INSAS Rifle, LMG & Carbine

Kchontha

Country flag
There are lots of videos' of galil ace in 7.62×51 live firing available in youtube. Compare to ofb's new battle rifle, galil has more recoil. Imho ofb 7.62 nato will be in the hands of Indian soldiers sooner than later. And there will be cardiac arrest for those who spread disinformation. Jai hind.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Honestly, I was surprised by the new gun for two things ..

1. The recoil is much like AK from HIP, Anyone here shoot an AK can tell you @pmaitra
2. The size is quite compact, Lot shorter than SLR ..

Someone here mention about muzzle break, I think its a good solution to further reduce the recoil ..

Pandora

Country flag
Here look at the recoil. Remind of elephant gun kick.

This is legendary AK being fired with the same stance, in so-called bump fire mode.

Even 5.56 has recoil that making me say WTF.

With all due respect to the officer, I wonder where is that "Recoil kaafi hai" that is not there with these ultra popular rifles?

It is possible because Arms agents have made full payments in advance and so the news articles as well as public statements were prepared well before trials happened.
Well most of the videos u shared are bump firing mode and even you fire air soft gun from that mode,recoil is natural.
Look at Lt gnrl Doshi firing mode its more of a nearby chest .

Rahul Singh

Country flag
Well most of the videos u shared are bump firing mode and even you fire air soft gun from that mode,recoil is natural.
Look at Lt gnrl Doshi firing mode its more of a nearby chest .
Still no support from shoulder. That was the point.

rishivashista13

Country flag
So it looks like most of the people here are satisfied with OFB 7.62 gun ......

Sent from my Redmi 4A using Tapatalk

SanjeevM

Country flag
So it looks like most of the people here are satisfied with OFB 7.62 gun ......

It's the army that has to decide. They need to decide fast. If it's from OFB, put it into production fast. Chinese will be scared to see victims of 7.62 shots with brain missing from head after a head shot.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
GSQR is not even prepared, Go though last few pages and sources posted by other members ..

This means, by the time the GSQR get ready the Infantry have to work with present design for another 10 years, I was really happy that MK1C was about to get into service, But ..

I really hope the idea 7.62nato go away ..

It's the army that has to decide. They need to decide fast. If it's from OFB, put it into production fast. Chinese will be scared to see victims of 7.62 shots with brain missing from head after a head shot.
Improvements, enhancements are an ongoing process. Just put them in production. A stitch in time saves 9.

Most of people prefer indigenous.

Vijyes

I am actually concerned about 5.56 ammo. Gun is understandable but ammo (if so) is a concern. 5.56 ammo is not popular with Pakis with G3 as standard AR. So who is supplying if not pakis.

Anyway, i am certainly gonna read past pages for more info. Thanks for the reply.
Nato ammunition is quite common and can be made by pakistan. All kind of bullets can be made by Pakistan as it is no special technology but merely size difference.

Vijyes

Kay, there are ways to do that. Spares stocks, contracts allowing local partners to take over progressively. All of that can be done. You are not wrong. But I bet if no imports were available, the OFB rifle would have been accepted.
What defines incompetency? Is making a gun from simple technology which was present since 1960s a big difficulty? Even retards at the roadside can make guns. Is there anything that is infallible? Guns like Galil doesn't work in cold. M16 breaks into pieces before soldiers can yell jesus due to use of fibreglass usage. There is nothing called perfect gun. Round edges, smoothening etc are bullshit and are not for prototypes. It is for final models. Even the magazine is just an accessory and can be changed as and when required.

7.62x51 is obviously much bigger round. It is used in Mosin nagant or other Sniper rifles (.308). The range will be similar to 5.56 due to higher charge present, compensating higher weight of the round. This kind of round will definitely give a kick and will be heavier. That is why people don't use this round in assault rifles in NATO or Soviets countries. This round is mostly confined to snipers for a reason. Tomorrow army may ask to convert dhanush howitzer to an assault rifle and say recoil is heavy!!

Recoil is an acceptable problem with higher powered round and is unavoidable. Army should quickly make up its mind if it wants 7.62x51, 7.62x39 or 5.56x45. 7.62x51 and 5.56x45 have similar range but the former one is more than 2 times heavy and hence has significantly higher recoil. 7.62x39 on the other hand has lower range due to heavy weight, has a slightly higher recoil due to heavier weight of round but not too heavy due to lower amount of charge than 51mm one.

PS: Recoil is dependent on momentum , not kinetic energy.

India should conduct tests in Rajasthan, Siachen and in some coastal humid area to test the gun within a month and give orders immediately. Acting like retarded kids is unacceptable

rishivashista13

Country flag
Replacing primary assault rifle and changing caliber is a big and irreversible decision. I think our forces are still not 100 percent sure, what they really need.

Chinmoy

Country flag
India should conduct tests in Rajasthan, Siachen and in some coastal humid area to test the gun within a month and give orders immediately. Acting like retarded kids is unacceptable
That can't be done. Each and every prototype would have to go through these trials. It means prototype 1 would have to go through both hot weather and cold weather trial.

Vijyes

That can't be done. Each and every prototype would have to go through these trials. It means prototype 1 would have to go through both hot weather and cold weather trial.
Of course, send the same rifle from Rajasthan to siachen by flight along with supplies and then get it tested there. There is no reason to wait for Summer, Winter and other seasons is what I am trying to emphasise.

Also, I am not sure if the 7.62x39 bullet can be made more lethal and accurate to replace 5.56 NATO round by replacing the lead core by mild steel core. Steel is stronger than lead but 67% as dense. We will lose about a third of the weight of the round, making the 120 grain round into 80grain one but with the extra charge and longer size than 5.56 NATO (63 grains). It should have speed similar to 5.56 NATO resulting in high accuracy but with added lethality due to the penetrating power of steel. Even the casing of brass can be replaced by steel casing to make the cartridge lighter (only problem is that steel cartridge can't be reused and gets rusted if stored for long.

If 7.62x39mm round can be made from mild steel core, and has no other side effects, the problem of finding replacement should be solved

PS:
Density of:
Lead - 11.6g/cm3
Brass - 8.7g/cm3
Mild steel - 7.8g/cm3

Chinmoy

Country flag
Of course, send the same rifle from Rajasthan to siachen by flight along with supplies and then get it tested there. There is no reason to wait for Summer, Winter and other seasons is what I am trying to emphasise.
You have to wait for the season. Temperature of Siachen is not same year around. You can't expect the same temperature in June as well as December neither in Siachen nor in Jaisalmer.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

These reports came out from Janes a highly reputed defense site, These two reports came from different years from 2014 & 2015.

2011 tender continued till 2015 and went though various seasons, A single competitor brings 50 rifles for a single season, further these participant get multiple opportunity to prove their weapon efficiency in a single season, the needed recommendation are given just like Army gave to OFB ..

Keep in mind that whoever wins will supply the firearms and it will take no less than 6-7 years to arm the entire Army which is around +2 million ..

Right now, GSQR is not even prepared and when it will do, It will take 5 years for trails, 7 years or more for distribution, It will take a decade ..

Old Interview with Gen VK Singh Sir, Listen him carefully what he has to say about the trails ..

Someone trying to stop the Army modernization by changing simple specs and making a road block, It would be wise that in meantime MK1C get mass produce until MICWS or something else replace it, The original plan was always that Exacaluber variant act as a mid term solution until MICWS gets in mass production, Which was a logical ..

All those people who are right now flying over clouds should understand that Army is stuck for another decade, 1B1 improved will be the best Indian Infantry will get, MK1C is a immediate requirement which is ready and was meant to act as a mid term solution ..

You have to wait for the season. Temperature of Siachen is not same year around. You can't expect the same temperature in June as well as December neither in Siachen nor in Jaisalmer.

Brij Ray

Country flag
Hi guys, please watch these videos of Sig Sauer 7.62x51mm gun.

Sig Sauer 716 - 7.62x51mm at 240 Yards

Sig Sauer 716 - 7.62x51 Love

I feel that recoil of OFB assault rifle was much lower than these Sigs. What do you have to say, guys?

deejai

Hi guys, please watch these videos of Sig Sauer 7.62x51mm gun.

Sig Sauer 716 - 7.62x51mm at 240 Yards

Sig Sauer 716 - 7.62x51 Love

I feel that recoil of OFB assault rifle was much lower than these Sigs. What do you have to say, guys?
How can you possibly feel recoil by simply watching videos and not shooting the gun yourself?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles