Subho Mahalaya to all DFIans

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
Any bengalis can tell why its also called Akaal Bodhan ?
The Akal Bodhon is related to Shri Ram's puja of Godess Durga before he started his campaign against Ravana. He wanted to invoke Maa Durga- the godess Shakti, and for that he arranged a puja. But it was not the dates or logno for Maa Durga's puja at that time. So he needed the most pious Brahmin to perform the avahon- invocation, and that is why he asked Ravana to perform the puja. Since the Puja was performed out of time, i.e. akaal, for invocation, i.e. bodhon of Devi Shakti, it is called akal bodhon. At this puja Devi Shakti appeared in form of Devi Durga.

pmaitra

Shubha Mahalaya to everyone!

Time for buffalo sacrifice followed by buffalo beef eating in true Hindu style. :biggrin2:

Durga Mata ki jai!

DingDong

Country flag
The Akal Bodhon is related to Shri Ram's puja of Godess Durga before he started his campaign against Ravana. He wanted to invoke Maa Durga- the godess Shakti, and for that he arranged a puja. But it was not the dates or logno for Maa Durga's puja at that time. So he needed the most pious Brahmin to perform the avahon- invocation, and that is why he asked Ravana to perform the puja. Since the Puja was performed out of time, i.e. akaal, for invocation, i.e. bodhon of Devi Shakti, it is called akal bodhon. At this puja Devi Shakti appeared in form of Devi Durga.
So Ravana performed a pooja which invited his own doom! Mythology is complicated.

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
So Ravana performed a pooja which invited his own doom! Mythology is complicated.
Ravana, as a true brahmin, did not deem it fit to deny performing puja of Devi Shakti. If one goes through Ramayana thoroughly and actually tries to understand the characters, Ravana would not look so bad as the general perception is. Actually, if you are cynical enough, you would actually find Ramayana to be story whre barbarians destroyed a very advanced civilization.

Michael Madhusudan Dutta wrote Meghnad Badh Kavya where Meghnad was the protaganist. It is a fascinating read.

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
Subho Mahalaya! I feel like road-party everywhere during Navratri :)

Yumdoot

Shubha Mahalaya to everyone!

Time for buffalo sacrifice followed by buffalo beef eating in true Hindu style. :biggrin2:

Durga Mata ki jai!
Yeh right. All the Hindus celebrate Durga Puja because they want to eat buffalo beef in true Hindu style :crazy:

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
Yeh right. All the Hindus celebrate Durga Puja because they want to eat buffalo beef in true Hindu style :crazy:
You did not get what pmaitra sir said. Actually there is indeed a custom in some temples of Bengal where a buffalo is sacrificed for ceremonial purposes. In fact Durga is called Mahisasuramardini. She killed the demon lord who had assumed the form of a buffalo. This is represented through the sacrifice.

Also you probably do not know that Maithili Brahmins(Bhattacharjee,Banerjee,Maitra,Chatterjee,Mukherjee,Lahiri,Sanyal etc) do eat meat like mutton,chicken etc unlike Brahmins from other parts of India.

Anyway Happy Pujo to you.

Yumdoot

^
Or you could be that you are the one labouring under presumptions on both counts.

I mean, how do you presume that I don't know about these things already. Do I sound like a foreigner to you?

pmaitra

Hinduism is like a Non-Prophet Organization. It is not a my-way-or-highway religion. It allows a wide variety of diversity. If you worship Shakti, you have to perform sacrifice, and eat meat. You can also become a Hare-Krishna, join ISKON, and eat leaves and roots. Either way is valid way of Hinduism. My comment was of course rhetorical.

Chinmoy

Country flag
Subho Mahalaya to all.................. Although my Bengali neighbours didn't treat me with the ritual pua, puri and soozi halwa this time. :frown:

May be they are fed up of the curses I deliver Momota didi the whole time........ :biggrin2:.

Enjoy the festivities ladies and gentlemen............:)

Chinmoy

Country flag
Not only that, Ravana had duly performed the rite of a true Brahman of delivering gyan to both Ram and Lakshman on his death bed. Ram is known as maryada purushottam also because of the fact that he had even payed homage to Ravana by touching his feet as a teacher after getting knowledge.

And as @jackprince said, Ravana was one of the greatest scholar and king of his time.

Anikastha

DEEP STATE
Country flag
Subho Mahalaya to all.................. Although my Bengali neighbours didn't treat me with the ritual pua, puri and soozi halwa this time. :frown:

May be they are fed up of the curses I deliver Momota didi the whole time........ :biggrin2:.

Enjoy the festivities ladies and gentlemen............:)
Are they didi's supporters ?
If yes , then say Hi from me. Because karma will come soon and her clock is ticking.

Willy2

Not only that, Ravana had duly performed the rite of a true Brahman of delivering gyan to both Ram and Lakshman on his death bed. Ram is known as maryada purushottam also because of the fact that he had even payed homage to Ravana by touching his feet as a teacher after getting knowledge.

And as @jackprince said, Ravana was one of the greatest scholar and king of his time.
U replied to a dead dead poster :frown::frown:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles