Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
CHENNAI: The Tamil Nadu Bishop Council on Thursday flayed the Centre for targeting the Christian community for the protests against the Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project and requested Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to stop the "harassment". The bishops are pained by the witch hunt, said Archbishop A M Chinnappa.

Speaking to reporters here, the council authorities, including Chinnappa and Tuticorin Archbishop Yvon Ambroise, said no one could stop them from giving moral support to the villagers in their protest against the power project. "Pro-nature is our stand internationally. We request the Prime Minister to stop harassing the Christian community and withdraw the negative injunctions issued against the Tuticorin diocese and grant appropriate relief," they said.

The council also requested TN chief minister J Jayalalithaa to intervene and bring solace to the Christian community as a mother would for her children.

The ministry of home affairs had ordered freezing of bank accounts of the Tuticorin Diocesan Association on February 9 for violation of the Foreign Contribution (Regulation) Act, after a team raided its premises between January 11 and 13.

"We condemn the Centre for its efforts to brand us anti-national. We strongly condemn these accusations and deny the allegations," said Bishop Chinnappa.

Archbishop Yvon Ambroise said, "Union government officials asked me to answer 32 questions. After they received our reply, they came to our place in January and searched for documents. But they did not get any evidence on misuse of funds. But the home ministry ordered freezing of our Bank of Baroda account in February. Just because I sympathize with my people, you cannot say I am inciting them."

The council also alleged that the expert panels constituted by the Centre and the state had avoided meeting villagers in the Kudankulam region.

The anti-nuclear protests were not aimed at the Kudankulam project alone; it was an international issue. "Progress at the cost of human life is not advisable," he said. "Both the Centre and state are giving a wrong impression that we can stop the agitation. But the villagers will go ahead with their protests even without us," said Ambroise.

In their statement, the bishops said, "Is it not a clear :taunt1:vendetta and pressure tactic, a victimization that we never dreamt of from UPA government? We feel the UPA government is out to persecute a community that has a proven record of service and we are sorry to say that it threatens our very existence as a minority community."

Delhi archbishop Vincent M Concessao has also written to the PM in support of the TN bishops.
Stop harassing community, state's bishops tell PM - Times Of India

I was just wondering when they were gonna turn it into what i predicted earlier and now we are seeing it action... So Some one give me the omniscience award:p:p:taunt1::taunt1:

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
Oh please. That Panni kept quiet all along until the plant was declared safe by both state and central teams. Then as soon as the NGOs are banned b the Center he opens his mouth in favor of the plant. So what was he doing all along? Thats because, as i said, the plant had MIXED support only and they knew any straight support would have been seen as a move against the villagers there(and there is always that community card-hey we are in India).

All i can say is that he is a Snake fishing in troubled water. He knows all to well how complicated this issue is. This same snake would have condemned JJ and would have turned it into a communal issue if she had acted in her classical way:shp::shp:

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Its not exactly fear mongering. Its partly true. The Western faggarts are using the NGOs and missionaries to achieve their goals:p:p. This is because it is a Russian plant;)
But taking France's name is little odd, isn't it. But I agree with you, the article is right on some accounts

NO my point is Center govt is more responsible here:p
I don't know how you missed the point completely (this is not generally the case :)), I was trying to merely point out towards JJ waiting for the Thermal power plants to come up so that this KNPP issue can liner around, and power issue can be sorted out to some extent. Unfortunately, you are diverting it towards center vs state again. The state government is also responsible for the mess the KNPP is in today.

utubekhiladi

The Preacher
Country flag
i totally agree with that article.. Bingo!!! right on point. it is a whistle blower.. learned learned of new things.

the article also says

"India's Prime Minister Manmohan Singh can be accused of many things – that he speaks too little and when he does say something it's boringly banal. "

i totally agree with that point :)

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
But taking France's name is little odd, isn't it. But I agree with you, the article is right on some accounts

I don't know how you missed the point completely (this is not generally the case :)), I was trying to merely point out towards JJ waiting for the Thermal power plants to come up so that this KNPP issue can liner around, and power issue can be sorted out to some extent. Unfortunately, you are diverting it towards center vs state again. The state government is also responsible for the mess the KNPP is in today.
I agree on the responsibility of the state, but what i(we) am(are) trying to say is that she is still the lesser of the two evils:). If MK was there, we would have been forced to forget the issue for another two more years;):heh:

parijataka

Country flag
Babasaheb Ambedkar had rightly warned that Indians converting to foreign religions would develop anti-national feelings ultimately. Farsighted man.

Vishwarupa

Country flag
Economic Survey: Nuclear power capacity failed to rise

CHENNAI: Even though the generation of nuclear power increased by 33 percent this fiscal, no capacity was added against a target of 2,000 MW, the Economic Survey said on Thursday.

According to the survey tabled in the parliament by Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee, the Eleventh Five Year Plan (2007-12) initially envisaged a capacity addition of 78,700 MW, of which 75.8 percent was thermal, 19.9 percent was hydro, and 4.3 percent was nuclear.

"At the time of the mid-term appraisal of the Eleventh Plan, the target was revised to 62,374 MW with thermal, hydro, and nuclear segments contributing 50,757 MW, 8,237 MW and 3,380 MW respectively," the survey noted.

"Capacity addition of 46,669.7 MW has so far been achieved until Jan 15, 2012. Projects with a capacity of 7,645 MW are under construction for commissioning during the remaining period. Capacity addition during the Eleventh Plan is, therefore, expected to be about 50,000-52,000 MW.

The anti-Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project (KNPP) agitation has spooked the addition of 2,000 MW new atomic power capacity addition this year.

Atomic power plant operator Nuclear Power Corporation of India Ltd (NPCIL) is building two 1,000 MW reactors with Russian technology at Kudankulam in Tirunelveli district, around 650 km from here.

Villagers who have safety concerns have been protesting against the plant. They are also concerned about the long-term impact of the nuclear plant on the population.

Their agitation, spearheaded by People's Movement Against Nuclear Energy, has put a stop to the project work, delaying the commissioning of the first unit by several months.

In September, the Tamil Nadu cabinet passed a resolution asking the central government to stop all project related work till the fears of the locals about the plant were allayed. Speaking to IANS, a senior NPCIL official preferring anonymity said: "The 2,000 MW capacity addition target is only from the Kudankulam project as other projects of NPCIL are under construction."

On the status of KNPP he said: "Only maintenance activity of the first reactor is being done with skeletal staff. Several truck loads of components have been unloaded at the employee township as the vehicles were not allowed to go inside the project complex."

Economic Survey: Nuclear power capacity failed to rise - The Economic Times

plugwater

I agree on the responsibility of the state, but what i(we) am(are) trying to say is that she is still the lesser of the two evils:). If MK was there, we would have been forced to forget the issue for another two more years;):heh:
DMK is much more pro development than ADMK!! What do you mean by lesser evil ? Corruption ? I don't give a rat's ass about corruption if she does not bring investments to our state.

This power deficit is mostly cos of ADMK, remember in her last term she stopped all infra developments and lot of other things in the name of NO FUNDS. Funny thing is she came to power saying DMK is the reason for this power shutdowns!!

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
That's just your thinking mate, but we already have seen the incompetence in handling by JJ enough, and still there is no end in sight :D

lemontree

Professional
Babasaheb Ambedkar had rightly warned that Indians converting to foreign religions would develop anti-national feelings ultimately. Farsighted man.
Stupid comment. FYI, Ambedkar had planned to convert to Christianity, but was disuaded by Mahatma Gandhi.

Secondly, Shiv Sena is blocking the construction of a nuclear reactor in Jaitapur, Maharashtra - so by your logic Shiv Sena must be turning into an anti-national party? But they are a hindutva party,... so now we have anti-national hindus too.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
That's just your thinking mate, but we already have seen the incompetence in handling by JJ enough, and still there is no end in sight :D
ok just ask yourself or any DMK fans here, why did that snake keep his mouth shut on this so far:p. Also ask them why did he not oppose the protesters till now. And also ask them why the opposing party is in support of the agitators:p:p(Opposition leader is Vijaykanth:heh: not MK). There is a reason DMK did not even make it to opposition party level:namaste:

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
ok just ask yourself or any DMK fans here, why did that snake keep his mouth shut on this so far:p. Also ask them why did he not oppose the protesters till now. And also ask them why the opposing party is in support of the agitators:p:p(Opposition leader is Vijaykanth:heh: not MK). There is a reason DMK did not even make it to opposition party level:namaste:
In your zeal of JJ worship now you are blaming opposition parties now? JJ as a chief minister does not carry any responsibility or what?

Latest Replies

New threads

Articles