Toronto Hindus oppose Muslim prayers at school

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
TORONTO: Friday 'namaz' prayers at a school in the Toronto suburb of North York have angered Hindu advocacy groups here.

The noon-time prayers for 400 Muslim students of the Valley Park Middle School were introduced last November.

Angry Hindu advocacy groups want the 40-minute prayers, which are conducted by an 'imam' specially brought from a mosque, to be stopped immediately.

The local Canadian Hindu Advocacy, led by Ron Banerjee, is roping in various Hindu organizations to hold protests outside the school to pressure management to stop the Friday prayers. "This is alarming and unacceptable. We respect the separation of church and state," Banerjee said in interviews to the media.

"There's not supposed to be any religious classes taking place in public schools. We will be asking the board to stop the practice," according to Banerjee.

He said his group is writing letters to the Toronto District School Board (TDSB) to intervene to stop the practice being allowed by the school management.

The school has the responsibility for ensuring secular education for students, the Hindu advocacy leader added.

Banerjee said upset parents of Hindu students at the Valley Park Middle School had brought this practice to their notice.

He said Hindu groups will also raise objections to "the serving of 'halal' meat within TDSB schools. Our organization is determined to ensure all Hindu students are provided non-'halal' meat alternatives."

Muslims, Sikhs and Hindus are the biggest non-white communities of the Toronto area.

Content copyrights reserved

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Where ever there are these wise people called the VERY Religious, they will fight. Wisdom for them is following a book and not your common sense.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Ron Banerjee is a wacko...ask any canadian residents.

Apart from that religion should have no part in school.

sanjay

Ron Banerjee is a wacko...ask any canadian residents.

Apart from that religion should have no part in school.
I live in Toronto, I'm not a wacko, I'm an atheist.

Take a look at statements from groups like this:

Media Advisory: National Secularist Org Joins Opposition to Muslim Prayers in Public Schools

Religion should not be brought into schools. Why are some Muslims feeling offended at not being given what none of the other religious groups are being given?

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
I live in Toronto, I'm not a wacko, I'm an atheist.

Take a look at statements from groups like this:

Media Advisory: National Secularist Org Joins Opposition to Muslim Prayers in Public Schools

Religion should not be brought into schools. Why are some Muslims feeling offended at not being given what none of the other religious groups are being given?
Even sikh groups were offended when they weren't allowed to take a blunted kirpan to school. But we don't remember or publicize loonies of other religions shouting loudly do we?

Now read the 2nd statement of my original post and see if im advocating religious bollocks ?

sanjay

Even sikh groups were offended when they weren't allowed to take a blunted kirpan to school. But we don't remember or publicize loonies of other religions shouting loudly do we?

Now read the 2nd statement of my original post and see if im advocating religious bollocks ?
Kirpan is likewise a legitimate public safety issue. What if a guy's religion tells him to carry a gun? Will you allow that too?

Religions are shaped by the arbitrary forces of history. Therefore they can contain just about any practice, which the adherents may like, but which may be intolerable to others. What if my religion requires me to sacrifice a virgin to a volcano once a year?

There has never been any "Religion Fairy" flitting around the world all these years, making sure that all religions evolved a certain way, or making sure they were all balanced with respect to one another.

Canadian laws are based on the country's constitution, with deference to the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. It may be possible to make accommodations to individuals, but not to entire religious or ethnic collectives - the very idea is ridiculous.

Meanwhile, India has these pathetic Islamic Courts, in complete contravention to secular principles of separation between Church and State - how disgusting. Do you see any Hindu, or Sikh, Buddhist, atheist, or Christian Courts in Pakistan, Bangla or Saudi? Do you think they'll tolerate them even for a second?

That's one of the problems I have with Islam - as soon as they build up enough population presence anywhere, they automatically join hands try to re-write the laws to favour themselves. This will only force the non-Muslims to similarly consolidate together in defense of secular freedoms. The problem is that the predatory, unscrupulous, opportunistic Left will try to insert itself on the side of those whom it can count upon as vote banks (and you know which way that always tilts).

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
islamic courts in India ? loony mullahs can only issue fatwas and before you pounce on that like a hungry tiger let me also tell you that fatwas are mere opinions of anyone issuing it and not mandatory on any muslims according to islam itself.

the courts in India have laws for all religions.

One doesn't need to have a superior intellect to understand that kirpan could become a deadly weapon if need be and needs to be banned as it has already been.

You have yet not read my second statement in my original post :doh: as a result of which you don't know that im in full agreement that religion should have no place in school. And since you're an atheist you should have a problem with all religions rather than be selective.

All the countries you have listed are morally inferior so why even compare oneself to them ??? just because they suppress there minorities doesn't mean we should do the same. There's a reason why India is better than them...........

Last edited:

sanjay

Clearly, I'm not being selective. Clearly I have stood up for separation of Church and State in general, but it's hard to ignore the statistical fact that most confrontations between Church and State are occurring between Muslims challenging secular laws created by non-Muslims, with the Left trying to play the role of dishonest broker, due to political machiavellian motives.

The fact that so many who are challenging separation of Mosque and State are arrivals from India, shows the absolute failure of Indians to promote secularism. If they did, then this problem would not be getting exported here to Canada. Clearly, the standards practiced in India on separation of Church and State are quite lacking and badly in need of reform.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
According to canada's own laws they have a right to voice there dissent so they're practicing it :) Plus i dont care what happens in canada.

Muslims in India are governed by the muslim law, hindus are governed by hindu law and rest of the religions likewise. Most of these religious laws only cover marriage, inheritance and the things that are associated with them like divorces etc. Other than that the laws set by the constitution are followed by all Indian citizens.

People in India have got more freedom than the west in a way. India is an unique entity and western policies should be limited to errm western countries.

sanjay

As we can see by the ramshackle quality of Indian society and especially Indian politicis, India is a broken country in need of fixing, and currently is not an example to be emulated. There is no such thing as Christian vs Jewish vs Hindu vs Muslim law in the developed countries, and for good reason. That India allows it gives ample proof that it is an under-developed country.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
And developed countries are developed because of this reason ? thats laughable.

Kindly stay in canada if India is such a pathetic country. India isn't a puppet that it will copy everything that so called developed countries do. India will do whats best for it right now.

Tronic

Kirpan is likewise a legitimate public safety issue. What if a guy's religion tells him to carry a gun? Will you allow that too?
You are from Toronto, so pray tell me how many sikh students with kirpans ever made the news for the wrong reasons? I live in Thunderbay but do come to Toronto for job and all, and even I am well aware of Punjabi students (not wearing turbans or carrying Kirpans) to storm schools wielding Kirpans when fights break out. Or even using kaddas in fights as a form of brass knucles. Religious students carrying kirpans were never an issue, as whoever wanted to use Kirpans will bring one the day of and use it anyways; and they are used in that way.

Tronic

As for the news article, totally ridiculous and made to provoke and raise a confrontationist stand between Hindu and Muslim communities. Very shoddy and irresponsible reporting by Times of India.

Also as a FYI, The Muslim Canadian Congress, is one of the groups who is opposing this move and protesting against the school for not keeping religion and school separate and mixing the two.

sanjay

You are from Toronto, so pray tell me how many sikh students with kirpans ever made the news for the wrong reasons? I live in Thunderbay but do come to Toronto for job and all, and even I am well aware of Punjabi students (not wearing turbans or carrying Kirpans) to storm schools wielding Kirpans when fights break out. Or even using kaddas in fights as a form of brass knucles. Religious students carrying kirpans were never an issue, as whoever wanted to use Kirpans will bring one the day of and use it anyways; and they are used in that way.
That's not an adequate argument - are you going to wait for the first bad incident? It's been pointed out that even a 3rd party can grab the kirpan of a Sikh student to threaten others with it. The debate over separation of Church and State did not suddenly start with the arrival of Indians in Canada. Public safety requires personal sacrifices and we all have to make accommodations for it on practical grounds.

And developed countries are developed because of this reason ? thats laughable.

Kindly stay in canada if India is such a pathetic country. India isn't a puppet that it will copy everything that so called developed countries do. India will do whats best for it right now.
Heh, spare me your pretentious indignation and false air of superiority - this is the kind of fake nationalism that the Kaangress Party likes to parade, when they're not bashing other Indians for genuine nationalism.
There are some principles which are universal - there are universal standards on human rights and absolute definitions on what secularism is.
The fact that so many coming from India are clashing with basic accepted tenets like separation of Church and State and other civilized norms, attests to the extent to which corrupt Indian politicians have eroded and distorted basic fundamental values, by making any unlimited compromises.

Fortunately, there are more people like me who will unhesitatingly stand up for civilized values than there are people like you who will defend India's corrupt political antics, bristling at any constructive criticism by labeling 'anti-Indian'.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles