The Chinese discuss 'rented' Indian women

Iamanidiot

HT Home / Blogs Home > Middle Order / China / The Chinese discuss 'rented' Indian women
The Chinese discuss 'rented' Indian women

Last week, China's official news agency Xinhua released a curious set of 10 photographs of Indian models and gave it a sweeping title. 'Despite beauty, many Indian women find it difficult to get married'.

"Dowry, the payment by the bride's family to the bridegroom's family, has been a social practice in India for a long time. The groom often demands a dowry consisting of a large sum of money, farm animals, furniture, and electronics, which results in the fact that many women in India have difficulties to get married," the caption declared.

And last month, a separate Chinese posting has uploaded pictures of Indian women on the popular website ifeng with the title 'men like to rent a wife' and an introductory paragraph bizarrely stating that Indian women, whether rich or superstars, cannot escape a feudal marriage. The website claims, among other things, that poor Indian men rent out their wives, and all Indian women have a low status in society. On Sunday, the post had attracted 1,392 comments that sparked strong comparisons with Chinese society where 24 million men will be forced bachelors by 2020 because of a sex ratio skewed by over three decades of the one-child policy and a traditional preference for sons.

The Chinese investigative magazine Caixin recently exposed the story of missing children in Hunan province, who were snatched from the arms of parents by overbearing local family planning officials who then allegedly put the children up for adoption.

India, with 940 women per 1,000 men — compared to about 840 women per 1,000 men in China — is also grappling with the predominant preference for male heirs. The trend is changing in the modern layers of contemporary Indian society, but you may not read about it in the state media in China which routinely reports India as a chaotic, backward exotica.

A translation of the latest comments on ifeng:

Indian women come to China. Many Chinese men can't find wives. If you come to China you will give birth to a beautiful superstar _ Wan Mei Zhu Zi from Guangdong

Indian girls are so beautiful! It's good to find an Indian wife _ Yzxd

A netizen compares the tradition of arranged marriage with foot binding in ancient China. "Girls had very big feet. They would feel ashamed when they came out, and people on the streets would laugh at them. So they were not forced (to bind feet) it's just a custom. Even today girls feel awkward if they have big feet. If you don't believe, ask your mother if she wants to have big feet _ ibf8799

These things happen in China too. They don't want girls in villages. Girls can't get any guarantee in society. Women university students find it hard to get jobs. Many companies don't want to hire girls. Is it better than India? I don't think so _ Mmmzzz

India is rubbish _ Xie84643839

Is China better than India? Women in India even have the right to vote. Many websites just say that there are many uncivilised things about India. But actually in the past in China, many family members shared one pair of trousers and brothers shared one wife. I hope you can just look inside yourself before you look down on others _ Yiexing xizang

The social status of women in China has not improved. Women in China are just like commodities _ Shitouwan.

If the dark side of India is true, it is really a shame on mankind – Yooyeh

I've been to India for a couple of days. The country is very rich. The people are very poor. The women are so cheap you can buy girls. In China we have marriage laws but in India men can have three or four wives _ Zhexue Jiang

Don't talk about India. The situation in China is not better – Hanguo

I want to rent a wife – Baizhan Yigong
[http://blogs.hindustantimes.com/middle-order/2011/08/08/the-chinese-discuss-%E2%80%98rented%E2%80%99-indian-women/

See the photos in this link they look dubiously similar to those posted in DFI

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/photo/2011-08/03/c_131027593.htm

Last edited:

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
Last time I knew Chinese women are selling themselves to older men and taking up Christian names as well..... this is more popularily known as Mail Order Bride and not to mention one child policy and forcing a girl to have small feet through small shoe pain.

What a CHEAP publicity these chinese sites are asking for.

In Taiwan, mail-order brides come primarily from Mainland China and Southeast Asia.Brides from Mainland China are known colloquially as dalu mei meaning "little sister from the mainland".

South Korea and Japan also have accepted a large number of foreign brides; in South Korea, many brides are Chinese (the largest group)

Only few examples to start with... :tsk:

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
:laugh: Those women don't have problems getting married. The first Westerner to see them will bite and pay off their parents.

rock127

Maulana Rockullah
Country flag
:laugh: Those women don't have problems getting married. The first Westerner to see them will bite and pay off their parents.
But how can this be understood by Chinese media which made up this news.... so much of chinese IQ. :taunt:

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
Singh its so difficult to search previous post but i know i have discussion with OeO in that same thread after posting the pictures, i mean the first photo in that low life Chinese blog is Russian.

Iamanidiot

Something tells me that the forum is underwatch by Chinese authorities and our chinese posters are not individuals who post on their free will

nimo_cn

Country flag
Hit&run is right, the first picture has been posted once on this forum before, i can testify that for hit&run. But let us not deny the dowry issue raised by Xinhua just because they didn't posted the right pictures.

All of you have seen the Bollywood movie "3 Idiots", haven't you? So have I.

If my memory serves me correctly, the sister of one of the three "idiots" failed to get married because his family can't pay the dowry, I believe that in some way could testify that Xinhua may not be making all the things up.
I

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
Hit&run is right, the first picture has been posted once on this forum before, i can testify that for hit&run. But let us not deny the dowry issue raised by Xinhua just because they didn't posted the right pictures.

All of you have seen the Bollywood movie "3 Idiots", haven't you? So have I.

If my memory serves me correctly, the sister of one of the three "idiots" failed to get married because his family can't pay the dowry, I believe that in some way could testify that Xinhua may not be making all the things up.
I
Nimo,
I think you are entering forbidden land.

ice berg

What is the big deal? Both India and China got the same problem.

niharjhatn

If my memory serves me correctly, the sister of one of the three "idiots" failed to get married because his family can't pay the dowry, I believe that in some way could testify that Xinhua may not be making all the things up.I
Oh no it is not made up. Unfortunately, despite the fact you can be sent to jail for demanding dowry, it still happens... especially when the women are not 'desirable' i.e. not attractive (physically or otherwise) nor of high educational level...

Whilst this is the dark side of arranged marriage, I daresay it is better than the 51% divorce rates experienced in the US... that figure just scared the s*** out of me... I mean, you meet someone you "love" (whatever that means :p), and you can virtually flip a coin to determine if you are going to stay together or not..:frusty:

edit...
However, unlike as suggested in the article, girls that pretty will NOT have to worry about dowry. In fact I'd give my left arm for one of them. I'm serious.

Country flag
All over the world in any major city who are men getting "massages" from??

amoy

who pays whom dowry? I dont hv a good command of English... the word dowry in particular

In most parts of China mostly males offer females a 'dowry'. nowadays a token amount, like 333 or 3300 as we deem 3 a good number here. but uniquely somewhere in Fujian (Hokkien) females' family give males

ice berg

who pays whom dowry? I dont hv a good command of English... the word dowry in particular

In most parts of China mostly males offer females a 'dowry'. nowadays a token amount, like 333 or 3300 as we deem 3 a good number here. but uniquely somewhere in Fujian (Hokkien) females' family give males
It depends on how you define a "dowry". If you live in a big city like Shanghai or Beijing, rest assured that most girls expect you to have an apartment before marriage. It is not that different really. At least in this area there is a common ground between India and China,. 8)

Global Defence

New threads

Articles