INS Vikrant: Know your carrier

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
The INS Vikrant: Know all about the carrier

Why is the Vikrant important?

It is India's first ever indigenous aircraft carrier, and signifies a degree of self-reliance in this field. Currently under construction in Kochi, it will be the largest ever warship built in India. It will make the country the fifth that is capable of constructing aircraft carriers this size, the others being the US, Russia, France and the UK. (AP)

========================

Since when has the project been planned?

As per the original plan, work was to start in 2008 and the ship expected to join service by 2014. (PTI)

=========================

What is the ceremony in Kochi about?

August 12function was the launching ceremony. What this means is that the structure, fabricated in a dry dock, has been floated out into the sea and anchored next to the yard. (AP)

==========================

What comes next?

Work will now start to add on the bridge aboard the flight deck, as well as extend the ship's breadth outside the confines of the dock. Extensive cabling and integration of all systems remain. Over 75 per cent of the structure has been erected, and the engines and generators housed inside their compartments. (Reuters)

When will the ship be inducted?

As per current plans, the ship should be ready to steam under its own power and go for the first round of trials by 2016-end. The ship is expected to be fit for formal induction in the Navy by the end of 2018. (PTI)

What are the ship's capabilities?

The 37,500-tonne carrier has been designed to attain speeds in excess of 28 knots, and to carry 36 aircraft, 17 in the hangars and 19 on deck. It is designed to sail for over 8,000 nautical miles in a service period over three decades. Its main weapon will be its fighter aircraft. (PTI)

What fighters will it carry?

A mix of MiG 29 Ks and later Light Combat Aircraft (Naval), besides KA 31 early warning and anti-submarine choppers and Advanced Light Helicopters for utility missions. It will be protected against air attacks by the long-range surface-to-air missile system being developed with Israel and will have AK 630 close-in-weapon systems. (PTI)

How does it compare with other ships?

It is larger than India's sole serving carrier, the INS Virat that weights 28,000 tonnes and can carry less than 30 aircraft. The Vikrant will be the fourth carrier to be operated by India when it joins in 2018.Defence Minister A K Antony with his wife Elizabeth at Cochin dockyard during the launch of INS Vikrant. (PTI)

Source : :: Bharat-Rakshak.com - Indian Military News Headlines ::

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
Thanks @Kunal Biswas sir, a very informative and nicely explained thread. :happy: :yey:

Last edited by a moderator:

devb

Nice post @Kunal Biswas... INS Vikrant 2 is probably the best stobar design out there. Better than the rusty Kuznetsov and Liaoning... And way way better than our own Vikramaditya.

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
i kinda find it funny that, original crest of 60s era Vikrant is being used on newer Vikrant. I mean,
1662106046872.png

Those 4 bow-arrow set represented 4 steam catapults that were there on original Majestic-class Vikrant of 60s, but current indigeneous Vikrant has none as it's STOBAR pattern of carrier.
I see a goofup here, should've been replaced with something meaningful for current carrier etc.

Edit = someone on teligram informed that it was actually 4 steam boilers on 60s era Vikrant not steam catapults and it can be made analogous to currnet Vikrant in way that current Vikrant has got 4 gas turbine engines so still relatable etc...
hhmm seems valid to me

Last edited:

IndianHawk

Country flag
i kinda find it funny that, original crest of 60s era Vikrant is being used on newer Vikrant. I mean,
View attachment 170105
Those 4 bow-arrow set represented 4 steam catapults that were there on original Majestic-class Vikrant of 60s, but current indigeneous Vikrant has none as it's STOBAR pattern of carrier.
I see a goofup here, should've been replaced with something meaningful for current carrier etc.

Edit = someone on teligram informed that it was actually 4 steam boilers on 60s era Vikrant not steam catapults and it can be made analogous to currnet Vikrant in way that current Vikrant has got 4 gas turbine engines so still relatable etc...
hhmm seems valid to me
Eh I'm not sure if it means boilers or catapults.

Even in vikramaditya crest has arrows which
Mean it's aur squadrons. I'm guessing it should be similar for Vikrant.

Hari Sud

Country flag
What is this talk of INS Vikrant has lift too small to accommodate naval version of Rafale or any other fighter. Is the Chandigarh Group and the London Group spreading falsehood or is there any truth to that?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles