ADA Tejas (LCA) News and Discussions

Which role suits LCA 'Tejas' more than others from following options?

• Interceptor-Defend Skies from Intruders.

Votes: 342 51.3%
  • Airsuperiority-Complete control of the skies.

Votes: 17 2.5%
  • Strike-Attack deep into enemy zone.

Votes: 24 3.6%
  • Multirole-Perform multiple roles.

Votes: 284 42.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rahul Singh

Country flag
What about the tactics used?
There is strength in numbers. Will PAF use JF-17 in air defence role or used in a strike formation?
Is Tejas going to be used as a strike aircraft at all even if we hit the number PAF has? Is it even realistic for us to think that Tejas will faceoff with JF-17, may be a Su-30 on a strike role might be intercepted by JF-17.

Coming to JF-17 as a close relative of Mig-21, did our IAF put Tejas and Mig-21 against each other and check?

Sorry, too many doubts :)
That was plain and straight technical comparison. In a 1 vs 1 Tejas wins hands down due to technical advantages.

As far as tactics are concerned. Well, these things are never shared with the public. So can't comment. But IAF considers Tejas to be better than Mirage 2000 in every aspect minus combat load. It gives a hint.

Numbers, sure, JF-17 has a great lead over Tejas. But in a war those all plus 160 JF-17s won't face against 123 Tejas at once. Tejas will face JF-17 in and around its own area of responsibility and deployment. In rest of the areas, it be will other IAF fighter jets against JF-17.

Tejas will be deployed across FOBs on the western side for sure. This Ex Ganagashati they are conducting is to see first ever deployment of Tejas at some of FOBs. So against PAF which majorly has JF-17 few serviceable F-16s, there is a good chance that Tejas will face against these together with Mirage 2000 and Mig-29s. In a two-front war scenario, SU-30 MKI will be mostly deployed against PLAAF.

Still, if PAF will be able to use American F-16s at all, against us in a war is a thing to be seen. I don't think Americans would allow them especially given the present relation between India and US. There is already a dearth of F-16's spares in Pakistan which is only getting worse due to dipping relationship and Money.

Against Mig-21 Tejas holds an upper hand in BVR and WVRAAM already--better radars, missile and HMDS. In a gun to gun dual Tejas with carefree manoeuvring capability can operate at end of the envelope, Mig-21 not so much without risking departure. That's one aspect where Tejas holds the upper hand. As far as tactics are concerned well during 6 day war and during Yom Kippur war Mirage 3s and Mirage 5s had scored significantly greater kill ratio against Mig-21s. And IAF considers Tejas to have better handling qualities than Mirage 2000. So hints are there.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Su30 is also all metal frame. So are F16. F15, MiG29 etc. I would not pin point JF17 for that.

Also, the weapons store of BVR missile is not related to the plane. There is no reason to not use AIM 120C in JF17.

How do you know that JF17 FBW is poor?
1) seriously doubt Americans will allow AIM-120C to be integrated with Chinese radar
2) LCA BVRAAM (DERBY MK.3/I-DERBY ER) > AIM-120C

Kshithij

DharmaYoddha
1) seriously doubt Americans will allow AIM-120C to be integrated with Chinese radar
2) LCA BVRAAM (DERBY MK.3/I-DERBY ER) > AIM-120C
Yes, I understand that the integration of AIM120C with Chinese/Pakistani avionics or radar will be very difficult as USA is unlikely to give source code for the missile.
But, regarding Derby bing better than AIM120C, it is not true. Derby is 105kg missile with 40-50km range whereas AIM120C weighs about 180kg and has range of 100-110km.

Steven Rogers

NaPakiRoaster
Country flag
Yes, I understand that the integration of AIM120C with Chinese/Pakistani avionics or radar will be very difficult as USA is unlikely to give source code for the missile.
But, regarding Derby bing better than AIM120C, it is not true. Derby is 105kg missile with 40-50km range whereas AIM120C weighs about 180kg and has range of 100-110km.
He compared Derby-I with all versions of AMRAAM accept AIM120D

Sent from my Aqua Ace II using Tapatalk

Kshithij

DharmaYoddha
He compared Derby-I with all versions of AMRAAM accept AIM120D

AIM120C itself is 100km+ range. AIM120D is 180km range. AIM120C has range of 100-110km and weight 180kg whereas Derby has range 50km and weight 105kg. Astra has 155kg weight and range of 80km

Steven Rogers

NaPakiRoaster
Country flag
AIM120C itself is 100km+ range. AIM120D is 180km range. AIM120C has range of 100-110km and weight 180kg whereas Derby has range 50km and weight 105kg. Astra has 155kg weight and range of 80km
He compared AMRAAM with "Derby-I" or Derby ER which has 100kms of killing range against maneuvering targets, unlike AMRAAM series which has 100km or above range for non-maneuvering target . Astra now weighs around 170kgees. Derby I has same weight but with an upgraded dual pulse rocket motor which gives inherent advantage over any AMRAAM in higher NEZ. It claims 80 percent of Meteor performance at 20 percent cheaper cost.

tejas warrior

Country flag
It's been customary to complete the handling and carriage trials and assess the aircraft performance and flight flutter test before any of the stores combinations are cleared from flight test perspective. Flight Flutter test, Stores separation tests and carriages trials are so interlinked that it takes huge amount of deliberations in inter-disciplinary meetings to operationally clear a particular stores combination.
We dedicate this image of KH-2014 landing back after a carriages trial with 4X1000lbs inert bombs in two tandem pylons in the IB and 2X800 Ltr DTs in MB and 2XR-73 CCM to all those backroom boys and girls who put their heart out in this effort.
Afterall, it is those efforts from each of such individuals has resulted in Tejas, the way she is today.

Jai Hind..

#LCATejas #IAF #HAL #ADA #NFTC
Copyright: ADA

binayak95

Country flag
It's been customary to complete the handling and carriage trials and assess the aircraft performance and flight flutter test before any of the stores combinations are cleared from flight test perspective. Flight Flutter test, Stores separation tests and carriages trials are so interlinked that it takes huge amount of deliberations in inter-disciplinary meetings to operationally clear a particular stores combination.
We dedicate this image of KH-2014 landing back after a carriages trial with 4X1000lbs inert bombs in two tandem pylons in the IB and 2X800 Ltr DTs in MB and 2XR-73 CCM to all those backroom boys and girls who put their heart out in this effort.
Afterall, it is those efforts from each of such individuals has resulted in Tejas, the way she is today.

Jai Hind..

#LCATejas #IAF #HAL #ADA #NFTC
Copyright: ADA
Bhai picture kahaan hai?
Please post the pic. We are all eager to see such an impressive loadout.

mayfair

Bhai I m not comparing. main gussa..nikal rahatha.... frustration...bahut boltethe paki ....tejas development ke baremain. .
Bhai, dogs bark, let them..Napakis have verbal diarrhoea, let them spew their own shite. Why let them get under your skin? Let them rant all they want..

Rahul Singh

Country flag
^^ here.

30 charssssssssssss
That's called FOC in sight.

ADA is definitely at the advanced level in weapon configuration development and FCS optimization.

This is the very first time Drop tanks are seen on Mid board stations. Definitely to simulate a long-range strike mission.

Effective no. of stations in this configuration is 10. In due course, they will surely put BVRAAM on mid wing stations once BVRAAM is fully operational. SAAW on quad racks will be either be put on mid wing or inner wing.

Tejas has truly come of age. Kudos to ADA.

Last edited:

mayfair

They (Napaki, Cheeni and Roosi) claim that RD-93 has substantially higher thrust and lower maintenance issues. Not sure about it's "smoking problem". But if it's just a change in gear box location as you said, it cannot account for any significant increase in thrust.

I wonder if their claims are just that- claims.

Rahul Singh

Country flag

Forgot to add earlier.

Earlier Tejas was capable of Drop Tanks inner boards and centreline only. Now they have made mid wing Drop Tank capable. So the old stated Ferry Range is bound to increase. This adds a great degree of flexibility to Tejas.

Maybe ADA is making Tejas a modern-day replacement for Mig-23 & 27 apart from being a Mig-21 replacement which it already is.

That's 3 of IAF types. Definitely not work of a 3 legged Cheetah.

Enquirer

They (Napaki, Cheeni and Roosi) claim that RD-93 has substantially higher thrust and lower maintenance issues. Not sure about it's "smoking problem". But if it's just a change in gear box location as you said, it cannot account for any significant increase in thrust.

That's all BS!
Russia (that owns the IPR) came up with the most advanced variant of RD-33 as RD-33MK (full FADEC) - which has only 7% higher thrust.
Is it even conceivable that someone took an existing engine and tweaked it more massively than the original designer???

Rahul Singh

Country flag

If they had solved 'smoke' problem. I don't think such a picture would have made out to the public. J-31 in any case newer than JF-17.

J-31

Mig-29 for comparison.

WolfPack86

Country flag
HAL eyes to increase production rate of LCA Tejas from 8 to 24 in three years

"We are very confident that Tejas Mark II will be a big leap forward to fulfil the single engine fighter requirement of the forces," Defense Minister Nirmala Sitharaman said Monday, adding the government was also considering export potential of the aircraft.
The HAL is investing Rs 1,300 crore (USD 199 million) to augment the existing infrastructure so that production of Tejas can be increased to 24 aircraft per year by 2021. (Defence World)
https://www.facebook.com/pg/TeamINDRA/photos/?ref=page_internal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles