The Physical Fitness Thread

What do you prefer?

• Good body shape only, strength doesn't matter to me.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I hate excercise.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zebra

Country flag
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...of-heart-attack-away/articleshow/51791368.cms

An aspirin every day keeps risk of heart attack away

Many adults who have never had a heart attack or stroke should take aspirin every day to keep it that way, new U.S. guidelines say.
Reuters | Apr 12, 2016, 12.51 PM IST

Many adults who have never had a heart attack or stroke should take aspirin every day to keep it that way, new U.S. guidelines say.

People in their 50s with risk factors for cardiovascular disease - including high blood pressure, high cholesterol or a history of smoking - may benefit from starting a daily aspirin regimen and staying on it for at least a decade, according to the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF), a government-backed panel of independent physicians.

A daily low-dose aspirin may also help protect against colorectal cancer in people who are taking it to prevent heart attacks and strokes.

Because aspirin can cause bleeding in the stomach and brain, this advice doesn't apply to people with bleeding disorders.

"As with any drug, patients and their doctors must balance the benefits and risks of aspirin," said USPSTF chair Dr. Kirsten Bibbins-Domingo of the University of California, San Francisco.

Adults aged 50 to 59 who have at least a 10 percent risk of having a heart attack or stroke in the next decade can benefit the most from taking 81 milligrams of aspirin a day, according to the new guidelines.

The American College of Cardiology provides an online risk calculator here: bit.ly/1UEFYtE.

The advice doesn't apply to people in their 60s because the bleeding risk increases with age, however, and the jury is still out on whether this approach makes sense for people under 50 or over 70, the Task Force concluded.

"Some people may benefit from aspirin more than others, which is why there are several recommendations based on age," Bibbins-Domino added by email. The Task Force encourages people to talk with their doctor about whether taking aspirin is appropriate, she said.

Nearly 40 percent of U.S. adults over 50 already take aspirin to prevent a first heart attack or avoid a second one, according a research review published with the new guidelines in Annals of Internal Medicine.

But the Task Force is at odds with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, which has denied efforts by Bayer HealthCare LLC to market aspirin for preventing heart attacks and strokes in people with no history of cardiovascular disease.

"All that aspirin does if your heart attack risk is really low is cause you harm," said Dr. Steven Nissen, who served on an FDA advisory panel that recommended against widespread use of aspirin for primary prevention and chairs the department of cardiovascular medicine at the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio.

At least one in 10 people taking aspirin don't need it, recent research suggests.

Patients can buy aspirin without a prescription, and doctors are also free to put people on medicines for purposes that aren't approved by the FDA.......

Zebra

Country flag
^^

Any idea which pharmacy makes the tablets with 81 mg of Aspirin.....?

I know few of them , but they use 100 mg or 300 mg of Aspirin.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
How many pull-ups can you do in 30 minutes?

I'm aiming at 120. Currently I can do 49 in about 7 sets. First set is 13.

Note:
A proper pull starts at down position with arms (almost) straight supporting entire body weight, which means legs 1. should not touch ground, 2. legs should not be brought/raised forward (because then you are relying more on abdominal muscles).
Best cross your legs behind.
Above is start position.
Then move up so that your chin crosses the bar (some people therefore name this as chin up). Stay at top position for one second, then come back down to start position.

1. Pace yourself using 2-1-2-1, i.e. From start position, 2 seconds to go up, 1 second stay on top postion (chin up), 2 seconds to come down, 1 second stay down.
Why do we do this? To prevent using momentum to ease the exercise.

2. Some people kick the air using legs to create momentum (kipping.) Do not do this.

3. You can keep the arms on the bar at appr. shoulder width apart.

Pull ups are awesome for lats (aka wings) and the back in general. Also biceps.

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
@Razor,

Wide grip pull-ups tend to help lats more than narrow grip pull-ups.

You are doing a good job with 49 in 30 minutes.

If you need advice, I recommend YouTube channel of Scooby1961.
Thanks. :D
I'm aiming at 120; then move on to one-hand pullups.

True about the wide grip pullups emphasizing lats. But some people have shoulder problems with wide grip pull ups. So to be on safe side I thought it would be best to start with the most comfortable grip (shoulder width.)
Best option is those rings, they can adjust the width as you move along.

Thanks for the channel.

"Convict Conditioning" This book is the bible. Check it out. Available free online. Try google :)

OneGrimPilgrim

Country flag
@Razor - my 2 paisa -- would wholeheartedly recommend this channel --> FitnessFAQs (chk his vids on pull-ups as well; its a delight to watch him perform all sorts of pull-ups with so ease without puffing-grunting anything and such calm demeanour, like nobody's business!).
In books, you may also check those from pavel tsatsouline. conceptually and practically quite rad.

Last edited:

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
@Razor - my 2 paisa -- would wholeheartedly recommend this channel --> FitnessFAQs (chk his vids on pull-ups as well; its a delight to watch him perform all sorts of pull-ups with so ease without puffing-grunting anything and such calm demeanour, like nobody's business!).
In books, you may also check those from pavel tsatsouline. conceptually and practically quite rad.
Thanks man. These videos and shows are informational plus they give you that push to go to the park everyday and give it your all.

raja696

I m from the South!

I took Boxing because it has the best cardio, useful in weight loss and street!

I am looking for home-training. Can't be a member of a gym for my whole life!
Can you post some boxing links for begginers home training . If you have some video links some thing like that pls....

OneGrimPilgrim

Country flag
Hi friends can anyone email some boxing for begginers. .. material to my email if you have... [email protected]
check rosstraining. he has an FB page too. other than boxing you'll also learn a variety of assistance-training exercises and drills. there's one old video of his demoing speed punching and power punching on a heavy bag. watch that. will pump you up. ;)

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

===============================================================================

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
:wtf:

http://sputniknews.com/videoclub/20160515/1039638608/mao-weidong-plank-record.html

Mao Weidong competed against ultra-athlete and former US marine George Hood. The retired marine set a new record last year and even surpassed it during his latest attempt by 2 hours, attaining 7 hours 4 minutes and 5 seconds, but his Chinese rival managed to squeeze out 8 hours 1 minute and 1 second.

Mao Weidong praised his service as police officer for making him so incredibly fit. He also called on TV-viewers to do the plank exercise.
I took his suggestion and for first time in my life I tried the plank. I managed a pathetic measly 5min 7secs.

@pmaitra @OneGrimPilgrim @raja696 (boxers do plank for abs)
How do you guys fare?

pmaitra

:wtf:

http://sputniknews.com/videoclub/20160515/1039638608/mao-weidong-plank-record.html

I took his suggestion and for first time in my life I tried the plank. I managed a pathetic measly 5min 7secs.

@pmaitra @OneGrimPilgrim @raja696 (boxers do plank for abs)
How do you guys fare?
That's tough man. I wouldn't even attempt it.

I have a mild Achilles Heel on both legs, yet, with God's grace, I manage 3 miles in 30 minutes, without a break. I think I am doing fine, given that I have a full time decent paying job. :biggrin2:

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
That's tough man. I wouldn't even attempt it.

I have a mild Achilles Heel on both legs, yet, with God's grace, I manage 3 miles in 30 minutes, without a break. I think I am doing fine, given that I have a full time decent paying job. :biggrin2:
8 hours is like crazy. The level of fitness of this chinese cop is just wow.

Anyway, I didn't feel my legs being used much. Mostly I felt the burn on my abs and shoulder muscles and a bit on the hamstrings, I guess.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles