Thousands flee violence in India's Assam

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
When people start seeing 'plans' in everything, it is usually a cause for alarm.

It should suffice to say Indians should be able to live on their own land, and these Indians can by quite a mix. Do you agree or disagree?
Then there is a possibility of a plan ! may be all are not involved in it, yet if relevant facts found then the possibility of a plan can not be rejected.

It should suffice to say Indians should be able to live on their own land, and these Indians can by quite a mix. Do you agree or disagree?
I agree, but I will say that no person from an enemy country should be allowed to mix here !

Oracle

If it is given a twist, as you claimed from your insider information, can you point me to any such source?
I too am not a big fan of reliability of main stream media myself and we all are ready to stand corrected if you give some source to back your assertion.
Read post # 421. Insider information does not guarantee giving out names in an open forum. It is not advisable. Ask any member of staff. Thought you'd know that. I presented a fact that I came to know from someone present in Kokrajhar during the incident. It's your call. Take it or leave it.

Oracle

I suggest a punishment of Life-time imprisonment for those who even after being legal Indian citizens help illegal BD migrants in any way to settle in Assam or any part in India . Now tell me can Congress govt. do this?
Good question. I would be rejoicing and raising a toast if such a law is passed. And why only Bangladeshis, same should be done for LTTE sympathizers in Tamilnadu too. Same for Pakistan sympathizers, if there are any. The bigger issue is that it needs collective political will. Did BJP do that when it was in power at the center? No. Why? I wonder.

pmaitra

Good question. I would be rejoicing and raising a toast if such a law is passed. And why only Bangladeshis, same should be done for LTTE sympathizers in Tamilnadu too. Same for Pakistan sympathizers, if there are any. The bigger issue is that it needs collective political will. Did BJP do that when it was in power at the center? No. Why? I wonder.
One man's terrorist is another man's 'martyr' [sic.].

Don't you know, as long as you are non-Muslim, you have the clean chit to do whatsoever you please?

Oracle

I know dude. That is La-Whor(e)i logic, which some of Countrymen have fallen for. These *edited* are so biased that they cannot even decipher the reason for the mindless hatred they have for other communities.

Don't you know, as long as you are non-Muslim, you have the clean chit to do whatsoever you please?
Hehehe. *edited*

Last edited by a moderator:

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
I agree with the bold part !

So far as the period of BJP is concerned I don't think that BJP has been elected with absolute majority any time and has formed govt. more than 5 years+13 days only, while Congress has ruled us almost for 80% time after the independence, so the question goes directly to the Congress party ! BJP is not like a superman who can take a whole island on its shoulders and change the circumstance of the whole country in just 5 years + 13 days.

Lol! that is why Bodo Hindus alongwith Bodo Christians are dying and getting challenged by illegal Bangladeshi Muslim migrants (infiltrators) !?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Isn't there some such law that prevents non tribal settling in tribal areas?

Boros are tribal.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Can someone explain the issue to me ?

1. Bangladeshi muslims are settling on Bodo lands
2. Bodos resented this and there were Bodo vs Bangladeshi Muslim clashes
3. These clashes turned into Muslim (bd+Indian) vs Bodo clashes

Any other points ?

Oracle

I agree with the bold part !

So far as the period of BJP is concerned I don't think that BJP has been elected with absolute majority any time and has formed govt. more than 5 years+13 days only,
I'm sorry to say but this is an excuse. 5 years is enough time, if BJP had the political will. I do not think if BJP then, had moved in a resolution which targeted illegal Bangladeshi immigrants residing in different parts of the Country and deported them, any political party including the Congress would have objected to it. If however Congress did object, that would have been political suicide for the Congress, for then all Hindus would have voted en masse' for the BJP. I have voted for BJP in the past, but I'm disillusioned right now.

Now comes coalition politics as you mentioned. Why then do we fail to see the resolve of PM MMS even in turbulent times, and the subsequent blackmail from regional parties of W.B. and TN. Is it because he is a Congressman? Most posters criticize Congress, I do too. But where do our sense of balanced and unbiased posting goes when it comes to Congress at the center. I see no BJP followers criticizing the DMK for their corruption or TMC blocking reforms.

while Congress has ruled us almost for 80% time after the independence, so the question goes directly to the Congress party ! BJP is not like a superman who can take a whole island on its shoulders and change the circumstance of the whole country in just 5 years + 13 days.
No, it does not. I raised the issue of BJP. You cannot deflect from that point and again bring in the Congress here. The thing is BJP did nothing in the illegal immigration issue. Superman or not, did BJP even try to pass any resolution in the first place? Sorry Sir, they did not. You cannot pass on the blame to some other party just because they ruled 80% of the time post independence. This is called victim mentality. One where we do not see our faults, and blame others.

And Congress did nothing either. But most land demarcations along the Bangladesh border, border fencing work have been done during Congress rule at the center.

Last edited:

Oracle

Isn't there some such law that prevents non tribal settling in tribal areas?

Boros are tribal.
Good question. There are laws that prevent non tribals settling in tribal areas. In actuality, that means non tribals can stay and work but cannot buy land. Which means, at the end of their work life, they have to move out, or continue live on rent.

But most of those laws were made much later after independence. So non tribals who are already settled and have papers continue to be seen as locals. In my district, even the PM of India cannot buy land if he does not belong to that place. I have some 100+ acres. :D

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

The facts don't indicate so.

Take the change of the Constitution to suit the diktats of the Mullahs in the Shah Bano case.

Take the innumerable fatwas that are given totally contrary to the social fabric of the country.

Take the manner in which the Muslim leaders of India are in self denial, to include the Bodoland carnage (Rehmani in particular)

Take the issue of the CM of Assam that there are no illegals from Bangladesh.

Take the example of Kashmir and the ethic cleansing of the Valley.

Or the way Modi is not being allowed to go off the hook till the Courts decide.

One could enumerate many but then why rock the boat?

All sorts of people from every single religion can go scot free!

Therefore, that quote of yours, in all fairness, is a trifle incorrect.

However, you could correct me.

I will hasten to add that I am anti none.

I am merely pro India and all this hoodwinking and political correctness is getting my goat since it is rocking the very foundation of the concept of India a nation beyond the religious divide.

All I see is that in these last 60 years plus, the politicians for selfish interest have made the divide even more strong and permeating into our pores!

Last edited:

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
I believe I posted a very persuasive argument from a blogger, earlier this year, on why one man's terrorist is not another man's freedom fighter.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
BJP even try to pass any resolution in the first place?
BJP did pass a resolution and I have appended it somewhere in my post.

But then, resolutions are merely pieces of paper and nothing else.

Every political party lacks the will!

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
When people start seeing 'plans' in everything, it is usually a cause for alarm.

Indians are quite a mix. The Bharatiyata we are accustomed to singing paeans of is Hindutva, only being called by other name. This thread of Hindutva has bound a whole subcontinent together. Any person living in Hindustan and patriotic to the motherland, is a Hindu regardless what his personal religion might be. Understand this that Sanatan Dharma is subtly different from what the popular perception of 'Hinduism' is.
In this context, does the matter of a 'plan' existing to decimate this Sanatan Dharma and establish a communal religion become relevant. It is no secret that Muslims since the days of Mughal fall have harboured the desire of completing the unfinished business of converting people into their religion and making Bharatvarsh an Islamic republic. You are free, in this country, to not see the very clear and the very real design. However, denial of it existing does not amount to it becoming non-existent. Know that they have a plan, and also know that there are people who are iron-willed to stop such a plan from ever seeing the light of day. What you are seeing in Assam, abstractly, delineates the will of such people not allowing illegal, unwanted 'guests' more than what they deserve. One would be naive to expect that what is happening in Assam is isolated incident and a large section of people do not think this way. you see, when the rug is pulled from beneath someone's feet and he experiences a fall and gets hurt, that is when the animal instincts come out. Not surprisingly, by being such indecisive pussyfoots, the pseudo-seculars are paving the way for demise of their votebank.
Come come now, let us be rational, don't you think the people of India have conceded too much, too long to people coming from outside the borders of India and settling illegally?
Why broad brush every attack on a refugee as an attack even on Muslims born and bred here?

Oracle

BJP did pass a resolution and I have appended it somewhere in my post.

But then, resolutions are merely pieces of paper and nothing else.

Every political party lacks the will!
If BJP indeed had passed such a resolution, I'd like to read it. However, right now I'd take your word for it. And political will is something I did mention in my earlier post.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
It is no secret that Muslims since the days of Mughal fall have harboured the desire of completing the unfinished business of converting people into their religion and making Bharatvarsh an Islamic republic.
How far is that statement true?

Has someone said so?

Conjectures, at best!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
If BJP indeed had passed such a resolution, I'd like to read it. However, right now I'd take your word for it. And political will is something I did mention in my earlier post.
I have appended it in one of my post.

Pl;ease trawl and you will discover it.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
@Oracle,

You make me work overtime.

Here it is for you:

Resolution on the Situation in Assam and North-East passed in BJP National Executive Meeting at Guwahati (Assam)
Resolution on the Situation in Assam and North-East passed in BJP National Executive Meeting at Guwahati (Assam)

Saturday, 08 January 2011
Share on facebookShare on twitterMore Sharing Services
PDF Hindi Format

Assam and other States of the North-East have a unique geopolitical situation as it is surrounded by five countries, Bhutan, Nepal, China, Myanmar and Bangladesh. The entire North-East is a land of immense beauty, diversity and extra-ordinary potential. It represents some of the finest attributes of our rich and diverse cultural and civilisational heritage. The people of North-East, proud Indians; are embodiment of this rich heritage. Yet, it is ironic and tragic that the entire North-East in varying measures, is today afflicted with the scourge of corruption, extremism, terrorism, mal-governance and infiltration from across the border, aided and abated by rank vote bank politics of the Congress which is in power in most of the States of North-East. All this has heightened the misery of the people. The bigger irony is that all this is happening when the Prime Minister of India Dr. Manmohan Singh is a Member of Parliament (Rajya Sabha) from the North-East, representing the state of Assam. The BJP has consciously decided to have a special resolution on the disturbing and alarming situation in the North-East not only to focus upon its problems but also to reiterate its pledge that it stands by the people of Assam and the North-East and would do everything possible to ensure a better condition for them.

Infiltration from Bangladesh

The rampant infiltration from Bangladesh into Assam, various parts of North-East and many other parts of India including Delhi has today acquired alarming proportion. In fact the flow of immigrants to Assam, in particular has reached dangerous proportions. Census statistics bear testimony to this dangerous trend. In 1991 there were 1.18 crores voters in Assam. This increased to 1.44 crores in 2001 and 1.79 crores in 2010 a rise of 61 lacs in two decades. Out of 126 Assembly Constituencies in the State 82 recorded over 7% growth per annum in the number of voters between 2004 (Lok Sabha Elections) and 2006 (Vidhan Sabha Elections). This may be contrasted with the figure of 1.67% growth per annum in all India voters between 1999 and 2004. Out of these 82 Assembly constituencies, 18 recorded over 10% annual growth with Dhekiajuli recording a highest growth rate of 22.5% per annum. The rampant infiltration is not only changing demography but also seriously impacting the polity of the country. If such a dangerous situation is not controlled then who knows in not too distant a future there is every apprehension of an infiltrator becoming the Chief Minister of Assam.

There is substantial evidence available to suggest that the Congress Party has deliberately turned a blind eye to this danger in spite of repeated warning from responsible quarters and even sought to undo directions of the Supreme Court in this connection. In fact the notorious IMDT Act (Illegal Migrants Determination by Tribunals Act) 1983 was brought by the Congress Government which made it impossible for citizens who are residents in Assam to secure the detection and deportation of foreigners/ illegal immigrants. The Act enacted with the professed aim of detecting and deporting infiltrators, in fact, became an instrument to perpetuate their stay in Assam. Under the Foreigners Act 1946, applicable to the entire country; the onus was on the illegal immigrants to prove that he was an Indian citizen, whereas, under the IMDT the responsibility was on the complainant to prove the same. This discriminatory law, which proved to be completely ineffective in detection and deportation of infiltrators, was challenged before the Supreme Court. During the course of hearing, when the NDA was in power it took a very clear stand that the application of the IMDT Act to the State of Assam alone is clearly discriminatory and the Government is considering to repeal it. However, when the NDA Government went out of power in May 2004, the UPA Government headed by Congress filed another affidavit before the Supreme Court stating that the Central Government has reconsidered the matter and taken a decision to retain the IMDT Act in present form in its application to the State of Assam. This showed the clear intention of Congress that it did not want to take any action against the infiltrators.

The Supreme Court examined the entire matter in detail including the historical background, the report of the then Governor, Assam about the dangerous implications of rampant infiltration and concluded that "There can be no manner of doubt that the State of Assam is facing external aggression and internal disturbance on account of large scale illegal migration of Bangladeshi nationals and it becomes the duty of the Union of India to take all measures for protection of the State of Assam because it poses a threat to the integrity and security of the North-Eastern region". The Apex Court, accordingly, by its Judgement of 22 July 2005 declared the IMDT as un constitutional and directed that all cases of illegal migrants shall now be decided in the manner provided in the Foreigners Act, as well as, the procedure prescribed under the Foreigners (Tribunals) Orders 1964.

It is indeed shocking that instead of obeying the mandate of the said judgement, the UPA Government headed by the Congress sought to nullify the direction in the said judgement. It amended the Foreigners (Tribunals) Orders 1964 and by a notification of 2006 held that Foreigners Act in effect shall not apply to the State of Assam. This meant that no action could be taken against the illegal immigrants. The Supreme Court, in the second round of litigation by its judgement of Dec 5, 2006 held that "the amendment by 2006 order has been issued just as a cover up for non-implementation of the earlier direction of this Court". The Court observed "that we have to lament once again that there is a lack of will in the matter of ensuring that illegal immigrants are sent out of the country. The Court quashed the 2006 order and directed the Union and State Government to forthwith implement the earlier direction of this Court to detect and deport the illegal immigrants under the Foreigners Act.

It is the Charge of BJP that purely for a vote bank politics the Congress Government in Assam duly aided by the present Central Government has a vested interest in promoting infiltration. Because of continuing infiltration, the indigenous Asssames people are losing control of their land while illegal Bangladeshis have embarked on a large scale land grab policy of Satra land, forest land, grazing land and even Tribal land. The Char land that is the sand island created with the changing course of river has also been settled with the family of illegal migrants in big areas by the State Government by giving them Pattas. These illegal immigrants are also contributing, assisting and fomenting the spread of terror, extremism and separatism, which seriously impinges on the security and integrity of India. They are also seriously encroaching upon the employment opportunities of the native people of Assam, North-East and in other parts of the country wherever they are going.

The BJP makes it very clear that all those native and indigenous Muslims who are traditionally born and brought up in Assam since generations are not infiltrators and are entitled to all the respect and rights due to an Indian citizen. At the same time it should also be made very clear that Hindus who are forced to come to India because of persecution and discrimination in Bangladesh only because they are in minority; cannot be called infiltrators. They are in fact displaced persons who are entitled to shelter in India. They must be given the rights of citizens and must allowed to settle in India which is an obligation of Governments.

The BJP National Executive makes the following demands:

i) Prompt steps be taken to detect and deport all the illegal immigrants from Assam and other parts of North-East under the provisions of the Foreigners Act in a time bound manner as directed repeatedly by the Supreme Court.

ii) The Election Commission must ensure the deletion of the names of illegal infiltrators from the voter list as demanded by the BJP through a memorandum submitted recently. In accordance with the Constitution only citizens can vote and the directions of the Supreme Court is equally binding on the Election Commission.

iii) There should be proper border fencing on our international borders in the North-East with different countries including Bangladesh. On the western border such fencing has been done. There must be special security monitoring at the river end passing through both the countries.

iv) In view of the sensitive and critical situation in Assam and North-East because of rampant infiltration; compulsory registration of every citizen, issue of national identity card and maintenance of National Register of citizens as required under Section 14-A of the Citizenship Act 1955 must be undertaken on a priority basis in these areas.

Rampant Corruption in North-East under Congress regime

Almost the entire North-East most of which is ruled by Congress or, Congress led Governments is today plagued with massive corruption, loot of public money with blatant political patronage and rampant deprivation of the benefits meant for the poor under privileged and people below the poverty line. A disturbing nexus of politicians including Ministers in the Government, bureaucrats, contractors and suppliers has conspired to undertake a systematic loot of public money including grants from the Government of India. There is widespread nexus between corruption and loot of development funds between ruling establishment and the militants. The BJP will bring out a comprehensive booklet exposing this massive corruption. It also proposes to submit a memorandum to the Hon'ble President of India in this connection. However, some of the instances of these corruptions are being highlighted below to demonstrate the enormity of these scams which have acquired monumental proportion:

"¢ The NC Hill scam in Assam, manipulation of transport subsidy, irrigation scam has ruined Assam. The National Investigation Agency (NIA) unearthed a scam of around Rs. 1000 crores in the North Kachar Hills Autonomous District Council. Many Ministers and several bureaucrats have been identified by NIA as the beneficiaries of the scam. A huge amount of Rs. 13.45 crores in cash was recovered by the CBI from the House of scamsters.

"¢ Around one crore people in Assam have been declared as below poverty line (BPL). It is alleged that nearly 50% of rice meant for these BPL families amounting to Rs. 1000 crores goes straight to black market. There is serious leakage, corruption and manipulation in the Public Distribution System (PDS) in Assam.

"¢ Arunachal Pradesh witnessed the country's biggest PDS scandal where the former Congress Chief Minister Gegong Apang along with around 100 ruling party leaders and officials were found involved in black marketing of ration/PDS food grains in this Rs. 1000 crores fraud the former Chief Minister was arrested by the Special Investigation Cell constituted by the Guwahati High Court.

"¢ In Manipur, there is huge loot to the extent of Rs. 244 crores in the name of cleaning the Loktak Lake. The lake clean up project sponsored and funded by the Government of India, money is going down the drain. The firm to whom the contract was awarded was found to be dubious and it was linked to some alleged relations of the Chief Minister of Manipur.

"¢ The SGRY Scam and the Hydropower allotment scam of Arunachal Pradesh are almost similar to the notorious 2G spectrum scam.

"¢ There are scams in implementation of projects under the Jawaharlal Nehru Urban Renewal Mission, food control and distribution, drinking water, construction of dams and even in recruitments.

"¢ Mining allotment has become a major source of corruption in North-East.

The BJP is committed to undertake a massive crusade against this operation loot of public money meant for the poor and the needy. This massive corruption has only increased the poverty and backwardness of the North-eastern States. The CAG, the media and even the Courts have seriously commented upon the same. The BJP National Executive demands the following:

i) There must prompt investigation by the NIA, CBI and other agencies and all the accused must be prosecuted for which Special Fast Track Court be established.

ii) There must be special audit of all these scams.

iii) The property of all these scamsters including of the Minister involved as well as bureaucrats must be seized.

Strategic security in the North-East

The entire North-East has a very unique geopolitical situation as stated earlier. The North-East is also an import economy where the economic lifeline of any region could be throttled by any State or, non State actor with little effort. The overpowering expansionist design of China also keeps on recurring with alarming regularity particularly in regards to borders as well as a malicious claim over the State of Arunachal which is an would remain an integral part of India. River Brahmaputra is the lifeline of the North-East and the reported decision of China to construct a series of dams at the source of river Brahmaputra would have a serious impact on the economic and social life of the entire region. The Government of India must undertake a proper impact assessment study of these dams keeping the interest of North-East in mind. Insurgency, separatism and terrorism play their own part in creating a situation of uncertainty in the region. The overpowering influence of ISI sponsored Jehadi outfits in neighbouring Bangladesh having their own linkage and assistance to separatist group operating in the North-East continues to remain a serious threat. This has to be handled with a firm hand.

It is indeed curious that when the election to Assam assembly is so close, we are hearing again the reported effort of talk between a section of ULFA leaders and the Government. It is too well known in public domain that the Congress Party in Assam has taken overt and covert support of the ULFA elements to better its electoral prospects in the past. Naturally this has foreign policy implication as well. We understand that the Government of Bhutan is not very happy over these developments as upon the request of Government of India earlier, Bhutan has taken strong military action against ULFA elements who had taken shelter in the forest of Bhutan. The signal to Bangaladesh would also not be very happy because on the one hand India wants strong action to be taken against ULFA elements in Bangladesh and at the same time going for peace talk in an adhoc and non-transparent manner. What is the condition of release of some ULFA leaders is also not known. The BJP is very clear that any peace talk with ULFA must be held within the frame work of our constitution, on a long term sustained basis and in a transparent manner where violence and armed struggle has no place at all. Any election driven initiative of talk by Congress is deeply reprehensible.

Therefore, the security in the North-East needs to be seen not in mere policing terms but as a complex intersection of foreign affairs, military, internal and strategic security as also a meaningful resolution of economic issues. The NDA led by the BJP when it was in power at the Centre had established the Department of North-Eastern Affairs as also undertaken a whole range of other measures. The security interest is also equally important. A safe and secure North-East is vital for India. There has to be due coordination on the security issues in the entire North-East under the overall command and control of National Security Council. The Centre must take adequate steps to ensure this coordination in an appropriate manner.

Lastly, it is very important that both the Centre and State Government must ensure that the North-East which is more than 1600-2000 (appr) Km. away from Delhi and is still inaccessible in many areas must be given proper support for development of infrastructure and capacity building. It was during the NDA that the National Highway programme was also planned to be extended till the North-East but has almost been put in the cold storage. This is deeply regrettable.

Last edited:

maomao

Veteran Hunter of Maleecha
Country flag
The facts don't indicate so.

Take the change of the Constitution to suit the diktats of the Mullahs in the Shah Bano case.

Take the innumerable fatwas that are given totally contrary to the social fabric of the country.

Take the manner in which the Muslim leaders of India are in self denial, to include the Bodoland carnage (Rehmani in particular)

Take the issue of the CM of Assam that there are no illegals from Bangladesh.

Take the example of Kashmir and the ethic cleansing of the Valley.

Or the way Modi is not being allowed to go off the hook till the Courts decide.

One could enumerate many but then why rock the boat?

All sorts of people from every single religion can go scot free!

Therefore, that quote of yours, in all fairness, is a trifle incorrect.

However, you could correct me.

I will hasten to add that I am anti none.

I am merely pro India and all this hoodwinking and political correctness is getting my goat since it is rocking the very foundation of the concept of India a nation beyond the religious divide.

All I see is that in these last 60 years plus, the politicians for selfish interest have made the divide even more strong and permeating into our pores!
So true, however, I would like to add one more point i.e. religious theologies have been dividing humans from time immemorial. The more theocratic and. Puritanical the religion the more decisive and hate filled the religion becomes over time.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles