SC slaps Aadhar card

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
So SC has struck down the compulsory use of Aadhar cards: http://www.firstpost.com/business/w...usage-is-a-super-retrograde-step-2460186.html

The question whether Aadhaar should be made available for voluntary use of citizens to access all government schemes and financial services is well on its way to becoming the next big controversial issue. The Supreme Court, on Wednesday, refused to modify its 11 August order restricting the use of Aadhaar card for distribution of foodgrain under PDS, supply of kerosene oil and LPG.

The SC bench refused to hear the pleas by regulators, including the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) and Securities and exchange board of India (Sebi), on the status of Aadhaar usage in financial services, saying the matter has now been moved to a larger bench.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't understand if Modi Sarkar is so bullish on Aadhar cards then it should move ahead with legislation and provide enough checks and controls for individual privacy. They just want to buy out all private info. about individuals- typical mai-baap style Indian sarkar.

Spindrift

Well, understand the unstated legal premise which is contrary to the Constitutional principles and values. The State is cleverly turning the law abiding citizens to the status of prisoners or suspects. Since the State cannot force its law abiding citizens to provide personal "measurements" like finger prints/ photographs etc., that is why Identification of Prisoners Act, 1920 was enacted to provide power to forcibly take these measurements of convicts and suspects. By creating UID(Aadhar), the law abiding citizens are being reduced to status of prisoners or suspects for "measurements" exactly as done in Identification of Prisoners Act, 1920.

Rowdy

Co ja kurwa czytam!
Well here is how I look at the fiasco
a) If you want subsidy then govt has the right to fingerprint and "track" you.
b) Dont like privacy violations , don't get an Aadhar and you don't get subsidy.

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
Well here is how I look at the fiasco
a) If you want subsidy then govt has the right to fingerprint and "track" you.
b) Dont like privacy violations , don't get an Aadhar and you don't get subsidy.
It is not just about subsidy. I don't want subsidy but next time I want to open a bank account I will be forced to show Aadhar card and there lies the rub.

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
http://swarajyamag.com/economy/the-government-needs-to-get-cracking-on-the-niai-bill/

The NIAI Bill, which will give statutory status to the UIDAI, is important and necessary. It makes the UIDAI and the government accountable. The Narendra Modi government dragging its feet on this crucial Bill is inexplicable, especially when it has not hesitated to use the ordinance route on other far more politically contentious laws. After all, Aadhaar is central to its effort to deliver subsidies in a better targeted and more efficient way. So why not get the NIAI Bill through and end one aspect of the problem?

Ultimately, there has to be reason on all sides. Activists should stop hindering even the voluntary use of Aadhaar. And the government should address concerns on privacy and other implementation issues and get cracking on the NIAI Bill while addressing the flaws that the standing committee and other experts have pointed out.

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
Yeah .. it should be optional for people who do not want govt. subsidies.
But you know how govt. babus work. They need 5 proofs of being Indian and not having Aadhar will seal your fate if it becomes a norm. And govt. dept. are known to enforce norms.

For eg. I went for driving license and gave my passport copy as identity and address proof. But the guy still wanted my ration card and/ or bank passbook. 10 min of argument and then he passed my application given that I knew someone in RTO. Now imagine being a random Indian person without Aadhar.

Rowdy

Co ja kurwa czytam!
But you know how govt. babus work. They need 5 proofs of being Indian and not having Aadhar will seal your fate if it becomes a norm. And govt. dept. are known to enforce norms.

For eg. I went for driving license and gave my passport copy as identity and address proof. But the guy still wanted my ration card and/ or bank passbook. 10 min of argument and then he passed my application given that I knew someone in RTO. Now imagine being a random Indian person without Aadhar.
I know babus are the worst..............

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
It should be made compulsory for Identification purposes and subsidy only ! family lineage details must be added.

That guy must be an idiot as banks only ask for photo and address Id, DL/Aadhar/Election ID etc. :noidea:

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
I know babus are the worst..............
Another funny and annoying incident. Went to get international license and the RTO said they don't have it here and need to get it from lucknow. He still agreed to give it to me because I already filed the application and paid the fee.

Fast forward, I lost my license for a year without getting the international one in return. I go back next year and find my old license in the same file, they left last year. I took it back and said, I would never apply again for international license!!

Sakal Gharelu Ustad

Detests Jholawalas
Ambassador
It should be made compulsory for Identification purposes and subsidy only ! family lineage details must be added.

That guy must be an idiot as banks only ask for photo and address Id, DL/Aadhar/Election ID etc. :noidea:
Most govt. babus are there just to deflect the blame of wrong-doing. So, they ask for everything.

But Aadhar needs a legal backing and Modi govt. should come up with a law or scrap it.

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
Most govt. babus are there just to deflect the blame of wrong-doing. So, they ask for everything.

But Aadhar needs a legal backing and Modi govt. should come up with a law or scrap it.
One of my friend runs a Choice center and he told me that the same person can't create another Aadhaar card faking his identity as eye-scan prevents it, I don't know how correct he was but heard some similar incidents in my city. If so then it's very useful to identify Jihadis and illegal migrants.

Spindrift

Yeah, but if you are an illegal Bangladeshi they be more than happy to provide one with the required proofs :mad2:

Growup

Country flag
Countries like Malaysia, Singapore and China have mandatory National Registration Identity Cards .Aadhaar card issued in India should be made mandatory - India is a large country with many states-Aadhaar card acts for identification purposes for opening bank accounts, traffic summonses, tax filing and many other uses.Learn from countries like Singapore and Malaysia-DO NOT LEARN TO BE IGNORANT. Legislation need to be passed in Parliament as the NATIONAL REGISTRATION IDENTITY CARD ACT.

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
Aadhar card should bot be made mandatory, but voter registration card should contain the similar data of Aadhar card and collected and complied by the Govt agencies. Most of the complaint against Aadhar card is either why another id card and why non-govt contrators should collect the data. And, the 2nd one is valid. I read that more than 40 agencies have been involved in this which not only includes big companies but small companies too, with mostly temporary contractual people for data collection. This kind of sensitive data should be accessed by only people with due accountability, which the current set up sorely lack.

Growup

Country flag
Look at the following situations:
Situation 1:Supreme Court Judge from Delhi visits a brothel in North East India and dies of cardiac arrest- how to identify the death person.
Situation 2: Supreme Court Judge in the Capital city of Malaysia visits a brothel 500 kilometres away and dies of cardiac arrest- it is easy to identify the person-because it is mandatory to carry an Identity Card.

Learn from Countries like Malaysia and Singapore

sorcerer

Country flag

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles