Why Indian aircrafts have Italian flag painted on their tails ?

mikhail

Country flag
not to mention the "bulls eye" also on our IAF planes

they also are painted with non-indian , maybe italian or ( god forbid ) irish (?) mexican (?) looking colours ??
( tortilla air force ? heheheheheh ........ indeed WTH is going on ?)

next problem is does IAF sound lke italan air force , or irish or Israeli air force ??

so we should call it preferably by the sanskrit name from now on aryavarta vayu shakti ?
is that correct ? ...with initials AVS ....no longer IAF
Roma ji,the Indian Air Force is officially known as "Bharatiya Vayu Sena" in Devanagari script.but i do agree with you that it's high time for the I.A.F. to change it's official English name to Bharatiya Vayu Sena or B.V.S. just like the Turkish air force which is officially known as "Turk Hawa Kuvvetleri".just my 2 cents in this matter....:thumb:

kseeker

Retired
^^^
Not just Indian Air Force...

Indian Army - Bharatiya Thal Sena - भारतीय थलसेना - BTS

Indian Navy - Bharatiya Nausena - भारतीय नौसेना - BN or BNS

Indian Air Force - Bharatiya Vayu Sena - भारतीय वायु सेना - BVS

abingdonboy

Country flag
The fin flash and roundel are definitely relics of the British era.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Indian flag on the tails like the Turks:

Pakis:

Canadians:

etc

Although one thing I have noticed that I find quite interesting is that the IA's AAC seem to be switching over from having the traditional fin-flash (as the IAF/IN/IAF have) to the Indian tricolour on their a/c.

Traditional fin-flash:

tricolour:

Comments guys?

+ any connection with the Italian flag is pure BS and just seeing what you want to see.

ladder

Country flag

Look of Indian fin-flash on the 'other side' ( star-board or port) which is opposite ( mirror image ) of what @kseeker had posted in his opening post.

So, we can conclude that like fin- flash too work like a fabric flag.

Imagine looking at a flag, it will have a front side and a black side.
Now, the tail fin ( vertical stabilizer) is also assumed to a fabric would have a front and a back side.
A tail fin ( which is not neutral to lateral inversion) will look like it's mirror image when looking at from back side.
This is exactly the same for the (vertical) ( rotated Indian flag) fin flash.
One of the two ( port/ starboard) will be front ant the other back side. ( how and why the choose that side to be front?)

We now know the side ( L to R) tail to nose is front and the other side is ( L to R ) nose to Tail is back.

So, In this thread I have learnt not to comment, before looking at both sides of the coin.

P.S sorry for the late reply.

Sources of Images
http://asian-defence-news.blogspot.in/2012/12/indian-air-forces-first-upgraded-mig.html

http://ibnlive.in.com/photogallery/7591-12.html

Last edited by a moderator:

kseeker

Retired
^^^
@abingdonboy, BS or No BS, Left or Right fin flashes, do they even look like Indian flag ?

Don't know what IAF standard is however, the FIN Flash colors are certainly is ambiguous in nature, one could draw multiple conclusions or theories.

Instead of keeping the existing FIN FLASH, IAF needs to consider etching Indian flag without any alterations !!!

Just my opinion here.

Last edited by a moderator:

acetophenol

Country flag
Indian flag is Safron,White and Green.
Italian flag is Red,White and Green.
Sonia Gandhi is happy!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles