Indian Venusian Exploration Program

Akask kumar

Waste of time, effort, and money.

It would have been better to concentrate resources for exploring the Moon instead. After all, the ultimate aim should be to establish bases on the Moon for furthering space exploration to the planets which would be far more cost effective than launching probes from Earth.
technology developed for one mission helps in the other space missions.. science and engg break through that ISRO would achieve in Venus mission will definitely help in moon or other missions [who knows it may prove helpful back on earth]..The mission will raise ISRO reputation and will pave path for future deep/challenging missions..U GROW STEP BY STEP NOT ALL OF SUDDEN

Though Moon should be the top priority ..

Last edited:

Chinmoy

Country flag
technology developed for one mission helps in the other space missions.. science and engg break through that ISRO would achieve in Venus mission will definitely help in moon or other missions [who knows it may prove helpful back on earth]..The mission will raise ISRO reputation and will pave path for future deep/challenging missions..U GROW STEP BY STEP NOT ALL OF SUDDEN

Though Moon should be the top priority ..
Although every space agency are trying moon to carry out mining over there. But it is a fact that study of other planetary atmosphere could just open up a Pandora box of knowledge regarding atmospheric and surface relation on only of that particular planet, but here of earth too. So anything done for research purpose is not a waste of resource.

Akask kumar

Although every space agency are trying moon to carry out mining over there. But it is a fact that study of other planetary atmosphere could just open up a Pandora box of knowledge regarding atmospheric and surface relation on only of that particular planet, but here of earth too. So anything done for research purpose is not a waste of resource.
at a certain height(50km) above the surface of venus,temperature and pressure is equivalent to earth's.. there are concept of floating cities. isnt this exciting enough..

Chinmoy

Country flag
at a certain height(50km) above the surface of venus,temperature and pressure is equivalent to earth's.. there are concept of floating cities. isnt this exciting enough..
For me the study of Venus atmosphere, where even the gases like Hydrogen, Nitrogen and Sulphur do undergo tremendous molecular structural changes due to the high temperature, is exciting enough. :)

I am not even taking into account what the surface of Venus would be like in matter of molecular structure of minerals. :)

Akask kumar

from wiki
The Indian Venusian orbiter mission is a proposed orbiter to Venus by the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) to study the atmosphere of Venus.[2][3][4] If funded, it would be launched between 2017 and 2020.[2]

Jacques Blamont, an astrophysicist, has offered to provide the Indian Space Research Organisation with gigantic balloons carrying several instruments designed to deploy in and out of the extremely hot atmosphere of the planet after being unfettered from the orbiter.[5]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Venusian_orbiter_mission

Akask kumar

For me the study of Venus atmosphere, where even the gases like Hydrogen, Nitrogen and Sulphur do undergo tremendous molecular structural changes due to the high temperature, is exciting enough. :)

I am not even taking into account what the surface of Venus would be like in matter of molecular structure of minerals. :)
u should be glad that the primary goal of this mission is to study the venus atmosphere..
and the last successful atmospheric study of Venus was done by soviets back in 1984

list of mission to venus..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_missions_to_Venus

Japan and europe are the only two agencies in modern time to execute venus mission..

and in this decade INDIA will be the only country to execute a Venus mission (@Indx TechStyle correct me if i am wrong)

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Japan and europe are the only two agencies in modern time to execute venus mission..
Besides USSR & USA. Russia will go there again before us.
Interestingly, Soviets and Russians have been obsessed with Venus since start.
and in this decade INDIA will be the only country to execute a Venus mission (@Indx TechStyle correct me if i am wrong)
Next decade! Year 2023.
India will also try for Jupiter beyond that.

Akask kumar

Besides USSR & USA. Russia will go there again before us.
Interestingly, Soviets and Russians have been obsessed with Venus since start.
Next decade! Year 2023.
India will also try for Jupiter beyond that.
i just counted.there were 29 mission to venus by soviets alone {including failed ones}.. i cant understand their obsession,there must be some secret hidden on venus..

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Next destination may be planet Venus: ISRO chairman
"We are looking at the Venus, Mars Orbiter Mission-2 and Asteroid missions. A study team has been set up''.
Speaking about the Chandrayan-2 mission he said, "We are targeting the first quarter of 2018. It will be launched somewhere between December 2017 to March 2018."
Sriharikota: Indian Space Research Organisation is drafting proposals to send missions to Venus and another mission to Mars, according to Isro chairman A.S. Kiran Kumar.
"We are looking at the Venus, Mars Orbiter Mission-2 and Asteroid missions. A study team has been set up. Towards the MOM2 and Venus missions, the government has provided the budget allotments. We have to come up with exact project proposals," he said.
The proposals should have details like what its intended study area and what are the instruments can be taken on board and the cost details. Speaking about the Chandrayan-2 mission he said, "We are targeting the first quarter of 2018. It will be launched somewhere between December 2017 to March 2018."
Unlike the Chandrayan-1, which was just an orbiter, the second mission to the moon will have a lander and rover. The lander for the Chandrayan-2 will soon undergo test at Mahendragiri.

Akask kumar

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
View From The Right: ISRO, to Venus
It underlines that the Narendra Modi government “has provided budgetary provisions so that ISRO just doesn’t stop at Mars but will now go to Venus too”.
Compiled by Ashutosh Bharadwaj
The cover story in Organiser is on the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO), which “created a world record” for successfully “launching the PSLV C-37 rocket which carried 104 satellites from seven different countries”. Noting that “the journey of space research in Bharat has been painful”, but “prolific”, the article says that “ISRO’s model of efficient and economic satellite launching is inspiring for the whole world”.
It underlines that the Narendra Modi government “has provided budgetary provisions so that ISRO just doesn’t stop at Mars but will now go to Venus too”.
The article traces the history of ISRO and begins with the “early 1960’s when applications using satellites were in experimental stages even in the United States”. It hails Dr Vikram Sarabhai, “the founding father of Indian space programme”, who “quickly recognised the benefits of space technologies”. Sarabhai “summoned an army of able and brilliant scientists, anthropologists, communicators and social scientists from all corners of the country to spearhead the Indian space programme”. It also quotes RSS’s Sarkaryavah Bhayyaji Joshi who said after the launch that “Bharat has been a pioneer not only in the spiritual sciences but also in the empirical sciences”. Joshi listed an “unending stream of scientists… from Aryabhatta and Varahamihara” to contemporary scientists and said that India is a “strong but benign contender in the field at the international level”.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Announcement of Opportunity (AO) for Space Based Experiments to Study Venus
Solar system studies have seen a remarkable growth in the last few decades, due to advances in space technology, observational capabilities and computational technologies. This has enhanced our knowledge and understanding of the diversity of complex processes across the Solar system. It is quite interesting to find clues as to how the planetary systems might have originated and evolved, and how they are different and similar to each other.

Venus is often described as the "twin sister" of the Earth because of the similarities in size, mass, density, bulk composition and gravity. It is believed that both planets share a common origin, forming at the same time out of a condensing nebulosity around 4.5 billion years ago. Venus is around 30% closer to the sun as compared to Earth resulting in much higher solar flux. Exploration of Venus began in the early 1960s. Venus has been explored by flyby, orbiter, a few lander missions and atmospheric probes. In spite of great progress made in exploring Venus, there still exist gaps in our basic understanding about surface/sub-surface features and processes, super rotation of Venusian atmosphere and its evolution and interaction with solar radiation/solar wind.

In this context, proposals are solicited from interested scientists within India for novel space based experiments. This Announcement of Opportunity (AO) is addressed to all institutions in India. Those sending proposals may be currently involved in planetary exploration studies / the development of science instruments for space / willing to develop the experiments. The Principal Investigator of the proposal should (i) provide necessary details of the instrument which can address the scientific problems and (ii) be capable of bringing together the instrument team and lead the team for developing a space qualified instrument.

The payload capability of the proposed satellite is likely to be 175 kg with 500W of power. However these values are to be tuned based on the final configuration. The proposed orbit is expected to be around 500 x 60,000 km around Venus. This orbit is likely to be reduced gradually, over several months to a lower apoapsis.

The Proposal is to be submitted through the head of institution (send the advance copy in word and the signed pdf copy by speed post/email) to :

Programme Director,

Space Science Programme Office,

ISRO HQ, Antariksh Bhavan,

New BEL Road,

Bangalore-560231

Email: [email protected]

The last date for receiving the proposal is 19 May 2017.

Format for submitting the proposal

1. Executive Summary of the proposal (two pages)
  2. Scientific Objectives
  3. Detailed scientific justification including expected results and significance compared to previous and contemporary missions
  4. Mass, power, volume requirements of the experiment
  5. Any other special requirements from the spacecraft
  6. Detailed PERT chart and time schedule for completion of Laboratory Model / Verification model, which should have the same design and approximately same size as flight model.
  7. In addition, indicate the time duration required for development, testing and calibration of Qualification Model (Should be identical in Mass, Volume and Design as Flight Model and should undergo all environmental tests) and Flight Model from T0, assuming T0 being the date of approval for the project proposal.
  8. Calibration procedures for the experiment and plans for data processing, analysis, software pipeline.
  9. Available facility at your institute/ laboratory for the development and calibration of the payload
  10. Scientific and Engineering team proposed to be involved and their expertise and achievements in the related field.
  11. Year-wise budget requirements
  12. A summary table as given below in annexure -1
In order to identify the most optimum suite of experiments, the proposers will be requested to make a presentation to a review committee as and when required. The final selected proposals will incorporate any suggestions made by the review committee.

Click here for Annexure -1

Thanks, ISRO - Government of India

@Chinmoy may be interested.

Screambowl

Ghanta Senior Member?
Country flag
i just counted.there were 29 mission to venus by soviets alone {including failed ones}.. i cant understand their obsession,there must be some secret hidden on venus..
there was race to reach planets b/w US and USSR this is why.

Chinmoy

Country flag
Announcement of Opportunity (AO) for Space Based Experiments to Study Venus
Solar system studies have seen a remarkable growth in the last few decades, due to advances in space technology, observational capabilities and computational technologies. This has enhanced our knowledge and understanding of the diversity of complex processes across the Solar system. It is quite interesting to find clues as to how the planetary systems might have originated and evolved, and how they are different and similar to each other.

Venus is often described as the "twin sister" of the Earth because of the similarities in size, mass, density, bulk composition and gravity. It is believed that both planets share a common origin, forming at the same time out of a condensing nebulosity around 4.5 billion years ago. Venus is around 30% closer to the sun as compared to Earth resulting in much higher solar flux. Exploration of Venus began in the early 1960s. Venus has been explored by flyby, orbiter, a few lander missions and atmospheric probes. In spite of great progress made in exploring Venus, there still exist gaps in our basic understanding about surface/sub-surface features and processes, super rotation of Venusian atmosphere and its evolution and interaction with solar radiation/solar wind.

In this context, proposals are solicited from interested scientists within India for novel space based experiments. This Announcement of Opportunity (AO) is addressed to all institutions in India. Those sending proposals may be currently involved in planetary exploration studies / the development of science instruments for space / willing to develop the experiments. The Principal Investigator of the proposal should (i) provide necessary details of the instrument which can address the scientific problems and (ii) be capable of bringing together the instrument team and lead the team for developing a space qualified instrument.

The payload capability of the proposed satellite is likely to be 175 kg with 500W of power. However these values are to be tuned based on the final configuration. The proposed orbit is expected to be around 500 x 60,000 km around Venus. This orbit is likely to be reduced gradually, over several months to a lower apoapsis.

The Proposal is to be submitted through the head of institution (send the advance copy in word and the signed pdf copy by speed post/email) to :

Programme Director,

Space Science Programme Office,

ISRO HQ, Antariksh Bhavan,

New BEL Road,

Bangalore-560231

Email: [email protected]

The last date for receiving the proposal is 19 May 2017.

Format for submitting the proposal

1. Executive Summary of the proposal (two pages)
  2. Scientific Objectives
  3. Detailed scientific justification including expected results and significance compared to previous and contemporary missions
  4. Mass, power, volume requirements of the experiment
  5. Any other special requirements from the spacecraft
  6. Detailed PERT chart and time schedule for completion of Laboratory Model / Verification model, which should have the same design and approximately same size as flight model.
  7. In addition, indicate the time duration required for development, testing and calibration of Qualification Model (Should be identical in Mass, Volume and Design as Flight Model and should undergo all environmental tests) and Flight Model from T0, assuming T0 being the date of approval for the project proposal.
  8. Calibration procedures for the experiment and plans for data processing, analysis, software pipeline.
  9. Available facility at your institute/ laboratory for the development and calibration of the payload
  10. Scientific and Engineering team proposed to be involved and their expertise and achievements in the related field.
  11. Year-wise budget requirements
  12. A summary table as given below in annexure -1
In order to identify the most optimum suite of experiments, the proposers will be requested to make a presentation to a review committee as and when required. The final selected proposals will incorporate any suggestions made by the review committee.

Click here for Annexure -1

Thanks, ISRO - Government of India

@Chinmoy may be interested.
:biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2:.... I am pretty much interested. But alas, I am not that talented as our scientist and couldnot take any opportunity out of this...:crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying:

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
View From The Right: ISRO, to Venus
Compiled by Ashutosh Bharadwaj
No problem with it

but tell Namo to simultaneously solve 'effin Kashmir problem as well !!
while wanting to put a man in space , also put our Pundits back in Kashmir as well !!!

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
:biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2:.... I am pretty much interested. But alas, I am not that talented as our scientist and couldnot take any opportunity out of this...:crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying:
Data,
Venus must be having some resources? o_O

Chinmoy

Country flag
Data,
Venus must be having some resources? o_O
As of now lets just concentrate on studying the environment of the planet. Mining it for resources would mean to work in extreme heat and Sulphur rich environment. We all know what havoc Sulphur gas does plays on metals. Now I could only imagine what super heated Sulpher would do. So lets explore the opportunities first and work on it. :)

Flame Thrower

As of now lets just concentrate on studying the environment of the planet. Mining it for resources would mean to work in extreme heat and Sulphur rich environment. We all know what havoc Sulphur gas does plays on metals. Now I could only imagine what super heated Sulpher would do. So lets explore the opportunities first and work on it. :)
Guys, let me remind you of one thing i.e., Indian Bureaucracy. It hardly provides funds(miracle if provided in time) for research. Sometimes I feel that getting funds to certain projects is a miracle(hope I am wrong and things changed for ISRO after Mangalyan). Our scientists might have gone through enough pain to explain the story to enough bureaucrats. Lets not dig it up. They know what they are doing.

Now when it comes to mining helium 3, we need to start consuming it in huge quantities i.e., for nuclear fusion. It would take atleast a decade or 2. This is just one of the reasons why ISRO has planned to start minig H3 by 2030. China has aimed 2017/18!? and Russia at 2020 to start mining H3. It seems that both of'em will miss their deadline.

If there is any break through in converting H3 to energy happens, ISRO will prioritize minig H3.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Nov 06, 2018 : Announcement of Opportunity (AO) to international science community for Space-Based Experiments to Study Venus
From above PDF:
Details of satellite
The payload capacity of the proposed satellite is likely to be ~100 kg with ~500W of power. The proposed highly inclined orbit is expected to be around 500x60,000km around Venus. This orbit is likely to be reduced gradually, over several months to a lower apoapsis. However, these values are likely to be tuned based on the final spacecraft configuration.
Payloads
1. S-Band Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR)
2. Advanced Radar for Topside Ionosphere
and subsurface sounding
3. Ultra Violet (UV) Imaging Spectroscopy
Telescope
4. Thermal Camera
5. Cloud Monitoring Camera
6. Venus Atmospheric SpectroPolarimeter
7. Airglow photometer
8. Radio Occultation Experiment
9. Ionospheric Electron Temperature Analyser
10. Retarding Potential Analyser
11. Mass Spectrometer
12. Plasma Wave Detector (Langmuir Probe, Electric Field Sensor and Magnetometer)

The mission will occur most likely only after India's manned space mission.
2019 - Moon mission
2020 - AstroSat 2 & Aditya L1
2021 - XPOSat & Gaganyaan in December
After 2023 - Mangalyan 2 & Shukrayaan
Post 2025 - Missions to Jupiter & Asteroids

It shows 2023 on wiki, I think India can afford to delay further if we can manage to send a 3-4 tonnes class sophisticated orbiter at that time.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Isro plans Venus mission for 2023, invites international payloads
Isro’s Venus mission will focus on studying the surface and the sub-surface of the planet, atmospheric chemistry, and the interactions with solar radiation or solar winds.

India will send 12 scientific payloads aboard the satellite for the Venus mission, including a thermal camera, mass spectrometer and cloud monitoring camera.(ISRO Photo)
The Indian Space Research Organisation (Isro) has invited international proposals for scientific payloads for its second interplanetary mission to Venus in mid-2023, which is planned within a year of the first planned human spaceflight mission in 2022.
India will send 12 scientific payloads aboard the satellite for the Venus mission, including a thermal camera, mass spectrometer and cloud monitoring camera. The final spacecraft is likely to have a payload capacity of close to 100 kg, with 500W of power, according to the Isro website.The satellite is likely to be launched into a highly-inclined orbit of 500x60,000 km around Venus. The apoapsis, or the point when the satellite is furthest away from Venus, will gradually reduce over several months. Venus is considered to be Earth’s “twin sister” because of similarities in size, mass, density, composition and gravity. The mission will focus on studying the surface and the sub-surface of the planet, atmospheric chemistry, and the interactions with solar radiation or solar winds.
“This is the natural progression for Isro. For years, India’s space missions focussed on its local and economic usability. If the organisation has to progress and compete with other major space programmes, it will have to look at pure exploratory missions like Chandryaan and Mangalyaan,” said Rajeswari Pillai Rajagopalan, head of the Nuclear and Space Policy Initiative at Observer Research Foundation.
“This will establish Isro’s image as a low-cost launcher and to address capacity deficit in Isro’s for catering to the commercial needs, it will help to open up the space sector for collaborations with private players using tried and tested launch vehicles like the PSLV,” she said.
Isro has also invited proposals for experiments to be conducted on a microgravity platform aboard its human spaceflight programme. The experiments will be conducted remotely at an orbit of nearly 400 kms from earth, either inside an enclosure with earth-like temperature and pressure or outside it.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles