Thousands flee violence in India's Assam

amitkriit

I believe I posted a very persuasive argument from a blogger, earlier this year, on why one man's terrorist is not another man's freedom fighter.
I say it again, if it comes to us vs them, and no middle ground can be found, then what matters is our views on the issue, not theirs. "One man's terrorist can be other man's freedom fighter", only for a neutral observer who will never have to suffer, who will never have to loose anything, not for those who are fighting the battle on ground.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
@Oracle

Read it.

It is time to open up our eyes.

It is not BJP or Congress for us, or at least for me.

It is ensuring that the demography is not changed and no genuine Indian Muslim is harmed!

This is important

There is substantial evidence available to suggest that the Congress Party has deliberately turned a blind eye to this danger in spite of repeated warning from responsible quarters and even sought to undo directions of the Supreme Court in this connection. In fact the notorious IMDT Act (Illegal Migrants Determination by Tribunals Act) 1983 was brought by the Congress Government which made it impossible for citizens who are residents in Assam to secure the detection and deportation of foreigners/ illegal immigrants. The Act enacted with the professed aim of detecting and deporting infiltrators, in fact, became an instrument to perpetuate their stay in Assam. Under the Foreigners Act 1946, applicable to the entire country; the onus was on the illegal immigrants to prove that he was an Indian citizen, whereas, under the IMDT the responsibility was on the complainant to prove the same. This discriminatory law, which proved to be completely ineffective in detection and deportation of infiltrators, was challenged before the Supreme Court. During the course of hearing, when the NDA was in power it took a very clear stand that the application of the IMDT Act to the State of Assam alone is clearly discriminatory and the Government is considering to repeal it. However, when the NDA Government went out of power in May 2004, the UPA Government headed by Congress filed another affidavit before the Supreme Court stating that the Central Government has reconsidered the matter and taken a decision to retain the IMDT Act in present form in its application to the State of Assam. This showed the clear intention of Congress that it did not want to take any action against the infiltrators.

The Supreme Court examined the entire matter in detail including the historical background, the report of the then Governor, Assam about the dangerous implications of rampant infiltration and concluded that "There can be no manner of doubt that the State of Assam is facing external aggression and internal disturbance on account of large scale illegal migration of Bangladeshi nationals and it becomes the duty of the Union of India to take all measures for protection of the State of Assam because it poses a threat to the integrity and security of the North-Eastern region". The Apex Court, accordingly, by its Judgement of 22 July 2005 declared the IMDT as un constitutional and directed that all cases of illegal migrants shall now be decided in the manner provided in the Foreigners Act, as well as, the procedure prescribed under the Foreigners (Tribunals) Orders 1964.

It is indeed shocking that instead of obeying the mandate of the said judgement, the UPA Government headed by the Congress sought to nullify the direction in the said judgement. It amended the Foreigners (Tribunals) Orders 1964 and by a notification of 2006 held that Foreigners Act in effect shall not apply to the State of Assam. This meant that no action could be taken against the illegal immigrants. The Supreme Court, in the second round of litigation by its judgement of Dec 5, 2006 held that "the amendment by 2006 order has been issued just as a cover up for non-implementation of the earlier direction of this Court". The Court observed "that we have to lament once again that there is a lack of will in the matter of ensuring that illegal immigrants are sent out of the country. The Court quashed the 2006 order and directed the Union and State Government to forthwith implement the earlier direction of this Court to detect and deport the illegal immigrants under the Foreigners Act.

Last edited:

Oracle

@Oracle

Read it.

It is time to open up our eyes.

It is not BJP or Congress for us, or at least for me.

It is ensuring that the demography is not changed and no genuine Indian Muslim is harmed!

This is important

There is substantial evidence available to suggest that the Congress Party has deliberately turned a blind eye to this danger in spite of repeated warning from responsible quarters and even sought to undo directions of the Supreme Court in this connection. In fact the notorious IMDT Act (Illegal Migrants Determination by Tribunals Act) 1983 was brought by the Congress Government which made it impossible for citizens who are residents in Assam to secure the detection and deportation of foreigners/ illegal immigrants. The Act enacted with the professed aim of detecting and deporting infiltrators, in fact, became an instrument to perpetuate their stay in Assam. Under the Foreigners Act 1946, applicable to the entire country; the onus was on the illegal immigrants to prove that he was an Indian citizen, whereas, under the IMDT the responsibility was on the complainant to prove the same. This discriminatory law, which proved to be completely ineffective in detection and deportation of infiltrators, was challenged before the Supreme Court. During the course of hearing, when the NDA was in power it took a very clear stand that the application of the IMDT Act to the State of Assam alone is clearly discriminatory and the Government is considering to repeal it. However, when the NDA Government went out of power in May 2004, the UPA Government headed by Congress filed another affidavit before the Supreme Court stating that the Central Government has reconsidered the matter and taken a decision to retain the IMDT Act in present form in its application to the State of Assam. This showed the clear intention of Congress that it did not want to take any action against the infiltrators.

The Supreme Court examined the entire matter in detail including the historical background, the report of the then Governor, Assam about the dangerous implications of rampant infiltration and concluded that "There can be no manner of doubt that the State of Assam is facing external aggression and internal disturbance on account of large scale illegal migration of Bangladeshi nationals and it becomes the duty of the Union of India to take all measures for protection of the State of Assam because it poses a threat to the integrity and security of the North-Eastern region". The Apex Court, accordingly, by its Judgement of 22 July 2005 declared the IMDT as un constitutional and directed that all cases of illegal migrants shall now be decided in the manner provided in the Foreigners Act, as well as, the procedure prescribed under the Foreigners (Tribunals) Orders 1964.

It is indeed shocking that instead of obeying the mandate of the said judgement, the UPA Government headed by the Congress sought to nullify the direction in the said judgement. It amended the Foreigners (Tribunals) Orders 1964 and by a notification of 2006 held that Foreigners Act in effect shall not apply to the State of Assam. This meant that no action could be taken against the illegal immigrants. The Supreme Court, in the second round of litigation by its judgement of Dec 5, 2006 held that "the amendment by 2006 order has been issued just as a cover up for non-implementation of the earlier direction of this Court". The Court observed "that we have to lament once again that there is a lack of will in the matter of ensuring that illegal immigrants are sent out of the country. The Court quashed the 2006 order and directed the Union and State Government to forthwith implement the earlier direction of this Court to detect and deport the illegal immigrants under the Foreigners Act.
I have read it somewhere. Thanks for sharing. And you're correct, it is not about BJP or Congress to me either. That Congress rides on votes from a section of unwanted people is open for all to see, particularly when the CM of Assam gives out a statement that there are no illegal Bangladeshis in Assam.

The lack of political will has created an unrest amongst the residents of Assam. Whenever ethnic violence breaks out, even innocent Indian Muslims are caught in the crossfire and killed. Whatever be the issue, I strongly object to bloodbath. No one has the right to take a life, when they cannot give one.

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
How far is that statement true?

Has someone said so?

Conjectures, at best!
As true as Millitancy in Kashmir, the many wars that has been fought, the Parliament attack, the bomb blasts, the Mumbai attack and the list goes on. I hope you do not suppose that these were aimless and unrelated incidents. Also it is too optimistic and too diplomatic to say that the conflict between India and Pakistan is not a conflict of ideas and religions but merely a conflict between two states wanting to have greater territories. Even if the latter is true, I hope you do recognise the theocratic origins of Pakistan and the ideological origin of Bharatvarsh/Akhand Bharat.
Has someone said so? Well Sir, if someone said that the Sun would rise in the western horizon tomorrow, does it mean it will? My point being, will anyone declaiming that the Islamic aim not being the Islamization of India will make it so?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
The illegal immigrants are making things difficult for genuine Indian Muslim.

And idiots like Rehmani with their obfuscation and pulling wool when the facts prove otherwise, is adding fuel to the fire.

It is time to see through these idiotic statements, face reality and clear the air and the ensure the vibrant homogeneity of the nation.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
As true as Millitancy in Kashmir, the many wars that has been fought, the Parliament attack, the bomb blasts, the Mumbai attack and the list goes on. I hope you do not suppose that these were aimless and unrelated incidents. Also it is too optimistic and too diplomatic to say that the conflict between India and Pakistan is not a conflict of ideas and religions but merely a conflict between two states wanting to have greater territories. Even if the latter is true, I hope you do recognise the theocratic origins of Pakistan and the ideological origin of Bharatvarsh/Akhand Bharat.
Has someone said so? Well Sir, if someone said that the Sun would rise in the western horizon tomorrow, does it mean it will? My point being, will anyone declaiming that the Islamic aim not being the Islamization of India will make it so?
True.

Not taking any sides.

Have you heard of Akhand Bharat being propounded?

I have heard it.

It does not make me comfortable at all!

Why?

It is a delusion!

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
I'm sorry to say but this is an excuse. 5 years is enough time, if BJP had the political will. I do not think if BJP then, had moved in a resolution which targeted illegal Bangladeshi immigrants residing in different parts of the Country and deported them, any political party including the Congress would have objected to it. If however Congress did object, that would have been political suicide for the Congress, for then all Hindus would have voted en masse' for the BJP. I have voted for BJP in the past, but I'm disillusioned right now.
I don't think so, there are 1000s of central acts and laws in India, and it is not possible to enact/amend all the necessary laws in a single period of simple majority rule. It needs to be given a chance for at least 15-20 years while we have given chance to Cong for 50 + years.

Now comes coalition politics as you mentioned. Why then do we fail to see the resolve of PM MMS even in turbulent times, and the subsequent blackmail from regional parties of W.B. and TN. Is it because he is a Congressman? Most posters criticize Congress, I do too. But where do our sense of balanced and unbiased posting goes when it comes to Congress at the center. I see no BJP followers criticizing the DMK for their corruption or TMC blocking reforms.
It is unfair to say so and compare BJP with Congress which has enjoyed 50+ years of central rule out of 65 years of independence, and most of the time nearly with absolute majority, while BJP has formed govt. only for once except that 13 days govt.

No, it does not. I raised the issue of BJP. You cannot deflect from that point and again bring in the Congress here. The thing is BJP did nothing in the illegal immigration issue. Superman or not, did BJP even try to pass any resolution in the first place? Sorry Sir, they did not. You cannot pass on the blame to some other party just because they ruled 80% of the time post independence. This is called victim mentality. One where we do not see our faults, and blame others.
Lol! I raised the issue of Congress in my post #460 then you brought the BJPin your post # 463 BJP needs a good majority to have a good governance, let us give BJP a chance to rule us for more than only 20 years and see what happens, if they do not make strict laws then vote someone else.

And Congress did nothing either. But most land demarcations along the Bangladesh border, border fencing work have been done during Congress rule at the center.
Obviously ! Congress didn't do any Ehsaan by demarcating border lines, the point is Congress has grossly failed to secure our borders from infiltrators even after getting a chance to rule us for more than 50 years still BD Muslims are infiltrating here and it's a shame.

Last edited:

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
True.

Not taking any sides.

Have you heard of Akhand Bharat being propounded?

I have heard it.

It does not make me comfortable at all!

Why?

It is a delusion!
I agree.
In the present scenario it is a delusion indeed. No denying that. Until and unless the demographics of the whole subcontinent changes, perhaps due to a great war or some natural catastrophe, it is not possible. Even to start such an effort would require the complete dissolution of the three nations Pakistan, India and Bangladesh. Akhand Bharat is simply infeasible in the present context.
However this is as far off topic as we can go. maybe this should be discussed in a separate thread.

Oracle

The NC Hill scam in Assam, manipulation of transport subsidy, irrigation scam has ruined Assam. The National Investigation Agency (NIA) unearthed a scam of around Rs. 1000 crores in the North Kachar Hills Autonomous District Council. Many Ministers and several bureaucrats have been identified by NIA as the beneficiaries of the scam. A huge amount of Rs. 13.45 crores in cash was recovered by the CBI from the House of scamsters.
I highlighted this issue in this forum even before mainstream media highlighted it. And then this news fizzled out. Apparently, Congress did not want this issue to get highlighted. And surprise, Tarun Gogoi won again.

Out of the 1000 crore scam. Mohit Hojai gave 1 crores in Shillong to a DHD(J) terrorist. Mohit and RS Khan was caught and he at that time was the CEM of N.C.Hills.

RS Khan is married to one of my friends sister. No scamster like him. DHD(J) C-n-C Jewel Gorlosa was apprehended from a house in Bangalore, apparently living in disguise with one Sameer Ahmed. Sameer Ahmed was 2 years my school senior and was out of contact for almost 20 years. :rolleyes:

It's a wicked world.

Oracle

I don't think so, there are 1000s of central acts and laws in India, and it is not possible to enact/amend all the necessary laws in a single period of simple majority rule. It needs to be given a chance for at least 15-20 years while we have given chance to Cong for 50 + years.

It is unfair to say so and compare BJP with Congress which has enjoyed 50+ years of central rule out of 65 years of independence, and most of the time nearly with absolute majority, while BJP has formed govt. only for once except that 13 days govt.

Lol! I raised the issue of Congress in my post #460 then you brought the BJPin your post # 463 BJP needs a good majority to have a good governance, let us give BJP a chance to rule us for more than only 20 years and see what happens, if they do not make strict laws then vote someone else.

Obviously ! Congress didn't do any Ehsaan by demarcating border lines, the point is Congress has grossly failed to secure our borders from infiltrators even after getting a chance to rule us for more than 50 years still BD Muslims are infiltrating here and it's a shame.
Your assessment is not entirely incorrect. This is all I can say.

natarajan

Media started raising voice showing like gujarat one ,so i think bodo started retaliating but one difference is they are not blaming assam CM like gujarat

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Media started raising voice showing like gujarat one ,so i think bodo started retaliating but one difference is they are not blaming assam CM like gujarat
One has to see tribal ethos to realise the patience and forbearance they have.

They blame no one.

But the anger seethes.

I have seen Bodos and Rajbonshis and they take a lot of crap (forgive my language)!

But all that will change.

The Lutheran Church is in action to make them realise their worth!

And then watch the fun!

Last edited:

amitkriit

Digvijaya Singh is right: Assam is no Gujarat. It’s worse | Firstpost

This is the same Digvijaya Singh who had earlier taken the high moral ground to claim that the mere fact that Gujarat riots had not been put down immediately pointed to state complicity in the riots. If a Chief Minister, with all the powers of the State government under his command, could not quell a riot situation in 24 hours, he ought not to stay in power, he had suggested.
There can never be any "justification" for violence, of course, but the riots of 2002 were an extreme response to the provocation of the Godhra train massacre. And unlike in the case of Assam, where the tension was building up for days without the government even waking up to it, in Gujarat the time-lapse between the Godhra provocation and the riots was very brief, which effectively flat-footed the administration.
Even the Congress' coalition partner in Assam, Hagrama Mohilary, noted earlier this week that illegal immigrants (from Bangladesh) were involved in the riots, but on Thursday Gogoi dismissed these charges as untrue. "The violence was orchestrated by our own people, and not by Bangladesh nationals," he said.
In that sense, Digvijaya Singh is right. Assam is no Gujarat, but not for the reasons that he's cited. Assam is far worse than Gujarat: perhaps not in terms of the cynical arithmetic of the death toll from one episode of riots, but in the manner in which the Congress has milked 'minority politics' in Assam for years and years and deliberately downplayed the security risks from the unchecked illegal immigration from Bangladesh.

There's a far greater risk that it will be Assam, not Gujarat, that will see many more communal riots and ethnic tensions because of this blatant minority politicking. On that count, at least, Assam is far worse than Gujarat.

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
Some day back a member said the same here in this forum, he said that the Deganga riots were "not big riots" because the number of deaths in Gujarat riots were greater than it, and scale of riots are judged by the death toll.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles