Rustom 2/TAPAS/BH-201 MALE UAV News Updates and Discussions

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Rustom is fucked in present configuration. It is super massively overweight. If more powerful Piston engines are used then it will add to weight and more fuel will also be required, hence the whole configuration has to be redone. HAL has to use turboprop or turbofan engines. In any case, piston engine powered UCAVs fly too low and too slow for Himalayan heights, which are our primary area of conflict.
Are you on every thread to bash Indian products.
Even if IAF is going to buy them, they'll stop after reading your posts.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
If they have announced of testing it, I doubt the claims you make are true ..

They have got new 180bhp engines and this prototype is not previous one ..

I am very sure they will add 8KN engines on latter prototypes, Rustom 2 design has changed ..

Rustom is fucked in present configuration. It is super massively overweight. If more powerful Piston engines are used then it will add to weight and more fuel will also be required, hence the whole configuration has to be redone. HAL has to use turboprop or turbofan engines. In any case, piston engine powered UCAVs fly too low and too slow for Himalayan heights, which are our primary area of conflict.

Raj Malhotra

Country flag
I am all for Indian products. For instance, I am for Akash and against MRSAM as MRSAM is Indian only in name sake. In other instances, I want to point out that Indian products are deliberately being delayed to help foreign products. How am I against Indian products? Did I delay LUH or Rustom-2? Did I prevent orders for Dhanush howitzer?

Regards Rustom-2, I am pointing out the design anomalies which will prevent it from getting into mass production. Whats wrong in saying that imported Piston engine which weight 180kg and produces only 165hp should be replaced by Indian license manufactured Turboprop Garrett which also weighs 180kg but produce 700-1200hp? Did I make Rustom-2 heavy? Did I make Himalayas so high that piston powered UAVs are inadequate?

tharun

Patriot
Country flag
If they have announced of testing it, I doubt the claims you make are true ..

They have got new 180bhp engines and this prototype is not previous one ..

I am very sure they will add 8KN engines on latter prototypes, Rustom 2 design has changed ..
Do 8KN engines is enough for Rustom? because it is looking too heavy.....

piKacHHu

Country flag
Are you on every thread to bash Indian products.
Even if IAF is going to buy them, they'll stop after reading your posts.
I think this would not be the case. IAF with the current dispensation on helm will be forced to accept into service as much of the money was spent on this project. I must say the current government is very particular about financial accountability in research and PSUs. For even a rupee spent in any old project sanctioned by earlier govt, they are asking about output and thinking of using it by any means to recover the investment.
For Rustom-2, I think it looks vintage (Euphemism for outdated..!) by design for a layman like me. I mean when we look around, forget about US, even Chinese drones look far better. This design has only one unique feature; its dual turboprops which I have seen nowhere. I think the aviation experts on this forum can bring out the salient features of Rustom-2 and its future.

AnantS

Country flag
I am all for Indian products. For instance, I am for Akash and against MRSAM as MRSAM is Indian only in name sake. In other instances, I want to point out that Indian products are deliberately being delayed to help foreign products. How am I against Indian products? Did I delay LUH or Rustom-2? Did I prevent orders for Dhanush howitzer?

Regards Rustom-2, I am pointing out the design anomalies which will prevent it from getting into mass production. Whats wrong in saying that imported Piston engine which weight 180kg and produces only 165hp should be replaced by Indian license manufactured Turboprop Garrett which also weighs 180kg but produce 700-1200hp? Did I make Rustom-2 heavy? Did I make Himalayas so high that piston powered UAVs are inadequate?
What is the SFC of those two engines? Maybe the answer lies in that?

Raj Malhotra

Country flag
You are absolutely correct that due to higher SFC of turboprop engines, more fuel is required. Such argument was made, for instance, for P-3 vs P-8 aircraft also. But UCAV is useless unless it takes off and flies with adequate payload. Hence, ADE will have to accept a faster, higher flying UCAV, with higher payload, more likely to survive in contested space, able to cover more ground but with less loitering endurance in time, equivalent to Reaper or Heron TP.

Yumdoot

Bhailog, currently Rustom-2 is mandated to be flown with 360 kg payload. Which most likely means sensors only. So its a UAV with some potential for UCAV type missions with probably 4 Helinas but with much reduced endurance.

Piston powered engines were the first to be used for UAVs. Condor had a very serious altitude record for a long time while at the same time flew for 2.5 days. MQ-1 was also piston powered. After all before the Americans went on to produce MQ-9 they were also trying out a lot of things.

And the SFC is so low for piston powered engines that probably Rustom-2 will manage full endurance full payload with just around 700-800 kg of fuel.

Ultimately for all UAVs as well as UCAVs the airframe is an exo-skeleton kind of like an ant. Ant has the power to carry a lot of load but only because the exo-skeleton is strong and is able to leverage the power generated by the inner organs. Let them proof the airframe, the datalinks and navigation software. These by themselves are a set of uniquely difficult task. Once done its only going to be a matter of predictable and calculate-able trade-offs among fuel, power and payload. But for this trade off to begin we have to have an airframe that has the matching capability to be so turned around.

A later variant of Rustom-2 probably with much more CFC usage, too should be able to host a bigger engine. Though I would like to see a Rustom-3 instead.

Hote hote sab hoga. Indian Standard Time par hoga par hoga.

Bornubus

Chodi Bhakt & BJPig Hunter

Comparison of MRSAM and Akash is unrelated.

tsunami

Country flag
Any flight test update?? Tomorrow is last date!!!

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
Maybe test flight is dependant on climate.Bangalore is definitely cloudy, going by news reports...

Members from Bangalore can confirm...

Raj Malhotra

Country flag
Wondering whether we will get news of some flight or a new pretext-excuse?

Anyway, the whole point of Rustom-2 to deliver a MALE UAV quickly has been defeated by HAL. I think while we should continue working on Rustom-2, we need to issue R&D contracts for Rustom-3 & 4 to private sector. Rustom-3 can be UCAV equipped with turboprop engines (Garrett?) equivalent to Eitan and Predator B sought to be imported by India. Rustom-4 can be UCAV equipped with Turbofan engines (AL-55 or HTSE-25) equivalent to Predator Cs or even Global Hawk.

airtel

Country flag
why India is Not developing HALE UAV like [edited]

& how we will get sensors like synthetic aperture radars , EOTS & irst ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jagdish58

Again deadline jumped , as quoted this is frustrating as we are losing UAV's off air

Scientists at the Aeronautical Development Establishment (ADE) would move to the test range later this week for the trial as an window between July 28 and August 2 would be kept open for the flight in the presence of Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar

http://www.deccanherald.com/content/557158/rustom-ii-uav-tested-chitradurga.html

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Navy to back Indigenous Rustom Drones

While India and United states are still holding negotiations on the sale of Maritime variant of Predator drones for surveillance and reconnaissance missions in Indian ocean Region.
In a major thrust to provide a further boost to the indigenous capabilities, Indian Navy has decided to back indigenous UAVs and UCAV Programs as per latest media reports.
Navy and DRDO are currently working on the development of Automatic Identification System (AIS) for Rustom-1 to monitor international maritime boundary line (IMLB) between India and Sri Lanka and have initially agreed to place
orders for 10 MALE Rustom-1 when UAV is ready to enter production, even though Rustom-1 was to be just a Testbed for larger Rustom-2 , Navy
found some merit to further develop it with DRDO for their usage while Indian Army and Indian Air force stayed away from the program.
Navy also has discussed with DRDO development of Maritime Combat variant of HALE Class Rustom-2 UCAV for which initial requirement will be around 12-15 units , it is unclear what will be the ratio of combat and unarmed Rustom-2 but both a maritime reconnaissance and a hunter-killer variant that will be built to deploy stand-off strike weapons will be developed as per requirements of Indian Navy.
Indian navy’s interest in a long-endurance maritime surveillance unmanned aircraft system is drawing the attention from the world over and Northrop Grumman officials have already briefed Indian Navy over MQ-4C Triton unmanned aircraft system which is a new broad area maritime surveillance (BAMS) unmanned aircraft system (UAS) unveiled by Northrop Grumman for the US Navy.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles