Miffed Russia may stop arms sale to India

p2prada

Shaurya/Sagarika (like DF-21D?) are Quasi Ballastic. Low altitude relatively flatter trajectory and perhaps terminal guidance and maneuverability wil make it difficult to detect and take it out. Although it is by no means a cruise missile.
In case of Shaurya, low altitude means 30 - 50 Km. In case of Brahmos we are talking about 5 - 15m.

It is very similar to Iskander.
Iskander Tactical Ballistic Missile System - Army Technology

Meaning it is meant to act as a tactical missile to take out fixed targets of importance.

Anyway my point was the propulsion systems are way too different if you compare Shaurya and Brahmos. One is a RAMJET/SCRAMJET, while the other has solid rocket motors. You are right about a much more maneuverable terminal approach for Shaurya compared to a regular ballistic missile.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
In case of Shaurya, low altitude means 30 - 50 Km. In case of Brahmos we are talking about 5 - 15m.

It is very similar to Iskander.
Iskander Tactical Ballistic Missile System - Army Technology

Meaning it is meant to act as a tactical missile to take out fixed targets of importance.

Anyway my point was the propulsion systems are way too different if you compare Shaurya and Brahmos. One is a RAMJET/SCRAMJET, while the other has solid rocket motors. You are right about a much more maneuverable terminal approach for Shaurya compared to a regular ballistic missile.
@p2prada Yes. And I agree with your broader point that Brahmos and Shaurya are not the same family of missiles. They are two completely different missiles.

On a different note, am not sure how terrain hugging Brahmos is as compared to Tomahawk, because at 1km/sec you can't maneuvre or change course as well as at 250m/s.

Last edited by a moderator:

p2prada

On a different note, am not sure how terrain hugging Brahmos is as compared to Tomahawk, because at 1km/sec you can't maneuvre or change course as well as at 250m/s.
That's one reason why we don't need a lot of range for Brahmos.
The turn radius of Brahmos will be very large. Hence why we need a Tomahawk class as well.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles