DRDO, PSU and Private Defence Sector News

Smoothbore125mm

Country flag
What’s the status of MGS both 105mm and 155mm?haven’t heard much since the trials in Rajasthan.
Both are on docs in defence ministry

mgs would be inducted not sure if atags one or any other configuration either kalyani atags with beml truck or tata with their truck mounted 155mm atags

Gunner shot(ex-dg of artillary ) said many times that 155 mm would be inducted someday or the other but he refrain from commenting on the 105mm mgs since he said that if requirement arise they would induct it but personally i also dont see too much need of the garuda if you need air dropping ability get either the kalyani light 155mm or m777 they can even be transported by chinook and have much better range and fire power than the 105 garuda

while im really wanting IA to induct the marg-br its 4*4 with high transportability and smaller footprint too for mountainous regions only thin it lacks is air droping ability
@RDXChauhan

Mr.Evil007

Country flag
Both are on docs in defence ministry

mgs would be inducted not sure if atags one or any other configuration either kalyani atags with beml truck or tata with their truck mounted 155mm atags

Gunner shot(ex-dg of artillary ) said many times that 155 mm would be inducted someday or the other but he refrain from commenting on the 105mm mgs since he said that if requirement arise they would induct it but personally i also dont see too much need of the garuda if you need air dropping ability get either the kalyani light 155mm or m777 they can even be transported by chinook and have much better range and fire power than the 105 garuda

while im really wanting IA to induct the marg-br its 4*4 with high transportability and smaller footprint too for mountainous regions only thin it lacks is air droping ability
@RDXChauhan
Got it but if it’s a heavy mgs with 155mm shells to be fired is it really supposed to be airdropped?

Smoothbore125mm

Country flag
Got it but if it’s a heavy mgs with 155mm shells to be fired is it really supposed to be airdropped?
Nope and in reality no mgs is supposed to be dropped from air too but marg is 18 tonnes in weight and we already have tested a 20 tonnes capable parachute based air dropping system for c130 and c17 so if marg could be made air droppable it would be a big selling point for kalyani too

concept of mgs is to shoot and scoot and displace quickly for avoiding counter battery fire which is lethal for the fixed towed gunsbut the downsides are that mgs are 30 -50% more expensive than conventional towed guns so army prefers to have a lot of towed guns and less of mgs only mgs we have is k9 which is a tracked mgs which is better than wheeled versions because of mobility and all but then its even more expensive than the wheeled guns

Mr.Evil007

Country flag
Nope and in reality no mgs is supposed to be dropped from air too but marg is 18 tonnes in weight and we already have tested a 20 tonnes capable parachute based air dropping system for c130 and c17 so if marg could be made air droppable it would be a big selling point for kalyani too

concept of mgs is to shoot and scoot and displace quickly for avoiding counter battery fire which is lethal for the fixed towed gunsbut the downsides are that mgs are 30 -50% more expensive than conventional towed guns so army prefers to have a lot of towed guns and less of mgs only mgs we have is k9 which is a tracked mgs which is better than wheeled versions because of mobility and all but then its even more expensive than the wheeled guns
I think I’ll always have my bias towards mgs because of shoot and scoot firepower on move will be more lethal with less consequences from enemy counter but anyways army works on a entirely different logic also I think if we give them chance they will buy the Israeli one so no point of discussion anyways thanks

Blood+

Country flag
I think I’ll always have my bias towards mgs because of shoot and scoot firepower on move will be more lethal with less consequences from enemy counter but anyways army works on a entirely different logic also I think if we give them chance they will buy the Israeli one so no point of discussion anyways thanks
Dude, in this day and age of cheap FPV drones, you really think that's gonna make a difference, especially along the northern frontiers where there simply isn't much room to maneuver whatsoever??

Smoothbore125mm

Country flag
Dude, in this day and age of cheap FPV drones, you really think that's gonna make a difference, especially along the northern frontiers where there simply isn't much room to maneuver whatsoever??
fpv are very limited to range i don't think they can travel 20-40 odd kilometers to take out an artillery loitering munitions are a different ballgame though
btw thats why army only wants k9 at lac due to its crosscountry mobility because of being tracked i think beating either sides in himalayan region is a big big challenge for both the indian and the chink's armies only thing that could be game changer is cheap rockets and shells fired en-masse to destroy the counter fires and artillery locating radars would also play a big role (in which we are severely lacking even though having one of the best counter battery radars) hopefully arde or whoever private is making a long range rocket does it quickly enough

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles