Pak to add 24 missiles in 2011; target India

Oracle

Pakistan plans to add 24 nuclear-capable, short-range missiles capable of hitting all major Indian cities to its arsenal this year, reflecting a urge in the security establishment to seek "strategic parity in the region", according to a media report on Monday.

This will be the highest number of missiles Pakistan has ever produced in a year if the government achieves the target, The Express Tribune newspaper quoted its sources as saying.

The air-to-air and surface-to-air missiles will be able to hit targets at a distance between 700 km and 1,000 km, thus putting nearly all major Indian cities within their range, the report claimed.

The plan is in line with Pakistan's official policy of having what is rhetorically called "maintaining a minimum deterrence", especially against India, the daily quoted sources as saying.

The Strategic Plans Division (SPD) -- the body that oversees Pakistan's nuclear arsenal -- is supervising the production of the new missiles.

The SPD works under the National Command Authority, which is nominally headed by the Prime Minister and has the three service chiefs as its members.

At a recent meeting of the NCA, the SPD briefed authorities about its plan envisaging the production of the highest number of missiles in a year.

The move comes on the heels of reports earlier in the year that Pakistan is rapidly adding to its nuclear arsenal and the number of its atomic warheads might have surpassed that of France.

Officials in Islamabad denied those reports but insiders said Pakistan has been "watching closely with concern" India's increasing nuclear cooperation with the US and France.

"That is the benchmark... if we see something happening in India on this front, naturally we react and we have to," said an unnamed official.

Rediff

Country flag
India has moved too far ahead of Pakistan in conventional weapons this has moved Pakistan towards keeping a nuclear balance, and with China assisting them in these missiles (like all of their missiles) it gives Pakistan a leverage.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Pakistan plans to add 24 nuclear-capable, short-range missiles capable of hitting all major Indian cities to its arsenal this year, reflecting a urge in the security establishment to seek "strategic parity in the region", according to a media report on Monday.

This will be the highest number of missiles Pakistan has ever produced in a year if the government achieves the target, The Express Tribune newspaper quoted its sources as saying.

The air-to-air and surface-to-air missiles will be able to hit targets at a distance between 700 km and 1,000 km, thus putting nearly all major Indian cities within their range, the report claimed.
Wikimapia - Let's describe the whole world!

Wikimapia - Let's describe the whole world!

Banglore, Chennai, Calcutta and hydrabad are some of cities not come under the range of missile. I wonder if Pakistan teach proper geography in their school and colleges.

JBH22

Is this an indication that Pakistani top brass cannot take on the Indian Armed forces conventionally so they resort to that blackmail tactics..

sandeepdg

Folks, I think the Shaheen 2 has a range of 2500 kms. And the distance between Karachi and Kolkata is around 2200 kms, similarly for Chennai too. So, I think their missiles can very well hit most of mainland India, including as far as Chennai and Kolkata.

Though, whether they will be able to cover this 2500 or fall from the sky after travelling 250 kms is another issue for discussion. :)

Last edited:

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
X2

I am bit shocked abt their preparation i assumed some 100 would be ready..
exactly that is what i was thinking, 100 and counting for this year, next year even more, all the aid money is thrown into making missile.

Oracle

Does it make any sense? :confused:

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
In the end they will sell them for 50% off.
To the Al Qaeda, Taliban, Iran, North Korea - anyone who is willing to give them some hard cash - see, US aid is hard to siphon off to Swiss accounts. But they can be siphoned off to build missiles (in the name of Pakistan national security). Then the missiles can be sold and THAT money can be siphoned off to Swiss accounts. After a decade of that, the generals can retire to the French Riviera and the Taliban can take over Pakistan - nice plan - everyone (Pak generals and Taliban) wins - right?

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
The air-to-air and surface-to-air missiles will be able to hit targets at a distance between 700 km and 1,000 km,
never did I heard of anything like this, it would surely give the S-500 SAM system and the Novator K-100 AAM a run for money:hail::hail:

only 24 ................................... ???
It means 24 missiles produced in a single year say 2011 as per this quote ....
At a recent meeting of the NCA, the SPD briefed authorities about its plan envisaging the production of the highest number of missiles in a year.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
@ Payeng, let me rephrase it "only 24, per year.....................???".

They are too generous on us........

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
24 surface to surface missiles is a good number per year. I think the media in it's over enthusiasm just printed a whole lot of shit.

Indian IRBM arsenal is about that number in total by some speculative figures. Obviously not verifiable as India maintains secrecy about it.

But yeah, if they are going at 24 a year IRBMs, then it's a decent number of missiles in the arsenal.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles