Srinagar tense as Peer Dastageer's historical shrine gutted; relics safe

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
==

A shrine to an 11th century saint, Peer Dastgeer Sahib, was gutted in a fire that broke out early morning on Monday even as its management claimed that all holy relics kept there were saved.
According to officials, the fire broke out around 6.15am due to a suspected short circuit at one of the minarets at the shrine while the morning prayers were on.
The shrine is an old wood structure that has been the seat of spiritualism as well as sufism in the valley for centuries.

"The shrine authorities managed to save the relics as they were placed in a fire-proof vault,"' said an official.

An under-construction structure adjoining the shrine was also damaged in the blaze, which reportedly was brought under control at the time of filing of report.

Even as authorities were trying to look for causes of fire, tension prevailed in the old city of Srinagar due to damage to the shrine.

Blaming the authorities for the "late action" in tackling the fire, the devotees resorted to stone-pelting at many places in the vicinity of the shrine. "It was a minor fire but the fire brigade reached an hour late. Besides, three out of the four fire engines hardly had any water," said a devotee Altaf Ahmad. He pointed out that fire brigade station was just a few kilometers away.

Authorities said that they were investigating the matter. "We are trying to investigate what happened. Things are under control and there is no curfew at any place in the city," said Srinagar SSP Ashiq Bhukari.

The reverence for the 11th century saint in Kashmir cuts across religious barriers. While Muslims call the saint Ghaus-e-Azam, the Hindus revere the saint as Kahnoow.

The shrine is an old traditional architectural structure, made mostly of timber, with walls and ceilings made of hand-carved wood and papier mache.

Many antique chandeliers adorned the centre of the big hall, where people visiting the shrine would pray.

IANS ADDS: Tension gripped the summer capital of Jammu and Kashmir following a blaze that gutted the revered Peer Dastageer Sahib shrine, police said.

Stone-pelting mobs clashed with security forces in parts of the old city, prompting the authorities to increase security in the entire capital city.

Three people were injured in the stone pelting. Traffic in the old city has been diverted after the mob violence, a senior police officer said. Police used tear smoke and resorted to repeated baton charges to disperse the mobs.

The mobs also pelted with stones a police station in Khanyar, where the shrine of Peer Dastageer Sahib is located.

Senior police officers, along with reinforcements, also reached the Khanyar locality.

Srinagar tense as historical shrine gutted; relics safe — www.hindustantimes.com — Readability

Bangalorean

Ambassador
Country flag
Seriously, wtf is wrong with these morons? Stone pelting for every damn thing!! Will these idiots go stone-pelting even when there is heavy rain or storm? :frusty:

trackwhack

really, who cares. as long as article 370 is in place, that part of the country hardly belongs to the citizens of this country. let them pelt stones, kill each other until they have had enough. or let goi grow enough hair to remove article 370. then, as a citizen, I dont mind going there to settle down on my own risk. Of course I will be accompanied by a 0.5 caliber to take out at least one mongrel before I go down.

Edited with LB's blessings

Last edited:

trackwhack

sorry my mistake, you are right. everytime I think of this issue, my brains get a little scrambled.

Thanks maomao. LB beat you to it :)

Last edited:

maomao

Veteran Hunter of Maleecha
Country flag
^^^^^

Sirji,

Corrections: It's Article 370 the curse and legacy of Nehruvian Secular Politics!

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
To be O/T I must appreciate Delhi Fire Service. Once a minor fire broke out at my factory, and these guys reached within 30minutes.

After we had put out the fire ourselves, these guys asked for a bribe or else they'll screw us up in fire safety regulations.

Then the fireman said to get x number of extinguishers etc put from the company run by his relative. These particular extinguishers failed to perform when there was another mishap.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles