Report: Russia Moves Nuclear Missiles to Cuba

tony4562

Tihar Jail
Banned
When it comes to a great big war like say for e.g. WWIII, Russia and US would be together to target rouge countries like China, NKorea, Pakistan and the likes. Just take WWII as a learning tool. As I see it, India is close to Russia and having strong relations with US. Where is China headed? An axis with failed states?
Guess that's why Russia is moving nuk-capable missiles to Cuba, very insightful!

Personally I would take that report like anything else coming out of Russia these days, with a grain of salt. But currently Russia which feels besiged by the US-led NATO, shares far more common interests with China than she does with the US. Putin who has been bombarded with negative images in the west media for years, and his party which dominate russian politics, clearly hate the west, then you have the communists and the right wingers who usually side with Putin, that's about it. These days, you don't have a single significant political entity in Russia that holds favourable opinion of the west.

You can keep hoping for this grand anti-china alliance, ain't gonna happen though. These days cash-rich China and her citizens are like santa, welcome every where.

Oracle

Guess that's why Russia is moving nuk-capable missiles to Cuba, very insightful!

Personally I would take that report like anything else coming out of Russia these days, with a grain of salt. But currently Russia which feels besiged by the US-led NATO, shares far more common interests with China than she does with the US. Putin who has been bombarded with negative images in the west media for years, and his party which dominate russian politics, clearly hate the west, then you have the communists and the right wingers who usually side with Putin, that's about it. These days, you don't have a single significant political entity in Russia that holds favourable opinion of the west.

You can keep hoping for this grand anti-china alliance, ain't gonna happen though. These days cash-rich China and her citizens are like santa, welcome every where.
It takes an idiot to believe the source. And now you come up with 'grain of salt' jibe. China only has money, earner though illicit routes. It is a thief, this is how the world views China. And not, not a Santa, but a bunny, a bunch of deluded, ignorant and retard bunnies.

Oracle

/\/\/\ LF, what do you think about Pravda and Ria? Propaganda news sites?

tony4562

Tihar Jail
Banned
It takes an idiot to believe the source. And now you come up with 'grain of salt' jibe. China only has money, earner though illicit routes. It is a thief, this is how the world views China. And not, not a Santa, but a bunny, a bunch of deluded, ignorant and retard bunnies.
I too doubt Russia is moving nukes to Cuba (at least not in open), but Russia is re-occupying bases in Vietnam and Cuba, that was in the news just couple days ago. The rest of your comment is a reflection of your frustration and therefore isn't worth a reply.

Oracle

I too doubt Russia is moving nukes to Cuba (at least not in open), but Russia is re-occupying bases in Vietnam and Cuba, that was in the news just couple days ago. The rest of your comment is a reflection of your frustration and therefore isn't worth a reply.
The rest of my reply was a slap to your trolling for maligning India on threads, while hiding behind the flag of Cayman Islands, when you actually are a stupid Chinese.

Last edited:

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Russians are not going to do anything provocative like that but they do have their
fans in south America and they have placed bombers in venezuela in the past?

Russian strategic bombers return home from Venezuela | Russia | RIA Novosti

Russian strategic bombers return home from Venezuela
Bombers were not stationed in Venezuela, according to your source. They were there for a little more than one week, apparently to demonstrate the capability for Hugo's benefit.

Country flag
Bombers were not stationed in Venezuela, according to your source. They were there for a little more than one week, apparently to demonstrate the capability for Hugo's benefit.
Afterwards both Cubans and Venezuelans became hopeful of a possible placement?
Both even offered Russia islands.

Cuba, Venezuela May Host Russian Bombers: Report

MOSCOW — A Russian air force chief said Saturday that the country could base some strategic bombers in Cuba or on an island offered by Venezuela

pmaitra

Gentlemen, please consider the source of the original article. I am surprised that a person normally as responsible as pmaitra would post such a thing without a caveat of some sort.
Sir,

The caveat lies in the fact that I have provided links. The responsibility of the authenticity of the report(s) lies with the author of the source.

On the question of source, is there any reason to conclude that Pravda is any less reliable than Fox News?

-Regards-

W.G.Ewald

Professional
Sir,

The caveat lies in the fact that I have provided links. The responsibility of the authenticity of the report(s) lies with the author of the source.

On the question of source, is there any reason to conclude that Pravda is any less reliable than Fox News?

-Regards-
Your source was Prison Planet. Source: Prison Planet.com � Report: Russia Moves Nuclear Missiles to Cuba

Not Fox.

Not Pravda.

Alex Jones (radio host) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

pmaitra

Your source was Prison Planet. Source: Prison Planet.com � Report: Russia Moves Nuclear Missiles to Cuba

Not Fox.

Not Pravda.

Alex Jones (radio host) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The Prison Planet article cites reports from Pravda, which I have also posted.

Thanks for the link:
Mainstream sources have described Jones as a conservative[4][5][6][7] and as a right-wing conspiracy theorist.
Now, 'mainstream' in the USA is Jewish controlled media houses, so I don't quite perceive them to be mainstream. That's just my opinion.

Just like I quote articles from CNN, BBC, etc., I think it is only fair to quote from Pravda as well. Just keeping it balanced.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Absolutely questionable "news." This got to be one of the wet dreams of Putin! Anyway, a closer reality might be nuclear armed ballistic submarines not land based nuclear tipped missiles. But then again Russian nuclear armed submarines have always been able to move close to American shores (so this is no news at all)... Putin is simply trying to pump up the "nationalist" sentiments of Russians (to divert attention away from more hip and headline grabing "Pussy Riots).. :laugh:

W.G.Ewald

Professional
The Prison Planet article cites reports from Pravda, which I have also posted.
What is Russian "Oak" missile system? I do not recognize that as a NATO name or mentioned here:

Russia and weapons of mass destruction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Nuclear arsenal of Russia

The exact numbers of nuclear warheads remain a subject of estimations and ongoing constant discussion depending on their respective source. The Federation of American Scientists estimates that Russia possesses 4,650 active nuclear warheads, while the U.S. has 2,468.[1] Alexander Khramchikhin, an analyst at the Institute of Political and Military Analysis said Russia has 3,100 nuclear warheads while the U.S. has some 5,700.[6] According to 2011 data from the New START Treaty Aggregate Numbers of Strategic Offensive Arms facts sheet, the United States has the largest number of deployed nuclear weapons in the world, 300 more than Russia.[7]

Mid-2007 Russia was estimated to have around 3,281 active strategic nuclear warheads in its arsenal.[8] Russia also has a large number of tactical nuclear weapons, although there are no treaty requirements for it to publish data on these weapons so the exact numbers are unknown.[9] An estimate by Hans Kristensen and Robert Norris estimate Russia has approximately 2,000 deployed tactical warheads.[10] Strategic nuclear forces of Russia include:[8]

Land based Strategic Rocket Forces: 489 missiles carrying up to 1,788 warheads; they employ immobile (silos), like SS-18 Satan, and mobile delivery systems, like SS-27 Topol M.
Sea based Strategic Fleet: 12 submarines carrying up to 609 warheads; they should be able to employ, in a near future, delivery systems like SS-N-30 Bulava.
Strategic Aviation: 79 bombers carrying up to 884 cruise missiles.

As of July 2009, Russia's strategic arsenal reportedly shrunk to 2,723 warheads, including: 367 ICBMs with 1,248 warheads, 13 SSBNs with 591 warheads and 76 bombers with 884 warheads.[11]

pmaitra

^^

Quoting from another source:

OAK is not a missile system, its a Russian open joint stock company set up by Putin in 2006 to amalgamate Russian aircraft manufacturers into one body called United Aircraft Corporation (in English) The abbreviation for the Russian name for this corporation is OAK.
The Russian government owns 80% of the stock.
If you look down the subsidiary companies Tupolev is known to be active with missile technologies, and probably others.
I'm not saying Russia has deployed missiles in Cuba, but the OAK abbreviation does seem to have some validation.

United Aircraft Corporation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Here is a list of all the Nukes ready to fly at a moments notice!

W.G.Ewald

Professional
^^
Quote from "another source":

OAK is not a missile system, its a Russian open joint stock company set up by Putin in 2006...
Quote of Putin from Pravda:

"With the full consent of the Cuban leadership, on May 11 of this year, our country has not only resumed work in the electronic center of Lourdes, but also placed the latest mobile strategic nuclear missiles "Oak" on the island. They did not want to do it the amicable way, now let them deal with this," added Putin.
So, Oak is not a missile system, but a joint stock company that fires missiles.:rolleyes:

Putin was 11 years old in 1963. Do you know what I mean?

pmaitra

^^
Quote from "another source":

Quote of Putin from Pravda:

So, Oak is not a missile system, but a joint stock company that fires missiles.:rolleyes:

Putin was 11 years old in 1963. Do you know what I mean?
Perhaps psy-ops by Putin? Perhaps there actually exists a missile system called OAK. Do you know what the Akula submarine looks like? Could you please post a picture?

W.G.Ewald

Professional

Akula (means shark in Russian, something else in Sanskrit)

pmaitra

Akula (means shark in Russian, something else in Sanskrit)
Thank you.

The picture you posted is not the Akula (although Google search will say that). It is the Shchuka-B submarine.

Here is the Akula submarine:

Now, why did I ask you to find that submarine? Well, I wanted to demonstrate that the Soviets deliberately changed names, and even project numbers, to confuse the enemy.

Now, coming back to the OAK missile system, the existence of which is unsubstantiated, one might as well keep this in mind.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Russia to revive army bases in three oceans

The Russian government intends to restore the military-technical support of their ships at the former military base in Cam Ranh (Vietnam), Lourdes (Cuba) and the Seychelles. So far, this is not about plans for a military presence, but rather the restoration of the crew resources. However, a solid contractual basis should be developed for these plans.

The intentions were announced on July 27 by the Russian Navy Commander Vice Admiral Viktor Chirkov. "At the international level, the creation of logistics points in Cuba, the Seychelles and Vietnam is being worked out," Chirkov was quoted by the media. The issue was specifically discussed at the meeting with the leaders of all countries. President of Vietnam Truong Tan Sang has recently held talks with Prime Minister Dmitri Medvedev in Moscow and President Putin in Sochi. Cuban leader Raul Castro met with Putin in Moscow earlier this month. A little earlier the President of the Republic of Seychelles, James Michel made an unequivocal statement.

"We will give Russia the benefits in Cam Ranh, including the development of military cooperation," the President of Vietnam told the media. Cuba that has an American military base in Guantanamo Bay and is protesting against the deployment of new U.S. bases in Colombia, of course, wants to acquire an ally in Russia to be able to contain the United States. Seychelles in the Indian Ocean has always been in the zone of Soviet influence. In 1981, the Soviet Navy helped the government to prevent the military coup and before the collapse of the USSR the Soviets had a constant presence in the area. In June of 2012, at the opening of an Orthodox church in the capital city of Victoria, James Michel spoke of Russia's role in combating piracy and supported the Russian idea to build a pier in the port of Victoria, designed for the reception of the Navy warships of Russian Federation.

Following the statement by Vice-Admiral, Russian Foreign Ministry and Defense Ministry made it clear that they were talking about rest and replenishment of the crews after the campaign in the area and not military bases. It is clear, however, that Russian warships could do both without special arrangements, given the good attitudes of the leaders of these countries toward Russia. It can be assumed that the Russian Admiral unwittingly gave away far-reaching plans of the Russian leadership. That would be great, because from the time of Peter the Great, Russia had a strong fleet and army. In addition, it is worth mentioning Putin's statement at the G20 meeting in June. After the meeting with U.S. President Barack Obama, Putin made a sudden harsh statement to the press.

"In 2001 I, as the President of the Russian Federation and the supreme commander, deemed it advantageous to withdraw the radio-electronic center Lourdes from Cuba. In exchange for this, George Bush, the then U.S. president, has assured me that this decision would become the final confirmation that the Cold War was over and both of our states, getting rid of the relics of the Cold War, will start building a new relationship based on cooperation and transparency. In particular, Bush has convinced me that the U.S. missile defense system will never be deployed in Eastern Europe.

The Russian Federation has fulfilled all terms of the agreement. And even more. I shut down not only the Cuban Lourdes but also Kamran in Vietnam. I shut them down because I gave my word of honor. I, like a man, has kept my word. What have the Americans done? The Americans are not responsible for their own words. It is no secret that in recent years, the U.S. created a buffer zone around Russia, involving in this process not only the countries of Central Europe, but also the Baltic states, Ukraine and the Caucasus. The only response to this could be an asymmetric expansion of the Russian military presence abroad, particularly in Cuba. In Cuba, there are convenient bays for our reconnaissance and warships, a network of the so-called "jump airfields." With the full consent of the Cuban leadership, on May 11 of this year, our country has not only resumed work in the electronic center of Lourdes, but also placed the latest mobile strategic nuclear missiles "Oak" on the island. They did not want to do it the amicable way, now let them deal with this," Putin said.

It is obvious that Russia will not stop simply at "resting" their sailors in the area. Now back to the statement of Chirkov. Americans have not officially resented it. For example, the Pentagon spokesman George Little said that Russia had the right to enter into military agreements and relationships with other countries, as does the United States, according to France Press Agency. The reason is simple: American analysts believe that Russia now cannot afford to create its own military bases.

The Americans talk about Russia's lack of influence, money and the actual fleet. Western media quoted an "independent expert on the defense" in Moscow Paul Fengelgauer. He said that Russia does not have the necessary naval resources to provide constant presence outside its territorial waters, as it has only 30 major warships that serve five fleets. Therefore, the possibility of placing an additional station does not mean the expansion of sea power in Russia. This is largely an objective assessment. But since the crisis in the West in 2008, Russia began to recover part of its navy. The loss was not that great - about a quarter of the Soviet reserve. Another thing is that we should talk about the modernization of the fleet. There is much to maintain. On Thursday, Chirkov said that this year Russia's naval forces can be replenished with another 10-15 warships, including destroyers and nuclear submarines.

As for the influence, judging by the words of the Russian President, Russia is also actively growing in this regard, although work in this direction has only begun. As we can see, Pacific, Atlantic and Indian Oceans are involved. This is due not only to geopolitical reasons, but the growing economic presence of Russia in the regions. For example, "Gazprom" is actively working on offshore Vietnam. In the Caribbean, it also participates in the construction of Meso-American pipeline and field development in Venezuela. An ammunition plant is under construction in Cuba.

However, one should start with a solid contractual basis. Take, for example, agreements on mutual defense that the U.S. has with the Philippines, Japan, Colombia, and Mexico. In the presence of such agreements military bases cannot be challenged as a military expansion. Russia has room to grow - of the 16 operating in the Soviet era military bases today there is only one left - Tartus in Syria, or two, if we consider the base in Sevastopol.

Russia to revive army bases in three oceans - English pravda.ru
This is a very interesting report from Pravda.

Some interesting analysis is there of the geopolitical situation from the Russian point of view.

US analysts feel Russia cannot have a naval presence around the world since they have only 30 major warships.

This OAK missile is again mentioned!

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles