LCA TEJAS MK1 & MK1A: News and Discussion

patriots

Defense lover
Country flag
Even then we are not that far behind from gripen program. We will get similar capabilities or better than gripen just a few years behind. And they will be indegenios.
Meanwhile we have sukhoi with bramhos A which outrange RBS and scalp with rafale is coming in September. So lca has time to catch up.

Sent from my C103 using Tapatalk
Also tejas will be able to carry nirbhaya missile in future..........

IndianHawk

Country flag
Btw India also operates harpoon missile.
Jaguar IM uses it also boing p8-i .

Harpoon is more comparable to RBS 15 than bramhos. Harpoon is also much lighter(700kg) already works with elta 2032 of jaguar IM .

So if we want immediate sea strike capability for lca we can go harpoon route.
Also kh35 is there for Tejas which also is used on mig 29k.

Lca has far more versatile package then most people realise.

Lca can integrate weapons of US , Israeli , Russian and Indian origin. How many aircraft can claim this!
Add Europe to that list with asraam selection.

With Uttam radar it will be able to integrate meteor too.

That is one very potent truly international platform.

IndianHawk

Country flag
Nirbhaya will be true bread and butter cruise missile. It's air launch version will be what everyone else is using . A 600-700kg subsonic (0.7 -0.8 Mach) anti ship/ land attack missile with 500km+ range. Much less costly than bramhos.

Steven Rogers

NaPakiRoaster
Country flag
I did some searching.
Found this photo. Don't know how accurate.
But it says 2052 has 1114 T/R module .
Should be quite powerful than . I think that is also development target for Uttam.

For rbe 2 following image says 898 actual module while 1000 claimed.

If Uttam is already at 800 module than its quite close to maturity density wise although flight testing will take time.

The claimed 2052 has never been manufactured, jaguar uses, a radar which has around 300 modules... Tejas mk1a might have another variant of that which has 500 modules.

IndianHawk

Country flag
The claimed 2052 has never been manufactured, jaguar uses, a radar which has around 300 modules... Tejas mk1a might have another variant of that which has 500 modules.
Do you have source for it?
If what you are saying is true then Uttam already has more density than elta 2052 but that is doubtful as elta has been working on 2052 longer than Uttam timeframe!

Steven Rogers

NaPakiRoaster
Country flag

IndianHawk

Country flag
I wonder what will be the range of Uttam then ?
With 700+ module it shall atleast be greater than 200km+.

And for su30 with 1600-2000 module Uttam will range 400+ km!

abingdonboy

Country flag
I wonder what will be the range of Uttam then ?
With 700+ module it shall atleast be greater than 200km+.

And for su30 with 1600-2000 module Uttam will range 400+ km!

Russians won’t let the UTTAM be fitted on the MKI, they are too keen to milk the MLU/Super upgrade for all its worth to them. If an AESA comes for MKI it will only be russians, they have veto on this and have used it many times when it comes to MKI.
Interesting. So either 300 module or 500 or 1500!
It also mentions detection range of upto 200km! That's fantastic and more than enough for lca class fighter.

UTTAM is a drool worthy product as far as India’s MIC is concerned. The LCA is getting closer and closer to becoming a 100% independent option for foreign players that don’t want to get into bed with the US/Russia/China.

The swedes talk up the Gripen in this context when it has Italian avionics/radars, American engines, European weapons etc etc.

The only true independent option at this point is the Rafale but clearly it’s far to expensive for the vast majority of nations, LCA could become a VERY attractive option if marketed correctly. Forget the JF17 crap, there are 100s of MiG21s out there needing replacements.

Of course other than AESAR, the next biggest issue is the engine....

Kchontha

Country flag
Replacement of Sukhoi-30 by 2050 and Failure of FGFA joint venture with Russia has provided Indian designers and aerospace ecosystem in the country to come up with an alternative which can take on and replace Heavy Class fighter like Su-30 and yet be India’s frontline fighter in terms of technology. Indian military planners should start work on Advance Heavy Combat Aircraft (AHCA) concept which could be India’s 6th Generation fighter program which should materialize by 2040.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Gripen E will still carry more fuel and load than MK1A. As for Brahmos NG, Gripen already has RBS-15. Tejas has a long way to go before it can beat Gripen E.
No it doesn't have a long way to catch up with Gripen E. We shall do that wiyw LCA Mk 2.

Kchontha

Country flag
Uttam area radar is capable of tracking 100 targets simultaneously and engage 6 of them by SARH/ARH missiles in high priority tracking mode. For comparison, Elta EL/M-2052 is capable of tracking 64 targets in TWS mode. Uttam is also capable of tracking a target having RCS of 2m2 at a distance of 92 kilometers. The range of uttam is 150 kilometers for the target of the same RCS. In GMTT mode 2 targets can be tracked.

Kchontha

Country flag
The most eye-catching change from LCA to mwf is the addition of canards. Although, ADA had considered Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) configurations with canards as one the short-selected design concepts back in the 1980s itself, it decided to drop the canards after careful wind tunnel studies. At the time, the advantages offered by the canard configuration were deemed to be minor in comparison to the added complexities of having an extra control surface. After all, this was the first time that a Digital Fly-By-Wire (FBW) flight control system (FCS) was being designed for a fighter within India, let alone a highly unstable one. And SAAB’s experience with the Gripen in the 1990s has shown that this was a wise decision. Instead, ADA went with the iconic double delta wing with lower sweep inboard section.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...AhAB&usg=AOvVaw3R-N59lRkHhi5xunBFKN-T&ampcf=1

IndianHawk

Country flag
Russians won’t let the UTTAM be fitted on the MKI, they are too keen to milk the MLU/Super upgrade for all its worth to them. If an AESA comes for MKI it will only be russians, they have veto on this and have used it many times when it comes to MKI.

UTTAM is a drool worthy product as far as India’s MIC is concerned. The LCA is getting closer and closer to becoming a 100% independent option for foreign players that don’t want to get into bed with the US/Russia/China.

The swedes talk up the Gripen in this context when it has Italian avionics/radars, American engines, European weapons etc etc.

The only true independent option at this point is the Rafale but clearly it’s far to expensive for the vast majority of nations, LCA could become a VERY attractive option if marketed correctly. Forget the JF17 crap, there are 100s of MiG21s out there needing replacements.

Of course other than AESAR, the next biggest issue is the engine....
Russian aesa is not ready. There own su35 and su30sm are without aesa at this point.

Su30 MKI has Indian mission control. If Russian agreed to that they might agree for Indian aesa .
They would probably demand more defense deal in return.
Anyway a denial by Russia will only prove that India decision to walk away from pakfa was right!

Lca is more exportable than gripen , with pesky European and there export control drama .

With Uttam and Astra and indegenios bombs it will have complete Indian weaponry and avionics. Engine remains American but that also means more reliable and efficient than plane with Russian engine (jf17, j10 etc).

What lca needs is a powerful marketing campaign and large domestic orders .

Look at Saab. They have marketed gripen E so much even before it's ready that people have forgotten that most operational gripen are gripen c /d which are only comparable to lca mk1.

But now everyone including Indian media compares lca mk1 to gripen E and shows how gripen is superior!!

IndianHawk

Country flag
Derby ER is already in service with Columbia air force.

https://www.defensa.com/colombia/fuerza-aerea-colombia-incorpora-misil-i-derby-er

Their old kfir plane are upgraded with elta 2052 radar and can now fire derby ER which they have procured. It also means that integration of derby ER with 2052 is already proven.

So mk1a with 2052 radar will easily incorporated derby ER with 100km + range.
That means lca mk1a will be superior to Pak f16 block 52 ( the most modern jet they have) in bvr combat.

This fact alone should be enough to order 100 more mk1a .

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles