Latest News: Pragati Tactical Missile will be offered to Vietnam??

Country flag
But still our industry can survive under exports. If the Army is not ordering, how long do you think they can do RnD's and sustain their production lines? without orders it will be even more difficult to attract talent. Atleast we can do something with meaningful exports.
There was a time when India was placing Brahmos in all 3 services and it was not inducted by Russians
This was a sticky point for a long time; when a system has been inducted there is a lot more credibility
for the buyers and sellers.

nirranj

Country flag
There was a time when India was placing Brahmos in all 3 services and it was not inducted by Russians
This was a sticky point for a long time; when a system has been inducted there is a lot more credibility
for the buyers and sellers.
I accept that. but what can we do when the policy makers and the Armed forces are blind towards our systems and platforms??

Country flag
I accept that. but what can we do when the policy makers and the Armed forces are blind towards our systems and platforms??
very simple give a few to friendly countries to try out or invite them for joint exercises.

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Mod
Country flag
Pragati means Progress in Hindi, is it an apt name for a missile?

Missile are meant for destruction :p

What's your take on this guys?

I was thinking something like Paratha missile or something.

nirranj

Country flag
very simple give a few to friendly countries to try out or invite them for joint exercises.
I am also saying the same thing. Export them to friendly nations. Let them assess the usefulness of our systems and come out with positive statements and use those assesments to force the army to buy them in numbers.

drkrn

May be It gives Pragathi to DRDO in Defense Exports.

But Will India give these systems to Indonesia, considering the Australia factor??

Vietnam and Phillipines will be good. We should develop Ship based anti ship variants of this Missile and supply that to Phillipines.
in terms of military power indonesia is very weak wrt australia.moreover pragathi is a defensive "land weapon".
so i hope australia has no reason to object such deal

drkrn

Why not? Russia has a 'missile' (well, actually a rocket) by the same name.

Semantics apart, if you look at "Pragati," the underlined part is indicative of the speed.
gati means direction.

pmaitra

bhai saheb,dont go with google...

more over sanskrit words have multiple meanings,which change with sentence

12 Funniest Findings in Google Translate - Oddee.com
Google was an aside. I don't need Google. My lingua nativa is a direct descendant of Sanskrit. The word 'gati' means 'speed.' Yes, in Sanskrit, some words have multiple meanings, but I have never heard 'gati' being used to mean 'direction' in Hindi.

BTW, Google has translated all three words correctly. So, I am not sure what purpose that link of your's serves w.r.t. those three words.

drkrn

Google was an aside. I don't need Google. My lingua nativa is a direct descendant of Sanskrit. The word 'gati' means 'speed.' Yes, in Sanskrit, some words have multiple meanings, but I have never heard 'gati' being used to mean 'direction' in Hindi.
pls find me the meaning of sad"gati"

rugved

I think we should be more open to supply weapon systems (down graded) to others too. I would like to pit the Akash against a Tornado or Typhoon in a actual combat.

For Example we can supply akash, pragathis, LCA, Brahmos, Attack and support heli's, Stealth frigates, DRDO AWACS etc to the Argentina. And we train them in those equipments. Do some stirr up in their pride and see them invade the Falklands. Deploy handlers to Beunes Aires and oversee the war against the Royal Navy. It should give us enormous learning to see how our systems are against the technologically superior Brits and how we can use them to make considerable damage or even win a war.

sounds crazy, but we should start playing the power role in international arena!!
I don't think that will possible unless we get a permanent seat in the UNSC.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
more Howitzers and MBRL's, attack helicopters,HELINA. These weapons i picked
intentionally because they can be used in all terrain unlike cruise missiles.
Pragati looks like a good system i am suprised it is so quickly ready for export?
LF Prahaar and Pragati type is very quick reaction long range sniper, which is available to the commander at field to take fast action for high value targets and targets of high value opportunity.

drkrn

Sorry, I will not, and the reason is, you are resorting to obfuscation and diversion. Stay on the point.

I will use the Occam's Razor now. I said 'gati' means speed. Either you agree with that, or disagree with that.

Dictionary meaning: गति (gati) - meaning in english - गति का मतलब अंग्रेजी में - meaning of gati in english - हिंखोज डिक्शनरी
ok done.....

drkrn

I don't think that will possible unless we get a permanent seat in the UNSC.
no need.best example germany which sticked itself to quality.
no way we can match west in quality,but definitely in an economic way which suits us better

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
Why not? Russia has a 'missile' (well, actually a rocket) by the same name.

Semantics apart, if you look at "Pragati," the underlined part is indicative of the speed.
Saar, 'gati' also means condition. As in durgati, veergati etc. Pra = Pro, gati = Condition. Pragati = Ascent towards the desired condition (Progress).

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Pragati tactical missile is Pragati ( Progress ) over Prahaar Missile : Offical | idrw.org
SOURCE: IDRW NEWS NETWORK ( INN )

When for first time they was mention of Pragati missile to be displayed in Seoul International Aerospace and Defence Exhibition (ADEX 2013), Initially there was confusion if Media had wrongly quoted Pragati instead of Prahaar only later to be reviled that Pragati missile is export variant of Prahaar tactical ballistic missile.

Pragati which means " Progress " in Hindi , literally also goes my it's name . when idrw.org spoke to it a official from DRDO it has been confirmed that Pragati missile is a Progress over Prahaar and have some improvements rather then downgrades which usually comes with export variants of Arms in International Arms market . There is 95% Hardware similarities between the two missiles but Pragati missile has improved software which enhances it Battlefield survivability.

Ballistic missile follows a ballistic flightpath with the objective of delivering warhead to a predetermined target. But ballistic missile trajectory can be predicted and can be tracked and with ABM ( Anti-ballistic missile ) can also be Intercepted , So Progress made by Pragati is that software allows it to follow less predictable flight path which enhances it Battlefield survivability.

Pragati has been cleared by Government of India for Export and soon will be offered to Friendly countries and idrw.org had reported that Vietnam might be among first country to be offered Pragati missile . DRDO displayed 12×12 transporter-erector-launcher (TEL) which has a six-cannister missile system but will also be offering 6×6 TEL with two cannister missile system and 8×8 TEL launcher fitted with four missiles , it also comes with four different warheads .

Last edited:

ninja85

Pragati means Progress in Hindi, is it an apt name for a missile?

Missile are meant for destruction :p

What's your take on this guys?
pragati could also mean achievement,

achievement in destruction,

progress of making destruction.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles