The Greatest Kings in Indian History

Who is the Greatest King in Indian History?

• Chandragupta Maurya

Votes: 115 33.7%
  • Ashoka

Votes: 45 13.2%
  • Raja Chola

Votes: 34 10.0%
  • Akbar

Votes: 16 4.7%
  • Sri Krishna Devaraya

Votes: 18 5.3%
  • Chatrapati Shivaji

Votes: 58 17.0%
  • Tipu Sultan

Votes: 9 2.6%
  • Ranjith Singh

Votes: 10 2.9%
  • Samudra Gupta

Votes: 11 3.2%
  • Chandragupta Vikramaditya

Votes: 20 5.9%
  • Harsha

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Kanishka

Votes: 4 1.2%

• Total voters

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
How is this even related to what I said ? You were comparing English with Persian, I countered that, care to debate these points ?

EDIT: you did make one relevant point

Persian was used by the aristocrats in the court. A commoner would have to spend shit loads of resources. Similar would be the case for Sanskrit

English today can simply be used by a call center employee. No need to be uber rich/influential
The original argument was that since persian was the language of the court so mughals were not Indian. Thats why i said even today english mainly is used in parliamentary proceedings and is used as the language of choice between correspondence among various states. So following that logic we aren't Indian because all official work is done in english.

English can be learned by call center employee because today's time is different than at that time. Even avg person enjoys air condition in summers in delhi but back then even the emperor with all his wealth would have to slug it out or go for a vacation to kashmir. Different times....

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
In Rig Veda, the shloka goes exactly like this:

"O Soma, give us strength, so that, after drinking you, we do not fall asleep." :D
People use Red Bull these days. I have heard kids use it to stay awake to study through the night.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
People use Red Bull these days. I have heard kids use it to stay awake to study through the night.
Red Bull is disgusting, and the amount of caffeine in it is enough to kill a small mouse.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Kids these days drink it before exam.

New cheating methods are being developed as we speak...i had to improvise to clear exams :sing:

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
In Rig Veda, the shloka goes exactly like this:

"O Soma, give us strength, so that, after drinking you, we do not fall asleep." :D
People still drink it in central asia. The plant itself isn't native to India.

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
The original argument was that since persian was the language of the court so mughals were not Indian. Thats why i said even today english mainly is used in parliamentary proceedings and is used as the language of choice between correspondence among various states. So following that logic we aren't Indian because all official work is done in english.
Then I pointed that the aforementioned logic is wrong precisely because of these reasons

1. Language of the ruling class is not (necessarily) English
2. English ain't restricted to the elite class, anyone can learn it
3. It does not have the position of a classical and cultural language
English is used as a language of convenience and not as the classical language of the ruling class. Does Mamta Banerjee, Modi, Jayalalitha etc think of English as a classical language ? Do they think in English and see themselves as a different cultural entity? Nope

English can be learned by call center employee because today's time is different than at that time. Even avg person enjoys air condition in summers in delhi but back then even the emperor with all his wealth would have to slug it out or go for a vacation to kashmir
Wrong analogy, you are comparing technology and I'm talking about accessibility. English simply isn't a classical language, but a language of convenience (see post above).

Adux

Country flag
English before the advent of CBSE and rise of the middle class, was very much a elite ruling class language. English in a few decades time will attain the classical language status in India, the ever growing number Indian english author's is a good indicator of that.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Then I pointed that the aforementioned logic is wrong precisely because of these reasons

English is used as a language of convenience and not as the classical language of the ruling class. Does Mamta Banerjee, Modi, Jayalalitha etc think of English as a classical language ? Do they think in English and see themselves as a different cultural entity? Nope

Wrong analogy, you are comparing technology and I'm talking about accessibility. English simply isn't a classical language, but a language of convenience (see post above).
English is used as an elitist language. If you cannot speak english then you're illiterate no matter how knowledgeable you really are.

Analogy is right since it is because of technology that english is easily available and cheap to learn. People are exposed to english more on a daily basis because of technical devices like tv, radio, internet, mass printing etc. while persian didn't have the same luxuries and was mainly contained within the elite and only people with resources/money could learn it by hiring a teacher.

I agree that english is also a language of convenience.

agentperry

English before the advent of CBSE and rise of the middle class, was very much a elite ruling class language. English in a few decades time will attain the classical language status in India, the ever growing number Indian english author's is a good indicator of that.
wrong after the formalization of company's rule and when they started setting up school in India- hindu group demanded english medium schools and muslims demanded urdu/arabic medium schools. but yes english speaking and it being part and parcel of Indian society is from independence time and not 1990s or even 80s

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
English is used as an elitist language. If you cannot speak english then you're illiterate no matter how knowledgeable you really are.

Analogy is right since it is because of technology that english is easily available and cheap to learn. People are exposed to english more on a daily basis because of technical devices like tv, radio, internet, mass printing etc. while persian didn't have the same luxuries and was mainly contained within the elite and only people with resources/money could learn it by hiring a teacher.

I agree that english is also a language of convenience.
Actually, analogies will be wrong (or rather difficult) because we've started to compare post-colonial Republic of India with ancient India where there were Kingdoms and Kings.

Let's keep it to Persian-Udru and Sanskriti-Prakrit (or maybe try to go ontopic :laugh:)

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Actually, analogies will be wrong (or rather difficult) because we've started to compare post-colonial Republic of India with ancient India where there were Kingdoms and Kings.

Let's keep it to Persian-Udru and Sanskriti-Prakrit (or maybe try to go ontopic :laugh:)
Thats why i said "different times...." comparing era's never work out.

I bet we wont understand half of whats being said If someone comes and starts speaking in pure hindi. Rural people would still understand but im not too sure about urban class.

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
Thats why i said "different times...." comparing era's never work out.

I bet we wont understand half of whats being said If someone comes and starts speaking in pure hindi. Rural people would still understand but im not too sure about urban class.
Well, I didn't start the Persian-English comparison ;)

Anyways, I'll paste the first on-topic post I made in this thread

Chandragupta Maurya and Ranjit Singh. The only two guys to have controlled the Khyber Pass

Adux

Country flag
wrong after the formalization of company's rule and when they started setting up school in India- hindu group demanded english medium schools and muslims demanded urdu/arabic medium schools. but yes english speaking and it being part and parcel of Indian society is from independence time and not 1990s or even 80s
What are you trying to say? Do you mean Company as in East India Company, if yes, they didnt care what Indians wanted nor was there a monolithic Hindu or Muslim group who had a say with the British. English till the early 70's were the Language of the Sahibs

agentperry

What are you trying to say?
english as per many enlightened ppl is a recent phenomenon- means its popularity. many of the indian community strived for learning english when brits forayed into sub continent.

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Chandragupta Maurya and Ranjit Singh. The only two guys to have controlled the Khyber Pass
Many others have done the same. Asoka/Bindusara, Kanishka, Akbar, etc.

Anyway, here is a copy of my original on-topic post.

The Top 5 Greatest Kings in Indian history, in my opinion:

5. Kanishka I (r. 127-151 C.E.) - for creating perhaps the most diverse and internationalist state in Indian history. Kanishka himself was a Buddhist of Central Asian origin, but within the borders of his empire virtually every philosophy and religion of the known world flourished, including Hinduism, Zoroastrianism, and Hellenism. His empire stretched from North India to Persia and Central Asia, being one of the only Indian kings to rule such a territory; as a consequence the Kushanas directly controlled the lucrative Silk Road trade between East and West and reaped immense profits. The arts flourished and wealth was in abundance.

4. Samudragupta (r. 335-375 C.E.) - for restoring the imperial splendor of Magadha and ushering in India's Golden Age. Considered "India's Napoleon", he crushed the Sakas and Kushanas, long the dominant powers in South Asia, and extended Gupta role over much of the subcontinent. He also patronised the arts and sciences, paving the way for India's greatest thinkers and scholars; the highly prestigious centres of learning at Nalanda, Varanasi, Takshasila, and others drew migrants and pilgrims from all over the world. It also during this time that extensive cultural and commercial links began to be established with Southeast Asia, eventually leading to the rise of Indianised kingdoms in that region.

3.Shahanshah Jalaluddin Muhammad Akbar (r. 1542-1605) - for pioneering modern liberal secularism and universal tolerance in an age that badly needed it. The Ibadat Khana, or house of worship, hosted a wide diversity of philosophers and scholars from all religions, where they debated various matters regarding life and universe before the emperor. The abolition of the jizya and other discriminatory taxes and a policy of equality towards all regardless of belief allowed the empire to prosper. India's cultural achievements, especially in architecture, reached their zenith. The empire was also incredibly wealthy; it was said that Akbar's annual revenue in 1600 exceeded in value Britain's entire treasury in 1800.

2. Chandragupta Maurya (r. 320-298 B.C.E.) - for uniting Bharatvarsha into a single entity for the first time, and becoming an inspiration for countless Indians of the past, present, and future. With the assistance of Chanakya, perhaps the greatest statesman to be born in this part of the world, he first overthrew the corrupt Nanda dynasty of Pataliputra, reinstated a new dynasty in his name, and went on to unite the various peoples of India. His career culminated with the conquest of Afghanistan and defeat of Seleucus Nicator, one of Alexander's own generals.

1. Samraat Asoka Maurya the Great (r. 274-232 B.C.E.)

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
I have yet to see someone answer adux's question regarding treatment of lower cast by hindu kings.

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
Funniest shyt in this thread :pound:

How did the Khymer Empire become Hindu in the first place ? Chola conquest anyone ?
No, it's because of the open trade between Indians and SE Asians. Not because of any conquest. South East Asia was Buddhist and Hindus long before Chola invasion.

Akbar and Tipu Sulatan was Anti-Hindu. Both did what was best possible. Akbar turned Secular later because he became weak (due to rise of Rajput/Maratha Kingdom)

Wrong, Marathas weren't even active at that time. Akbar crushed the Rajputs, some even fought for him.

Those Scythian (Sakas) entered India between 2500-1500 years ago. Those were nomadic people (not following any religion) and they entered in China, Korea, Iran and Today's India/Pak/A'than. Their motto was to rule the country and they didn't destroyed any culture, Tradition and religion.
You are confusing the Sakas with other nomadic people.

Pashtuns/Hazares are more close to those Mongols.

Pashtuns and Hazares are two completely different people.

Akbar's ancestry can be traced so far back that he will be both Indian as well as Russian.

Not Russian, because Russians at that time were in Eastern Europe. Russia is a HUGE country with some parts that have history that really doesn't belong to Russia or the Russians.

Those Sakas/Hunas didn't settled in India. They settled in Pakistan/A'than/Iran - It's been proved by historians. I will try to find some link which says the same. They came in NW, but they failed and didn't settled in Today's India as Hinduism was very strong at that time including Punjab. Sikh came from Hinduism that also very late. Sikhs Jatt clan came from Hindu Jats clan. There were many nomadic people in Pahstuns/Iran area. So, They settled there and followed Zoroastrian/Islam later. Like Shi'a Hazare following Islam. In India, they didn't settled whereas Uzbek settled India and Killed/converted 10's Millions of Indians and imposed their religion/culture forcefully.

Sakas/Huns have settled in India.

Mughals came for destruction of Bharat and expansion of Islam forcefully

No, they came to India for the wealth and power.

Mughals are as Islamic as the Pope in the Medieval era was a true Christian.

Last edited:

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Can anyone identify the flag in my avatar?

It's not entirely OT, I promise.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles