Pak police rescue 54 students chained up in madrasa for terror training

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Police in the Pakistani city of Karachi have rescued 54 students from the basement of an Islamic seminary, or madrasa, where they said they were kept in chains by clerics, beaten and barely fed.

Police raided the Zakariya madrasa late on Monday on the outskirts of Karachi, Pakistan's commercial hub. They are investigating whether it had any links to violent militant groups, which often recruit from hardline religious schools.

Most victims had signs of severe torture, and had developed wounds from the chains, police said. The main cleric of the madrasa escaped during the raid. Many of the students – who varied in age from 15 to 45 and were kept 30 to a room – were still in chains while shown on television.

"I was kept in the basement for the past month and was kept in chains. They also tortured me severely during this period. I was beaten with sticks," said a student, Mohi-ud-Din.

Another student who appeared on television from a police station said: "I have been here for 20 days. They hardly fed me anything and would beat me up if I did not learn my lessons properly."

A senior police official, Rao Anwar, said many of those rescued were drug addicts brought to the seminary for treatment. "These people were not taken to the madrasa forcefully. In fact the parents of many of them had themselves got their children admitted there," he said.

"Some of them are drug addicts, and others involved in other crimes, and they were tortured and kept in chains so that they did not run away."

A man who identified himself as Abdullah told local television that he had brought his 35-year-old drug addict brother to the madrasa for rehabilitation.

"The chains are not a problem. They are needed because without them heroin addicts run away," he said.
Thousands of madrasas are spread across Pakistan, which is fighting an insurgency by al-Qaida-linked Taliban militants.

Many people are too poor to afford non-religious schools or feel state institutions are inadequate so they send their children to madrasas, where they memorise the Qur'an, learn Arabic and study the traditions ofIslam.
Many madrasas offer free board and lodging. Some of the more extreme schools churn out fighters and suicide bombers for militant groups such as the Taliban or al-Qaida.

One student, Fayyaz Azeem, said there were no visits by Taliban militants. "They kept us in chains and used to beat us every day with sticks and belts," he said.

Pakistani police rescue 54 students chained up in madrasa basement | World news | The Guardian

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Chained youth for terror training in Pak madrassa

Karachi: In yet another pointer to the growing threat of terror elements active in Pakistan, more than 50 children and youth were found chained inside an underground dungeon at an Islamic seminary in Karachi city.

As per reports, they were being trained for terror activities with the active involvement of the Taliban.

Among those rescued are children aged 12 years with the majority being in their early twenties. Most of them are of Pakhtun ethnicity.

They were found chained inside a dungeon during a police raid at the Madrassa al Arabia al Uloom and Jamia Masjid Zakariya Farid Goth in Sohrab Goth area of the port city.

As per media reports, the children rejoiced on seeing the police and recounted their tales of horror. Some of them said that they were beaten frequently and also hung from the ceiling upside down as a form of punishment.

While some others said that they had seen the Taliban in the seminary and that around 10 inmates have mysteriously disappeared in the past seven months.

Some Islamic schools in Pakistan are accused of training militants and supporting violent extremist groups, with some dispatching fighters to neighbouring Afghanistan.

Especially, the seminaries in the northwestern Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province have been under the scanner for promoting militancy in the syllabi. Taliban chief Mullah Umar is also believed to have been trained in the seminary of Moulana Sami-ul-Haq in Akora Khattak near Peshawar.

Importantly, Pakistan's Interior Minister Rehman Malik had said that seminaries "belonging to a particular school of thought" were promoting militancy in the country.

The administrator of the horror seminary in Karachi, Mufti Dawood, fled during the raid but his associate Qari Muhammad Usman and two others were apprehended from the site.

"The madrassa officials claim that they had chained those students because they were drug addicts and they wanted to rehabilitate them and make them better Muslims," a police official was quoted as saying by a Pakistani daily.

"Every possibility including its involvement in militancy will be investigated upon," said Sharfuddin Memon, a spokesman for the home department of Sindh province said.

Memon added that the incident highlighted the brutality in society.

"It showed the brutalised aspect of our society and our police's effort was aimed at eradicating that element," he said.

As per another report, there are at least 15,000 seminaries in Pakistan with more than two million students.

Chained youth for terror training in Pak madrassa

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Great nation indeed!

I am sure Imran Khan would be delighted!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
This is criminal.

They are real scoundrels who are people who are not even in the know that their parents were never married!

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
So this is where these for sale suicide bombers are coming from? After intense torture and severe deprivation of basic necessities, contact with family and friends I guess these chaps will eagerly agree to blowing themselves up into millionsof bits and pieces in return for the promise of freedom and 72 virgins... The latter is more enticing for them since obviously those chaps cannot even mast#rb@te inside their cramped cells... :pound:

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
No doubt they are brainwashed into becoming terrorists.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Does RAW know of this site? India is also at the recieveing end of Pakistan based Jihadists (ISI's proxies). Maybe raw can conduct sabotage missions deep inside Pakistan using Afghani Taliban. The Jihadist movement inside Pakistan is confused and RAW maybe able to exploit it.

pmaitra

Does RAW know of this site? India is also at the recieveing end of Pakistan based Jihadists (ISI's proxies). Maybe raw can conduct sabotage missions deep inside Pakistan using Afghani Taliban. The Jihadist movement inside Pakistan is confused and RAW maybe able to exploit it.
I don't know whether RAW is already exploiting the mess, chaos and confusion within Pakistan, however, we have been often accused of supporting (1) the Taliban and (2) the Baloch Nationalists, by none other than many prominent Pakistanis.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I read about this in today's newspaper.

The more I read, the more I am horrified that such people exist who turn religion on its head and bring such disrepute to it!

I wonder what is it that motivates people to be so demonish and devilish to be so criminally inclined?

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
I don't know whether RAW is already exploiting the mess, chaos and confusion within Pakistan, however, we have been often accused of supporting (1) the Taliban and (2) the Baloch Nationalists, by none other than many prominent Pakistanis.

RAW must starting acting like the MOSSAD or CIA and start avenging the Indian deaths from the suicide bombings inside India. Retribution anywhere anytime must be th motto of RAW. It might take 5-10 years to accomplish the mission, inside or outside Pakistan, but it must be done if only to illustrate the resolve and ability of the Indian state to exact justice.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Pasha of the ISI is hell bent on destroying Pakistan from within.

He could be a RAW agent too!

India supports ISI!!!!!

Reactions: nrj

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag

Last edited by a moderator:

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag

nitesh

Mob Control Manager
A question, isn't these policemen are impure muslims, that need to be eliminated, in the eyes of purest of pure muslims of pak-is-satan

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
More such exposure is needed so that the scales fall off the eyes of the Pakistanis that these madrassas are not what they feel they are all about, but factories that aim at killing their children so that the Mullahs reign supreme fooling the people that their children are martyrs for their religion!

Forcibly indoctrinating the young to kill themselves, when the Mullahs themselves indulge in sodomy, rape and enjoy all the fruits of materialistic life is hardly religion!

The Mullahs should lead from the front and not take the behind!

Some leadership indeed!

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
This video will show what these damned Mullahs do.

Total hypocrites!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles