Future Infantry Combat Vehicle (FICV)

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
They should have common platform, turret change feature plus wont be bad idea if future tanks ia made as per tata whap.
engine in front and 10 soldiers at the back, it is almost same in Markava 4 with 6 soldiers in the back.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Apparently the IA has taken a very keen interest in the Kestral.....

AVERAGE INDIAN

EXORCIST
Country flag
India May Restart Vehicle Program

NEW DELHI — India's Defence Ministry is considering restarting a US $10 billion infantry vehicle replacement program in order to include more domestic defense companies as potential bidders.

The Future Infantry Combat Vehicle (FICV) program is likely to be among the first major decisions by the new government voted in last month, an MoD source said.

The Indian Army wants to produce 3,000 vehicles to replace upgraded Russian combat vehiclesat a cost of over $10 billion under the FICV program, first conceived in 2009.

Under the "Make India" arrangement, the government will finance up to 80 percent of the cost of the prototype, to be built by two short-listed development partners. After the prototype is put to trial and evaluated, one development partner is selected to produce the futuristic vehicles.

After the program was conceived in 2009, India's domestic defense major Mahindra & Mahindra created a joint venture with BAE Systems. Also, Larsen & Toubro, Tata Motors and state-owned Ordnance Factories Board (OFB) gave their detailed report to the MoD nearly three years ago, but no development partner has been short listed so far.

The program will be restarted to include private-sector firms Bharat Forge, Punj Lloyd, Force Motors and Ashok Leyland. The new domestic companies will be included in the FICV program and a fresh "acceptance of necessity" will be approved under the Make India category, the source added.

The overseas firms likely to join the domestic ones include Rafael of Israel, Nexter and Thales of France, General Dynamics of the US, Rosoboronexport of Russia, Doosan Group of South Korea and Krauss-Maffei Wegmann of Germany, according to an industry source.

The proposed FICV will have a combat weight of less than 20 tons, amphibious capability, a third generation fire-and-forget anti-tank guided missile, automatic grenade launcher and co-axial machine gun.

After the approval of the acceptance of necessity and inclusion of more domestic defense companies, detailed reports will be submitted to the MoD by the end of year, after which two development partners will be shortlisted. Those two entities have three years to build the prototype. The selection of a single vehicle producer will be made in four to five years, the MoD source added.

"Since the MoD has no previous experience of making weapons under the Make India category, it is likely that the whole program will get bogged down in bureaucratic details at a later stage, and there is every possibility of the FICV program becoming a non starter," said Nitin Mehta, New Delhi-based defense analyst.

In 2012, the FICV program went into limbo after the Russians offered their BMP-3 infantry combat vehicle if the FICV project was scrapped. The MoD has since rejected the Russian offer of scrapping the FICV because the domestic defense companies have already invested heavily in the program, the MoD source added.

The Army is using the Russian-made BMP-1 and BMP-2 infantry combat vehicles, which are slotted for midlife upgrades.

The Army will need advanced vehicles to replace the upgraded BMP-2 in another 10 years, said an Army official, who hoped that by then the FICV program will be in the production line.

India May Restart Vehicle Program | Defense News | defensenews.com

pmaitra

Re: India May Restart Vehicle Program

Do we really need overseas firms to join in?

Well, if we really need them, then I am fine with it. I am of the opinion that Indian automobile companies are well capable of making an FICV. Correct me if I am wrong.

Kaalapani

Tihar Jail
Banned

The entire programme was cancelled just to satisfy arms lobbyist.

turkey is making all weapons why cant we.with both Defence and Civilian markets bigger than them.

Sonia sold our country to Vatican lobbyist.

bose

Country flag

Well, if we really need them, then I am fine with it. I am of the opinion that Indian automobile companies are well capable of making an FICV. Correct me if I am wrong.
I am not sure if I have understood your point... I believe that it will not be a good idea to design and produce a FICV within the country from scratch... it will take another 12 to 15 years from conceptualization, design, prototype, testing and setup for production line... rather if we can purchase a good modern design off the self and produce locally and go on improving the existing base model... This will ensure that IA get adequate supplies of ICV's...

Twinblade

Country flag

I am not sure if I have understood your point... I believe that it will not be a good idea to design and produce a FICV within the country from scratch... it will take another 12 to 15 years from conceptualization, design, prototype, testing and setup for production line... rather if we can purchase a good modern design off the self and produce locally and go on improving the existing base model... This will ensure that IA get adequate supplies of ICV's...
Under the FICV project, the technologies developed in ICV Abhay project will be made available to all participants to design their own FICV (Like CVRDE-TATA WhAP Kestrel), which include :-
- Light weight armour and ERA
- Amphibious Hull
- Power plant
- Hydrojet Propulsion

Participants are free to bring in their own technology. Top two designs will selected for prototypes, the winning design will be made by both finalists in the ratio of 70:30.
@pmaitra, can you merge it with the FICV thread ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Twinblade

Country flag

Zebra

Country flag

An opportunity there, (if I am not wrong)......

Finland Begins Search For Industrial Owner For Patria | Defense News | defensenews.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Land | Patria

Products and services | Patria

pmaitra

An opportunity there, (if I am not wrong)......

Finland Begins Search For Industrial Owner For Patria | Defense News | defensenews.com

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Land | Patria

Products and services | Patria
If they are offering something our domestic companies cannot, then yes, a good opportunity. I would be interested to know more about their mortar system. Is it like the German weasel?

Rheinmetall mobile mortar weasel

Illusive

Country flag

Patria would be a great company for some Tata etc. Of course msjority shares are owned by Finnish state.

Nice, but wierd camo.

Tata could, but they already have a product to offer.

jouni

Nice, but wierd camo.

Tata could, but they already have a product to offer.
Patria uses industrial designers and artists in the design phase. You should too, no offense but this Kestrel like Arjun and Tejas all look "a little bit old" design wise. I know you do not like to hear it but even Russian stuff looks better than yours.

Illusive

Country flag

Patria uses industrial designers and artists in the design phase. You should too, no offense but this Kestrel like Arjun and Tejas all look "a little bit old" design wise. I know you do not like to hear it but even Russian stuff looks better than yours.
We may not make fancy stuff like the europeans, but it works well for our conditions.

karn

Country flag

And TATA uses lumber jacks to design its products .
Perhaps if those "artists" and industrial designers had spent less time making i look pretty they would have had a more capable vehicle.

Last edited:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles