Kalam asks India to prepare for high-tech wars

navida

DR kalam-An icon in the Global scientific fraternity ,a recipient of Bharath ratna- Highest civilian award,a man who decorated almost all the covetted Defence/ space scientific projects of India,only person in ASIA to be honoured with Hoover medal- America's top engineering prize and so on .And you consider him lacking vision and shrewdness.lol.very interesting.
I searched for hoover medal and Abdul Kalam's name is popping up more than 'hoover' itself. I think Hoover medal became famous by Abdul Kalam receiving it.

Manmohan Singh survived in Indian politics, that too in Congress without getting his name maligned for more than 20 yrs. That is shrewd. And he had the will to actually participate in active politics and do something for the people. A little more than painting colorful pictures of future India. You simply cannot award Prime Ministership like Presidency. It is not an honorary position. He should prove his willingness and qualification by participating in politics.

Minghegy

His intentions are good . But I think he is kind of crazy. For what I know he started the whole 'India becoming a superpower' talk . He's a missile scientist with a fan boy's mind.
Yes, 'superpower talk' is harmful for India, if you can read Chinese medias, you can see they always say China has a long way to be a superpower.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
His intentions are good . But I think he is kind of crazy. For what I know he started the whole 'India becoming a superpower' talk . He's a missile scientist with a fan boy's mind.
i seriously doubt mr kalam was the person to have coined the term super power ever for india, infact he envisioned where india would be a developed country by 2020 by when many miles stones would have been achieved which he penned down in a book "bharat 2020" and there he has talks about how india needs to work its way on various aspects to achieve that, so yes he had a road map as well and it covers a huge number of aspects, not just the military part.

as far as the talk of super power happened, the culprit was to a certain extent the ToI, in 2007-08 they started to cover the positive things that were happening in the country which is what was told to them to follow by narayan murti (who was honoured by that group to act as their editor for a day), where he said that the their first page should carry some positive news which other wise was reflecting a lot of negativity and based on that they started to project india as a future super power based on the achievements we had scored and not as a prevailing one but as the notion spread some of us indians based out of india/overseas, NRIs/POIs in the cyber space/local media/international media started to live this dream of how it would be as a super power and the word spread like one huge wild fire.

so if at all people need to be blamed for that notion then blame people like me, the indians, of having said and promoted what they did, most certainly not mr kalam.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Whats wrong in having an ambition to be super power and putting up a road map to it. Part of being a super power is having those missiles. And the missile man has given us those missiles. Kalam is a visionary and only such men should lead any country. Just like China had Deng. He was a visionary for China though Indians will disagree with his policies, but he put China in the big league. The result is there for all of us to see. We will not be a super power by 2020, but sure will before we hit the middle of this century.

tarunraju

Sanathan Pepe
Mod
Country flag
Firstly, it's of no consequence whether Kalam is President, or not. His opinions are just as consequential or inconsequential. In India, the President's office is just as useful as the Queen to constitutional monarchies in the British Commonwealth (such as Canada and Australia). We just didn't want Queenie over us, so we created the President's office. We should instead take Kalam's comments as coming from a very qualified person.

Secondly, let's get back to the topic of "preparing for cyber warfare". That's more important than individuals.

Last edited:

navida

i seriously doubt mr kalam was the person to have coined the term super power ever for india, infact he envisioned where india would be a developed country by 2020 by when many miles stones would have been achieved which he penned down in a book "bharat 2020" and there he has talks about how india needs to work its way on various aspects to achieve that, so yes he had a road map as well and it covers a huge number of aspects, not just the military part.

as far as the talk of super power happened, the culprit was to a certain extent the ToI, in 2007-08 they started to cover the positive things that were happening in the country which is what was told to them to follow by narayan murti (who was honoured by that group to act as their editor for a day), where he said that the their first page should carry some positive news which other wise was reflecting a lot of negativity and based on that they started to project india as a future super power based on the achievements we had scored and not as a prevailing one but as the notion spread some of us indians based out of india/overseas, NRIs/POIs in the cyber space/local media/international media started to live this dream of how it would be as a super power and the word spread like one huge wild fire.

so if at all people need to be blamed for that notion then blame people like me, the indians, of having said and promoted what they did, most certainly not mr kalam.
"India will be a superpower by 2020" was one of Kalam's favorite quotes. The propaganda about shining and superpower India started during Vajpayee's time. But the propaganda alone couldn't get him elected again.

SHASH2K2

"India will be a superpower by 2020" was one of Kalam's favorite quotes. The propaganda about shining and superpower India started during Vajpayee's time. But the propaganda alone couldn't get him elected again.
My grandfather used to say that there are two kind of people who can understand easily. one who knows nothing or one who knows a lot. There is third type as well he is one who knows little and then develop an Idea of his own. Its impossible to convince that stupid.Now you can determine category to which you belong.

Regarding Superpower status you are having Myopic View due to country which you belong. You were born and told that there is only one Superpower in world that is USA. Truth is that USA is nothing more than a Goon who hit Jackpot and become a big Don. Superpower doesn't mean having biggest army of killers and killing people across the globe to maintain its supremacy. Superpower status can be achieved in many fields . Japan dont have such a large army but its superpower in research and development. China is a manufacturing superpower . In same manner we donot want to become a superpower and pain in the a** for entire world. We are doing more than good as a country and on verge of yielding point in economy as well science and research . By 2020 we will be in a completely diffrent league . Dont worry we wont be USA even in our dreams.

Last edited:

SHASH2K2

Yes, 'superpower talk' is harmful for India, if you can read Chinese medias, you can see they always say China has a long way to be a superpower.
If you donot have big aspirations you cannot become great. Goals should be high so that even if someone underachieve its still worth something.

thakur_ritesh

Ambassador
may be i am wrong but would appreciate it if you back it up with a credible source because as far my memory serves me it never was mr kalam who said india a super power but he always advocated a developed country. the only time he makes reference to the word super power was when he highlights india a knowledge super power.

Read on about the life history of Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, who's also the first scientist and bachelor to occupy the seat of the Rashtrapati Bhavan. His perspectives on important topics have been enunciated by him in the book 'India 2020'. It highlights the action plans that will help develop the country into a knowledge superpower by the time 2020.

Dr APJ Abdul Kalam - APJ Abdul Kalam Biography, Life History of APJ Abdul Kalam

navida

My grandfather used to say that there are two kind of people who can understand easily. one who knows nothing or one who knows a lot. There is third type as well he is one who knows little and then develop an Idea of his own. Its impossible to convince that stupid.Now you can determine category to which you belong.

Regarding Superpower status you are having Myopic View due to country which you belong. You were born and told that there is only one Superpower in world that is USA. Truth is that USA is nothing more than a Goon who hit Jackpot and become a big Don. Superpower doesn't mean having biggest army of killers and killing people across the globe to maintain its supremacy. Superpower status can be achieved in many fields . Japan dont have such a large army but its superpower in research and development. China is a manufacturing superpower . In same manner we donot want to become a superpower and pain in the a** for entire world. We are doing more than good as a country and on verge of yielding point in economy as well science and research . By 2020 we will be in a completely diffrent league . Dont worry we wont be USA even in our dreams.
Firstly, I am an Indian living in US with as much love for the India as everyone else here. We have a log way to go and it is a little too soon to have a party . Our people have to come out of that bubble and realize where we stand. I am criticizing not because I am US but because I care for my country and I want it to achieve real greatness.

Secondly, I don't really care what your grandfather thinks.

SHASH2K2

Firstly, I am an Indian living in US with as much love for the India as everyone else here. We have a log way to go and it is a little too soon to have a party . Our people have to come out of that bubble and realize where we stand. I am criticizing not because I am US but because I care for my country and I want it to achieve real greatness.

Secondly, I don't really care what your grandfather thinks.

Its a very general tendency that people who leaves India and settle abroad in country like USA think they are more American than actual American and their native country becomes pathetic and unlivable for them . I have been following your comments from quite a while and thats what forced me to say this. You forget that its same country in which you were born and you owe a lot to India for whatever you are now. I have seen you supporting Chinese guys comments against India and clicking on thanks button . For me You are an American .

I apologize to others Indians Living Abroad. This comment is not meant for them .

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles