Why Indians are so much obsessed with English Language?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Why should south Indian speak Hindi?
Why north Indian should speak Tamil or malyali???

Why not speak a language that unite us.
Whats the shame in speaking English??
It reminds us of our colonial past.
It teach us a lesson that divided we fall and united we stand.
Colonial history is part of us and I don't wanna distort history like Paki's do.
The language one speaks is the result of so many things. One of those is political or Economic domination or military victory....

People in Hydrabad speak Urdu because their Ars*es were battered by Urdu speaking rulers....

Indian speak English because we were English slaves for more than 700 years or so...

any doubt....... no body is advocating elimination of local languages but development of a link / national language. And by the way Hindi is not the local language of any place in India ....

UP people speak Khari Boli, Brija, Avadhi, Bhojpuri etc
Biharies speak, Bhojpuri, purbia, Maithili etc..

MP has its own local languages...

So do not get emotionally paranoid in the name of Hindi...

angeldude13

Lestat De Lioncourt
Country flag
Indonesia is much better than hellholes like UP, Bihar and Bengal and that too without English. Please list some countries using foreign langauge and having high Per Capita Income.
BTW, Indonesia is as much diverse as India with 300 different groups and ethnicities.
For the last time language has got nothing to do with economy and for the last time Indonesia doesn't have bhangi,chamar,thakur,Brahman and baniyas.

angeldude13

Lestat De Lioncourt
Country flag
The language one speaks is the result of so many things. One of those is political or Economic domination or military victory....

People in Hydrabad speak Urdu because their Ars*es were battered by Urdu speaking rulers....

Indian speak English because we were English slaves for more than 700 years or so...

any doubt....... no body is advocating elimination of local languages but development of a link / national language. And by the way Hindi is not the local language of any place in India ....

UP people speak Khari Boli, Brija, Avadhi, Bhojpuri etc
Biharies speak, Bhojpuri, purbia, Maithili etc..

MP has its own local languages...

So do not get emotionally paranoid in the name of Hindi...
Dude I am north Indian.
My maternal roots in mathura and my mom speak braj bhasha

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Dude I am north Indian.
My maternal roots in mathura and my mom speak braj bhasha
We are debating an issue irrespective of roots one has and the debate in essense is whether English is good as India's national language or it could be Hindi ? Or may be both?

The debate is what do we gain from English except for reading Vedas in English and knowing Tantra through John Avalon or Sir Woodroffe.

What shall I understand of India or Indian ethos or culture by studying Charles Dickens. Do I need to read Mulk Raj Anand or Malgudy Days or Panch Tantra in English.

Dude being mentally a slave is in Indian genes, be you from Mathura or Kanyakumari.

Being mentally slave of Sanskrit to Paersian to Arabic to Urdu and then English...

Avadhuta ... yugan yugan tum dasa...

angeldude13

Lestat De Lioncourt
Country flag
We are debating an issue irrespective of roots one has and the debate in essense is whether English is good as India's national language or it could be Hindi ? Or may be both?

The debate is what do we gain from English except for reading Vedas in English and knowing Tantra through John Avalon or Sir Woodroffe.

What shall I understand of India or Indian ethos or culture by studying Charles Dickens. Do I need to read Mulk Raj Anand or Malgudy Days or Panch Tantra in English.

Dude being mentally a slave is in Indian genes, be you from Mathura or Kanyakumari.

Being mentally slave of Sanskrit to Paersian to Arabic to Urdu and then English...

Avadhuta ... yugan yugan tum dasa...
Those things sounds good but iam a smart worker.
Majority world speaks english and hence english creates opportunities.
Didn't said we should forget our indigenous language.
I said I liked the two language system in that way a Tamil will speak Tamil and if he want to talk to his northern brethren then he would use english and of course he gets the benefit of speaking english as it provides even the dumbest person the opportunity to work in call centers and if he is smart enough he can migrate and become an NRI.
Remember the days when people said please don't kill the weak.
I always thought why mother nature is cruel to the weaks.A lion will always kill a weak,sick or injured prey.why???
Because that's smart work.why waste energy and kill a stronger zebra when a weak one will provide same meat.

Mother nature tell us to do smart work and smart work is being bilingual.

pankaj nema

Country flag
I tried to IGNORE this silly thread but since it has already crossed
10 pages ; I just cannot ignore it any more

English is the BEST language for many many things such
as science ; law ; medicine ; management , infact for any field of knowledge
ABOVE ALL for Money and Finance :namaste:

There are so many things of the contemporary and modern world that just cannot be
expressed or explained or written in Hindi

Believe me my mother tongue is Hindi

For a layman's perspective Doctors and Lawyers talk to their clients
in their local language for effective communication
but they themselves READ all their books and prepare their notes and papers in English

Even Engineers / CAs / MBAs discuss their professional and work related
matters is BOTH languages but finally the written word has to be in English

And finally many Hindi speaking professionals
STOP writing and reading Hindi after a certain age
as it is not needed

For me even Reading a Hindi news paper has become a very difficult task
:lol:

Last edited:

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Those things sounds good but iam a smart worker.
Majority world speaks english and hence english creates opportunities.
Didn't said we should forget our indigenous language.
I said I liked the two language system in that way a Tamil will speak Tamil and if he want to talk to his northern brethren then he would use english and of course he gets the benefit of speaking english as it provides even the dumbest person the opportunity to work in call centers and if he is smart enough he can migrate and become an NRI.
Remember the days when people said please don't kill the weak.
I always thought why mother nature is cruel to the weaks.A lion will always kill a weak,sick or injured prey.why???
Because that's smart work.why waste energy and kill a stronger zebra when a weak one will provide same meat.

Mother nature tell us to do smart work and smart work is being bilingual.
Yes ... the ideas and the thoughts are like that Brahmin who migrated from Sanskrit to Persian and then to Arabic and then to Urdu and to English to reamin in Durbar....

and so long as work is concerned the sense and sensibility of business dictates that the language spoken by the consumer is the king...

India is governed by local languages and not by English. All land revenue, records, administration, justice, welfare, elections, politics and media has to be local language based to be effective and functional...

The largest circulating papers in India are in Hindi...
One gets Malyalam Manoram too in Hindi...

largest selling music is in Hindi or local languages ... only slave mentality Public school students yap English

Hindi movies make the biggest buck.. created the largest movie industry

All those who changed the destiny of India wrote and spoke in local languages or Hindi .. hardly any one in English , name any ??

All saints of Hindi who influenced the masses wrote and spoke in Hindi or local languages including Maharishi Raman or for that matter Sankaravharya..

English is the language of Indian pseudo elites like Bollywood actors or actresses who acts in Hindi movies but give their interview in accented English

Hindi and local languages are there on mother earth .. English is in air....

nirranj

Country flag
Learning in mother tongue with English as the national link language is what is the way forward for us. Learning in mother tongue gives one the benefit of understanding things so easier and also enriches the already rich local science and engineering. by that way we will also get enough solutions for our ailments in science and engineering, for which we are forced to follow the western school of thought... English as the National link language makes every Indian to put an effort in learning a link language and there is no disadvantage of majority having to put in effort to learn Hindi, for which the Hindiwalas need not put in any effort...

If anybody want a Indian Language to be the Link language, then my vote is for Kannada.. It is more nearer to my Tamil and is closer to sanskrit than Hindi.

nirranj

Country flag
As far as Imposing English on the current generation of school goers! well that is giving me nightmares... I have seen Tamil Moms, hindi moms, Kannada Moms, Telugu moms, Mallu moms etc etc etc speaking with their Child in English and forcing them to speak only in English!!! Just yesterday in a Mall in Bangalore I saw a Tamil mom forcing her toddler to speak in English.. that poor child was begging her mom to take her in her arms in Tamil, but the mom Insisted the child to ask that in English... It happened for 5 mins and the child started to cry. The mom was not moved. Then the Dad came and took the Child in his arms and calmed her down... God save the Languages of India... Forcing children to learn English starts in homes and is taken to the next level in the Schools through harsh punishments (punishments in most cases with the parental consensus).

Pratap

Tihar Jail
Banned
For the last time language has got nothing to do with economy and for the last time Indonesia doesn't have bhangi,chamar,thakur,Brahman and baniyas.
India had bhangis, chamars and brahmins even in 1950( much rigid than now) and at that time, Indonesian per capita income was on par with India.

Pratap

Tihar Jail
Banned
Learning in mother tongue with English as the national link language is what is the way forward for us. Learning in mother tongue gives one the benefit of understanding things so easier and also enriches the already rich local science and engineering. by that way we will also get enough solutions for our ailments in science and engineering, for which we are forced to follow the western school of thought... English as the National link language makes every Indian to put an effort in learning a link language and there is no disadvantage of majority having to put in effort to learn Hindi, for which the Hindiwalas need not put in any effort...

If anybody want a Indian Language to be the Link language, then my vote is for Kannada.. It is more nearer to my Tamil and is closer to sanskrit than Hindi.
So a langauge spoken by 40 percent Indians and understood by 60 percent of Indians should be thrown in favour of Kannada a langauge of 4 percent of Indians.However, I recognize Kannada to have much glorious history than Hindi itself.

Pratap

Tihar Jail
Banned

There are so many things of the contemporary and modern world that just cannot be

but they themselves READ all their books and prepare their notes and papers in English

as it is not needed

By that logic, India should have never asked British to go back as they were dominant then and it required much effort. Tell me a single sentence of science and management and I will translate that for you. The legal terminology of Hindi is much complex than that western primitive Germanic tongue called English.

Pratap

Tihar Jail
Banned
Yes ... the ideas and the thoughts are like that Brahmin who migrated from Sanskrit to Persian and then to Arabic and then to Urdu and to English to reamin in Durbar....

and so long as work is concerned the sense and sensibility of business dictates that the language spoken by the consumer is the king...

India is governed by local languages and not by English. All land revenue, records, administration, justice, welfare, elections, politics and media has to be local language based to be effective and functional...

The largest circulating papers in India are in Hindi...
One gets Malyalam Manoram too in Hindi...

largest selling music is in Hindi or local languages ... only slave mentality Public school students yap English

Hindi movies make the biggest buck.. created the largest movie industry

All those who changed the destiny of India wrote and spoke in local languages or Hindi .. hardly any one in English , name any ??

All saints of Hindi who influenced the masses wrote and spoke in Hindi or local languages including Maharishi Raman or for that matter Sankaravharya..

English is the language of Indian pseudo elites like Bollywood actors or actresses who acts in Hindi movies but give their interview in accented English

Hindi and local languages are there on mother earth .. English is in air....
Subhas Chandra Bose, Gandhi and Tilak were certainly greater than Ray or angeldude and they advocated use of Hindi as link lanaguge and gave many speeches in Hindi despite being Bengali, Gujarati and Marathi respectively.

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
^^^ The above mentioned leaders have not lived in a era of global economy. And all of them were well versed in the english language. Some big guys said something 60-70 years ago, cannot be taken for its face value.

Call me greedy, by I love to eat and live in a good home, which was possible only because so many of my fellow students were afraid of english language. Actually, I should thanks all the political parties which discouraged study of english, that I got the job I am doing right now!

Anyways, there's no gain in banging one's head hoping for light of pragmatism to enter others brain! You people are the likes of CPI(M) who destroyed generations of citizens and total service industry along with social pride in being a society of educated people in West Bengal. You are the kind of people who will send their own kids to the best of the english medium schools when advocating for its abolition from govt. schools and institutions.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag

Science has its own language and that is not English. Abstraction of concept is mathematical subject and not that of English.

Law at ground level is practiced in local language . May be one can argue in English in High Court or Supreme Court.

How is English necessary for Money and finance. You must have heards of Munim's record, Bahi and Rokara.

For Example you mean to say the Vedic scholars who explained Calculus wrote it in English ?
your confidence in Hindi says otherwise.

Do Ayurvedic or Unani doctor do the same ? It is matter in what language the doctors were trained. They can be trained in Hindi also.

The crux of business of sales which is entirely a function of local language.

as it is not needed

For me it is the other way round. One can remain far way removed form India without knowing local language or Hindi.

Waffen SS

Despite my try, I failed to convince supporters of English medium education that, we are not against English education. We are against English medium education,

English language learning and English medium education are two completely different things.

@Pratap raised a good point comparing with Indonesia.

What English medium education has given us?

Some English school went wala youth with headphone in ear, talking Tanglish, Banglish, Hinglish work in shopping center(bye bye agriculture) and in Call centers of Foreign companies and spend night in Disco club.

Mean while price rise continues to happen, morality continues to go down.

So it is the development.:blah::blah: :facepalm: :facepalm:

No one here even, even an ultra-ultra Indian nationalist will ever claim to stop English language learning.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pratap

Tihar Jail
Banned
^^^ The above mentioned leaders have not lived in a era of global economy. And all of them were well versed in the english language. Some big guys said something 60-70 years ago, cannot be taken for its face value.

Call me greedy, by I love to eat and live in a good home, which was possible only because so many of my fellow students were afraid of english language. Actually, I should thanks all the political parties which discouraged study of english, that I got the job I am doing right now!

Anyways, there's no gain in banging one's head hoping for light of pragmatism to enter others brain! You people are the likes of CPI(M) who destroyed generations of citizens and total service industry along with social pride in being a society of educated people in West Bengal. You are the kind of people who will send their own kids to the best of the english medium schools when advocating for its abolition from govt. schools and institutions.

How come Indonesia using its language richer than India in this " globalized economy"? The kind of arguments you Indians are using is so laughable that
it explains backwardness of our India. If English is made langauge of edu and administartion, it is normal that you will have advantage over other Indians. Let Thai be made langauge of edu and administartion and you will see, English speakers finding themselves in corner.

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
How come Indonesia using its language richer than India in this " globalized economy"?
Perhaps because Indonasia is a small nation with only one main language and few dialects only? Perhaps because it has a tiny population compared to India? Perhaps because they are more industrious?

The kind of arguments you Indians are using is so laughable that
it explains backwardness of our India. If English is made langauge of edu and administartion, it is normal that you will have advantage over other Indians.
So my support for a international language which is used in every sector relating to jobs is my 'backwardness'? And using Hindi in every Govt. institution and thus, blocking over 60% of population from working in Govt. is forwardness? I wish your parents have followed the same ideology, I wouldn't have had to argue with you then?! HUH?

Let Thai be made langauge of edu and administartion and you will see, English speakers finding themselves in corner.
:shocked::confused::crazy:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles