Tiger or Lion- who is the king of beast?

Who do you think is the King of Beasts?

• Tiger

Votes: 45 69.2%
  • Lion

Votes: 20 30.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabir

DFI TEAM
A long dispute but no clear answer. Perhaps the Romans knew it as they might have seen these two beasts fighting for the crown in large colosseum. But their records do not mention the result. Today, there is no place on earth which is a common natural habitat for both of them. You can not find tigers in Africa. Similarly there is no lion in Asia other than Gir Sanctuary. And Gir is not a tiger habitation. Can it possible to analyze their fighting capability and reach to a conclusion? Let us give a try.

You can not say convincingly who is larger in size because size of a full grown tiger or lion varies from place to place. A full grown African lion can be larger than a average tiger in South India. But the monsters from Kaziranga or Nepal or Kumaun are good match. I am not saying all tigers in south India are smaller but the larger specimen is more common in foothills of Himalayas. Do not bring the Amur tigers to sweat here in hot climate. They are simply too large for our purpose.

The basic characteristics of these beasts give good idea about their fighting skills. Lions are social animal. They hunt together but the boss of the pride rarely takes part in it. Food is total a ladies department and The King prefers to rest under a shady tree pointing his massive paws towards the heaven. On the other hand a tiger has to struggle for his food constantly. Put fighting skill aside, a tiger is definitely the finest killing machine nature has ever built. Jumping over a victim, a vicious bite at the joint of neck and spinal cord then jumping aside to bring his full body weight as well as that of the victim in play and twisting of the victim's neck like a twig. Surgical. So you conclude that a lazy lion has no chance against an agile tiger. Wait, it is just half of the story.

Lions do hunt. Every one of them has to do so for certain period of time when they are ousted from their pride. Threat for a lion family is from invading nomads. If the dominant male is old or weak to take on the nomad lions he is either drove away or gets killed in the process of defending the pride. When one or more nomads take(s) over a pride first thing they do is to kill the male offspring of the previous ruler. But some of the kids are bound to be aged enough (and sensible too) to smell the danger and run away. That is the starting of nomad life of these young lions. Then they have to fight for their life themselves till they become full grown and capture a pride eventually. Sometimes two or more young lions join together. This type of bond generally continues till end. Every lions have to lead this nomadic life. They have to hunt for themselves. Actually this system brings variability in their genes. Else they would have to face the danger of inbreeding.

Now give a look to their preys. Zebra, wildebeest, buffalos are the favourite items in lion's menu. Occasionally, they hunt a giraffe or a baby elephant. In India tiger's prey are deer, pigs, buffalos (wild as well as domestic), bison, gaurs etc. But we can say without iota of doubt that tigers are more capable of bringing down larger animal single-handedly. They can do the job more neatly than a whole lion pride without much violence. Indian gaurs are the largest bovine species; a full-grown male can weigh twice that of a cape buffalo. Now, tigers do not face much problem in breaking the neck of such an opponent. The forest authority of Kaziranga is worried about a new habit of the tigers there. The tigers are attacking full grown rhinos and devouring them. Tigers are known to hunt crocodile; they can eliminate leopard population just by devouring them.

It is said lions are more aggressive in nature. Once they press home the attack there is no turn back from it. On the other hand tigers are more calculative. They know the meaning of getting injured in a solitary life. So they can run away from the fight if it is not that important. But still you can not say anything conclusively. There are tigers more aggressive than others. Jim Corbett has mentioned once about an enraged tiger who had wiped out a full herd of five buffalos because these buffalos dared to charge him en mass when the first one of them got killed. Very recently an irritating tusker in a north-Indian tiger reserve got killed by a tiger. Of course the tiger did not stock the elephant for food. It must have started due to ego clash when they crossed each-other's path. I do not know any instance when a lion gets involved in such dare devil affairs alone.

Many people wrongly believe that lions mane can give protection to his throat incase of such imaginary fight with a tiger. But they hardly go for throat while fighting someone of their own species. Simply because it is too difficult to go for throat avoiding the fast sweeping paws of the opponent. Both the animals use their paws extensively and vicious bites in any other part or legs. I should say lion's mane would be a hindrance in such fight by restricting his visibility while turning. Some experts say that lions prefer to use one paw at a time during a fight keeping three feet firm on ground. Tigers stand on their hind legs and use both paws against the opponent. However, it is difficult to say it is always the case.

A tiger certainly is more agile than a lion. It has to hunt alone and that is regularly. It has to fight with other tigers for territory or for a mating partner. A lion has to fight to capture a pride or to defend one. First one simply does more exercise. But there is chance that a tiger may run away from such a battle if he finds it is not worth risking some injury. But if he continues to fight- I am sure the King of beats has to let go his crown.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Tigers are majestic. I just love them. Lions with their manes look imposing, but my vote goes to the Tiger for just being so majestic.

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
Lions have one benefit "manes" , and cats attacks mainly on neck so Lion can win the war i guess. Perhaps Tigers are taller than lions as per my encyclopedia.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
A Chauhan, the mane theory has been answered in the last para of the article.

My Vote is for the Lion, I dont know why, maybe its the loyalty syndrome. I grew up hearing Lion is the King, and ofcourse theres lion king.

bhramos

Country flag
lions doest bath and smells kms from its hide out.
Tiger eats its own babies......
both are barbarians. but their is another king.
Lion + Tiger = Liger.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sabir

DFI TEAM
Asiatic lions were available in north and central India. But they lost the territory to tigers...

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
barring the looks none really, the other day saw a documentary on discovery on how tough a life the lions lead in africa, the poor them didnt really sound like the kings in anyway, where they might have to go hungry for days or when elephants and rhinos around the lions would be seen looking for a safe hideout!

if its about looks, not the slightest of the doubts, its got to be the lions.

Last edited:

RAM

The southern Man
Country flag
The Ultimate Killer

Sabir

DFI TEAM
No..we are discussing who will win if the have to fight for the title...

bhramos

Country flag
Liger on National Geographic Ultimate Cat

pankaj nema

Country flag
In any fight between two heavy animals , speed and stamina will count a lot. Male lions are strong BUT lazy . The female lions of the pack chase the big prey like wild buffaloes and surround it .Male lion comes in only to kill the animal.

A tiger which is much stronger , and swifter than any of the other animals that lions kill , will not be subdued easily at all by a lion.

A tiger has far more hunting , chasing and killing experience because it is a solitary kill totally on its own.

So even if a lion is heavier a tiger will prevail.

ahmedsid

Top Gun
In any fight between two heavy animals , speed and stamina will count a lot. Male lions are strong BUT lazy . The female lions of the pack chase the big prey like wild buffaloes and surround it .Male lion comes in only to kill the animal.

A tiger which is much stronger , and swifter than any of the other animals that lions kill , will not be subdued easily at all by a lion.

A tiger has far more hunting , chasing and killing experience because it is a solitary kill totally on its own.

So even if a lion is heavier a tiger will prevail.
Lions mostly fight with Lions. A Male Lion is always on the defensive protecting his pride. So the theory that Lions are Lazy and dont fight much doesnt count because, Tigers usually hunt animals which are not as agrressive as itself. I mean, how can a Zebra fight back, than kicking? If its a Running Race we are talking of, the Tiger might Win, but If its a Fight, The Lion will have an upper hand, because Lions fight with Lions, and if we take that logic in, Tigers usually whisk away from confrontations with other tigers.

Sabir

DFI TEAM
Totally wrong.

There is no wild tiger in the world who has seen a Zebra:happy_2:

Tigers regularly fight with each other over territory. These fights are very common and often left one dead or crippled .

Tigers have to fight others specially during mating season.

And do not forget tiger's ability to bring down large prey like Indian Gaur single handedly . I bet a lion wd piss in pant seeing a full grown gaur face to face...forget about hunting. See yourself :happy_2:

Last edited:

ahmedsid

Top Gun
Lions would fcuk Tigers any day and hence Ligers hehehe! And about Zebras, I meant preys of similar size, not exactly Zebras heheh

Lions also have to fight the same way you mentioned. Its not a park out there :p BTW Lets agree that the outcome wil depend on individual capablities

(I regret creating the Fake ID!!! )

Sabir

DFI TEAM
Ha...tigers have driven them out from their old habitation in central and north India...(though they live in groups)...........Ek jungle me do raja nehi rah sakta....so the lions ran away.........

Last edited:

pankaj nema

Country flag
Just as lions fight with each other , so do tigers fight each other for territory. Both are territorial animals and fights for territory and females are common.

Now the question is just because the lions kill more zebras and tigers prefer more deer , that does nt make lions stronger. Tigers also kill buffaloes.

Because every chase does nt result in a kill so the tigers prefer the deer

Tigers are more ferocious and ruthless and kill just in anger .Lions kill only when they are HUNGRY

Lions are lazy bums ,therefore a pack of hyneas takes away the kill made by the lions
No pack of wolves in India ( bcos there are No hyneas here )or else where has ever dared to take a tigers kill

Lionesses of the pack hunt and kill for the entire pack .So they prefer zebras, wilder beasts so that every body gets a bite.

The lion when it is on its OWN after loosing its pack to a new challenger, LOOSES its health and strength quickly and dies soon. Therefore its staying power is less .Tigers are always on their own till they die

BTW Asian lions in India were decimated by the tigers until Gir Forest came up

Sabir

DFI TEAM
an old video but worth watching hundred times...

Agantrope

Lions always be living in a group or clan whereas the tiger lives lone warrior. Lion is the symbol of the administrator whereas the tiger is known for its sheer brute power and the assailant.

Serbian Tiger's roar will audible till 3-4Kms. If you have any more doubts see my avatar, Royal White Bengal Tiger Cub, Vellai Puli Kutty :angry_1:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles