Arjun Main Battle Tank (MBT)

flaming arrow

Now things are not going to be that easy for IA. Even iff for the time being u consider that there is some kind of sinister mechanism within the army against ARJUN it will be too difficult for them to do any kinda sabotage as the induction has already began and army till recently was denying to place fresh order on ARJUN was not attributed to inferior quality of this tank rather army's so called changed perception toward the acquisition of a futuristic
battle tank. So if MBT ARJUN turns out to be a dud then there will be a serious stress on MOD.

The induction of MBT ARJUN in bigger number seems to be distinct possibility now as many always desired.Apart from being a shot in the arm for indigenization process it might have a serious implication for pakistan as they will be forced to order T 99 from china in order to maintain some kind of eyewash parity putting further stress on their already broken economy. But even then T 99 will just be a mere eye wash as it will have very little chance in the dessert region for which it has never been built. The major advantages that ARJUN will enjoy over its adversaries will be 1. greater mobility 2. higher accuracy in firing while rolling 3. very high degree of adaptability to dessert conditions 4. very good protection.
I am sure ARJUNS MK1 WILL BE AROUND 350'S IN UPCOMING YEARS,See we cannot blame the army completey for not favouring the Arjun over t-90's,whn PA had gone for t-80UD'S we had 2 purchase a platform which was better then the t-80,arjun at that time was sorting out its issue and to be honest the pace was slow which made the army sceptical,however things have changed now ARJUN is ready and is willing to show what it is. Iam seriously looking forward to the trials beacuse people always see DRDO products as an underdog,this trial will be of of great PR Value for Arjun at an international level.I dnt knw why but i feel if at the end of the trials army is asked about the performance of Arjun over T-90 we will have a statement saying both the tanks did equally well :D.. In the upcoming future when we will be talking about a new generation of tanks it will be interesting to see what situation we go for DRDO + ISREALI STUFF OR THE RUSSIAN T-95

Chota

What's this comparitive trial all about..Will 14 Arjun Tanks fight against 14 T-90 tanks (Do they really fire against each other and see who finnaly wins ;-) ) or is it that they perform same set of tasks (like climing obstacles, firing at target etc) along side each other to find out which is the better of them?

What exactly are they doing in these tests? Is it that DRDO is sure Arjun will score more points and impress Army to order more?

Assuming wich ever way they test and Arjun losses to T-90..can we say that the present suituation will continue..

On other hand assuming if Arjun scores more points againt T-90, will it really make Army to buy more when they are already reluctant...or is to to just satisfy the ego of DRDO

It will be intresting to see how events will turn..It also seems to be a comparitive trial between Army and DRDO

Last edited:

flaming arrow

What's this comparitive trial all about..Will 14 Arjun Tanks fight against 14 T-90 tanks (Do they really fire against each other and see who finnaly wins ;-) ) or is it that they perform same set of tasks (like climing obstacles, firing at target etc) along side each other to find out which is the better of them?

What exactly are they doing in these test? Is it that DRDO is sure Arjun will score more points and impress Army to order more?
Both tanks will be for sure performing certain task with some parametres to be met,apart from that they will conducting mock exersies trying to hit each other,performance of various equipment onboard both the tanks will be also evaluated like the performance of engine,thermal imagener.Meanouvering of both tanks??.All these things will help in devising specific roles each tank can play in battle field.possibily in future battle mix of both tanks will rain havoc on the enemy armour.GURU'S to kindly enlighten us more on this.

anoop_mig25

Country flag
sorry these are very very easily available internet documents so kindly do a bit of google and u find it..to be specific russia is using several indian components for su 30 export versions(to countries other than india ofcourse) & this trend is rapidly increasing with other major suppliers to india as well.
but still i want it because if google it there is going to be waste of mine time plus goole is going to give me thousand of links with is of course not use to me

Last edited by a moderator:

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Gentlemen have a look at this video.this video will give you an idea about the fire control system n gun stabliser on board the chinese type t-99.

You know what the beautiful thing about this video is?
The Japanese Type 90 is the brood brother of the arjun having being born of the same deign philosophy based of the KRAUSS MAFFEI/ KRUP MAK Leo 2. Damn that could be arjun out there with japanese electronics

On a side note one could use the barrel of the Type 99 as an amusement park ride:D

Last edited by a moderator:

flaming arrow

You know what the beautiful thing about this video is?
The Japanese Type 90 is the brood brother of the arjun having being born of the same deign philosophy based of the KRAUSS MAFFEI/ KRUP MAK Leo 2. Damn that could be arjun out there with japanese electronics

On a side note one could use the barrel of the Type 99 as an amusement park ride:D
sir u took the words from my mouth really :) when i had posted this video on paksitani defence forum asking can somebody explain this to me man the whole of PDF had jumped on me :D their inflated ego was hurt i guess.only god knows how much blessings type-99 has got in the form of chinese brain

blade

I did not do much research on type 99, but from what is available on the wiki itself the type 99 does look like a good tank. Not something we can just ignore as an eyewash.

I doubt if Pakistan will get it though. Type 99 is China's main/future tank and they don't seem to export their top-of-the-line defence equipment to Pakistan. But this could be a good time to debate on how our Arjun would fare against the type 99 (i.e if we ever go against China).
Kindly read my post from a broad point of view. a howtzer cannon is far more powerful than a Tavor rifle carried by garud. isnt it? why they dont carry howtzer cannon ? because a cannon is not made for that. may be this is an extreme example but i am just trying to make my point clear. i never said T-99 is a worthless tank but most of its cutting edge technologies will be useless in the hot dessert of rajasthan so will be abraham. this is what i mean.Just remember the fate of russian T - 90. Without any doubt its a very very capable tank but still even after so many years many vital components of T 90S dosnt function well enough in dessert condition.Hope now i have made myself clear.[during operation dessert storm many us tanks underwent heavy refit to sustain in the dessert.right now got fever so unable to search but will surely post the link for this by tomorrow]

Last edited:

plugwater

"Army Does Not Want More Than 124 Arjun Tanks. It Is Official"

The month-long "comparitive" trials of the indigenous Arjun main battle tank end on March 15, but the DRDO's Combat Vehicles R&D Establishment (CVRDE) will have to gear up to face its worst fear, this time officially -- the Army will not order more tanks over and above the 124 already ordered. I've just spoken with a senior Defence Ministry source, who said that the DRDO would be formally told later this month that no further orders will be placed on the current configuration of the Arjun by the Army, and that further orders would be only possible on the Mark-2 or the FMBT as and when they are ready. So there it is: two regiments of the Arjun Mark-1. No more.

In July 2008, the DRDO had told the government in a note, "If the army does not place further orders for Arjun we cannot even amortize the infrastructural investments made by the government for its productionisation, thereby resulting in wasteful expenditure. The Army should place orders for additional 300 tanks before we can break even."

http://livefist.blogspot.com/2010/03/army-does-not-want-more-than-124-arjun.html

Rage

DFI TEAM
The key here:

... no further orders will be placed on the Arjun in its current configuration by the Army

New orders can be secured simply by innovation.

As I understand it, DRDO is in the process of developing a new Tank Urban survival kit for the Mk-1, with aerosol grenade launchers, laser warning systems, IR-jammer, et al. Also the Mobile Camouflaging System (MCS) and anti-helicopter rounds. And what of the LWCS being developed in conjunction with Elbit Sys, that were to be equipped on the Arjun before trials? These should make the Arjun Mk-1 a more potent force in the reckoning, nay.

IIRC, V. Selvamurthy, chief controller of research and development, also said in an article in 2009 that "other organizations were also placing orders for the Arjun".. or something to that effect. I'll try and get a hold a the article.

Edit: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...n-tanks-in-six-months/articleshow/5166167.cms

Rahul Singh

Country flag
Whatever the upgrade or additional features Army may ask for or in Arjun will be justified only when same is available with IA mainstay(in future and of course with present plans) MBT T-90. Unfortunately T-90, even in present configuration, as reported, lags far behind 'Arjun' in terms of basic and very critical requirements like Night Fighting, Gun Accuracy, Mobility, Cross country performance, Survivability etc. So, its hard to understand, why Army says 'ok' to crippled T-90 but not to Arjun, which at all is not underdog, under performing etc in relative terms?

pavanvenkatesh

we should not be too early to critize the army they are after all the one's who guard our backs, they are not idiots to reject a Superior product for no reason remember they have taken lot of products from DRDO before like Rajendra radar, 3D acquisition radar, WLR, samyukta system,pritvi, n akash, missles and pinaka MBRLS even when most of these products were delivered after years of delay so if they say they cannot be any more arjuns there must be a solid reason behind it

gogbot

"Army Does Not Want More Than 124 Arjun Tanks. It Is Official"

The month-long "comparitive" trials of the indigenous Arjun main battle tank end on March 15, but the DRDO's Combat Vehicles R&D Establishment (CVRDE) will have to gear up to face its worst fear, this time officially -- the Army will not order more tanks over and above the 124 already ordered. I've just spoken with a senior Defence Ministry source, who said that the DRDO would be formally told later this month that no further orders will be placed on the current configuration of the Arjun by the Army, and that further orders would be only possible on the Mark-2 or the FMBT as and when they are ready. So there it is: two regiments of the Arjun Mark-1. No more.

In July 2008, the DRDO had told the government in a note, "If the army does not place further orders for Arjun we cannot even amortize the infrastructural investments made by the government for its productionisation, thereby resulting in wasteful expenditure. The Army should place orders for additional 300 tanks before we can break even."

http://livefist.blogspot.com/2010/03/army-does-not-want-more-than-124-arjun.html
You know dude this is mis-leading.

For one things its not official.

The Trials have yet to end and no announcement has been made as of yet.

The Blog post only states that his sources has informed him/her that such and such will happen.

This is in no way the end of the chapter.
We will all know by they end for the weekend what is happening.

Till then ladies and gents this is only rumor.

neither DRDO or the MoD of the Indian army have issues any press release yet.

It may yet transpire as said.

But it also may not, nothing here is official.

venkat

yes its not official yet!!! No release on this matter by MOD to press!!!

Agantrope

No more order and that too the news from Livefist makes me to laugh. PTI even released the news some days back about 124 more tanks will be ordered. Ok Let wait and watch

Rahul Singh

Country flag
we should not be too early to critize the army they are after all the one's who guard our backs, they are not idiots to reject a Superior product for no reason remember they have taken lot of products from DRDO before like Rajendra radar, 3D acquisition radar, WLR, samyukta system,pritvi, n akash, missles and pinaka MBRLS even when most of these products were delivered after years of delay so if they say they cannot be any more arjuns there must be a solid reason behind it
Very simple answer. Unlike these equipments MBTs are sold and procured in numbers as high as thousands thereby gaining much attention of the manufacturer in relative term. Even MBTs sold once doesn't mean all over, a fleet of +2000 MBTs brings business back and back again and again to the OEM in the form of sub-system sells and upgrades. All in all, these factors pushes the stakes at much much higher level and to protect their business, Russians(manufacturer in this case) have planted and nurtured a pro-Russian lobby, which is manned by corrupt section of army, inside SENA BHAWAN, which is working 24x7 to protect Russian business.

More Arjuns means more publicity of Arjun's superiority and might mean no T-90. A T-90 cost almost Rs19 crore and 2000 T-90 will mean Rs 2000 x 19 crore. Here economics clearly speaks why all these and that but not Arjun......

nimo_cn

Country flag
I knew Arjun when i was in middle school, i have been following the news about this tank for years.
I know many Indians pin great hopes on Arjun, and i totally understand that sentiment.
Like we Chinese expect J10 to be a superior plane, but the fact is J10 is not so good, at least for now.

I believe IA has its good reasons, which in fact are pretty simple--T90 is superior to Arjun, to induct more T90 other than Arjuns.
Many choose to ignore that fact, so let me ask you,
who is the expert on tanks, you or IA?
who is going to use these tanks to fight, you or IA?
Why you guys only choose to believe the developer of this tank rather than listenning to IA who is going to be the user of this tank?
I believe if Arjun is as superior as DRDO claims, IA will induct it massively without any hesitation, IA is not an idiot.

But, despite all i said above, i think IA should order more Arjun, after all it is developed by Indian, even if it is not good enough to compete with T90 for now, you can improve it in the future.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles