Naxals/Maoists Watch

Should the Indian government use armed forces against the naxals/maoists?

• Total voters

NikSha

Haha, these terrorists don't get it, do they? The "political" solution they got in Nepal was a sham, because Nepal didn't have resources to lay siege to these terrorists.. UNLIKE INDIA.

So here we are, delivering the best solution, just like we will in Kashmir and eventually, Pakistan.

ALSO, this "slamming" from them is a political suicide. Good luck convincing the world now that you aren't a bunch of terrorist freaks who support their types everywhere. Talk about PR nightmare..

Rage

DFI TEAM
I just love it when communists fight among each other.

Game, Set and match.

Pintu

Locals reveal Maoist terror tales - Kolkata - Cities - The Times of India

Locals reveal Maoist terror tales
28 Jun 2009, 0446 hrs IST, Krishnendu Bandyopadhyay, TNN

RAMGARH: Her son and daughter-in-law had fled to Midnapore town on June 15, the day when Maoists torched Ramgarh police station. But septuagenarian Renu Ray refused to leave her homestead land at Amladanga. Since then, the old woman is living by herself, with hardly anything to eat.

Her eyes glistened with hope as security forces marched past Alamdanga, the village close to Ramgarh. She welcomed the forces, but at the same time, was afraid of the consequences after they withdrew from the area. "I am cut off from my family, and the world outside. My landphone is dead and BSNL employees don't tread to this dreaded place. I am here taking care of the cattle that my son has left behind. The Maoists have been a curse upon us. Grocers won't open the shops lest PCPA men charge them hefty amounts. Some upped the shutters only today, when news spread that the central forces were coming to the area. But that was only for half an hour. They were closed as soon as the Maoists arrived at the market. I walked all the way from home to buy rations and didn't get any," Ray said.

This seems to be the other facet of the Maoist-dominated People's Committee Against Police Atrocities (PCPA), that had unleashed a reign of fear in the area to counter police terror. The disgruntled opened up only after the security forces marched into the area.

Another retired government employee, living in the area, grumbled over the extortions going on for all these months. "I am a retired government employee and survive on pension. These men would not spare me even. I had to give Rs 500 every month to these people who came to my house with guns. It's good that the forces have come to our rescue. They will come back again when forces leave the place," the retired employee said.

This was the common refrain among the womenfolk who were left at the mercy of PCPA, while the youths in the families fled from the villages. Jharna Das of Amladanga recounted how PCPA men forced them to join their meetings. "They won't allow us to venture out after sundown. The PCPA took control of the villages in the evening and asked us to join their meetings. They rebuked us if we didn't turn up in the meeting. Such was the rule. Our relatives stopped coming to our place," said Das.

Meet Sukumar Soren of Mohultol. A jawan of the state armed police posted at Barrackpore, Sukumar is now under cover. "I have not disclosed my identity here. What do I do? I have sent my wife and children to Sarenga. I am living here alone to protect my home and cattle. I don't want any confrontation with PCPA," said Soren.

There is no one to care for elderly residents such as Lakshmi Tudu (70) of Shiertola village, left to fate with her ailing husband for the last fortnight. "We are surviving on forest roots and kalmi sag. Buses have stopped plying since a fortnight. I can't take my husband to Goaltore, 10 km from here. Two days ago I pleaded with the local grocers to give me some rice. They refused, out of fear," Lakshmi said.

Pintu

Sweets & smiles for jawans - Kolkata - Cities - The Times of India

Sweets & smiles for jawans
28 Jun 2009, 0456 hrs IST, Krishnendu Bandyopadhyay, TNN

RAMGARH: As the security forces approached Ramgarh after fighting off Maoist ambushes, they saw hordes of villagers mostly women gathering at the
outskirts. The jawans tensed for another human shield. When they marched closer, however, they saw smiles on the villagers' faces, and tumblers of water in their hands.

A cheer went up as the forces entered the rain swept lanes of the village. Every policeman was served a glass of water, food and sweets by villagers. And, there was no trace of the PCPA.

It was the huge number of women gathering in the fields that set the forces on the edge as they approached Ramgarh. Resistance with the use of human shields was, after all, too fresh on their minds, having encountered such situations during operations in Kadashole, Amladanga and Shiartola. Not liking the prospect of fighting villagers yet again, they advanced cautiously for the last 1 km, with an obvious show of strength, hoping to scare the mob' into retreating.

Only when they came to within 200 metres did the security forces realize that none in the waiting crowd was armed. Instead of resisting them, the villagers welcomed them with open arms. People lined rooftops, waving and cheering at the forces. The water, food and smiles were a welcome relief for the weary and hungry police and paramilitary personnel.

They were surprised because the people of Ramgarh were initially with the PCPA. Its leaders lured them to their cause with the promise to fight against lack of development. Chhatradhar Mahato and other PCPA leaders rallied the villagers with the call to liberate Ramgarh from government's control'.

"When the PCPA first asked us to fight against economic deprivation, many in Ramgarh voluntarily participated in their movement," said a villager. But the people soon realized that there was no difference between the Maoists and the PCPA. They even accused PCPA of unleashing the Maoists on them.

People are now very angry and disillusioned with PCPA, but none would divulge their names while speaking to TOI, fearing that Maoists would target them. Seventy-year-old Satya Ray, the lone villager who spoke on record, accused Chhatradhar Mahato of amassing money. "He (Mahato) extorted huge sums of money from traders, government officials and even poor villagers and helped Maoists get a foothold in Ramgarh. We have been living in fear for eight months. Many PCPA activists moved around with arms," said Ray.

The people PCPA allegedly targeted for extortion were given handwritten notes Rs 10,000 for government employees and Rs 50,000 for traders. When the owner of a fertilizer shop at Barapelia refused to pay up, he was brought to a meeting at Sarasbedia where he was forced to hand over the money.

Now, villagers have stopped paying money to PCPA voluntarily, though its leaders continue with their extortion activities, Ray added.

What turned the tide against PCPA were the murders of two tribal youths in Kharanutu village in mid-May. The incident created panic across Ramgarh and no one would venture out for over a month. Even schools and markets rarely opened. Ramgarh was completely cut off after Maoists captured the phari on June 15. Teachers of Ramgarh College were threatened not to report to work.

The arrival of the forces has been a huge relief.

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Maoists kill Salwa Judum leader in Chhattisgarh

Raipur, June 28: Maoists killed a prominent member of the anti-Maoist civil militia movement, Salwa Judum, in Chhattisgarh's Bijapur district on Sunday, police said.

The incident took place in Bijapur district's Pinkonda area, some 450 km from state capital Raipur.

Somlu, 40, was attacked with sharp-edged weapons Sunday morning while he was on way to his house from a Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) camp where he had spent the night.

Maoists attacked Somlu, who belongs to the Muria tribe, repeatedly on his head, chest and back with sharp-edged weapons. He died instantly.

The controversial armed movement Salwa Judum was launched in June 2005. While the government says it is providing moral support to the movement, human rights groups claim the movement is backed by direct arms and monetary support of the government.

Maoists kill Salwa Judum leader in Chhattisgarh

Orissa police clears Maoist road-blockades

Bhubaneswar, June 28: About 125 villages under the Narayan Patna block of Koraput district, which were cut off from the rest of Orissa by Maoist guerrillas, have been made accessible, police said Sunday.

Of the three roads blocked by the rebels June 16, one road was cleared Saturday. The Maoist guerrillas fell more than 30 trees on the roads disconnecting Narayan Patna block from the district headquarters of Koraput.

"One road has been cleared. We hope to clear the other roads in the next few days," Deputy Inspector General of Police Sanjeeb Panda said.

"A large number of personnel of the Orissa Disaster Rapid Action Force (ODRAF) began work on the road three days ago and cleared it by Saturday evening," he said.

The block of villages in Koraput, about 500 km from state capital Bhubaneswar, has a population of over 40,000. Of them, 31,000 are tribals.

The workers were reluctant to clear the tree logs after nine policemen who attempted to clear the roads were killed June 18 by the guerrillas. The policemen were travelling in a jeep near Narayan Patna to clear the roads when the blast occurred. All of them died on the spot.

"Now the region is accessible. Deepak Kumar (district superintendent of police) also visited the site and the block headquarter of Narayan Patna to take stock of the situation after the road was cleared," Panda said.

The Narayan Patna block of Koraput district is a Maoist stronghold. Hundreds of acres of farm land was forcibly occupied by Maoist supporters from the non-tribals by hoisting red flags.

Hundreds of non-tribals have already left their homes as Maoists unleashed a reign of terror in the area.

Orissa police clears Maoist road-blockades

Pintu

Centre asks W. Bengal Government to ban Maoists under 1908 Act

ANI

Centre asks W. Bengal Government to ban Maoists under 1908 Act

2009-06-28 13:20:00

The UPA Government has reportedly asked the Left Front government in West Bengal to declare the CPI (Maoist) an "unlawful association" and ban it under a 1908 Act.

Home Ministry officials have advised the West Bengal government to outlaw the CPI (Maoist) because the UAP Act, under which it declared the outfit as banned on June 22, is essentially directed against unlawful associations that support secession.

"The Criminal Law Amendment Act, 1908 (CLAA) has a very different objective. It is directed against associations, which encourage or aid person to commit acts of violence or intimidation. The power is vested in the state government to declare an association as unlawful," a Home Ministry official said.

Union Home Minister P Chidambaram had said last week that the state government should ban the Maoists.

West Bengal Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee said the state government would enforce the Central ban, which reluctant Left Front partners also accepted after some persuasion by Bhattacharjee.

The Central Government advisory comes a day after security forces captured Ramgarh, an area under Maoists in a two-sided attack to reclaim areas in West Midnapore district.

Security forces had to face stiff resistance as Maoists had detonated landmines and opened gunfire.

Security forces headed from Lalgarh in the south and Kadasole in north on Friday, towards Ramgarh.

Ten companies consisting of 1000 men of the CRPF, the India Reserve Battalion and Rapid Action Force set out from Kadasole. They had to counter firing and three landmine explosions Maoists.

In response to the Maoist attacks, the security forces struck back with AK-47s, mortars and rocket propelled grenade launchers, the officer said.

A mine detection unit and a team from the District Intelligence Bureau preceded the security forces, which also comprised jungle warfare experts of the CRPF.

Maoists also burnt down an office of the All India Trade Union Congress, when they were not allowed to take refuge in the building shortly before the security forces entered Ramgarh. (ANI)

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Cartridges fished out of pond

Raipur: Nearly 300 cartridges, suspected to belong to Naxals, were recovered from a pond in Durg district on Friday, police said here on Saturday. Superintendent of Police Deepanshu Kabra told PTI that 270 cartridges were fished out from the pond, located near Chauranda village, on Friday evening. The cartridges, of 12 and 315 bore rifles which are largely used by Naxals, were kept in gunny bags, he said. Police suspect the Naxals may have dumped the gunny bags and people noticed it due to the dipping water level in the pond.

The Hindu : Other States / Chattisgarh News : Cartridges fished out of pond

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Two Maoists arrested near Lalgarh

Kolkata (PTI): Security forces arrested two Maoists while they were planting landmines at Sarenga in Bankura district near Lalgarh and recovered arms from them on Sunday.

"The two Maoists were caught red handed while they were fitting mines," Home Secretary Ardhendu Sen told reporters after attending a meeting convened by Chief Secretary Asok Mohan Chakrabarty to review the Lalgarh situation.

He, however, did not give details about the arms recovered from them.

In reply to a question, he said the joint forces were consolidating their presence at Ramgarh, where sanitisation operations were on along with Lalgarh and Kadasole.

A total 17 companies of central forces were in the area for the operations to flush out the Maoists, Sen said and hoped the Centre would comply with the state government's request for more forces

The Hindu News Update Service

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Tribal agitation continues in Bandhugaon

Staff Reporter

Some 120 acres of teak plantations near Gadbalsa village was destroyed

BERHAMPUR: Armed activists of the Chasi Mulia Adivasi Sangh (CMAS) unit active in Bandhugaon block of Koraput district destroyed two large private teak tree plantations on Saturday.

It may be noted that this Bandhugaon CMAS unit is separate from another CMAS unit active in adjacent Narayanpatna block of the district. Around 3,000 tribals and dalit supporters of the CMAS targeted over 220 acres of teak plantations of STM Plantations, an Andhra Pradesh based plantation company. Thousands of seven to eight-year-old teak trees grown by the plantation company were cut down.

Around 120 acres of teak plantations near Gadbalsa village and 100 acres of plantation near Almonda were destroyed. After cutting down the trees the CMAS activists ploughed up the land. They also took over the land planting red flags around them. Speaking over phone the convenor of the CMAS active in Bandhugaon, Ashok Mohanty said they are planning to sow food grains on the land taken over by them from the plantation companies. “It is a show of opposition to the policy of the government that is unable to provide land to landless tribals to grow food grains yet hundreds of acres of tribal land are being handed over to outsider private plantation companies,” he said.

Differences

There was no police force to oppose this destruction of teak plantations of private company by the CMAS activists. It may be noted that several areas of Bandhugaon block also remain cut off from outside world due to road blockades by felling of trees. Although it is part of Koraput district it now only approachable by a road from Rayagada district.

Mr. Mohanty also reiterated their differences with the CMAS group led by Nachika Linga active in adjoining Narayanpatna block of Koraput district although both were fighting for similar issues like land rights for landless tribals. It may be noted that both these groups have links with two different CPI (Marxist-Leninist) parties.

According to Mr. Mohanty unlike Mr. Lingas outfit they did not want to create division between the poor in the name of land rights for the tribals.

He alleged that in Narayanpatna poor dalits were also attacked due to allegations that they had taken over tribal land. “But in Bandhugaon we are sparing the economically backward dalits who are using land in tribal pockets as we know poor should not divide on the basis of caste”, Mr. Mohanty said.

He added that his group was in favour of democratic process and had fielded candidate from the Laxmipur Assembly seat.

He alleged that the CMAS group led by Mr. Linga was towing the Maoist line and it had held election boycott rally at Narayanpatna during last election process.

The Hindu : Other States / Orissa News : Tribal agitation continues in Bandhugaon

If i m not wrong this CMAS is having links with Maoists . Does anyone have some more Info ..

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Security forces launch final assault against Maoists in West Bengal
29 Jun 2009, 0933 hrs IST, PTI

LALGARH (WB): Launching their final offensive to reclaim areas held by the Maoists in West Midnapore district, security forces started marching towards Kantapahari from both Lalgarh and Ramgarh ends today.

The forces, comprising 1600 men of the CRPF, BSF, State Armed Police and India Reserve Battalion set out at around 7:00 am from Lalgarh and Ramgarh in a pincer movement, a senior CRPF officer said accompanying the forces.

Around 180 men of the CoBRA forces were accompanying the central forces and state police to sanitise areas, especially jungles. A helicopter was in the air to spot the Maoists from above.

"Taking Kantapahari is important for us, as it holds the key to the Maoist resistance in West Midnapore district," intelligence sources said

Security forces launch final assault against Maoists in West Bengal - India - The Times of India

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Maoists deny role in bank loot

Staff Reporter

BERHAMPUR: Maoists denied their involvement in the dacoity of the Machkund branch of State Bank of India (SBI). On Friday night a group of armed persons had looted Rs 6.27 lakhs from this SBI branch. It was suspected to be the handiwork of the naxals.

But through a press release sent to local media from the Koraput-Malkangiri Border Division of the CPI-Maoist, Uday, its secretary, said said they were not involved in this bank loot.

He alleged that it was a ploy to demean their organization and mass movement.

According to this Maoist leader the branches of nationalized banks in remote areas were working for the development of the poor. So, the naxals were not opposed to them.

The Hindu : Other States / Orissa News : Maoists deny role in bank loot

Bid to blast sub-jail building under construction

Staff Reporter

BERHAMPUR: Maoists made an attempt to blast the half-constructed building of a sub-jail at MV-79 village in Malkangiri district on Saturday midnight.

But they did not succeed in their attempt. The under construction building of jail did not suffer any damage. A group of around 25 armed naxals had reached the spot at around midnight.

They had planted landmines to blast the building. One blast occurred outside the building.

But it did not cause any damage to the half finished building of the jail.

Malkangiri SP Satyabrata Bhoi said although the naxals could not damage the building by their blast they had planted a booby trap for the police at the spot.Live bombs were planted inside the half constructed residential quarters meant for jail staff near the jail building.
The Hindu : Other States / Orissa News : Bid to blast sub-jail building under construction

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Security forces reach Maoist hub Kantapahari
29 Jun 2009, 1203 hrs IST, PTI

KANTAPAHARI (WEST BENGAL): Further consolidating their position in the Maoist-infested areas of West Midnapore district, central forces on Monday stormed Kantapahari, the hub of the Naxal-backed tribal agitation.

Completing one third of the operations, 1,600 personnel from the BSF, CRPF and special anti-naxal force CoBRA converged on the hamlet from Lalgarh and Ramgarh which were captured by paramilitary forces after remaining under control of the Maoists for eight months.

helicopter hovered in the air to spot the Maoists and help the personnel carry out their operation with precision.

DIG CID (Special Operations Group), Siddhinath Gupta said that the forces were now in Kantapahari, where a police camp existed in 2005 before being withdrawn. "A camp will be established here after all these years," he said.

DIG (Midanpore range) Praveen Kumar said the operations had not ended. "Entering Kantapahari was part of it."

A senior police officer, however, told PTI that one third of the operations were complete

Midnapore district police superintendent Manoj Verma said "There was no police in Kantapahari for the past several months. People have come forward to cooperate. We hope this cooperation will continue. We will establish the rule of law to solve the problem that has been plaguing this area for several months."

Kantapahari, besides the surrounding villages of Boropelia, Chottopelia and Dalilpur Chowk, were the places where the tribals backed by Maoists had launched their agitation in protest against police atrocities in November last year.

Security forces recently reclaimed Lalgarh police station from Maoist control.

Security forces reach Maoist hub Kantapahari - India - The Times of India

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Maoist supporters arrested in Jharkhand

Jamshedpur (PTI): Eleven supporters of CPI(Maoist) were arrested from Nimdih in Saraikela-Kharawan district of Jharkhand on Monday.

They were arrested while distributing leaflets in support of the Maoist movement at Lalgarh in West Bengal, SP Sheetal Oraon told PTI.

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Halt operations in Lalgarh: Mamata to Centre

Kolkata (PTI): Claiming that the Lalgarh operations were CPI(M)'s bid to recapture the area, Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee on Monday said she had told the Centre to convene an emergent meeting to "sort out" the issue and halt the crackdown by security forces.

"I have urged the Centre to immediately convene an emergency meeting to be attended by Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee, Home Minister P Chidambaram and myself to sort out the issue and restore peace and democracy," she said.

A blueprint of the recapture of the areas has been drawn up by CPI(M) at the state party headquarters at the behest of Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee, she alleged.

"I talked to Pranab Mukherjee yesterday and today about the Lalgarh situation. I submitted a report to him about the state-sponsored torture and gave the names of villages.

What is actually happening should be probed."

Ms. Banerjee said she had also spoken to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.

"I am once again urging the central government not to provide support to the CPI(M) at Lalgarh and use central forces instead to unearth illegal arms stocked by the party in Keshpur, Garbeta (in West Midnapore) for use them against our workers," the Railway minister told reporters here.

Multi-pronged strategy needed to tackle Maoists: Centre

Ranchi (PTI): The Centre on Monday said a multi-pronged strategy is needed to counter the Maoist menace as the ultras keep moving from one area to another.

"They are a very mobile kind of group. They move from one area to the other. Security is one of the various areas which we are looking into, besides the development aspect," Union Cabinet secretary K M Chandrashekhar said here.

As security is a major concern the Centre is monitoring the situation from various angles in Delhi, he said.

"The home ministry is preparing plans which will unfold itself from time to time. And we cannot divulge them," Chandrasekhar, who was here heading a high-level central team to meet Jharkhand officials, said.

Underlining that forest right was one of the crucial issues which should be taken care of, he asked Jharkhand to create awareness about it in the interest of the tribals.

"Only 4,000 to 4,500 applications from tribals have been received for forest rights. The state has agreed to embark on a publicity campaign to spread awareness on forest rights," he said in the presence of Jharkhand chief secretary A K Basu.

Apparently unhappy with the progress in some naxal-affected districts, Mr. Chandrasekhar said he might visit the state again in October and meet the district deputy commissioners of affected areas.

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Three suspected Maoists arrested by police in Bankura

Bankura (WB) (PTI): Three suspected Maoists were arrested on Monday in Majuria village of Bankura district bordering West Midnapore district, police said.

Superintendent of Police Vishal Garg said the three persons, suspected to be Maoists, were arrested in Majuria village of the district which is near Lalgarh in West Midnapore district where security forces have launched an operation to clear the area of Naxalites.

Mr. Garg said the police were interrogating the trio.

Security forces had arrested two Maoists while they were planting landmines at Sarenga in Bankura district on Sunday.

Pintu

Maoist stronghold seized - India - The Times of India

Maoist stronghold seized
30 Jun 2009, 0434 hrs IST, Krishnendu Bandopadhyay & Arnab Ganguly, TNN

LALGARH: Forty-eight hours after Ramgarh was captured, the Maoist stronghold of Kantapahari, too, was seized by security forces without any resistance on Monday morning. Two armed contingents marched into Maoist stronghold from Lalgarh and Ramgarh, aiming to mow down insurgents from two ends. But barring a mine blast, in which no one was injured, a few felled trees and dug up roads, there was no sign of opposition. Three mines were detected at Shijua, two of which were defused.

With Kantapahari now under control, the inner circle of the area that was lost to the Maoists has now been won back. PCPA leader Chhatra-dhar Mahato is believed to have fled to Bankura. With the fall of Kantapahari, the 25km road connecting Lalgarh to Goaltore has now been opened. The major Maoist bases have been conquered, and police have decided to resume bus services in the area. Administrative offices will be reopened while developmental work will begin as well.

It was exactly at 6.30am that a contingent of state armed police, BSF and CRPF started for Kantapahari from Lalgarh, led by a road clearance party which swept 500 metres beyond the road on either side to check for mines.

Most houses were deserted but the troops encountered the first — and only — obstacle 800 metres from Patha-rdanga. The Ramgarh force, on other hand, closed in from the north. They had apprehended resistance in areas like Khasjangal, Dharampur and Kantapahari.

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Commander surrenders

KHAMMAM: The CPI (ML) Praja Pratighatana (Mohan group) deputy dalam commander, Mahesh alias Nallamothu Venkateswarlu surrendered before the superintendent of police on Friday. He came out of the party with a view to joining the main stream of the society and lead normal life thanks to the counselling exercise taken up by the police involving the kin of the naxalites.

Mahesh surrendered to the police for the first time in 2007. But later he had allegedly killed his cousin Krishna alias Vikram and went underground. He is wanted in connection with many extortion cases.

The Hindu : Andhra Pradesh / Khammam News : Commander surrenders

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Combing operations on in 22 Lalgarh villages

Kantapahari (WB), June 30: Security forces on Tuesday worked to further consolidate their grip over Maoist-held areas in West Mindapore district and launched combing operations in 22 villages of Lalgarh.

With Kantapahari recaptured, all borders of Lalgarh had been sealed, a senior police officer said.

"Now we want to ensure that the extremists do not come back to the area. We are consolidating the position we have gained so far," the police officer said.

He said the Maoists might have left West Midnapore district and retreated into neighbouring Jharkhand after Kantapahari, the ultras' last stronghold in Lalgarh, fell to security forces yesterday.

As the operations against the Maoists entered the 13th day, central forces and police are now engaged in sanitising all 22 villages of Lalgah.

Yesterday, the forces searched Baropelia, Chotopelia, Dalilpur chowk and other villages for suspected Maoists and possible arms and ammunition.

The police suspects that Maoists may still be present in some pockets like Sejua, Koima and Kalimuri.

At Salgora village in the Sejua area, the forces recovered ammunition and also detained three suspected Maoists.

A correspondent went through 12 villages yesterday and found there were hardly any people left except some old and infirm persons.

Starting their operation on June 18, the security forces have gained control over Pirakata, Bhimpur, Lalgarh, Ramgarh and Kantapahari.

A task force comprising eight secretaries is scheduled to arrive today in Lalgarh to oversee development work in tribal areas and help the government prepare an economic development package for them.

Bureau Report

Combing operations on in 22 Lalgarh villages

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Countering Maoists

Countering Maoists

B. RAMAN

The continuing inability of the government --whether at the centre or in the states-- to counter effectively the spread of the activities of the Maoist insurgents-cum-terrorists has once again been demonstrated by the temporary control established by the Communist Party of India (Maoist) and its front organisation called the People's Committee Against Police Atrocities (PCPA) over 17 out of 118 small villages spread across some 300 square kilometres in the Lalgarh area of the state of West Bengal ruled by a coalition headed by the Communist Party of India (Marxist).

The People's Committee, with the backing or at the instigation of the Communist Party of India (Maoist), exploited local anger over alleged police excesses against the tribals following an alleged Maoist attempt to kill the Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee through a landmine blast in November last year.

What started as a protest movement against police excesses against the local tribals was transformed by the Maoists into a violent political movement for establishing their writ over the villages in the Lalgarh area of West Midnapore distict. The hesitation of the governments of West Bengal and India to act strongly against the Maoist-instigated Committee at the very beginning apparently due to electoral considerations arising from the recently-concluded elections to the Lok Sabha, the lower House of the Indian Parliament, was exploited by the committee and the Maoists, with the reported help of Maoists from the adjoining states of Jharkhand and Orissa, to strengthen their control over these villages.

The transformation of the ostensibly human rights movement into a political movement for a confrontation with the state is evident from the demands put forward by Gour Chakraborty, the CPI-Maoist's spokesman, in an interview to rediff.com on June 18, 2009, after the state government forces, with the help of para-military forces of the government of India started counter-insurgency operations to eject the Maoists from the villages controlled by them. The security forces have already succeeded in ejecting the Maoists and their supporters from many of the villages earlier controlled by them. In his interview, Chakraborty spelt out the the three main demands of the Maoists as follows: "Central and state forces must be withdrawn from the entire area; the state government must officially apologise to the tribals for its torture and misbehaviour and it should immediately put an end to police atrocities."

While reiterating the government of India's policy of being willing for talks with the Maoists on their legitimate demands if and when they give up the resort to violence, the government of India as evidence of its determination to put down the Maoist activities firmly has banned the Communist Party of India (Maoist) after designating it as a terrorist organisation. The ban order was issued on June 22, 2009, under Section 41 of the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act.

The CPI (Maoist) was formed in 2004 through the merger of the Communist Party of India (Marxist-Leninist), the People's War Group (PWG) and the Maoist Communist Centre (MCC). The earlier ban order had covered these organisations, but after their merger to form the CPI (Maoist), no specific order had been issued to bring the CPI (Maoist) under its purview. This lacuna has been sought to be filled up now by banning specifically the CPI (Maoist) and its front organisations.

The CPI (Maoist) is a partly political, partly insurgent and partly terrorist organisation. It believes in the Maoist strategy of capturing political power with the help of a well-motivated and well-trained army of the impoverished rural masses.It has been using the tribal areas in the mineral rich central and east India, where the tribals have long been subjected to political ,economic and social discrimination and where alleged instances of police excesses have been frequent, for the recruitment of its cadres and for establishing operational bases from where attacks could be launched against small and big towns to capture arms and ammunition from the police and para-military forces. As an insurgent organisation, it believes in establishing its control over territory " liberated' by it. As a terrorist organisation, it differs from other terrorist organisations. It indulges in targeted killings of security forces personnel and its perceived class and political enemies. It does not indulge in indiscriminate killing of civilians (non-combatants), who do not come under any of these categories.

Since Dr Manmohan Singh came to power as the Prime Minister in 2004, he and his government have been projecting the Maoists as the greatest internal security threat faced by India and calling for and promising a special strategy to counter them through co-ordinated action involving the government of India and the governments of the states in whose territory the Maoists are active. The Congress (I) had appointed in 2004 a special task force of the party to go into the Maoist activities in the Congress (I) ruled Andhra Pradesh to come out with suitable recommendations for dealing with the Maoist activities.

Till now, one does not see any sign of a suitable strategy emerging. Before evolving such a strategy, one has to understand the basic differences between Maoist insurgency/terrorism and jihadi terrorism. Firstly, the Maoist terrorism is an almost totally rural phenomenon, whereas jihadi terrorism is a largely urban phenomenon. Secondly, Maoist terrorism is a totally indigenous phenomenon motivated by domestic grievances and a domestic political agenda. Jihadi terrorism is externally sponsored or aided by the intelligence agencies of Pakistan and Bangladesh and is motivated by their strategic agenda. Jihadi terrorism is a cross border threat to national security. Maoist terrorism is not.

While the leaders of the Maoists are motivated largely by their desire to seek political power through a Maoist style People's War similar to the war waged by their counterparts in Nepal, their cadres and foot soldiers fighting for them are largely motivated by genuine grievances arising from the political, economic and social hardships faced by them. It is our long neglect to develop the tribal areas which has created large pockets of alienation against the government and these pockets have become the spawning ground of Maoist terrorism.

We cannot have the same strategy for dealing with Maoist activities as we have for dealing with jihadi terrorism. We have to take note of the genuine grievances of the tribals and deal with them in a sympathetic manner. We should not dismiss summarily their allegations of police excesses. There has to be a machinery for a prompt enquiry into these allegations. Maoist terrorism cannot be effectively countered without modernising and strengthening our rural policing and the rural presence of the intelligence agencies. The tribal areas, which have not yet been affected by the Maoist virus, have to be developed on a crash basis in order to prevent the spread of the virus to them. The capabilities of the security agencies deployed for countering the Maoist activities have to be different from those of the urban counter-terrorism agencies. The emphasis has to be on greater mobility in the rural areas with very little road infrastructure at present and greater protection from landmines used extensively by the Maoists.Our failure to develop the road infrastructure in the rural areas has facilitated the spread of Maoist terrorism by taking advantage of the lack of mobility of the security forces.

The jihadis increasingly attack soft targets. The Maoists don't. They mainly attack police stations, police lines, camps and arms storage depots of para-military forces in order to demoralise the security forces and capture their arms and ammunition. The repeated success of the Maoists in mounting large-scale surprise attacks on such hard targets speaks of the poor state of rural policing and intelligence set-up and the equally poor state of physical security.

Unfortunately, instead of working out an appropriate strategy which will address these operational deficiencies and at the same time pay equal attention to the political handling of the problem, there is an unwise tendency to militarise the counter-Maoist insurgency management by adopting methods similar to those followed by the British in dealing with the Communist insurgency in Malaya after the Second World War. This will prove counter-productive.

It is time for the government to have a re-think on the way we have been dealing with this problem in order to have a tailor-made strategy based on improvement of political management, strengthening rural policing and rural intelligence and developing capacities for rural operations with emphasis on mobile as well as on static security.

B. Raman is Additional Secretary (retd), Cabinet Secretariat, Govt. of India, New Delhi, and, presently, Director, Institute For Topical Studies, Chennai.

I-G

Tihar Jail
Banned
Forces dig out 18-kg IED near Goaltore forest
1 Jul 2009, 0442 hrs IST, Arnab Ganguly, TNN

KANTAPAHARI: It's a clear indication that the Lalgarh operation is far from over. A day after encircling the Maoist-dominated Kantapahari, security forces recovered an 18-kg IED with double detonators, planted four feet deep in the Khiyamachha forests, 2 km from Goaltore at the Bankura end.

The fact that the Maoists were entrenched among the villagers in Kantapahari and beyond was quite evident from their reaction over the movement of combined forces. Unlike in Lalgarh market, where a section of villagers welcomed the forces the other day, some in Kantaphari were forthcoming in lodging complaints against police forces.

Jabamani Hansda had shut her doors as she saw the forces entering their village. "As I peeped through the window, I saw my neighbour's pumping set in flames," Hansda said. The forces allegedly ransacked Gopinath Hansda's house, damaged parts of it, and torched Gopi's pumpset. This was not all. They picked up Gopinath and his son Dewan, much to the surprise of his neighbours.

Gopinath's niece, Phulrenu, had fled to the relief camp at Kantapahari, days before the forces came. "I took shelter at the Kantapahari relief camp. I was surprised to see this when I came back to my house," said Phulrenu.

But this was not the perception among villagers at Dalilpur, Laldanga, close to Kantapahari. Families have started coming back and villages are slowly returning to normal. Villagers walked all the way to collect rice that the administration was distributing, 6 kg per family.

Police are now busy setting up camps in the area and are waiting for another five companies of central forces to reach Lalgarh, before they resume operation at Jangalmahal.

Forces dig out 18-kg IED near Goaltore forest - Kolkata - Cities - The Times of India

Global Defence

New threads

Articles