Mangalore college bans burqa in class

plugwater

MANGALORE: A Mangalore college has banned women students from wearing the burqa in classrooms, laying down the law in its prospectus. The diktat that is likely to trigger a debate criss-crossing gender and sectarian lines, was meant for undergraduate courses at the St Aloysius Pre-University College.

"Students must be neatly dressed in accordance with the rule of approved etiquette. Girls are not expected to wear burqa in the classrooms and in the examination halls. The decision of the principal in this regard is to be accepted," reads the first condition in the general regulations, a copy of which is with TOI.

At many places in UP's Muslim-dominated areas, students routinely wear the burqa but most take it off inside classrooms although there is no fiat against the full-body dress. In New Delhi's Jamia Milia Islamia, a central university, there is no restriction on students wearing the burqa to classes.

Internationally, France, Italy and Belgium are among countries that have banned the burqa to empower women and ensure personal identification among other reasons. Many other European nations may follow suit.

St Aloysius registrar AM Narahari told TOI on Thursday the college didn't object to girls wearing burqa on campus and in the corridors. However, "girls are not allowed to enter classrooms and exam halls wearing burqa." Narahari said lecturers found it difficult to teach students in burqa and it was mandatory for students to show their face during exam.

Mangalore college bans burqa in class - The Times of India

lemontree

Professional
I support this "banning of burqa in class rooms".

The burqa is worn for two reasons:-
(a) religious enforcement by parents/ husband.
(b) Own choice to avoid the lecherous eyes of men - this is the most common reason why many muslim women wear the burqa. (The current trend amonst the non-muslim girls is to wear a stole like a hood that covers their face like a ninja).

KS

Bye bye DFI
IBNLive : Vivian Fernandes's Blog : Keep the burqa, remove the veil

[.....]

In the past three decades or so there has been a resurgence of religiosity. Fundamentalist Christian cults are finding recruits, mostly among Catholics. Muslims working in West Asia have imported Wahhabism, an intolerant version of Islam. But it is the government-backed RSS and its affiliates that poison social relations. They do not hesitate to use violence. They have kept up tension by insinuating themselves into Hindu-Muslim love affairs, intercepting cattle meant for slaughter and carrying on a campaign against (fictional) forcible conversions

[.....]
Amazing opinions these people (Vivian Fernandes ) have. Fanatic xtian cults indulging in conversion, sometimes right outside a temple, is not the problem, Islamists importing wahhabism from Arabia is not the problem, but its the RSS that intercepts cows taken on their way to slaughter is the biggest problem...:rolleyes:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I think it is a minority institution.

I believe that they are entitled to having their own rules.

Just like AMU not allowing women to the library or some such thing I saw in one of the threads out here!

SLASH

there is no ban on full bodied clothing. if a girl has problem revealing any part of her body she can very well wear a shalwar.

Mad Indian

Proud Bigot
Country flag
See, Me thinks its worth voting for BJP next time atleast for this. What do you say :heh:

Anyway, very good move. infact, an excellent move.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles