My review---Mulk

ashdoc

Country flag

• 'Mulk' is the archetypal Bollywood view about the involvement of muslims in terrorism . Nothing more was expected from Bollywood than the usual stuff 'proving' that muslims are honest to God citizens who are victims of a prejudiced mindset of the majority hindu community . This , inspite of the fact that the family that is focus of the movie has one member actively involved in terrorism .

• The member of the family who is actively involved in terrorism is Shahid Mohammad ( played by Prateik Babbar ) , who is son of Bilal (played by Manoj Pahwa ) and nephew of head of the family Murad Ali Mohammad ( played by Rishi Kapoor ) . Shahid is under the influence of a terrorist called Mehfooz Alam ( played by Sumit Kaul ) and takes part in a bomb blast that kills 16 people . He spews total jihadi rhetoric from his mouth before he is packed to hell by police officer Danish Javed ( played by Rajat Kapoor ) in his hideout where the shootout takes place . Danish orders Shahid's body to be dragged on the street to make an example of him before the assembled muslim crowd , so that they realise the fate of anyone who joins the path of terror .

• The whole drama is played out mostly in Varanasi . Naturally Shahid's family is under suspicion and the police arrest his father Bilal and even try to implicate his uncle Murad in terror charges . But the family has a hindu daughter in law called Aarti ( played by Tapsee Pannu ) who is also fortuitously a lawyer . She decides to fight the case defending the two brothers---Bilal and Murad . This inspite of her parents warning her not to get involved .

• Outside the courtroom hindu nationalists have already begun targeting the family and 'Go to Pak' is written on the walls of the house after it is pelted with stones . Some of their hindu neighbours also begin to taunt them and their children are joining the hindu nationalist brigade . Sinister music is played wherever the hindu nationalists make their appearance .

• In the courtroom the prosecuting lawyer Santosh Anand ( played by Ashutosh Rana ) is allowed to spout the usual clichés against muslims---that they have 4 wives , that they breed too many children , that they do not educate themselves , that it is customary among muslims to send one of their family into terrorism activities , that because of low education they are jobless . He glares his eyes wide while spouting his words and has probably been instructed by the director ( Anubhav Sinha ) to deliberately overact and make loud melodramatic statements and gestures . Actually such clichés are commonly said only in living room discussions and would not be permissible in court . But amazingly the judge ( played by Kumud Mishra ) allows this type of talk even though repeated objections are raised against this by the defence counsel . Obviously the whole idea is to show that anti muslim prejudice is inbuilt among lawyers and judiciary in India and that the whole system is against muslims . The director creates a false picture that these kind of clichés about muslims are allowed to be mouthed in Indian courts , thereby vilifying Indian lawyers and their mindset through the character of Santosh Anand .

• But Aarti makes an effective defence and disproves every accusation of Santosh by pointing out the charges against the two brothers are not backed by real evidence but by the suspicion that a muslim terrorist's family must also be terrorist . That if we remove the idea of painting every muslim as terrorist from our mind then we will realise that all charges are due to our prejudices . She proves that even muslim police officer Danish Javed has prejudice against his own community in his mind and that is why he killed Shahid and had his body dragged through the street even though he could have simply arrested him . Murad makes a dramatic speech in court asking Santosh ( who had earlier said that muslims are welcome in India ) not to welcome him into his own country as if he is a guest . The judge does come to understand this point of view and dismisses the charges . Murad's son had earlier asked him to shift to London , but Murad had refused saying that this 'mulk' ( nation ) is his and he has every right to stay . Murad's stand is thus vindicated .

• Acting wise , Rishi Kapoor acts well as Murad and throws some passion into his acting . Tapsee Pannu is okay . Background music is decent and colours and photography are okay . The atmosphere of a mohalla of Benaras is well created . But one wonders what was wrong in killing Shahid and dragging his body through the street . As Danish says before killing Shahid , if he is kept alive Shahid will become a media star like Kasab became . And my opinion concurs with that ; in fact the Indian police will be reduced to feeding him biryani like Kasab was fed daily .

• Verdict---Decent .

• Three stars out of five .

Last edited:

Adioz

शक्तिः दुर्दम्येच्छाशक्त्याः आगच्छति
  • 'Mulk' is the archetypal Bollywood view about the involvement of muslims in terrorism . Nothing more was expected from Bollywood than the usual stuff 'proving' that muslims are honest to God citizens who are victims of a prejudiced mindset of the majority hindu community . This , inspite of the fact that the family that is focus of the movie has one member actively involved in terrorism .
In the courtroom the prosecuting lawyer Santosh Anand ( played by Ashutosh Rana ) is allowed to spout the usual clichés against muslims---that they have 4 wives , that they breed too many children , that they do not educate themselves , that it is customary among muslims to send one of their family into terrorism activities , that because of low education they are jobless . He glares his eyes wide while spouting his words and has probably been instructed by the director ( Anubhav Sinha ) to deliberately overact and make loud melodramatic statements and gestures . Actually such clichés are commonly said only in living room discussions and would not be permissible in court . But amazingly the judge ( played by Kumud Mishra ) allows this type of talk even though repeated objections are raised against this by the defence counsel . Obviously the whole idea is to show that anti muslim prejudice is inbuilt among lawyers and judiciary in India and that the whole system is against muslims . The director creates a false picture that these kind of clichés about muslims are allowed to be mouthed in Indian courts , thereby vilifying Indian lawyers and their mindset through the character of Santosh Anand .
Why am I not surprised? The trailer gave this away, just as it gave away in the entire story. Bollywood needs to stop spewing soft propaganda that helps the enemies of India. Luckily for us, South Indian cinema is not suffering from this disease.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
This story must have been conceptualised during the beef lynching controversy, writers/directors must have thought at that time the topic would be still in vogue at the time of film release. which is not the case, media except for libtards have moved on.

Mangal

Country flag
I took a pledge long ago not to watch broth*lwood movie ever , but I watched dangal and mountain man manjhi that too on laptop after careful review.
The last movie i saw of b wood in cinema was in 2009.
Hollywood makes way better movies anyway.
I was really really angry at jodha Akbar movie the b wood show it as a love story ,the tragedy of our princess forced to become 1000th girl to sleep with that "SECULAR" bar ,made me and my friends from Haryana to never watch a brothelwood movie in cinema.
I felt the same way. Rarely watch Bollywood

dhananjay1

I took a pledge long ago not to watch broth*lwood movie ever , but I watched dangal and mountain man manjhi that too on laptop after careful review.
The last movie i saw of b wood in cinema was in 2009.
Hollywood makes way better movies anyway.
I was really really angry at jodha Akbar movie the b wood show it as a love story ,the tragedy of our princess forced to become 1000th girl to sleep with that "SECULAR" bar ,made me and my friends from Haryana to never watch a brothelwood movie in cinema.
I watch bollywood movies from time to time purely to check out what kind of propaganda they are churning out. Most of them have no entertainment value and look like pale imitation of hollywood movies. Earlier also they used to copy hollywood but still retained a lot of desi flavour. Now it's all sterile from dialogue, attitude to mannerism.

Pulkit

Satyameva Jayate "Truth Alone Triumphs"
Country flag
Thanks for the review. Earlier I was planning to watch it but now I gonna take a pass on this one.
Thanks for saving many like me.

• The member of the family who is actively involved in terrorism is Shahid Mohammad ( played by Prateik Babbar ) , who is son of Bilal (played by Manoj Pahwa ) and nephew of head of the family Murad Ali Mohammad ( played by Rishi Kapoor ) . Shahid is under the influence of a terrorist called Mehfooz Alam ( played by Sumit Kaul ) and takes part in a bomb blast that kills 16 people . He spews total jihadi rhetoric from his mouth before he is packed to hell by police officer Danish Javed ( played by Rajat Kapoor ) in his hideout where the shootout takes place . Danish orders Shahid's body to be dragged on the street to make an example of him before the assembled muslim crowd , so that they realise the fate of anyone who joins the path of terror .

• The whole drama is played out mostly in Varanasi . Naturally Shahid's family is under suspicion and the police arrest his father Bilal and even try to implicate his uncle Murad in terror charges . But the family has a hindu daughter in law called Aarti ( played by Tapsee Pannu ) who is also fortuitously a lawyer . She decides to fight the case defending the two brothers---Bilal and Murad . This inspite of her parents warning her not to get involved .

• Outside the courtroom hindu nationalists have already begun targeting the family and 'Go to Pak' is written on the walls of the house after it is pelted with stones . Some of their hindu neighbours also begin to taunt them and their children are joining the hindu nationalist brigade . Sinister music is played wherever the hindu nationalists make their appearance .

• In the courtroom the prosecuting lawyer Santosh Anand ( played by Ashutosh Rana ) is allowed to spout the usual clichés against muslims---that they have 4 wives , that they breed too many children , that they do not educate themselves , that it is customary among muslims to send one of their family into terrorism activities , that because of low education they are jobless . He glares his eyes wide while spouting his words and has probably been instructed by the director ( Anubhav Sinha ) to deliberately overact and make loud melodramatic statements and gestures . Actually such clichés are commonly said only in living room discussions and would not be permissible in court . But amazingly the judge ( played by Kumud Mishra ) allows this type of talk even though repeated objections are raised against this by the defence counsel . Obviously the whole idea is to show that anti muslim prejudice is inbuilt among lawyers and judiciary in India and that the whole system is against muslims . The director creates a false picture that these kind of clichés about muslims are allowed to be mouthed in Indian courts , thereby vilifying Indian lawyers and their mindset through the character of Santosh Anand .

• But Aarti makes an effective defence and disproves every accusation of Santosh by pointing out the charges against the two brothers are not backed by real evidence but by the suspicion that a muslim terrorist's family must also be terrorist . That if we remove the idea of painting every muslim as terrorist from our mind then we will realise that all charges are due to our prejudices . She proves that even muslim police officer Danish Javed has prejudice against his own community in his mind and that is why he killed Shahid and had his body dragged through the street even though he could have simply arrested him . Murad makes a dramatic speech in court asking Santosh ( who had earlier said that muslims are welcome in India ) not to welcome him into his own country as if he is a guest . The judge does come to understand this point of view and dismisses the charges . Murad's son had earlier asked him to shift to London , but Murad had refused saying that this 'mulk' ( nation ) is his and he has every right to stay . Murad's stand is thus vindicated .

• Acting wise , Rishi Kapoor acts well as Murad and throws some passion into his acting . Tapsee Pannu is okay . Background music is decent and colours and photography are okay . The atmosphere of a mohalla of Benaras is well created . But one wonders what was wrong in killing Shahid and dragging his body through the street . As Danish says before killing Shahid , if he is kept alive Shahid will become a media star like Kasab became . And my opinion concurs with that ; in fact the Indian police will be reduced to feeding him biryani like Kasab was fed daily .

• Verdict---Decent .

• Three stars out of five .

Haldiram

Country flag
Hey guys rate the movies on imdb and book my show. It effects their business. Yesterday imdb rating was 6.7 today it has come to 5.4 while they are doing good on book my show with 83 percent down from 84 from yesterday. Do take time to rate and spread the word. Here is the imdb link.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt7618184/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
A lot of people who watch bollywood movies don't care about the quality of content. For them, the movie going experience itself is something they pay for. Many of them are young college goers who have just started getting their pocket money and hanging out at theaters and food courts. Just going to the multiplex, clicking pictures with their food and posting on Instagram gets them a dopamine rush. If they cared about good content, they'd have naturally stopped watching after their first bad experience, and many people do that.

Movie makers have realized it and started making niche content and posting it as web series to organically grow an audience of indie movie watchers. Anything that is made for the masses will always be bad quality content. Even Hollywood has lost its story telling capacity and surrendered everything to a weak plot and heavy CGI.

Pulkit

Country flag
A lot of people who watch bollywood movies don't care about the quality of content. For them, the movie going experience itself is something they pay for. Many of them are young college goers who have just started getting their pocket money and hanging out at theaters and food courts. Just going to the multiplex, clicking pictures with their food and posting on Instagram gets them a dopamine rush. If they cared about good content, they'd have naturally stopped watching after their first bad experience, and many people do that.

Movie makers have realized it and started making niche content and posting it as web series to organically grow an audience of indie movie watchers. Anything that is made for the masses will always be bad quality content. Even Hollywood has lost its story telling capacity and surrendered everything to a weak plot and heavy CGI.
True man.... But to know the propaganda being spread one has to watch such movies to counter and spread awareness.

They need to be dealt. I just wish there was another option of watching it instead of going to Big Screens and contributing in there success.... :p

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
I decided to not to watch this movie after seeing Anubhav Sinha and Taapasee Pannu's movie launch interview perhaps this one :-

It is clear that Bollywood also has a parallel system like "Vote Bank Politics" i.e. if you make a pro-Muslim movie with blind idealism; Muslims including many "liberal" Hindus will make it a hit for sure. Lets give it a name so that the word can be spread.

Last edited:

Haldiram

Country flag
True man.... But to know the propaganda being spread one has to watch such movies to counter and spread awareness.

They need to be dealt. I just wish there was another option of watching it instead of going to Big Screens and contributing in there success.... :p
Torrent.

I used to do that earlier but it just felt like a waste of bandwidth, even when the bandwidth was free.

Pulkit

Country flag
No to torrent my friend.
And yes its a waste of free data even... :)

Torrent.

I used to do that earlier but it just felt like a waste of bandwidth, even when the bandwidth was free.

Haldiram

Country flag
No to torrent my friend.
And yes its a waste of free data even... :)
Once a media house gives in to the lure of catering to the masses, the product is inevitably bad. Good content can only be found in indie movies because it is designed for a niche audience with a particular taste. Even Hollywood has deteriorated in quality after then gave up their emphasis on good story telling in favor of CGI products. Compare Shawshank Redemption, Silence of the Lambs, to any of the CGI pumped superhero movies they have churned out in the last 5 years. Not even worth the space it occupies on the hard disk after downloading.

This movie Mulk wanted to capitalize on the "rising intolerance" market. That narrative has been countered by the RW and the movie missed the bus.

Mangal

Country flag

I agree with the point that even hollywood is unable to come up with good movies. Coming back on the ratings on imdb I believe that it's kind of war of narratives. Sites like imdb and rotten tomatoes are accessed by users world wide. No movie with poor ratings would invite Indian as well as western librelas to set it as example of what is happening in this country. As regarding book my show app is concerned people decide which movie to go after reading the reviews. This is especially true for office goers people like me. And even if all my assumptions are wrong. There is no harm in trying and making our voices heard. BTW.. imdb rating has now come down to 5.3. I hope this movie ends up with 3 and below.

pruthvi24

Country flag
Let me make some quick points
1)Anubhav Sinha was involved in sting operation where he produced films using black money and turn them into white
2)having said the process of turning black into white using Anubhav Sinha as a tool is risky process because most of his films are flop it would be smart if these producers by pay tax lose some money instead of al of it
3)as far as mulk is concerned the film wanted to capitalize on the fake narrative of intolerance they conducted fake surveys tried to instigate hindus like it happened with padmavat so that they can make money
4)there was conference where delibraty some journalist asked some provocative questions so that movie becomes hindu muslim thing but thankfully I didn't happen
5) lastly and most importantly the film collection all over India in first three days is less than kichha sudeep's Kannada film hebbuli first day collection
6)moral of the story ignore attention seeking idiots let them for slow and painful death

Illusive

Country flag
Let me make some quick points
1)Anubhav Sinha was involved in sting operation where he produced films using black money and turn them into white
2)having said the process of turning black into white using Anubhav Sinha as a tool is risky process because most of his films are flop it would be smart if these producers by pay tax lose some money instead of al of it
3)as far as mulk is concerned the film wanted to capitalize on the fake narrative of intolerance they conducted fake surveys tried to instigate hindus like it happened with padmavat so that they can make money
4)there was conference where delibraty some journalist asked some provocative questions so that movie becomes hindu muslim thing but thankfully I didn't happen
5) lastly and most importantly the film collection all over India in first three days is less than kichha sudeep's Kannada film hebbuli first day collection
6)moral of the story ignore attention seeking idiots let them for slow and painful death
Very well said, at the end of the day, these guys are there to make money, when they see they dont , they will get back in line. But it's not like bollywood doesn't make patriotic films. Hollywood make movies that suck up to china, so it's not like bollywood is the only one that caters to some agenda. It's just about publicity and getting attention so that they can rake enough money. They spend so much money on promotions you wouldn't believe.

Let's take it case by case.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles