Microsoft names Satya Nadella new CEO

t_co

Microsoft names Satya Nadella new CEO | Microsoft - CNET News

After a six-months-long search, Microsoft has handed responsibility for its future to Satya Nadella, who replaces Steve Ballmer and becomes only the third chief executive in the company's nearly four-decade-long history.
Founder Bill Gates, meanwhile, will move over as a "technology advisor," suggesting a more active role in the development of Microsoft product. John Thompson will take over as chairman.
"Satya is a proven leader with hard-core engineering skills, business vision, and the ability to bring people together," Gates said in a prepared statement. "His vision for how technology will be used and experienced around the world is exactly what Microsoft needs as the company enters its next chapter of expanded product innovation and growth."
In choosing Nadella, the executive vice president of Microsoft's Cloud and Enterprise group, Microsoft has turned to a highly accomplished executive in the mold of its co-founder Gates, who reportedly held out for a candidate with sufficient technical gravitas to inspire -- and if need be, change -- Microsoft's engineer-driven corporate culture. It also confounded the early handicapping in the CEO vetting process that the board needed to land an outside candidate to shake things up.
At the still relatively young age of 46, Nadella oversaw one of Microsoft's fastest-growing divisions -- the Cloud and Enterprise Group -- which accounted for $20.3 billion in revenue and $8.2 billion in operating income during the company's last fiscal year.
Outsiders and colleagues credit Nadella with helping to move Microsoft's server and tools group to a faster, more agile development model - so they are no longer innovating on long, 18-month release cycles. At the same time, he's been a key player in forcing a shift in the business focus to the cloud and software-as-a-service. Brad Silverberg, who co-founded the venture investment firm Ignition Partners after a long and successful career at Microsoft, noted that Nadella had done "a remarkable job" moving Microsoft to the cloud, where its Azure service is now a strong rival to Amazon Web Services. (You can read Silverberg's guest column on the Nadella appointment here.
Satya's wiki page:

Satya Nadella - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He was born in Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India to an IAS officer, B. N. Yugandhar, a Telugu Brahmins family hailing from Krishna District.[4] who was a member of the Planning Commission during 2004-2009 under Prime Minister Manmohan Singh.[5] Satya attended the Hyderabad Public School in Begumpet[6] before attaining a Bachelor of Engineering in Electrical & Electronics degree from Manipal Institute of Technology, Manipal, Karnataka.[3][7][8][9]

After moving to the US, Nadella earned an MS in Computer Science from the University of Wisconsin–Milwaukee [10] and an MBA from the University of Chicago Booth School of Business.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
The Start menu (lack of) cost Steve Ballmer his job. Hope this guy has the wisdom to bring it back.

Rumors of a Start button on Windows 8.1 got my hopes up, until it turned out to be gimmick that leads you to that chimpanzee intelligence testing program they call "Start screen."

***bleep bleep...push the right colored square for a banana***

Last edited:

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod
The Start menu (lack of) cost Steve Ballmer his job. Hope this guy has the wisdom to bring it back.

Rumors of a Start button on Windows 8.1 got my hopes up, until it turned out to be gimmick that leads you to that chimpanzee intelligence testing program they call "Start screen."

Right click on window logo (start) on 8.1 gives you plenty of options. But still it is not the same.

TrueSpirit1

The Nobody
Banned
Now, expect the capitation fees / development fees / blah blah fees at Manipal (in all relevant courses) for management quota seats to rise manifolds.

From what I have heard, Manipal management leaves no opportunity to make a killing & what could be more opportune moment than now. The euphoria would be capitalized (literally) for decades.

Free Karma

Now, expect the capitation fees / development fees / blah blah fees at Manipal (in all relevant courses) for management quota seats to rise manifolds.

From what I have heard, Manipal management leaves no opportunity to make a killing & what could be more opportune moment than now. The euphoria would be capitalized (literally) for decades.
Just imagine if this guy happened to be from some university owned by Arindham Chaudhuri.. You'd never hear the end of it!

During the mid 90s and early 2000s Manipal had the reputation of being a rich kids/party all the time school(drugs etc), But nowadays I think it's considered a decent univ. I think the earlier reputation was maybe a bit unfair, as all colleges have drugs/alchohol and so on.

VIP

Ultra Nationalist
Country flag

I like start screen in 8.1....But chimpanzees :(

VIP

Ultra Nationalist
Country flag
Right click on window logo (start) on 8.1 gives you plenty of options. But still it is not the same.

I never missed start menu except for first 5 mins...... Heard they're bringing many features in update 1 for Windows 8.1 and also WP8.1 would be having lots of improvements. Looking forward for WP 8.1 because I freaking love my friend's Lumia 1320, I would be buying 925 if WP8.1 gives me what I want.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles