UK jets threaten to 'shoot down' Latvian cargo plane over attack fears

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Re: UK jets threaten to 'shoot down' Latvian cargo plane over attack f

@asianobserve :

Please respond to this also:

Could be a sloppy case of research or could be sensationalism. Personally, I think the latter is more likely. Anyway, I don't see it as a political effort by private Western media companies (except BBC) to tag Russia. Besides, trying to associate to the Russian government the act of a Latvian private company is futile. Everybody knows as in fact all the news articles cites the errant plane as Latvian (not Russian).

Last edited by a moderator:

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

Indeed!

It is because your knowledge and comprehension of the world and its machinations are very minuscule, if not nil.

You do not understand geoploitics, geostrategy, psychology, mindsets or phobias that haunt the nationalities because of their history, grooming and indoctrination.

If this is the best you can say, personal attacks, then never mind.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional

I don't think ISIS has the capability to fly airplanes into US/UK airspace, but the hysteria is understandable from a ISIS/Mujahid threat point of view.
But what amuses me is the Russia pointing as soon as anything happens, without any credible evidence.
Read this article for some background on "Russia pointing."

Nato jets track 'unusual' Russian bomber sorties - Telegraph

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

Director General of BBC resigns over erroneous news report
Director General of BBC resigns over erroneous news report.

BBC News uses 'Iraq photo to illustrate Syrian massacre'
BBC News uses 'Iraq photo to illustrate Syrian massacre' - Telegraph

They had even used an Iraq photo showing Indian Army in Kashmir!

Media around the world always directly or indirectly promotes the Govt/ national (desire) news and views.

At least BBC executives resign when they are caught lying. RT on the other hand has lying as its mission and apparently the more the executives and reporters lie (in favor of Putin and against the West) the more credible they are in the eyes of Putin.

apple

Director General of BBC resigns over erroneous news report
Director General of BBC resigns over erroneous news report.

Media around the world always directly or indirectly promotes the Govt/ national (desire) news and views.
You really should read the articles you quote before posting Ray.

Your article describes the BBC claiming, apparently erroneously, that a member of the party in Government was a sex criminal. Apart from naming him a corrupt Al-Qaeda sex-criminal that's about as bad an attempt to promote the Government as you can get.

To clarify Razor, I don't bother discussing BBC, or all sorts of subjects here.

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag

Actually Seems some unknown Russian Bombers activity near the Coast of Norway to Portugal. 4 Tu 95 Strategic bombers and 4 IL 76 Tanker where flown from Russian Barentz sea towards Portugal Coastal Area . Entire Europe Air force is in Full Alert to Scramble those Russian Party off the International Waters .

It's making head ache to everyone Unnecessarily Circling the Europe with Strategic Bombers

I sure The Pilot is bit angry Before Making his statement

@W.G.Ewald Sir Already Posted the Link about Russian Activity

I take the Flight Stats through here ..to Study Something more about the Bombers Circling through Europe

http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/military-aviation/47398-combat-aircraft-technology-evolution-13.html#post963395

Last edited by a moderator:

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag

Read this article for some background on "Russia pointing."

Nato jets track 'unusual' Russian bomber sorties - Telegraph
If you would see the opening post of this thread and then read it, you would notice that I had already mentioned this "unusual" activity of the Strategic bombers and also noted that none of the Strategic bombers violated NATO airspace (this is also mentioned in your own article which you linked.)

Next, these Western news agencies are supposed to be professional, supposed to run on facts and not run by raving Russophobes intent on misleading and forming unwanted hostility between peoples. Though I guess, this is the general character of most media agencies on the planet.

And finally, it is clear from the usage "russian made", "Russian jet" etc and scarcely a mention of Latvia (to which the plane belongs), that this is not a mistake rather deliberate.

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag

If you would see the opening post of this thread and then read it, you would notice that I had already mentioned this "unusual" activity of the Strategic bombers and also noted that none of the Strategic bombers violated NATO airspace (this is also mentioned in your own article which you linked.)
What is is the Intention of unusual Activity from the RuAF . Yes they never Violated the Borders or Sovereignty . But Strategic Bombers close to your International Borders should Makes sense to Countries

Next, these Western news agencies are supposed to be professional, supposed to run on facts and not run by raving Russophobes intent on misleading and forming unwanted hostility between peoples. Though I guess, this is the general character of most media agencies on the planet.
Both are same ..Russian Sponsored Media targets Western Countries same Western Sponsored Media targets Russia

And finally, it is clear from the usage "russian made", "Russian jet" etc and scarcely a mention of Latvia (to which the plane belongs), that this is not a mistake rather deliberate.
-----

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag

Razor misquoted (in bold) by W. G. Ewald said:
Next, these Indian forums are supposed to be professional, supposed to run on facts and not run by raving Russophiles intent on misleading and forming unwanted hostility between peoples.
:lol:
Forums are a place where people express opinions.
News agencies (especially ones like Govt. owned BBC) need to be disseminating facts not disinformation, unless it is an opinion piece.

Last edited:

apple

Actually Seems some unknown Russian Bombers activity near the Coast of Norway to Portugal. 4 Tu 95 Strategic bombers and 4 IL 76 Tanker where flown from Russian Barentz sea towards Portugal Coastal Area . Entire Europe Air force is in Full Alert to Scramble those Russian Party off the International Waters .

It's making head ache to everyone Unnecessarily Circling the Europe with Strategic Bombers
Is a long way from Russia to Portugal. Is a strange "co incidence" that the Portuguese Air Force is a presently tasked with the Baltic air policing mission.

Is a pity such a formerly great nation as Russia is being run by people with the mentality of a 13 year old boy fascinated with his own penis.

To be honest, I think it's a bit of a pity the Russians didn't infringe on British airspace. It's a very dangerous, pointless, game they are playing and think the, relatively few, Russian deaths that would result from one of their military planes getting shot down is, while not good, better than most scenarios that are going to result from Russia's present stupidity.

And Britain's sensible and quite used to being hated. They wont care about the petulant little, hissy fits the 13 years old in the Kremlin and on the internet, would have.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional

:lol:
Forums are a place where people express opinions.
News agencies (especially ones like Govt. owned BBC) need to be disseminating facts not disinformation, unless it is an opinion piece.
That's why RT is a staple on DFI, I guess. :rolleyes:

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag

That's why RT is a staple on DFI, I guess. :rolleyes:
I believe it was you who were telling people not to post inane one-liners.
----------------
Anyway, in this case, RT has posted the facts whereas BBC, Daily Fail et al have failed to do so.

Let me know of the instances when RT posts factually incorrect information and masquerades it as facts to the people.

Thanks.

pmaitra

I thought you like personal attacks.

Or you like it only when directed against those that do not agree with your, and your cohorts' codswallop?

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Your article describes the BBC claiming, apparently erroneously, that a member of the party in Government was a sex criminal. Apart from naming him a corrupt Al-Qaeda sex-criminal that's about as bad an attempt to promote the Government as you can get.

The issue is erroneous reporting and I add BBC's biases.

Here are some for your info that may be interest that supports my claim.

It maybe noted that though it is from Wikipedia, each issue is from an authorised source and it is so referenced.

Primark and child labour
In 2011, after three years of Primark's effort, the BBC acknowledged that its award-winning investigative journalism report of Indian child labour use by the retailing giant was a fake. BBC apologized to Primark, to Indian suppliers and all its viewers.[190][191][192]
Indophobia
In 2008, the BBC was criticised by some for referring to the men who carried out the November 2008 Mumbai attacks as "gunmen" rather than "terrorists".[105][106][107] This follows a steady stream of complaints from India that the BBC has an Indophobic bias that stems from a culturally ingrained racism against Indians arising from the British Raj.[citation needed] Rediff reporter Arindam Banerji has chronicled what he argues are numerous cases of Indophobic bias from the BBC regarding reportage, selection bias, misrepresentation, and fabrications.[citation needed]

In protest against the use of the word "gunmen" by the BBC, journalist Mobashar Jawed "M.J." Akbar refused to take part in an interview following the Mumbai terror attacks,[108] and criticised the BBC's reportage of the incident.[109] British parliamentarian Stephen Pound has supported these claims, referring to the BBC's whitewashing of the terror attacks as "the worst sort of mealy mouthed posturing. It is desperation to avoid causing offence which ultimately causes more offence to everyone."[110]

Writing for The Hindu Business Line, reporter Premen Addy criticises the BBC's reportage on South Asia as consistently anti-India and pro-Islamist,[111] and that they underreport India's economic and social achievements, as well as political and diplomatic efforts, and disproportionately highlight and exaggerate problems in the country. In addition, Addy alludes to discrimination against Indian anchors and reporters in favour of Pakistani and Bangladeshi ones who are hostile to India.

Writing for the 2008 edition of the peer-reviewed Historical Journal of Film, Radio and Television, Alasdair Pinkerton analyses the coverage of India by the BBC since India's independence from British rule in 1947 until 2008. Pinkerton observes a tumultuous history involving allegations of anti-India bias in the BBC's reportage, particularly during the cold war, and concludes that the BBC's coverage of South Asian geopolitics and economics shows a pervasive and hostile anti-India bias due to the BBC's alleged imperialist and neo-colonialist stance.[112]
Documentary on Euro 2012
Eleven days before the tournament took place, the BBC current affairs programme Panorama, entitled Euro 2012: Stadiums of Hate, included recent footage of supporters chanting various racist slogans and displays of white power symbols and banners in Poland, and Nazi salutes and the beating of South Asians in Ukraine.[151] The documentary was first commented widely in the British press, but then accused of being one-sided, biased and unethical. Critics included the British media; anti-racism campaigners, and black and Jewish community leaders in Poland; Polish and Ukrainian politicians and journalists; England fans visiting the host nations and footballers (Gary Lineker, Roy Hodgson and others).[152][153][154][155] Jonathan Ornstein, the leader of Jewish community in Kraków, a Jewish source used in the documentary said: "I am furious at the way the BBC has exploited me as a source. The organization used me and others to manipulate the serious subject of anti-Semitism for its own sensationalist agenda... the BBC knowingly cheated its own audience - the British people - by concocting a false horror story about Poland. In doing so, the BBC has spread fear, ignorance, prejudice and hatred. I am profoundly disturbed by this unethical form of journalism."[152]

A reporter from Gazeta Wyborcza, Poland's biggest left-wing newspaper, questioned Panorama's practices and said: "I am becoming more and more surprised with what the BBC says. So far it has denied two situations I witnessed. I would not be surprised if the BBC prepared a statement saying that the Panorama crew has never been to Poland."[153]

An anti-racism campaigner Jacek Purski said: "The material prepared by the BBC is one-sided. It does not show the whole story of Polish preparations for the Euros. It does not show the Championship ran a lot of activities aimed at combating racism in the "Respect Diversity" campaign. For us the Euro is not only about matches. The event has become an opportunity to fight effectively against racism and promote multiculturalism. There is no country in Europe free from racism. These are the facts."[156]

The Daily Mail reported that the Football Association intended to write a letter of complaint to the BBC.[157]

The nations fined by UEFA for racism were not the hosts but the visitors from Spain, Croatia, Russia[158] and Germany.[159] The Royal Dutch Football Association issued a complaint to UEFA after monkey chants were thought to be aimed at their black players, during an open training session in Kraków. UEFA denied the chants were racially motivated.[160]
Anti-Catholic bias
Prominent Roman Catholic leaders have criticised the BBC for having an anti-Catholic bias and showing hostility towards the Roman Catholic Church.[145][146]

The BBC has also been criticised for recycling old news and for "insensitivity" and bad timing when it decided to broadcast programmes called Kenyon Confronts and Sex and the Holy City around the same time as Pope John Paul II's 25th anniversary and the beatification of Mother Teresa.[147][148][149]

In 2003, the BBC had planned Popetown, a ten-part cartoon series which "featured an infantile Pope [...] bouncing around the Vatican on a pogostick". The plans were shelved after it evoked intense outrage and criticism from Roman Catholics.[150]
Anti-Hindu bias
Hindu groups in the United Kingdom have accused the BBC of anti-Hindu bigotry and whitewashing Islamist hate groups that demonise the British Indian minority[113]

In 2005, the Vivekananda Centre London and the Hindu Council(UK) reported an institutional anti Hindu bias and stated that "Anything that may show Hinduism in a poor light is immediately picked up by the BBC programme makers, while anything that may show Hinduism in a glorious light remains ignored by the BBC."[114]

In March 2012, the BBC referred to the Hindu festival of Holi as a "filthy festival". The Webster new world dictionary defines "filthy" as "full of filth, disgustingly foul; grossly obscene; morally vicious or corrupt". The BBC has since apologised for the offence caused.[115]
Arab Spring
The overly positive coverage by BBC of the Arab Spring was criticised both from within and outside of the corporation. In June 2012, the head of news Helen Boaden admitted that the coverage was "over-excited". She attributed this to reporters embedded with the rebels, who produced reports which are "too emotive" and "veering into opinion".[102]

In June 2012, the BBC admitted making "major errors" in its coverage of the unrest.[103] In an 89-page report, 9 pages were devoted to the BBC's coverage of Bahrain and included admissions that the BBC had "underplayed the sectarian aspect of the conflict" and "not adequately convey the viewpoint of supporters of the monarchy" by "[failing] to mention attempts by Crown Prince" Salman bin Hamad Al Khalifa to "establish dialogue with the opposition". The report added that "the government appears to have made a good-faith effort to de-escalate the crisis" in particular during a period when the BBC's coverage of the unrest dropped substantially and that many people had complained that their coverage was "utterly one-sided".[104]
Jeremy Bowen
In April 2009, the Editorial Standards Committee of the BBC Trust published a report on three complaints brought against two news items involving Jeremy Bowen, the Middle East Editor for BBC News.[95] The complaints included 24 allegations of inaccuracy or impartiality of which three were fully or partially upheld.[95][96][97] The BBC Trust's editorial standards committee found that Bowen's radio piece "had stated his professional view without qualification or explanation, and that the lack of precision in his language had rendered the statement inaccurate". They opined that the online article should have explained the existence of alternative views and that it breached the rules of impartiality. However, the report did not accuse Bowen of bias. The website article was amended and Bowen did not face any disciplinary measures.[98]
Israeli–Palestinian conflict
Criticism of the BBC's Middle East coverage from supporters of both Israel and Palestine led the BBC to commission an investigation and report from a senior broadcast journalist Malcolm Balen, referred to as the Balen Report and completed in 2004. The BBC's refusal to release the report under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 resulted in a long-running and ongoing legal case.[40][41] This led to speculation that the report was damning, as well as to accusations of hypocrisy, as the BBC frequently made use itself of Freedom of Information Act requests when researching news stories.[42]

After the Balen report, the BBC appointed a committee chosen by the Governors and referred to by the BBC as an "independent panel report" to write a report for publication which was completed in 2006. Chaired by the British Board of Film Classification president, Sir Quentin Thomas, the committee found that "apart from individual lapses, there was little to suggest deliberate or systematic bias" in the BBC's reporting of the middle east. However, their coverage had been "inconsistent," "not always providing a complete picture" and "misleading", and that the BBC failed to adequately report the hardships of Palestinians living under occupation.[42][43][44] Reflecting concerns from all sides of the conflict, the committee highlighted certain identifiable shortcomings and made four recommendations, including the provision of a stronger editorial "guiding hand".

Of the report's findings regarding the dearth of BBC reporting of the difficulties faced by the Palestinians, Richard Ingrams wrote in The Independent that "No sensible person could quarrel with that judgement."[45] Martin Walker, then the editor of United Press International, agreed that the report implied favouritism towards Israel, but said this suggestion "produced mocking guffaws in my newsroom" and went on to list a number of episodes of (in his view) clear pro-Palestinian bias on the part of the BBC.[46] Writing in Prospect Magazine, Conservative MP Michael Gove wrote that the report was neither independent nor objective.[47]

Former BBC Middle East correspondent Tim Llewellyn wrote in 2004 that the BBC's coverage allowed an Israeli view of the conflict to dominate, as demonstrated by research conducted by the Glasgow Media Group.[48]

In the course of their "Documentary Campaign 2000–2004," Trevor Asserson, Cassie Williams and Lee Kern of BBCWatch published a series of reports The BBC And The Middle East stating in their opinion that "the BBC consistently fails to adhere to its legal obligations to produce impartial and accurate reporting."[49]

Douglas Davis, the London correspondent of The Jerusalem Post, has accused the BBC of being anti-Israel. He wrote that the BBC's coverage of the Arab-Israeli conflict was a "portrayal of Israel as a demonic, criminal state and Israelis as brutal oppressors" and resembled a "campaign of vilification" that had de-legitimised the State of Israel.[50] "Anglicans for Israel", the pro-Israel pressure group, have berated the BBC for apparent anti-Israel bias.[51]

The Daily Telegraph has criticised the BBC for its coverage of the Middle East. In 2007, the newspaper wrote, "In its international and domestic news reporting, the corporation has consistently come across as naïve and partial, rather than sensitive and unbiased. Its reporting of Israel and Palestine, in particular, tends to underplay the hate-filled Islamist ideology that inspires Hamas and other factions, while never giving Israel the benefit of the doubt."[52]

In April 2004, Natan Sharansky who was then Israel's minister for diaspora affairs wrote to the BBC accusing its Middle East correspondent, Orla Guerin, as having a "deep-seated bias against Israel" following her description of the Israeli army's handling of the arrest of Hussam Abdu, who was captured with explosives strapped to his chest, as "cynical manipulation of a Palestinian youngster for propaganda purposes."[53]

In March 2006 a report about the Arab-Israeli conflict on the BBC's online service was criticised in a BBC Governors Report as unbalanced and creating a biased impression. The article's account of a 1967 United Nations resolution about the six-day war between Israel and a coalition of Egypt, Jordan and Syria suggested the UN called for Israel's unilateral withdrawal from territories seized during the six-day war, when in fact, it called for a negotiated "land for peace" settlement between Israel and "every state in the area". The committee considered that by selecting only references to Israel, the article had breached editorial standards on both accuracy and impartiality".[54]

On 7 March 2008, news anchor Geeta Guru-Murthy clarified significant errors in the BBC's coverage of the Mercaz HaRav massacre that had been exposed by media monitor Committee for Accuracy in Middle East Reporting in America. Correspondent Nick Miles had informed viewers that "hours after the attack, Israeli bulldozers destroyed his [the perpetrator's] family home." This was not the case and other broadcasters showed the east Jerusalem home to be intact and the family commemorating their son's actions.[55]

On 14 March 2008, the BBC accepted that in an article on their website of an IDF operation that stated "The Israeli air force said it was targeting a rocket firing team... UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has condemned Israel's attacks on Palestinian civilians, calling them inappropriate and disproportionate", they should have made reference to what [Ban] said about Palestinian rocket attacks as well as to the excessive use of force by Israel. The article was additionally amended to remove the reference of Israeli 'attacks on civilians' as Ban Ki-Moon's attributed comments were made weeks earlier to the UN Security Council, and not in reference to that particular attack, and in fact, he had never used such terminology.[55]

The BBC received intense criticism in January 2009 for its decision not to broadcast a television appeal by aid agencies on behalf of the people of Gaza during the 2008–2009 Israel–Gaza conflict, on the grounds that it could compromise the BBC's journalistic impartiality. A number of protesters asserted that this showed pro-Israeli bias, while some analysts suggested that the BBC's decision in this matter derived from its concern to avoid anti-Israeli bias as analysed in the Balen report.[56] Parties criticising the decision, included Church of England archbishops, British government ministers and even some BBC employees. More than 11,000 complaints were filed in a three-day span. The BBC's director general, Mark Thompson, explained that the corporation had a duty to cover the Gaza dispute in a "balanced, objective way," and was concerned about endorsing something that could "suggest the backing one side"[57]

Mohamed ElBaradei, head of the International Atomic Energy Agency, protested the BBC's decision by cancelling interviews scheduled with the company; ElBaradei claimed the refusal to air the aid appeal "violates the rules of basic human decency which are there to help vulnerable people irrespective of who is right or wrong."[58] The BBC's chief operating officer, Caroline Thomson, affirmed the need to broadcast "without affecting and impinging on the audience's perception of our impartiality" and that in this case, it was a "real issue."[59]

In response to perceived falsehoods and distortions in a BBC One's Panorama documentary entitled 'A Walk in the Park', transmitted in January 2010, British journalist Melanie Phillips penned an open letter in news magazine The Spectator to the Secretary of State for Culture, Jeremy Hunt, accusing the BBC of "flagrantly biased reporting of Israel" and urged the BBC to confront the "prejudice and inertia which are combining to turn its reporting on Israel into crude pro-Arab propaganda, and thus risk destroying the integrity of an institution."[60]

In March 2011, Member of Parliament Louise Bagshawe criticised the inaccuracies and omissions in BBC's coverage of the Itamar massacre and questioned the BBC's decision not to broadcast this incident on television and barely on radio, and its apparent bias against Israel.[61] In his July 2012 testimony to the Parliament, the outgoing Director-General of the BBC Mark Thompson admitted that BBC "got it wrong".[62]

A BBC Editorial Standards Findings issued in July 2011 found that a broadcast on Today on 27 September 2010 that stated ""At midnight last night, the moratorium on Israelis building new settlements in the West Bank came to an end. It had lasted for ten months", had breached the Accuracy guideline in respect of the requirement to present output "in clear, precise language", as in fact the moratorium on building new settlements had been in existence since the early 1990s and remained in place.[63]

In December 2011, the BBC caused further controversy after censoring the word 'Palestine' from a song played on BBC Radio 1Xtra.[64][65]

More controversy was caused in April 2012 when the BBC broadcast news of 2,500 Palestinian prisoners who were on hunger strike, with very little overall coverage.[66][67] This resulted in two protests outside the BBC buildings in Glasgow[68][unreliable source?] and in London.[69][unreliable source?]

During the 2012 Olympics, on their country profiles pages, the BBC listed "East Jerusalem" as the capital of Palestine, and did not list a capital at all for Israel. After public outrage and a letter from Israeli government spokesperson Mark Regev, the BBC listed a "Seat of Government" for Israel in Jerusalem, while adding that most foreign embassies "are in Tel Aviv". It made a parallel change to the listing for "Palestine", listing "East Jerusalem" as the "Intended seat of government".[70]

In a response to a reader's criticism on the issue, the BBC replied that the complaints that prompted the changes were "generated by online lobby activity."[71] The BBC was also noted for having no coverage whatsoever about the campaign[72][unreliable source?] for the IOC to commemorate the 11 killed Israeli athletes from the Munich massacre in the 1972 Summer Olympics, which was met with repeated refusal by IOC President Jacques Rogge, despite the issue receiving much press by other major news networks.[73][74]

According to the poll conducted by Jewish Policy Research on more than 4,000 respondents, nearly 80% of British Jews believes that BBC is biased against Israel. Only 14% of British Jews believes that BBC coverage of Israel is "balanced".[75]

In 2013, the BBC scheduled to broadcast a documentary film, Jerusalem: an Archaeological Mystery Story, but pulled the film "off the schedule at the last minute." The film "theorizes that many Jews did not leave Jerusalem after the destruction of the Temple, and that many modern-day Palestinians may be in part descended from those Jews."[76] Simon Plosker of HonestReporting believed that the decision was made not to offend people who are ideologically opposed to Israel by broadcasting a documentary about Jewish history in the region. The BBC's explanation for the sudden schedule change was that the film did not fit with the theme of the season, which was archeology.
Iraq and the Hutton Inquiry
The BBC was criticised for its coverage of the events before the invasion of Iraq, in 2003.[77] The controversy over what it described as the "sexing up" of the case for war in Iraq by the government, led to the BBC being heavily criticised by the Hutton Inquiry,[78] although this finding was much disputed by the British press, who branded it as a government whitewash.[79][80]

The BBC's chairman and director general both resigned following the inquiry, and its vice-chairman Lord Ryder made a public apology to the government – which the Liberal Democrat Norman Baker MP described as "of such capitulation that I wanted to throw up when I heard it".[81]
2006 Lebanon War

During the 2006 Lebanon War, Israeli diplomatic officials boycotted BBC news programmes, refused interviews, and excluded BBC reporters from briefings because Israeli officials believed the BBC's reporting was biased, stating "the reports we see give the impression that the BBC is working on behalf of Hezbollah instead of doing fair journalism."[82] Francesca Unsworth, head of BBC News gathering, defended the coverage in an article for Jewish News.com.[83]
The Balen Report
Main article: The Balen Report
The BBC is seeking to overturn a ruling by the Information Tribunal rejecting the BBC's refusal to release the Balen report to a member of the public under the Freedom of Information Act on the grounds that it was held for the purposes of journalism. The report examines BBC radio and television broadcasts covering the Arab-Israeli conflict and was compiled in 2004 by Malcolm Balen, a senior editorial adviser.

The Times reported in March 2007 that "critics of the BBC" were interested in knowing if the Balen Report "includes evidence of bias against Israel in news programming."[84][85] For examples, on 10 October 2006, the Daily Telegraph[86] claimed that "The BBC has spent thousands of pounds of licence payers' money trying to block the release of a report which is believed to be highly critical of its Middle East coverage. The corporation is mounting a landmark High Court action to prevent the release of The Balen Report under the Freedom of Information Act, despite the fact that BBC reporters often use the Act to pursue their journalism. The action will increase suspicions that the report, which is believed to run to 20,000 words, includes evidence of anti-Israeli bias in news programming."

It has been alleged that the corporation paid £200,000 for this legal action. The Daily Mail called the BBC's blocking a Freedom of Information Act request "shameful hypocrisy", in light of the corporation's previous extensive use of Freedom of Information Act requests in its journalism.[87]

On 27 April 2007 the High Court rejected Mr Steven Sugar's challenge to the Information Commissioner's decision. However, on 11 February 2009 the House of Lords (the UK's highest court) reinstated the Information Tribunal's decision to allow Sugar's appeal against the Information Commissioner's decision.

The BBC's press release following the High Court judgment included the following statement:

"The BBC's action in this case had nothing to do with the fact that the Balen report was about the Middle East – the same approach would have been taken whatever area of news output was covered."[88]

Sugar was reported after his success in the House of Lords as saying:

"It is sad that the BBC felt it necessary to spend hundreds of thousands of pounds of public money fighting for three years to try to load the system against those requesting information from it. I am very pleased that the House of Lords has ruled that such obvious unfairness is not the result of the Act."[89]
Criticism of the BBC - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

It is not a personal attack.

It is just to inform you that you are wasting bandwidth and time of others' with gut feelings of your and passing them off as the Gospel Truth, ignoring factually and linked information for variety of authorised and authentic sources, including the Western sources (that you so admire) and more importantly the CIA's.

Nothing personal.

Just facts.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

At least BBC executives resign when they are caught lying. RT on the other hand has lying as its mission and apparently the more the executives and reporters lie (in favor of Putin and against the West) the more credible they are in the eyes of Putin.
RT is no paragon of virtues. or are they?

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

(never mind)

apple

The issue is erroneous reporting and I add BBC's biases.

Here are some for your info that may be interest that supports my claim.

It maybe noted that though it is from Wikipedia, each issue is from an authorised source and it is so referenced.
Proverbs 16:18

Do you have anything relevant to add to the discussion, Ray? Or would you like to move the goalposts some more to try and save face?

P.S. Would like to add I feel a bit ashamed about hoping Russian service personnel get killed in my earlier post on this thread. That's not really something that needs to be expressed. But I do believe that a whole lot of Russians are about to get killed due to their irresponsible government and, in a vague defence of myself, would claim I was just hoping that it would only be a small number.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional

Proverbs 16:18

Do you have anything relevant to add to the discussion, Ray? Or would you like to move the goalposts some more to try and save face?

P.S. Would like to add I feel a bit ashamed about hoping Russian service personnel get killed in my earlier post on this thread. That's not really something that needs to be expressed. But I do believe that a whole lot of Russians are about to get killed due to their irresponsible government and, in a vague defence of myself, would claim I was just hoping that it would only be a small number.
Keep you supercilious condescensions under check.

Your claim that BBC is a paragon of virtues have been demolished.

Let's assist refreshing your memory.

That was just to indicate erroneous reporting, but then I gave you a whole set to indicate that you defend the indefensible out of a false impression that westerners are the sole repository of morals and fair reporting.

Here is your post

Pretty sure there has been no hijacking after 9/11.

I don't care what the Daily Mail publishes. Its readers, apparently, like stories demonising Russia. That's their business model. While personally I hope everyone who works for the Daily Mail catches Ebola/ AIDS, they can publish whatever they want. Good luck to them.

As to the BBC, I'm getting into any debates with someone in a tinfoil hat.
Now, having rubbished Daily Mail, you go on to write -As to the BBC, I'm getting into any debates with someone in a tinfoil hat. Now, what does that lead one to conclude? Does not require rocket science, does it?

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles