Lakhvi affair to affect Modi visit to China, Xi visit to Pakistan

Rashna

Country flag

BEIJING: India expects China to use its influence over Pakistan to resolve the delicate situation thrown up by the release of Zaki-ur-Rehman Lakhvi, the alleged mastermind of the Mumbai attack from prison, informed sources said.

"Any gesture from China is bound to have a very positive effect on negotiations during the Prime Minister's visit to Beijing next month," a source cued on government thinking told TNN. Both sides want to make the visit a big success and some political gestures can pave the path for smooth negotiations, he said.

India has also conveyed its expectation from Beijing to Chinese authorities, sources said. Though China is unlikely to publicly express its displeasure over the action of Pakistan, whom it regards as all-weather friend, Beijing can still use diplomatic channels to express its concern at Lakhvi's release.

READ ALSO: Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi released from Adiala jail

The episode might also delay Chinese president Xi Jinping's visit to Islamabad because he would not want to be seen endorsing the Pakistani action, a Chinese expert said on condition of anonymity.

"It is a very complex issue. China wants good relations with both countries. But we don't want to be seen backing one against the other," he said. China is Pakistan's closet allay but Beijing needs India for its vast market and international influence,

Indian officials worry China will reiterate its old stance about not interfering in the internal affairs of other countries in order to keep silent on the Lakhvi release. China may also be afraid about angering extremist groups in Pakistan because some of them are known to instigate terrorism in the Chinese province of Xinjiang across the border.

Modi's success obtaining support from the United States and France on his stance over the Lakhvi release is also weighing on Chinese diplomats, sources said. This was evident as the government controlled CCTV aired India's concerns over Lakhvi's release and the fact that the US and France.

China is regularly compared with India in the western world, and Beijing's reluctance to take a stand on the Lakhvi issue may earn it minus marks.

Beijing would also avoid losing influence over Pakistan, which is a major market for Chinese made weapons and nuclear technology. The US this week initiated the process of selling $1 billion worth of weapons to Pakistan resulting in greater competition for China.

Rashna

Country flag
One is now really beginning to wonder while the world is out there extracting revenge for misdeeds we sit in waiting for somebody else to take a stand on what is essentially "our" headache.:tsk:

Rowdy

Co ja kurwa czytam!
One is now really beginning to wonder while the world is out there extracting revenge for misdeeds we sit in waiting for somebody else to take a stand on what is essentially "our" headache.:tsk:
A little perspective is needed miss orange Rasna :D
If you closely look at Indian History, we have never been liked by anyone .... we can debate the reasons but frankly its the truth.
First they invade our lands, cause famine , destroy our educational system, destroy our irrigation system. Rob our temples , grow opium and kill the fertility of the land , convert people to "cults" and while leaving affect an ethnic cleansing. Here is what the US did just after independence :
In 1949 the Indian food situation was as difficult as in the '60s and the foreign exchange position even worse. In November that year Nehru made his first visit to the US amidst a tremendous welcome. During his talks with Harry Truman he did mention the scarcity of food in India. Truman's response was positive. But there were bureaucratic obstructions, resistance in the US Congress, procedural delays and other difficulties, including the American attempt to barter wheat for strategic materials. There could therefore be no agreement even though there was a glut of wheat in America. India said that the US was "ungracious" and "stingy". What annoyed New Delhi the most was that the US had tried to use food aid as a "policy lever". For their part, American officials complained that the Indian government had not "followed up" on Nehru's vague request to Truman. This, however, was not the end of the story.

By the summer of 1950, the Indian food situation had deteriorated. This time around the government conveyed to Washington India's requirement in clear terms. Nehru's sister, Vijayalakshmi Pandit, then ambassador to the US, handed the formal request for 2 million tons of wheat aid to the secretary of state, Dean Acheson. Truman was cautious, however, and sent an aide to the Capitol Hill to sound out Congressional opinion. Senate foreign relations committee chairman Tom Connally told the luckless official: "You will have one hell of a time getting this thing through Congress." As Truman knew, there were reasons for India's unpopularity with many Congressmen. These included India's policy of nonalignment, its friendly relations with China, its peace-making role in Korea and American legislators' astonishing ignorance concerning India. Nevertheless, Truman decided to send the food aid legislation to Congress. He enlisted the former Republican president Herbert Hoover's support for the Bill. Even so, resistance to the measure was stiff. More obdurate than the Senate was the House of Representatives, which, at one stage, postponed the consideration of the issue.

What kind of pride and prejudice this country was up against is best illustrated by an interview Vijayalashmi Pandit had with Sam Rayburn, Speaker of the House and a legendary figure on the Hill at that time, from which she returned in a towering rage. It had gone something like this: "Why don't you buy wheat from Pakistan which has wheat in surplus? The only reason you don't is because Hindu India wants to do down Muslim Pakistan," Rayburn said to the ambassador. She tried to control her temper as best she could and said testily that India was not Hindu India, and that it had "more Muslims than Muslim Pakistan."

Rayburn: "Oh, you have Muslims in India! Honey, why didn't you say so earlier?"

Ambassador: "Sam, I have been saying this for two years, ever since I came here, but you don't hear and you don't understand." Whereupon Rayburn's tone suddenly changed, and he said: "No, no, now that I know, now you will have no trouble. If they give you any more trouble, honey, you just tell me." (Source: B.K. Nehru, then minister for economic affairs at the Indian embassy in Washington.)
Swallowing the humiliation - Indian Express

This is our battle and we have to fight it ... the US cleared $1bn aid to Pak a few days ago too.

Rashna

Country flag
This makes me feel even more ill. ... rowdy you are supposed to give me some hope instead you killed whatever little i had. :rolleyes:

A little perspective is needed miss orange Rasna :D
If you closely look at Indian History, we have never been liked by anyone .... we can debate the reasons but frankly its the truth.
First they invade our lands, cause famine , destroy our educational system, destroy our irrigation system. Rob our temples , grow opium and kill the fertility of the land , convert people to "cults" and while leaving affect an ethnic cleansing. Here is what the US did just after independence :

Swallowing the humiliation - Indian Express

This is our battle and we have to fight it ... the US cleared $1bn aid to Pak a few days ago too.

Rowdy

Co ja kurwa czytam!
This makes me feel even more ill. ... rowdy you are supposed to give me some hope instead you killed whatever little i had. :rolleyes:
hugs :hug:

I think it is great. We now control our own destiny and do not own anyone anything. This is true power.

Last edited:

SADAKHUSH

Country flag
Pakistan might have different plan for Lakhvi. He might be sent to Yemen or Saudi Arabia to organize terror attack deep inside Yemen against rebels as he is quiet experienced and in an encounter might get killed as well. Once he is out of picture than Pakistan regime does not have to listen the same plea from India about him.

Last edited:

Zebra

Country flag
hugs :hug:

I think it is great. We now control our own destiny and do not own anyone anything. This is true power.
Yeah.

Hug few more time, if you like, sir.

But at the end.......... US - India bhai bhai. :hippo:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
The article in OP is BS that china doesn't want to be seen as backing one country against another. China has been backing Pak against India for decades and will fight India down to the last Paki.

Rashna

Country flag
I agree. We seem to imagine a lot of things about China which aren't true. Our expectations from China are foolish given their activity levels in pakistan and now beyond covering afghanistan and possibly Iran too.
When it comes to their interest none of these muslim countries have any problem dealing with an atheist country which is openly anti muslim.

The article in OP is BS that china doesn't want to be seen as backing one country against another. China has been backing Pak against India for decades and will fight India down to the last Paki.

Rowdy

Co ja kurwa czytam!
I agree. We seem to imagine a lot of things about China which aren't true. Our expectations from China are foolish given their activity levels in pakistan and now beyond covering afghanistan and possibly Iran too.
When it comes to their interest none of these muslim countries have any problem dealing with an atheist country which is openly anti muslim.
I have a strange love hate relationship with china. The way they humiliate india is the only way you can get india to do something. :rofl:
Else most indians are contend with their lives.

Rashna

Country flag
Ya that's why we are shopping for Rafales' like we would for alphonso mangoes. :taunt:
This is the way France wants to trade with China. China flexes its muscles, India buys Rafales. See the connection. :lol:

I have a strange love hate relationship with china. The way they humiliate india is the only way you can get india to do something. :rofl:
Else most indians are contend with their lives.

Rowdy

Co ja kurwa czytam!
Ya that's why we are shopping for Rafales' like we would for alphonso mangoes. :taunt:
This is the way France wants to trade with China. China flexes its muscles, India buys Rafales. See the conneciton. :lol:
hahaha modi to hollande : Bhaiyaaa 3 darjan rafale dena :p

But seriously, we now have NC3I .... we would never have made such a system if 26/11 had not happened.

Rashna

Country flag
Hollande to Modi : Abhi bhav badhenga re, lena to lele, nahi to chini bhaiya lagaye teri watt!

So this is so pathetic. Are we planning on getting something to work ASAP, like now? Even these rafales are going to take 2 years for induction.

hahaha modi to hollande : Bhaiyaaa 3 darjan rafale dena :p

But seriously, we now have NC3I .... we would never have made such a system if 26/11 had not happened.

Rowdy

Co ja kurwa czytam!
Hollande to Modi : Abhi bhav badhenga re, lena to lele, nahi to chini bhaiya lagaye teri watt!

So this is so pathetic. Are we planning on getting something to work ASAP, like now? Even these rafales are going to take 2 years for induction.
The two years are ASAP. :lol: thats ASAP in aerospace terms.
This is the result of khoongress govt.
Atleast Indians have the food security act.

Rashna

Country flag
Ya. If this is the state of our modernization attempts I wonder when we will be in a position to become a threat to others. :rolleyes:

By the way do those BOFORS guns still work? Everybody even forgot the scandal. :confused:

The two years are ASAP. :lol: thats ASAP in aerospace terms.
This is the result of khoongress govt.
Atleast Indians have the food security act.

Last edited:

Rowdy

Co ja kurwa czytam!
Ya. If this is the state of our modernization attempts I wonder when we will be in a position to become a threat to others. :rolleyes:

By the way do those BOFORS guns still work? Everybody even forgot the scandal. :confused:
LOL No idea.

Rashna

Country flag
You must have some idea :p Its with the ill gotten gains that AMUL baby is vacationing somewhere and missing billboards have gone up in his constituency.

LOL No idea.

Last edited:

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
As if absence of such development would have led to a breakthrough, duh!

mayfair

I wonder when we will be in a position to become a threat to others. :rolleyes:
Indic dharma has never been about being a threat to others. Vasudhaiv Kutumbakam is not merely lip service you know.

Yet, it seems our very presence is perceived as a threat by some and thus, the attempts to sabotage, derail and us from within and beyond.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles