Why India Wins So Few Olympic Medals?

SADAKHUSH

Country flag
I just wonder when we on this forum can pinpoint the reasons for failure of our country men/women in the Olympics than why cant the Indian Olympic committee do the same. I have only read few of the posts and agree with Thakur Ritesh POV as well as solution proposed by Brigadier Ray. If we can produce best cricketers than we should be able to produce top class athletes as well. Our IOC should be turned on its head and GOI should demand the results.

SADAKHUSH

Country flag
why are there 194 posts here when there is a simple answer and one post will suffice ??

vegetarians cannot and will not win in any sport----thats the answer :tsk:
Why not select non vegetarian from early childhood and train them to compete against the best in the world. It is time we hire coaches overseas as China did for the swimming team. Let us stop making excuses and find the solution and establish milestones and achieve them. Any one standing in the way to sabotage any one be thrown out of IOC and sent to hard labour camps. If, I am PM the sports portfolio wil be under me and defence as well to clean up the bloody mess once for all.

Blackwater

Dont underestimate vegetarians

yaar u must admit vegi food can not give that strength to muscle as much as meat does

if u get time pls see TINTU LUKA 800 m semi final race.

she looks like and runs like as she has not eaten anything for past few days.

you can clearly see strength and power of other athlete running along with her

Last edited:

Ankit Purohit

Country flag
yaar u must admit vegi food can not give that strength to muscle as much as meat does

if u get time pls see TINTU LUKA 800 m semi final race.

she looks like and runs like as she has not eaten anything for past few days.

you can clearly see strength and power of other athlete running along with her
One of my Friend is in Indian army and he is Vegitarian..........and he told me that in army there are so many jawan and officer are vegitarian and they can survive in any difficult condition and give TAKKAR to Enemy,.......anyways its not
about veg and non veg its depend on your self confidence that i have to win medal for my country

Bus ek junnoooon chahida mitra

Jai HInd

Last edited:

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
debate between veg and non -veg will never ends

Great Khali and Triple H

The Great Khali is a vegetarian, 'nuff said.

Obviously, what you eat is important but after you get the required nutrients, it doesn't make a difference.
There must be great improvement in training and dedication to lift the Indian Olympic medal count from its current pathetic state.

Last edited:

Ankit Purohit

Country flag

Great Khali and Triple H

The Great Khali is a vegetarian, 'nuff said.

Obviously, what you eat is important but after you get the required nutrients, it doesn't make a difference.
There must be great improvement in training and dedication to lift the Indian Olympic medal count from its current pathetic state.
Thank You Razor

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
NOT A SPORTING NATION

This potent strength of a collective India has been relegated to obscurity by our political and administrative classes through sheer neglect. It is time for India to grow up, smell the coffee and honour the diverse legacies and strengths. As a start, the government must transform all cultural and sports bodies into public- private partnerships, which would constitute governing councils with representatives from all professional disciplines for a maximum of five years as serving members. These bodies must rotate those members, bringing in younger minds and fresh ideas, initiatives and alternatives.

Wherever one looks, the situation is the same — councils, committees and boards are packed with men and women desperate for sinecures. Therefore, no one wants to rock the boat, awaken sleepy institutions, or work to revamp them.................

It is time we set right these neglected areas. As an experiment, we need to get our corporate czars to sponsor at least one sportsperson with the potential to brighten India's chances of winning some silver and gold medals in the next Olympics. Why are we nowhere in such events as track and field, swimming, gymnastics, pole-vault, fencing, and so on? What stops the likes of Infosys, Wipro, the Tatas, the Ruias, the Ambanis, among a long list of other businessmen, from adopting one young sportsperson in each category?

Not a sporting nation

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
who said he is veggie???? he himself claimed on TV that he eats egg . He might also eat chicken when he goes to USA
Rana says he is a vegetarian and abhors alcohol and tobacco. He says he lives a "simple life" with his homemaker wife Harminder Kaur .
BBC NEWS | South Asia | Giant wrestler finds fame in India

Thank You Razor
:)
I'm not veggie, all I'm saying is that, the reason "being veggie" is the cause for India's lack of medals is certainly not valid.

Last edited:

SADAKHUSH

Country flag
NOT A SPORTING NATION

This potent strength of a collective India has been relegated to obscurity by our political and administrative classes through sheer neglect. It is time for India to grow up, smell the coffee and honour the diverse legacies and strengths. As a start, the government must transform all cultural and sports bodies into public- private partnerships, which would constitute governing councils with representatives from all professional disciplines for a maximum of five years as serving members. These bodies must rotate those members, bringing in younger minds and fresh ideas, initiatives and alternatives.

Wherever one looks, the situation is the same — councils, committees and boards are packed with men and women desperate for sinecures. Therefore, no one wants to rock the boat, awaken sleepy institutions, or work to revamp them.................

It is time we set right these neglected areas. As an experiment, we need to get our corporate czars to sponsor at least one sportsperson with the potential to brighten India's chances of winning some silver and gold medals in the next Olympics. Why are we nowhere in such events as track and field, swimming, gymnastics, pole-vault, fencing, and so on? What stops the likes of Infosys, Wipro, the Tatas, the Ruias, the Ambanis, among a long list of other businessmen, from adopting one young sportsperson in each category?

Not a sporting nation
A true and straight forward which will hit the officials between their legs. I hope they will do something and get motivated to clean up the house and start delivering the result.

SADAKHUSH

Country flag
When we were hockey nation, how was it possible than for us to produce players of the caliber who had won gold medal numerous times? Here we are turning the mismanagement and bad administration in vegetarian and non-vegetarian issue. We have resources and information in this Internet age but no will to put it into use that is the sole reason for poor performance. If we can hire coaches form other countries for cricket than we should do the same.

Let us ask the mobile companies to donate 1percent of their net profit for the Olympic team's. We can also start Army of volunteer as we do in the developed countries and stop the blame game. We as citizen's of this great nation should demand the result or else kick out the officials who does not deliver. Stop chamchagiri and chaplusi idiotic behaviour at every level of administration. Any one who does not comply with should be punished financially and demoted.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Indian cricket has got to where it is because of Dalmia and Modi. (not the CM, but that little Modi with a lsip!)

Turn over sports to them and see what happens.

They turned cricket on its head and now, others take the credit!

Like every single bigwig in this country, their ways may not always be that of Mahatma Gandhi!

lcatejas

The big reason are .. Kids want to go for DID, little champ, indian idle etc even there family support for it (Fame and money) but not sports which will be the pride for country...:basanti:

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
No comments ;)
----

Interviewed last week for a British radio program on childhood obesity—British children are on track for the gold medal for fatness—I happened to hear a Nigerian sports journalist who said that his fellow countrymen were furious that no Nigerian competitor won a medal at the Olympic Games. After all, he continued, Nigeria is the most populous country in Africa, with the largest financial resources; the government ought to spend more on sports facilities.

The interviewer very properly asked him whether the government might not have other priorities. It is certainly true that the first thought of any visitor to Nigeria wouldn't be: "This country desperately needs more world-class discus throwers."

The Nigerian journalist replied that there are always other priorities, for any activity at all. It depended on the importance you accorded to sports.

Precisely. And in this matter there is one shining beacon in the world: India. Its low tally of medals in the Olympic Games puts practically all other countries to shame. With a sixth of the world's population, it won only six medals, none of them gold—that is to say, it won fewer, pro rata, than half a percent of the medals won by Britain and 1.25% of those won by the U.S.

It is not that India tried and failed. It did not try, and therein lies its peculiar wisdom and glory. Almost alone of the nations of the world, it more or less ignored the Games. But it is India, whose government does nothing to encourage (or deter) its athletes, that is right, not the rest of the world.

There is a bimodal distribution of countries that are enthusiastic about winning Olympic medals: They are either populist or ideological. Britain, for example, falls into the former category.
Woe betide the British person who dares to suggest that his country's excellent performance at the Games wasn't a sign of national regeneration but of national frivolity and meretriciousness, to which its population and its leaders now turn as naturally as some flowers turn to the sun.

There are no prizes for guessing into which category falls North Korea, which did about a hundred times better at the Games than India. There is nothing a totalitarian regime likes more than devoting its citizens to pointless activities, such as throwing the javelin, and then claiming, when one of them does it better than anyone else in the world, that it proves the brilliance of the dictator and the beneficent efficiency of his rule. How else could such excellence result?

No typology of complex social realities can be perfect, though, and so it must be admitted that there are intermediate forms between the two types of countries. The U.S. and Britain could be said to be intermediate, insofar as some politicians used the Games as a photo opportunity. Other public figures pointed to the prowess of their country's athletes as evidence that success comes with effort and determination. But was there ever a time when we did not know that?

India alone values the Games at their true worth—which is to say, approaching nil. It is not that Indians are completely indifferent to sports. They are crazy about cricket, a game whose considerable subtleties are lost on all who did not grow up with it but which teaches mental flexibility as well as specific skills.

But no official encouragement is necessary to promote this enthusiasm. On every field of every Indian city, ragged children can be seen playing with improvised equipment, as richer children play with the latest kits. It is no coincidence that, economically, India now dominates this most English of games. India has taken over cricket as its companies have taken over British companies.

For reasons that I am unable to fathom, for no person is less interested in sports than I, the United Nations Development Program regularly sends me updates on its efforts to promote economic and social progress through athletics. India, I am glad to say, does not believe in this nonsense.

Last Wednesday, India celebrated the 65th anniversary of its independence, and officials announced that it would send a space probe to Mars. This is something quite beyond the technical powers or prowess of its former colonial masters—though they, of course, did far better at the Olympics. I hope India will maintain its ability to discriminate between the worthwhile and the worthless.

India's Olympic Achievement: Indifference - WSJ.com

KS

Bye bye DFI
I could not say if this was a serious article or a satire even after reading every line...:lol:

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Olympics doesn't mean shyt to Indians !

KS

Bye bye DFI
Ok lets actually think from that angle - what does sucess in Olympics give a nation ..in tangible or material returns ?

Global Defence

New threads

Articles