"Aadhar" for national security and fighting crime

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
From my blog

http://sarvatravijay.wordpress.com/2013/10/15/aadhar-for-national-security-and-fighting-crime/

The national ID program of the UPA under the leadership of Nandan Nilekani, Aadhar was started which is to be used to deliver better services to the people.

While the efficacy of its intended purpose remains to be seen, the process to make the Aadhar by means of enrolling providing proof of address and more importantly fingerprints and retina scans can work wonders for both fighting crime as well as terrorism.

India should develop a system like the one in the United States. The Integrated Automated Fingerprint Identification System (IAFIS) a national automated fingerprint identification and criminal history system maintained by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). IAFIS provides automated fingerprint search capabilities, latent searching capability, electronic image storage, and electronic exchange of fingerprints and responses. IAFIS is the largest biometric database in the world, housing the fingerprints and criminal histories of 70 million subjects in the criminal master file, 31 million civil prints and fingerprints from 73,000 known and suspected terrorists processed by the U.S. or by international law enforcement agencies.

This will allow us to quickly compare fingerprints taken from crime scenes with the digitally stored fingerprints data in such a repository. The retina scan will confirm the identity of the person.

Where I feel the process could have been better and useful to fight terror is the collection of voice samples which stored digitally would have provided security agencies a ready access to millions of voice samples. I think the process can still be adopted for future enrollment as well as calling back third so have already enrolled to come back and provide voice samples.

A national database of fingerprints, voice samples & retina scans which is accessible to all law enforcement and security agencies will go a long way in fighting crime and also fighting terrorism. Aadhar enrollment will certainly be well worth the effort if its used in keeping the country safe.

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
Even though I agree with a national database and a single identification document for all social purposes. However, any security agency with access to all of this information will wield enormous power and will inevitably be used by politicians.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Even though I agree with a national database and a single identification document for all social purposes. However, any security agency with access to all of this information will wield enormous power and will inevitably be used by politicians.
The fingerprints have already been collected from those who have enrolled along with retina scan. Voice sample will help when you have intercepts of phone calls. It should have been done.

jmj_overlord

guys, what is the use of e-aadhar ? i already got my card, but yesterday i recieved a msg that e-aadhar has been sent......anyone ?

Spindrift

I am not for it..... reason being i do not trust the government with my biometric data.. consider this you are trying to expose a scam involving government officials and they want to discredit you... they conduct surveillance on you to find out what you normally do and where you go and build a pattern.. and then kill someone in a place where you would normally be based on your routine and then plant your fingerprints to make it a foolproof case.... normally, they would need to kind of hunt for your fingerprints, but because of Aadhar they have it on file... if you think that this is to farfetched then think again.

How to Fake Fingerprints: 6 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow

P.S. IAFIS has been deployed since 1999 and still 9/11 happened.... And more over such kind of technologies are more often used to control and harass the common law abiding citizens rather then going after criminals.

Last edited:

Free Karma

The big brother effect of this is scary especially when you see how the CBI is used by people in power., but what else can you do , I didnt really like it when I heard of it at the beginning, but then i can see the good side of it aswell.

dhananjay1

This is nothing new. All the governments have data on their citizens. The only difference with this proposal is that the data would be in digital format. In fact US government would have more access to personal data of any Indian with a google account than Indian government.

sasi

/"Aadhar" for national security and fighting crime/
as long as it is used for this is ok.
~
But Why link it with LPG,ration card,driving license, voteing card?
~
If i amn't wrong bangladeshi immgrants were the first to get "Aadhar" before Indians!
~

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
/"Aadhar" for national security and fighting crime/
as long as it is used for this is ok.
~
But Why link it with LPG,ration card,driving license, voteing card?
~
If i amn't wrong bangladeshi immgrants were the first to get "Aadhar" before Indians!
~
Aadhar Card is having many aspects .. first and mainly i think would be against rigging Elections then second would be for providing government subsidies and transfering funds directly in the individual accounts depending on the welfare scheme and already 7 banks are already working with Aadhar card . Aadhar card means even free bank account for those are below poverty line .

Seven banks go with Aadhaar : NPCI | My Aadhaar Card

The reason for linking
LPG,ration card is related to direct cash transfer to its welfare schemes and subsidies

Driving license to send direct violation slips

voting card to stop rigging

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
The fingerprints have already been collected from those who have enrolled along with retina scan. Voice sample will help when you have intercepts of phone calls. It should have been done.
Criminals will start to use gloves ! so simple and cheap way to avoid it.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Criminals will start to use gloves ! so simple and cheap way to avoid it.
They already do it. But as a lawyer you should know better, chalak se chalak mujrim koi na koi surag zaroor chhor jata hai

VIP

Ultra Nationalist
Country flag
I openly support agencies like NSA & its activity and aadhar is just a small fragment of big picture, but morality comes into the picture when such agencies are misused under political influence and we all know in India, political parties import votes from countries like Bangladesh. I don't think we can be more practical here, or we should not be more practical.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles