Mobiles, Gadgets and Gizmos

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
I may consider Android, any suggestions on Dell Streak?
As I heard, that 5" inch shape it too odd to fit in your pocket & carry around comfortably. Also 1GHz processor will become underpowered in 6 months or so. Rest features can be better judged by regular user.

maomao

Veteran Hunter of Maleecha
Country flag
Ok ernesto I will wait for dual core!

@ Nrj

Last edited by a moderator:

mattster

Respected Member
Country flag
I dont think there is any reason to debate this:

I recently switched phones and went thru the process of checking out various smartphones - Android, Blackberry and even Windows based.

Hands down the winner is the Iphone4. Its not even close when you compare the whole package. if you just look at OS part - Android is OK.

But if you look at the number of free Apps available on Iphone - its way ahead. The Iphone touch screen Display beats anything currently out there.

maomao

Country flag
The whole debate is about a good smartphone and OS other than iPhone, hope you read the first post. :)

Oracle

Sorry for going offtopic! :D

Last edited by a moderator:

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
I dont think there is any reason to debate this:

I recently switched phones and went thru the process of checking out various smartphones - Android, Blackberry and even Windows based.

Hands down the winner is the Iphone4. Its not even close when you compare the whole package. if you just look at OS part - Android is OK.

But if you look at the number of free Apps available on Iphone - its way ahead. The Iphone touch screen Display beats anything currently out there.
how's the antenna working then ? hands down ? :lol:

apples app store is also filled with thousands of rubbish apps...id say you can get all the apps you want in android also. and apple's app store had a headstart and now android app market is growing at a faster rate.

android > apple > windows > blackberry

gogbot

Thanks Pmaitra, gogbot, nrj and Ernesto......btw I am not an I phone fan!! :)

What are your views on Windows 7 OS?
I am really impressed with the UI on the Windows phones , it is far superior to what android has now.

And i stress now , because android is changing as fast as Computing was changing in the 90's.
New OS versions practically come out every year. If you get your self an Android phone with the Stock Android OS running on it like the Nexus one or the Nexus S it would be a benefit as patches come out relatively quickly.

Android phones right now , are best for you if your willing to invest a few hours tinkering with it to get the most out of your OS and Hardware, Due to the open source nature of the hardware , there are wide range of use developed apps and mods to make the phone better suited to your personal needs and tastes. It is also easier to pirate apps on android , which useful at times.

However if you just want a phone to use , little hazels , minimum time investment , not really that interested in making the optimum use of hardware or software.
you would not go wrong with a Windows phone , if you own an xbox that's just a cherry on top. However don't buy a phone and expect to be able to tweak and modify it. At least not yet. Generally you can only expect a lot of 1st part apps for the Windows phones , due to the mass number of Iphones there are plenty of 3rd part apps for it and Android really has little of both , a few iphone app ports and a larger selection of independent apps.

Buy the HTC manufactured phone they are usually the best, in my opinion.

Just make sure whatever phone you buy , you get a good mobile internet plan.
for a Rs.99 a month vodaphone gives me 2 gb net usage.

What ever you do don't get an iphone.

maomao

Country flag
I am really impressed with the UI on the Windows phones , it is far superior to what android has now.

And i stress now , because android is changing as fast as Computing was changing in the 90's.
New OS versions practically come out every year. If you get your self an Android phone with the Stock Android OS running on it like the Nexus one or the Nexus S it would be a benefit as patches come out relatively quickly.

Android phones right now , are best for you if your willing to invest a few hours tinkering with it to get the most out of your OS and Hardware, Due to the open source nature of the hardware , there are wide range of use developed apps and mods to make the phone better suited to your personal needs and tastes. It is also easier to pirate apps on android , which useful at times.

However if you just want a phone to use , little hazels , minimum time investment , not really that interested in making the optimum use of hardware or software.
you would not go wrong with a Windows phone , if you own an xbox that's just a cherry on top. However don't buy a phone and expect to be able to tweak and modify it. At least not yet. Generally you can only expect a lot of 1st part apps for the Windows phones , due to the mass number of Iphones there are plenty of 3rd part apps for it and Android really has little of both , a few iphone app ports and a larger selection of independent apps.

Buy the HTC manufactured phone they are usually the best, in my opinion.

Just make sure whatever phone you buy , you get a good mobile internet plan.
for a Rs.99 a month vodaphone gives me 2 gb net usage.

What ever you do don't get an iphone.
Thanks Gogbot.............!

chex3009

Country flag
I am currently having my hands of HTC HD7 (Windows phone 7)

Its a good phone, good touch response and good social network integration.

It takes good 720P videos and nice 5 MP pics.
Excellent phone for connectivity.

Only negative points are:

-Bluetooth not enabled to share files among phones.
-No cut-copy-paste.

But Microsoft has assured all this gaps would be filled in till April when next update arrives.

Oracle

For all torrent downloaders. Use Google peerblock.

Peer Block is a new version (aka a "fork") of the popular Peer Guardian 2 software. It blocks "known bad" computers from accessing yours, for example governments and corporations. Peer Block maintains the functionality of the original Peer Guardian 2 program, but includes fixes for various Windows Vista / Windows 7 issues that remain unaddressed in PG2.

Find it here free!

Phenom

My MoBO is on its last legs,

Now I have to spend a few Ks trying to change it.Its time for an upgrade anyway.

Are all the processor now a days are 64 bit or is there still 32 bit available in the market? If yes then what is the difference between 32 bit and 64 bit processor, in terms of performance.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
The $35 Indian Tablet "Sakshat" Arriving by Month End

Some time back, we reported the delay of the unique $35 Sakshat tablet, targeted for the student market. Now, the ultra low cost tablet, produced by Indian manufacturer HCL, is ready to ship. IIT Rajasthan will be getting the first batch of 10,000 tablets in late June, which is now announced to be priced at $50 (Rs. 2200 to be exact), though will be subsidised by 50%, thus bringing its price to Rs. 1100.

The project was a result of the collaboration between the Indian Institute of Science (IISc) and four IITs, and its aim was to bridge the digital divide among the students in India. The tablet will be subsided by the indian government and will sold to educational institutions in India and will not be available in retail.

The notable features of the tablet include that it is powered by Linux, comes with 2 GB memory, has a touch screen including an inbuilt keyboard, Wi-Fi connectivity, computing capabilities such as OpenOffice and SciLab, and has a power rating of merely 2 Watts so that it can be used in low power supply regions.

We are surely glad to see that the Sakshat project is finally up and running. Its specs are fairly impressive (given its usage for students) and with a price point of Rs. 1100, it can be a real opportunity for students who come from humbler backgrounds to be able to be a part of the Indian IT phenomenon, while boosting their productivity at school or college. This is a real feather in the cap for the Education Ministry, and is similar to the $100 laptops developed by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in the US.

Source

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Sakshat Tablets ready to ship to IIT Rajashthan this June

The much awaited low cost laptop from the Indian Government is all set to be launched in India by the end of this month. This could be India's answer to $100 laptops developed by the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in the US. The low cost device is powered by Android which makes it the cheapest android device made. The device was developed by the combined research and development by IISCs(Indian Institute of Sciences, Bangalore) and 4 IITs (Indian Institute of Technology). Sakshat would be charged around $49 during the launch and would be further subsidized by the government in the coming months. The device is made by HCL Technologies which is tendered to produce 1 million units.

Sakshat tablet PC is designed to bridge the digital divide among the students in India.The tablet will be subsided by the indian government and will sold to educational institutions in India and it will not be available in retail.

Features of Sakshat