Shame: Pakistan again in match fixing quagmire

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Now what does India have to do in fixing with Pakistan? How will matchfixing stop by just legalizing betting and bookies in India.?
Instead it will ruin the Indian Cricket.
India = Cricket
Legalizing = Regulation

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
PS: One of the way to "fix" matchfixing worldwide is by legalizing betting in India.

Not necessarily. Individuals can still use the information to defraud legal betting houses (this is what happened in UK). Strict monitoring of the players during the tournament and strict punishment of the players caught is the only way that this menace can be stopped.

johnee

Legalizing = Regulation
In India? Not sure...
Legalization makes it more rampant as more people indulge in it. Then, it is open to all the legal and illegal manipulations that our system allows.

Vinod2070

मध्यस्थ
Ambassador
LONDON: A lot of Pakistani cricketers are "just looking for money, women and food" and very few of them have any love for the game, claims the bookie arrested for alleged 'spot-fixing' in the England-Pakistan Test.

Mazhar Majeed, the bookie who has made sensational claims of bribing Pakistani cricketers for bowling no balls in a sting operation by a British tabloid, claimed a lot of players were only bothered about money.

"You'll find there's only a few players who are genuine and who are actually here for the love of the game, and there's not many believe me. A lot of them are just looking for money, women and food," Majeed has been quoted as saying in the video tapes of the sting released by 'The News of the World'.

"How much they're getting paid is a joke. I came from a football background and I can see the difference in football and cricket. It's huge.

Majeed claimed cheating was not confined to match-fixing alone and that ball tampering had also become regular in the Pakistan team.

"I used to go out on the pitch to give the players their drinks. Whenever we couldn't get a wicket I'd have a lump of Vaseline on my hand. Shake their hand.

"They'd put it on one side of the ball and the ball would suddenly start in-swinging," he said.

Majeed revealed that he wanted Salman Butt to continue as captain for long as possible.

"I give out the information the night before or morning. What's going to happen at the end of the fourth day. But now we are not going to do any results for the next two games because we want Salman Butt to be captain long term," Majeed stated.

Read more: Pak cricketers just want money, women, food: Bookie - Top Stories - Cricket - Sports - The Times of India Pak cricketers just want money, women, food: Bookie - Top Stories - Cricket - Sports - The Times of India
I think they should be given the Sharia punishment in this case to set the right example.

If Pakistan won't do it, England should do it for them. Let them be stoned to death and set the right example. After all these are the same hypocrites who pretend to be very religious on the field.

Energon

DFI stars
Ambassador
Country flag
Now what does India have to do in fixing with Pakistan? How will matchfixing stop by just legalizing betting and bookies in India.?
Instead it will ruin the Indian Cricket.
The epicenter of cricket betting is in India and the its growing middle class the largest market. Even Mazhar admits that his business is entirely dependent upon the Indian market. True, betting goes on all over the cricketing world, but I bet (no pun intended) that the cumulative monies involved elsewhere are still nothing compared to India. Also, from the few anecdotal betting incidents I've witnessed, it seems like this business is vast, complex and probably gaining rapidly in technological sophistication... all of which the Indian market and industry can provide. A less known fact is that Indian software entrepreneurs have made quite a name for themselves in the online gambling (particularly poker) industry based Europe, South America and the Caribbean. Only Anurag Dixit and Vikrant Bhargava have become famous, but there are many others.

One of the way to "fix" matchfixing worldwide is by legalizing betting in India.
I don't think it'll solve much. "Regulations" of any kind in India means government sponsored mass corruption. I'm sure at a practical level this already exists, starting with the BCCI itself.
I actually trust the ICC to do a better job, unfortunately they're increasingly being dominated by the BCCI and do not have the resources to do much.

For the foreseeable future gambling is not only here to stay but also bound to grow. There may be only one marginally effective social impediment to gambling and that is education and financial independence of women (no conclusive studies). As far as India goes, in addition to women's education and influence in society the other equalizer has to be emergence of multiple sport entertainment consumption. Being a one sport monopoly (a national curse of old India in virtually everything) means that there are no consumer controls to outlandish levels of fixing and rigging. Were there to be multiple sports, cricket would have to maintain a greater level of authenticity to retain its gambling and viewing audience.

The other ideal thing would be for the BCCI to become a responsible body capable of providing leadership; clearly this is never going to happen. Not only are they greedy and irresponsible, but are entirely out of touch with cricketing reality. I'm reminded of an anecdote by Gurucharan Das during his time at P&G when he recalls "I met countless politicians and bureaucrats on a near daily basis, not a single one of them understood my business, but they all had the power to ruin it." This is pretty much the state of the BCCI. Nobody in their executive leadership knows or cares about what happens in the sport, yet they rule the cricketing world.

Clearly in this case it would be far better for the PCB to get its act together. Unfortunately (unlike the BCCI) they couldn't do this even if they wanted to because they lack even the most basic resources required to become a functional authoritative body. All they know how to do is hand out life bans for 6 weeks at a time.

Exclusion of Pakistani players from the IPL and the pathetic local market is undoubtedly a factor in their comically high level of corruption. Up to a certain extent I can understand their frustration where despite being incredibly talented their revenue streams aren't even a fraction of what their counterparts enjoy elsewhere in the cricketing world, especially in India. Granted this does not serve as an excuse, and if found guilty they should be banned permanently. But it wouldn't be a bad idea for India to take a more egalitarian approach to cricket in order to improve its integrity.

Lastly, as a cricket fan I'm really saddened by this incident. Asif and Amir are some of the most gifted players to emerge in recent times and are a true pleasure to watch. Their loss on account of corruption will be a loss to the game at large.

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
Hi energon nice to see you mate, but I am not able to get the meaning of these lines care to explain how India has to be responsible for these?

Exclusion of Pakistani players from the IPL and the pathetic local market is undoubtedly a factor in their comically high level of corruption. Up to a certain extent I can understand their frustration where despite being incredibly talented their revenue streams aren't even a fraction of what their counterparts enjoy elsewhere in the cricketing world, especially in India. Granted this does not serve as an excuse, and if found guilty they should be banned permanently. But it wouldn't be a bad idea for India to take a more egalitarian approach to cricket in order to improve its integrity.

Lastly, as a cricket fan I'm really saddened by this incident. Asif and Amir are some of the most gifted players to emerge in recent times and are a true pleasure to watch. Their loss on account of corruption will be a loss to the game at large.

Zaki

Country flag
Shameless Pakistan Cricket Team's humiliation continues

Last edited by a moderator:

Zaki

Country flag
I feel sorry for Michael Holding :( - he was about to cry

Quickgun Murugan

50,000 pounds have been recovered from Salman Butt's hotel room. Scotland Yard will determine if they are the same notes given to Mazhar Majeed by NOTW reporter.

Where as Chairman of Standing Committee for Sports, Iqbal Mohammad Ali has threatened to resign from his post if Ijaz Butt isn't removed as PCB Chairman.

Source :- ARY NEWS

Energon

DFI stars
Ambassador
Country flag
Hi energon nice to see you mate, but I am not able to get the meaning of these lines care to explain how India has to be responsible for these?
Hi Nitesh, thanks for the interest in the post.

Ok so before expounding on anything let me reiterate my stance: India is NOT responsible for Pakistani players being cheats just as India isn't responsible for some Pakistanis being terrorists. Blaming external causes does not serve as a valid excuse (I take bribes because India keeps me out of the IPL or I'm a terrorist because India...) Such "arguments" shouldn't even be entertained in civilized society.

Having said that, let's consider a couple of facts:
  • Lack of economic opportunity leading to corruption is a universal human trait independent of race, ethnicity, nationality etc. So in this regard Pakistanis aren't an exception.
  • National politics aside, there is a huge discrepancy in the wealth distribution system when it comes to athletes. Pakistan produces some of the greatest cricketers (established fact), who are unfortunately disbarred from access to equitable economic opportunity only because of their misfortune of having been born in Pakistan. Again, not an excuse, but certainly a factor that explains the persistent trend of corruption (which is unlikely to stop on its own)
India's role:
The game of cricket is clearly in the hands of India now, bringing with it huge benefits. But at the same time it also falls upon the Indian cricket establishment as the leaders to promote and retain the value of the sport (mostly for its own interest as the largest consumer). The value of cricket has two major components (among many other things): 1) Integrity of the game and 2) Competitive international cricket.
Like it or not, Pakistan is a big contributor to international cricket because of its uncanny ability to produce incredibly talented players. Unfortunately it is glaringly evident that these young kids do not (and will never) receive guidance and mentorship in Pakistan required to become responsible sportsmen. The consequence is that the integrity of the sport is jeopardized and there's a huge loss of talent which decreases the overall value of the sport.
Now if India were to open its doors to young/emerging cricketers from poor nations and/or invest in their cricketing infrastructure*, it may reduce the possibility of such disasters. I am also certain that these kids will receive far better direction and exposure in addition to economic benefits which will serve as a deterrent to shameless corruption. And most of all it will add value to Indian cricket.

*This does not only apply to Pakistan, I have for the longest time been a proponent of India investing heavily in Caribbean cricket. This of course is a separate topic altogether so I won't talk about it here.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
I wouldn't be surprised if paki media blames India and RAW for this.

:emot15:

hungo

IMO what can you expect.Pak players get paid next to nothing compared to their foreign counterparts.There simple poor boys who get thrust into the international limelight and suddenly they're' heroes.And if they don't get the sort of cash they expect then 100,000 of thousands of pounds is a tempting offer.

IMO these kind of opportunists have ruined cricket.I have some doubts about about the Indian-SL match too.

Last edited:

Zaki

Country flag
well the match fixing is everywhere but this time we have broken down all previous records :rofl;

I am still indignant over the incident, they should be banned forever with lot of penalty and if possible prison for a couple of months if the law do exists

satyam

Aamer was cheating because he needed to buy a generator for his village

"One thing that struck me about Amir was his constant smile, his zest for the game," he said. "That has not changed. I will never condone any form of fixing, but we should consider that a cricketer might not be thinking of personal gain but of getting money to buy a generator for his village because they don't have electricity.

Spot-fixing controversy: Amir earns sympathy for plight from Lawson and Ramiz | Cricket News | England v Pakistan 2010 | Cricinfo.com

They always come up with this senti-bull-crap stories to justify their crime. Next would be "Poor guy bombed Srilankan cricketers because his entire family was living on earning from his gang". :angry_10:

SHASH2K2

Well, they have already switched on their "Denial mode" button:

This clearly shows mentality of average pakistani . They will act like ostrich and assume that danger is gone. I cannot get angry with host for trying to prove players as innocent but cannot stop laughing for the logic that was given in support of players. This has become a practice with Pakistani media and they try to protect terrorists as well by portraying them as hero . May be media is real cause of all social evils in Pakistan as instead of showing reality they present fabricated story and all villains are hero in those stories .

Quickgun Murugan

This clearly shows mentality of average pakistani . They will act like ostrich and assume that danger is gone. I cannot get angry with host for trying to prove players as innocent but cannot stop laughing for the logic that was given in support of players. This has become a practice with Pakistani media and they try to protect terrorists as well by portraying them as hero . May be media is real cause of all social evils in Pakistan as instead of showing reality they present fabricated story and all villains are hero in those stories .
AAmir sohail will not be invited to the show again for insulting the host. They will invite zaid hamid next and support their agenda.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles