The Greatest Kings in Indian History

Who is the Greatest King in Indian History?

• Chandragupta Maurya

Votes: 115 33.7%
  • Ashoka

Votes: 45 13.2%
  • Raja Chola

Votes: 34 10.0%
  • Akbar

Votes: 16 4.7%
  • Sri Krishna Devaraya

Votes: 18 5.3%
  • Chatrapati Shivaji

Votes: 58 17.0%
  • Tipu Sultan

Votes: 9 2.6%
  • Ranjith Singh

Votes: 10 2.9%
  • Samudra Gupta

Votes: 11 3.2%
  • Chandragupta Vikramaditya

Votes: 20 5.9%
  • Harsha

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Kanishka

Votes: 4 1.2%

• Total voters

Galaxy

Country flag
Although, Now I am trying to be reader rather than poster in religious thread like this on this very forum. But One should not call Hinduism as worst thing happening in India or anything like that. It's highly offensive. No one said anything about any other religion. It's all about Kings and their religions (which came later on). One can say anything about Rulers/Kings/religions of the country/foreign whatever. But calling Hinduism as worst is highly offensive. Last time, I saw such things on one Pak site.

Unfortunately, Anti-Hinduism is considered as Secularism in India.

SHASH2K2

To hell with Ashoka and with akbar and Tipu . Greatest king that India ever had was Chandragupta maurya.not becauise he was hindu but because he stood up against Alexander and kicked him out. he united India when it was divided into thousands of small parts and they all were fighting each other.

pmaitra

Although, Now I am trying to be reader rather than poster in religious thread like this on this very forum. But One should not call Hinduism as worst thing happening in India or anything like that. It's highly offensive. No one said anything about any other religion. It's all about Kings and their religions (which came later on). One can say anything about Rulers/Kings/religions of the country/foreign whatever. But calling Hinduism as worst is highly offensive. Last time, I saw such things on one Pak site.

Personally, I have a lot of respect for Vedic religion. I must say though, that Hindusim, since it adopted the Caste System which replaced the Varna System, was definitely one of the worst things to happen. If you deny that, then you are offending a large chunk of Hindus as well.

If I can admire Chandragupta and Ashoka, which I do, then why not Akbar?

johnee

Yusuf,

the post quoting the Waliullah's letters shows clearly that Mughals were not considered Indians by their contemporaries either. At that time, neither Hindus(Indians) nor Muslims rulers(foreigners) nor muslim converts(indians) considered Mughals as Indians. India was known as 'Hindu'-stan, remember...

Those rulers were trying to subjugate and enslave the Indians(hindus) just like the British.

pmaitra

To hell with Ashoka and with akbar and Tipu . Greatest king that India ever had was Chandragupta maurya.not becauise he was hindu but because he stood up against Alexander and kicked him out. he united India when it was divided into thousands of small parts and they all were fighting each other.
Actually, it was Seleucus Nicator, not Alexander, but yes, I agree with the rest of what you said.

S.A.T.A

Modern nation states are the most modern examples of social mobilization that communities have indulged in over centuries and it follows that the most dominant characteristic of modern nation states is that they are organized on the basis of cultural affiliation which reflect in their shared cultural mores,their language which acted as the repository of these cultural traditions,belief system whose significant motifs are embedded in those cultural traditions.This is the only true sustainable basis for building a nation state.

The Marxist tried organizing a nation sate on the basis of a shared economic outlook,the colonialist and imperialist tried organizing one one the basis of geographies and the Muslims tried organizing one on the basis of a shared religion.

While all of the above may have achieved varying degree of success and failure, the most enduring one is the one based on common socio-cultural affinity.Which is why Indian will always be an Hindu nation,otherwise this is just a geographical expression.The Hindu must always keep in mind that our enemies will want to reduce our nationhood to the mere dots on a landscape,this must not be allowed at any cost.

pankaj nema

Country flag
@ Yusuf

No Mr Yusuf You are an idiot because you are defending Criminals like
tipu Sultan and Akbar just because they are Muslims

And Hindus are NOT going to accept these criminals as great

There fore they have been DE BARRED from Indian Parliament

The list of statues in Indian parliament says EVERYTHING

johnee

Personally, I have a lot of respect for Vedic religion. I must say though, that Hindusim, since it adopted the Caste System which replaced the Varna System, was definitely one of the worst things to happen. If you deny that, then you are offending a large chunk of Hindus as well.

If I can admire the Chandragupta and Ashoka, which I do, then why not Akbar?
Pmaitra,
why are you discussing Hindu religion? Discuss the Kings, not religion. BTW, you can admire anyone you want including Mountbatten or Churchill....

pmaitra

@ yusuf

no mr yusuf you are an idiot because you are defending criminals like tipu sultan and akbar just because they are
muslims

and hindus are not going to accept these criminals as great

there fore they have been de barred from indian parliament

the list of statues in indian parliament says everything
Quit your drivel!

pmaitra

Pmaitra,
why are you discussing Hindu religion? Discuss the Kings, not religion. BTW, you can admire anyone you want including Mountbatten or Churchill....
Yes, I should discuss the kings. I was responding to another post.

pmaitra

The Marxist tried organizing a nation sate on the basis of a shared economic outlook,
Now you are back with your fairytales about Marxists, yet again. Marxism and communism does not recognise national boundaries, hence no nation state concept, except in your imagination. Marxism cuts across national boundaries.

Galaxy

Country flag

If I can admire the Chandragupta and Ashoka, which I do, then why not Akbar?
Very few lower cast converted into Islam. Why ??

90% conversation happened from upper cast and Jatts/Gujars/Ahirs/Yadavs/ etc to Islam.

If lower caste had so much problem, why they remained in Hinduism for thousand of years ?? Why only 2% converted into Christianity in last 500 years that also due to false propaganda ?

Caste system was not good but it happened due to other reasons. There is protestants and Catholic Christians. There are Sunni, Shi'a, Suffi, Alawi, Ahmediyas and more. There are Mahayana and Theravada Buddhism. In every religion there are different sects, ideology and caste.

But assuming that upper caste King discriminated lower caste is not truth.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
No Anti Hinduism is not secularism. One cannot be anti his own religion. Terms are coined again to suit ones agenda.

These days a Muslim basher is a "Nationalist".
A Muslim is a terrorist.
The common "Hindu" who wants to get on with life and sees things more objectively is a as what the "basher" calls a "sicularist".

pankaj nema

Country flag
@ Yusuf

Just because Akbar and Tipu Sultan killed ONLY A FEW Hindus ; they are dear to you

BTW Modi and RSS have killed even FEWER Muslims than the Hindus killed by Akbar and Tipu sultan

But look at the HATRED that Modi evokes in Muslims

And you expect us to just forget everything just because it is inconvenient to muslims

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
@ Yusuf

No Mr Yusuf You are an idiot because you are defending Criminals like
tipu Sultan and Akbar just because they are Muslims

And Hindus are NOT going to accept these criminals as great

There fore they have been DE BARRED from Indian Parliament

The list of statues in Indian parliament says EVERYTHING
Now you are getting on my nerves. Show me one post where i sing praises of Tipu or Akbar that too as a muslim? Its a figment of your imagination. Thats how people like you operate. Why dont you read the very first post i made in this thread which is bang in line with the OP of the thread before it rotted into something else?

If your mind thinks only out of hatred, its not my fault. That it makes you look like an idiot, its not my fault. Start to think with a clear mind. I only posted saying you cannot say they are not Indians because you dont like them or for any evil deeds they committed. Its purely technical point of view.

Bal Thackerey may say all Indian Muslims are Pakis. But that does not change shit about Muslims in India does it?

S.A.T.A

Hindus who heap scorn on Muslims for the crimes and atrocities committed by the Mughals and Delhi sultans are as misguided as Muslims who jump to the defense of Mughals and the Delhi sultans as if they have been personally affronted and are duty bound to defend them.Although Indian history documents are benign in ho they discuss the age of European colonialism in India,but imagine if Indian Christians tomorrow to offense to any other treatment of imperialism of christian Europe,save for bringing enlightenment to native heathens.

pmaitra

Very few lower cast converted into Islam. Why ??

90% conversation happened from upper cast and Jatts/Gujars/Ahirs/Yadavs/ etc to Islam.

If lower caste had so much problem, why they remained in Hinduism for thousand of years ?? Why only 2% converted into Christianity in last 500 years that also due to false propaganda ?

I am not sure where you got your data from. Have you seen the higher concentration of non-Anglo-Indian Christians in the adivasi dominated areas? Have you wondered why so many people converted to Buddhism, Sikhism and Islam, under persuasion and not force? Do you realise the power of the Sufi saints to whom the masses, mainly lowes caste Hindus, would flock? Why? Jats and Yadavs, well, weren't they demanding reservation a few days back?

Caste system was not good but it happened due to other reasons. There is protestants and Catholic Christians. There are Sunni, Shi'a, Suffi, Alawi, Ahmediyas and more. There are Mahayana and Theravada Buddhism. In every religion there are different sects, ideology and caste.

But assuming that upper caste King discriminated lower caste is not truth.
Just to let you know, Caste is not a sect. Caste is caste. You are not comparing apples with apples.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
@ Yusuf

Just because Akbar and Tipu Sultan killed ONLY A FEW Hindus ; they are dear to you

BTW Modi and RSS have killed even FEWER Muslims than the Hindus killed by Akbar and Tipu sultan

But look at the HATRED that Modi evokes in Muslims

And you expect us to just forget everything just because it is inconvenient to muslims
Another figment of your imagination. Now you have made Tipu and Akbar dear to me as if they are my long lost ancestors. Mate you need to clear your mind and think before you come up with crap.

Global Defence

Articles