Arjun Main Battle Tank (MBT)

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Is Shiv Aroor's blog the official view of the Army, Govt etc?

Has there been any official confirmation that the Arjun is doomed?

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
I knew Arjun when i was in middle school, i have been following the news about this tank for years.
I know many Indians pin great hopes on Arjun, and i totally understand that sentiment.
Like we Chinese expect J10 to be a superior plane, but the fact is J10 is not so good, at least for now.
Your reading of the topic is all wrong. Arjun is not a fundamental requirement of our national security.

I believe IA has its good reasons, which in fact are pretty simple--T90 is superior to Arjun, to induct more T90 other than Arjuns.
Many choose to ignore that fact, so let me ask you,
who is the expert on tanks, you or IA?
who is going to use these tanks to fight, you or IA?
Why you guys only choose to believe the developer of this tank rather than listenning to IA who is going to be the user of this tank?
I believe if Arjun is as superior as DRDO claims, IA will induct it massively without any hesitation, IA is not an idiot.
Convoluted logic. Why is USAF not buying more F-22s ?

You have forgotten to take into account certain fundamental facts. For eg.
1. Logistics - Arjun is a heavier and wider tank. T-90 has a similar footprint to the T-72
2. Production Rate - T-90 can be produced rapidly. As Arjun is still evolving and its indigenous content is low, its production will be lower initially.
3. Doctrinal Change - T-90 is the basis of IA's doctrine. Arjun's capabilities are still evolving.

But, despite all i said above, i think IA should order more Arjun, after all it is developed by Indian, even if it is not good enough to compete with T90 for now, you can improve it in the future.
That is no excuse. IA will go for the product that fits its requirements, even if its designed by a Chinese.
And India-Russia are already in the process of developing a NG MBT.

pankaj nema

Country flag
But Arjun Mk 2 was always on the cards.tank Ex is nothing but Arjun MK 2 .It weighs 47 tonnes.
So why shud army order 500 Arjun tanks, when it knows that it can be improved.

Just as LCA Mk 1 was capped at 40 planes and ADA told to make LCA Mk 2 Never Mind the delays.

The DRDO 's issues were abt sabotage by Army during trials and the Army wanted the weight reduced.
From the 58 tonnes now

The 500 Arjuns that DRDO wants to "sell" to the Army would cost 8000 crores.

Our T 72 fleet is being modernised. THen we are making 1000 more T 90s

The army perhaps does not want to have 3 tanks and increase its problems of spares and maintenance.

In future either Arjun mark 2 comes up as better tank or the Army will replace T 72 with T 95
T 95 will have a range of 6000 metres .For current Arjun tank we have to get better bridging equipment
which can carry its weight.

I believe the Army has set its eyes and heart on T 95. And now money is not a problem.

Bhim SP guns are being revived .( DEF EXPO 10)

It will use Arjun Chassis.

nimo_cn

Country flag
Your reading of the topic is all wrong. Arjun is not a fundamental requirement of our national security.
So according to you, India has developed a superior tank that doesn't even fit the fundamental requirement of your national security!
Convoluted logic. Why is USAF not buying more F-22s ?
Are you comparing Arjun to F-22?

You have forgotten to take into account certain fundamental facts. For eg.
1. Logistics - Arjun is a heavier and wider tank. T-90 has a similar footprint to the T-72
2. Production Rate - T-90 can be produced rapidly. As Arjun is still evolving and its indigenous content is low, its production will be lower initially.
3. Doctrinal Change - T-90 is the basis of IA's doctrine. Arjun's capabilities are still evolving.
To be frank, that alone makes Arjun a failure!
That is no excuse. IA will go for the product that fits its requirements, even if its designed by a Chinese.
And India-Russia are already in the process of developing a NG MBT.
In that case, India can never develop a tank that can fit your requirement independently if IA didn't even give an opportunity to Arjun.

gogbot

I knew Arjun when i was in middle school, i have been following the news about this tank for years.
I know many Indians pin great hopes on Arjun, and i totally understand that sentiment.
Like we Chinese expect J10 to be a superior plane, but the fact is J10 is not so good, at least for now.

I believe IA has its good reasons, which in fact are pretty simple--T90 is superior to Arjun, to induct more T90 other than Arjuns.
Many choose to ignore that fact, so let me ask you,
who is the expert on tanks, you or IA?
who is going to use these tanks to fight, you or IA?
Why you guys only choose to believe the developer of this tank rather than listenning to IA who is going to be the user of this tank?
I believe if Arjun is as superior as DRDO claims, IA will induct it massively without any hesitation, IA is not an idiot.

But, despite all i said above, i think IA should order more Arjun, after all it is developed by Indian, even if it is not good enough to compete with T90 for now, you can improve it in the future.
You make a perfectly good point and in any normal circumstances, i would agree with you.
But you see these are not entirely normal circumstances.

I will explain in a moment why i think that what the IA is just making up Rubbish reasons to keep the Arjun down.

But for now consider this.

The LCA tejas another indigenous weapons system in the works for years. was also not accepted by the IAF . After years in the works they told the developers there were not happy with the performance.
And we were all told the reasons as to why. the engine and Radar were simply not up to scratch.
But what did the IAF do next, they worked with both HAL/DRDO to increase the performance of the aircraft. and as a result the LCA-Mk2 is being developed. With more powerful engine and a advanced radar.
We had both cause and effect. And the future or flight path of the project was never in question.
This is how development works. You evolve and adapt your weapons systems to your changing needs and threats.
this is what we have and this is what we want.

And in the mean time the IAF is still inducting the most advanced systems according to their specifications. And these same specification also conform to the LCA.
SO we can never fault them for not taking the full advantage fo the LCA Mk-1. AS the IAF is simply saying right now we can get a weapons systems which is superior from Foreign manufacturers.
ITs the DRDO and HAL developers who have to ensure that their products are just as good and competitive.

Indians agree and respect these decisions and actions taken by the IAF.
Especially their proactive participation in the MCA project.

but lets now consider the Arjun tank.

Lets examine the issue that make the army's decisions frankly infuriating and suspicious

-First of i find it hard to accept that it is the defense ministry that is supposedly going to make this this statement.
They are the one who arranged these trials to begin with.

-Why the 1 year long fight for trials and money spent. If they had no intent on increasing the order.

-If the MoD felt the Arjun was no good, they would not have arranged these trials and DRDO would not have pushed for them.

-The India Army keeps saying that the Arjun is dated design, now if that were so true they would be getting the most highly advanced and ultra modern tanks as the alternatives.
But no what they have is a whole fleet of old T-55's , which they had to make into APC's. A slightly more relevant and lethal fleet of upgraded T-72 tanks which makes up the back bone of the army.
and fianaly the only tank they can even be considered modern and state of the in the India army other than the 134 Arjuns is the T-90. And to add insult to injury to our tank fleets, the T-90's we have are inferior to one they
have in Russia. And unlike the MKI which India made into teh best flankers in the SKY. There is no T-90 upgrade of any kind. yet we plan to induct more than a thousand by 2020. What give the army the Idea that the Arjun is
a dated tank, when they themselves want to spend ridiculous amounts of money upgrading the T-72 fleets. when a far superiors domestic alternative exists. Why does no one question that decision.
If logistics is an issue, you can still get rid of a few 100 T-72's and replace those with Arjuns. It come down to then having less T-72 and more modern Arjun Tanks. Arjun tanks that will constantly be updated and upgraded.

-The Most infuriating move the army, is that they have not give a single public reason to justify their actions. All they have siad is that We are looking for a more futuristic tank. Which is all well and good. But they themselves have made no plans reagarding that at least not publicly, and have only decided to to induct 1500 T-90's by 2020 and upgrade their fleet of 2000+ t-72's
Nothing about those two tanks or their plans so far regarding tanks is futuristic. All they have done is stone wall domestic development and give foreign manufacturing more money.
If they actually work with DRDO to make the ARjun they tank they want from what they have. I will take everything is say about the army back. But no. But they have down nothing of the sort. and the only statement they have made is Arjun capped at 124. They are not being progressive but blockades to their own indigenous sector. if they are problems you work with them to fix them. you should not have a highly publicized fight DRDO. where you are trying to sink the indigenous tank and then blatantly pick the foreign tank. Whats wrong with them. WTF seriously

-This is the same branch that has not inducted a single artillery piece in the last 25 years. why because they cant do a single defense purchase without trying to take kick backs. As a result almost all the artillery manufacturers have been blacklisted. Why is it no other branch has that kind of problem, and while they are trying to accommodate indigenous weapons platform as much as possible, the army high command is trying to circumvent an indigenous options. This is not a question of the army losing trust.
they have none left to loose. Inducting the Arjun or giving a clear reason why it is not being inducted was the first step for them to make to get some of that trust back. But if by the end of this chapter on the Arjun tank. we don't have any answers or orders. then some one needs to ask some serious question on what is happening in the IA high command and what they are planning for meeting teh nations security concerns in the next 2 decades. and then do something about it.

So let me give you rundown as why India get so pissed of about the Arjun not being in the army.

A military procurement history that has been riddled with corruption over kick bakes. which could now be affecting indigenous procurement negatively

An Indigenous tank that they themselves have admitted to meeting all their requirements. That's why 124 tanks were ordered in the first place.
The tank can even be the most armored in the region. And certainly offerers more protection than any other tank in the fleet that India has.

A fleet of dated and old foreign made tanks due to upgraded chosen over getting brand new Arjuns

A newly purchased foreign tank T-90 riddled controversy over contract beaches and under par capabilities then the highest end model of the tank(the T-90 that the Russians have with eh SHOTRA system)

No clear reasoning as to why the army has chosen to cap the orders of the Arjun. While no replacement is being sought. Its not as iff the T-90 is the replacement as the new MBT.
On the contrary. There will be more T-72' then there are T-90's.

The T-90 is not the Army's MBT nor will it ever be, accord to them they plan on inducting a "futuristic tank" , yet they are paying to upgrade the T-72 fleet upgrades to operate well into the 2020's
Have no plans to induct any new tanks before 2020.

So what is that we have in our tank fleet of 4000 by 2020, 1500 T-90's. 124 Arjuns and the rest upgraded T-72's. Why is it every one finds that a perfectly acceptable scenario.

From any point of view, HAvig a fleet of tanks spread between the T-90, Arjun is much more attractive then a whole wagon of outdated T-72's. Even if the T-72 upgrades were a complete over hall like the Tank_EX it would have been seen as an economic alternative.

But no, Can any one here tell me what the hell it is that IA high command has planned for our tank fleet.

Despite all their talk about wanting to get more advanced and more capable tanks. And that's the reason as to why the Arjun wont be inducted.
All i see 10 years down the Line is a fleet of semi-modern and life extension 40-20 year old tanks

I mean come on, why do we even have T-72's and why are we upgrading to keep them one for another 15 years.

And while we can easily induct Arjun Tanks in the thousands and concurrently work upgrade's. we have chosen to say that The Arjun is a dated design and we want something which is futuristic, and we will not cooperate with out domestic developers to get a new tanks nor will be provide any guarantees or road maps for development or specifications. And then go speak to the Foreign manufacturers as to how they can extend the life of the T-72 because they have to be so very supportive.

I respect the fine enlisted soldiers in our armed forces, But i do believe the defense procurement and policy writers for the India army have to be full of the most corrupt individuals in the nation.
See after sucessfully getting al the p money out of the Army artillery procurement so much so that in the Last 25 years we have not been able to get a single big gun.
They must have not moved their operations over to our tanks, and seeing as to how an indeginous tanks can put a spanner in their gears they put a spanner in the Arjun.

Our artillery is rubbish and if reason does not prevail our tanks will be just as rubbish

Here is a little something from our DFI memeber rage

The Artillery: The Bofors 155mm/39cal

The very ancient 130 mm M-46 (converted 155mm) field gun:

The even more ancient 122 mm D-30 gun:

And the downright antiquated 105 mm Light and Indian Field Guns:

10 years from now, he can do the same thing for our tanks.

Last edited:

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
So according to you, India has developed a superior tank that doesn't even fit the fundamental requirement of your national security!

In that case, India can never develop a tank that can fit your requirement independently if IA didn't even give an opportunity to Arjun.
1. I said that Indians don't pin great hopes on a Tank, and your sentiment is scarcely similar to our sentiment in this regard.

2. I am comparing the F-22 and Arjun programme. F-22 is a brilliant plane and Arjun is a brilliant Tank. Yet they are not being inducted in huge numbers.

3. or T-90 is more apt. If we didn't have any other option apart from Arjun, we would've inducted it, undoubtedly.

4. In any case as I have said India is already partnering with Russia to come up with a New Futuristic MBT. So save your BS.

pankaj nema

Country flag
If the airforce can be pampered with MMRCA ,then why cannot the Army get what it wants .
Army can ask the question why IAF is getting MMRCA
why cannot it use the SU 30 MkI till Pak fa is ready

T72 and T 90 are more than enough for Pakistan.For China we need light tanks.and light artillerry
We have sufficient artillery and more are coming .We have bought guns from Israel quitely without making noise.
Russian guns M 46 are being modernised.

After Bofors Artillery purchases are now always in the public eye. Media is interested in "stories"
So artillery has to be bought " quitely". No need for "drum beating"

Rocket artillery Smerch and PInaka are coming in huge numbers
Our war doctrines are based on massive fire power to over whelm the enemy defeneces.This can be better done by Rocket artillery rather than Tube Artillery.

Smerch will be our most powerful Artillery weapon. It will "take out " the enemy assets in way which nothing else can.And since Pakistan will get its own Smerch equivalent from China ,then in war NUMBERS will come into play.

Fire power Ratios have to be maintained in our favour
IF we have to spend money let it be done wisely. Why get emotional .Wars are not won by emotion.

p2prada

If the airforce can be pampered with MMRCA ,then why cannot the Army get what it wants .
At $10000/flight hour the MKI is seriously expensive. At $3000 to $5000/flight hour the MRCA is a cheaper option. FYI, PAKFA will be $1500/flight hour.

The same with Arjun. The cost of maintaining and operating such a tank is expensive compared to a lighter tank. Money has nothing to do with patriotism.

p2prada

The right words are "fundamental requirements of your pocket!" The ZTZ99 has been in operation since 2001. Only 300-400 are in operation compared to 1000s of other types. It is purely economics.

Yes. He is comparing the F-22 to the Arjun. If you don't get the point he is trying to make then it is useless discussing this.

Arjun provides nothing new. that's all. It's failure is because of time and economics and not just technological.

gogbot

getting pampered.
I see it as them taking the prerogative to improve our capabilities. They are diversifying their purchases and getting top of teh line kit for India and due to offsets made in India.
MMRCA is also meant to be more economical compared to the top of the line Su-30 MKI

IF the IA wants to do the same then why haven't they tried to issues a similar tender. and if they don't have any options why are they not trying to improve he Arjun. So as to give them selves the future option. at the very least.
All they do is buy from Russia. They Have not issued a tender for tanks since the New DPP have into place.
What attempt have they made to diversify, and even if lets say they are getting stone walled by the MoD to no issue new tenders.
Wouldn't the logical step be to then work with Domestic developers to provide them with alternatives.

Why isn't any of that happening.

T72 and T 90 are more than enough for Pakistan.For China we need light tanks.and light artillerry
That's not the question.
Our troops should have the best they can get.

Arjun or T-72

Or more T-90's or even a new tank like the Israeli Merkava

We have sufficient artillery and more are coming .We have bought guns from Israel quitely without making noise.
Russian guns M 46 are being modernised.
After Bofors Artillery purchases are now always in the public eye. Media is interested in "stories"
So artillery has to be bought " quitely". No need for "drum beating"
Oh yes the most corrupt branch in the armed forces secretly spending money how comforting.

If they did buy these things, surely hope they are begin put to good use.
But transparency is always a must. They cant simply go on with these rumors and secret purchases,

Rocket artillery Smerch and PInaka are coming in huge numbers
Our war doctrines are based on massive fire power to over whelm the enemy defeneces.This can be better done by Rocket artillery rather than Tube Artillery.
I agree , but we still need tube artillery.
We still have less than 500 rocket artillery.

And rocket artillery is generally the heavy artillery which is most difficult to move.

WE still have a need for tube artillery.

Smerch will be our most powerful Artillery weapon. It will "take out " the enemy assets in way which nothing else can.And since Pakistan will get its own Smerch equivalent from China ,then in war NUMBERS will come into play.
We have more security challenges than Pakistan and either way.
We need our troops to have the best assets they can get to do their jobs. Having internal power plays and politics stone wall the Arjun. is just a crying shame .
And to top it all off the Army wants to upgrade the T-'72's because it does not want to issues new tender for tanks. Our troops are getting a bad deal man.

Fire power Ratios have to be maintained in our favour
IF we have to spend money let it be done wisely. Why get emotional .Wars are not won by emotion.
Then i have yet to see wise spending, They are spending more than billion dollars on t-72 upgrades.
If they like foreign tanks so much, why not get more T-90's or even the Israeli Merkava.
But they choose the T-72 upgrade. over a host of other options. And this is not a jus ta limited upgrade but a plane to upgrade all the T-72's
Why ?

They can easily upgrade one T-72 and replace another one with Arjuns.

That way you cut the number of T-72's with a more capable tank. and the remaining one will be upgraded. and can serve secondary roles into the future. and enough logistics will exist for the IA to induct even more Arjuns as.
result.

My quarrel is why is this happening the way it is,

Why is we are not told anything.

What makes the Army think an upgraded fleet of T-72's is better than an equal number of Arjuns

Why they hell did they even bother with the 124 tanks in the first place.
Why get Two regiments and the logistics for them. Do the respectable thing and at least
Replace the T-55 and Vijayanta. Which are still in use and also in storage.

There are nearly thousand such tanks in use and another 1000 in storage.

You telling me the Arjun cant even replace those.

I mean come on
So many questions so few answers.

Last edited:

pankaj nema

Country flag
Quote :
"When a 50 tonnes tank trundles past saluting base ( Arjun is 58. 5 tonnes) having replaced 40 tonne tank,the general populace are appreciative of this new war machine ,not realising that,the logistic support to it has gone up by
2.5 TIMES."
Source :Indian army.nic.in /strength/ teeth and tail

So logistics is a problem with Arjun.

T 55 and Vijayantas are now with Infantry divisions to increase their firepower .They are not MBT s
Because 105mm gun of T 55 and Vijayanta is quite good.
We have enough tube artillery. the Bofors guns are still good we can make more because we
have made earlier
M 46 are upgunned to 155 mm and Soltam guns have also been bought

The IAF wanted mirage 2000- 5 in 2002 .Instead govt went for MMRCA So money is not a problem in case of
IAF . But army should support domestic industry.

The off set policy will also be applicable for T 90 and in future T 95 which we must get
1000 T 72 are being modernised at Rs 5 crore per tank .Arjun Tank costs Rs 16 crore per tank

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
The truth about Arjun lies somewhere in the middle, I believe we can get a lesson from the mightiest tank force in history the one that crushed the whermacht's armored fist i am talking about the tank armies of the soviet union. The soviets in WW2 adopetd an innovative strategem of employing heavy tanks in coordination with lighter more mobile forces and artillery. The Soviets typically used two types of armor the powerful and agile T-34/85 and the indomitable JS 111. The agenda was clear any assault on enemy strongholds would be spearheaded by the fast moving T-34 divisions when these divisions ran into a stone wall(read Tigers and konigstigers) the JS 111 would be sent in. We i believe need to adopt a similar approach both Arjun and T-90 have their roles to play. While the T-90 can be at the spearhead of any rapid thrust the Arjun must be inducted and retained for situations where we face Tanks(read T-80UD) that are as if not more powerful than the T-90.
The Arjun may not be a victim of corruption on the scale that is so hotly debated numerous times by our members , however all is not as hunky dory in the MoD as some may want us to believe. the fact remains that we have had a primarily Russian tank force since the late 60's i.e for nearly 40 yrs , No one in their right minds can advocate that the IA give up such an old tradition so abruptly ;at the same time Indigenous development must be encouraged as well.

gogbot

Quote :
"When a 50 tonnes tank trundles past saluting base ( Arjun is 58. 5 tonnes) having replaced 40 tonne tank,the general populace are appreciative of this new war machine ,not realising that,the logistic support to it has gone up by
2.5 TIMES."
Source :Indian army.nic.in /strength/ teeth and tail

So logistics is a problem with Arjun.

T 55 and Vijayantas are now with Infantry divisions to increase their firepower .They are not MBT s
Because 105mm gun of T 55 and Vijayanta is quite good.
We have enough tube artillery. the Bofors guns are still good we can make more because we
have made earlier
M 46 are upgunned to 155 mm and Soltam guns have also been bought

The IAF wanted mirage 2000- 5 in 2002 .Instead govt went for MMRCA So money is not a problem in case of
IAF . But army should support domestic industry.

The off set policy will also be applicable for T 90 and in future T 95 which we must get
1000 T 72 are being modernised at Rs 5 crore per tank .Arjun Tank costs Rs 16 crore per tank
A T-95 Indian version would be a good deal.
Not the stripped down t-90's we got now.
If we are getting a T-95 as anew MBT then i can see a sufficient reason to delay the Arjun induction till a latter upgrade.

But as it is now the army has no new plans to acquire new tanks.

And the IA has has had time to build up the logistics for the Arjun for a decade. The Arjun even has its own rail carriages now.

Don't give me that wright issue.
If that is the only issue, they they can still induct at least 500 tanks for use only in certain theaters. Like the Desert of Rajastan where they have shown to be superior to the T-90.

pavanvenkatesh

It is funny how even when the comparitive trials are not over they are already saying arjun will be capped at 124, whether Arjun is superior or not is not the question here the question is whether the arjun is complient or fits into our current military doctraine if it does then the army will induct it if it does'nt it will not thats that simple speed ,strength,accuracy etc. are not the only parameters in measuring a tank military doctraine and tactics also plays a key role if any tank or weapon does'nt fit or complement the doctraine then the lethality or abilities of any tank is useless because they cannot be used the way the army wants to use it then it will compromise the national security so we must not blindly critize our army for it, ultimately they are the end users, they are the one's who gaurd our borders, they know what is needed the most so we should just trust there judgement but it would help if the army would me more open to the media ,then lot of misinformation would be clear.

Last edited:

gogbot

It is funny how even when the comparitive trials are not over they are already saying arjun will be capped at 124, whether Arjun is superior or not is not the question here the question is whether the arjun is complient or fits into our current military doctraine if it does then the army will induct it if it does'nt it will not thats that simple speed ,strength,accuracy etc. are not the only parameters in measuring a tank military doctraine and tactics also plays a key role if any tank or weapon does'nt fit or complement the doctraine then the lethality or abilities of any tank is useless because they cannot be used the way the army wants to use it then it will compromise the national security so we must not blindly critize our army for it, ultimately they are the end users, they are the one's who gaurd our borders, they know what is needed the most so we should just trust there judgement but it would help if the army would me more open to the media ,then lot of misinformation would be clear.
Well thas all thas is needed in a nutshell

Either get more Arjuns.

or tell us why they have decided to not get any new tanks

nimo_cn

Country flag
Yes. He is comparing the F-22 to the Arjun. If you don't get the point he is trying to make then it is useless discussing this.
Of course i know he was comparing the F-22 to the Arjun.
I just thought it was a every hilarious analogy.
F-22 is a plane that is one generation ahead of the rest planes in the world.
Are you going to convince me that Arjun is one generation ahead of T90?

Last edited by a moderator:

p2prada

Of course i know he was comparing the F-22 to the Arjun.
I just thought it was a every hilarious analogy.
F-22 is a plane that is one generation ahead of the rest planes in the world.
Are you going to convince me that Arjun is one generation ahead of T90?
Like I already said. You need to understand the context. The F-22 was canceled due to finances and so has the Arjun. It has nothing to do with technology or even modesty.

nimo_cn

Country flag
Like I already said. You need to understand the context. The F-22 was canceled due to finances and so has the Arjun. It has nothing to do with technology or even modesty.
I was told that T90 manufactured in India is 2 million USD cheaper than Arjun, but still that doesn't explain the reason why IA is unwilling to induct more Arjun. Massive induction of Arjun can reduce its price.

After all, T90 is a Rassian tank, even if India is licensed to produce it. But Arjun is totally a Indian tank, designed by Indian, developed by Indian. If it is because of finance, then just limit the total number of the main battle tanks.
And one thing more, if you buy T90, money flowsto russian, if you buy Arjun, money flows to indian in the end.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles