Indian visiting grandson in Alabama, attacked by police, paralyzed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
Last edited by a moderator:

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
I am older than the subject. If I had acted as he did in India, what would police do to me?

If a policeman anywhere attempted to frisk me, I would not put my hands in my pockets or pull away.

To me, complying would just be common sense.
This is exactly what I am trying to convey.

thethinker

Country flag

Razor

STABLE GENIUS
Country flag
I am older than the subject. If I had acted as he did in India, what would police do to me?

If a policeman anywhere attempted to frisk me, I would not put my hands in my pockets or pull away.

The development of "common sense" depends on the kind of surroundings that made you.
Granted the incident happened in Amerika but I am just pointing out that "common sense" is not something that is in any way universal.
Also
It is not very pertinent to compare India and the US in this situation.
But we could do that.

Your situation in India would almost certainly involve a language that can be described as English, which would mean less chances of misunderstanding.
Also many of the customs of American police iare alien to Indian police (and therefore indian public): there is no "don't put your hands in your pocket", or "place your hands where I can see them" and so on in India. So this Mr. Patel (who seems old, which implies less hollywood, implies less knowledge of america etc) is probably unaware of such stuff.

Last edited:

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
I will tell you what you have conveyed so far:
  • Walking on the sidewalk is illegal.
  • The burden of proof is on the person walking on the sidewalk.
That is your interpretation of what I conveyed.
Refer to my post on which Mr Ladder has given language barrier bullshit theory.

ladder

Country flag
Read the first post. The police have released their official statement. Currently their legal position is strong.
You have some sixth sense that cops are wrong and Mr. Patel was right, please enlighten me on the same.
You started talking about language barrier.
I give jack shyt to what US police says. Shove it up your ass if you want. I don't find it convincing. I have provided evidence, you none, come back and quote me if you have evidence.
@pmaitra. Do blame me like in DK thread, if I start dealing with posters like them with a heavy hand.

pmaitra

The development of "common sense" depends on the kind of surroundings that made you.
Granted the incident happened in Amerika but I am just pointing out that "common sense" is not something that is in any way universal.
Also
It is not very pertinent to compare India and the US in this situation.
But we could do that.

Your situation in India would almost certainly involve a language that can be described as English, which would mean less chances of misunderstanding.
Also many of the customs of American police is alien to Indian police (and therefore indian public): there is no "don't put your hands in your pocket", or "place your hands where I can see them" and so on in India. So this Mr. Patel (who seems old, which implies less hollywood, implies less knowledge of america etc) is probably unaware of such stuff.
Why compare India with America?

Recently, a sword wielding guy was tackled by the cops in India. Had this been America, the cops would have simply shot him.

Yes, an Indian cop might stop you for minor traffic violation and ask for bribes, but Indians cops are not cowards like these assailants who assaulted Mr. Patel.

Story from Oklahoma:
  • Man, wife, and daughter go to movie theatre.
  • Wife and daughter have an argument.
  • Someone calls 911.
  • Cops come, jump on the man like a bunch of retarded monkeys, and kill him.

Just imagine, a bunch of monkeys sitting on a tree, and you throw some bananas. What would those monkeys do? Jump on the bananas. Same thing happened with these cops in Oklahoma.

thethinker

Country flag
Madison police to speak today on investigation into force used against Indian man left partly paralyzed | AL.com

Madison police must make public the video and audio recording of a police officer's encounter with a 57-year-old Indian man last Friday that left the man partially paralyzed and in a hospital.
Madison Police Chief Larry Muncey has confirmed that the recordings exist, but has said that they will not be released because they are part of an ongoing investigation, which he expects to be completed by week's end.

Alabama Media Group has filed an open records request for the release of those video and audio files and the 911 call that resulted in the encounter.

Sureshbhai Patel, who does not speak English, was walking around his son's suburban neighborhood last Friday when police stopped him and questioned him after getting calls about a suspicious man peering into garages. According to Patel's son and his lawyer, Patel suffered fused vertebrae and partial paralysis after a Madison officer forced him face-first to the ground.

Patel's lawyer, Hank Sherrod, said the officer, unable to navigate the language barrier, escalated to violence without cause and left Patel lying bleeding from his face, paralyzed and in need of paramedics.

The officer has been placed on administrative leave while the incident is investigated.

Madison Police issued a statement Monday saying Patel put his hands in his pockets while being questioned by police and began to pull away when officers attempted to pat him down, causing the officer to take him to the ground.

Did the officer overreact? Was Patel somehow combative? The recordings should offer insight that is sorely lacking today with Madison and its police force under the world's microscope.

It is time they be made public and establish an appropriate level of transparency, which Muncey has promised, as this investigation continues.

pmaitra

I give jack shyt to what US police says. Shove it up your ass if you want. I don't find it convincing. I have provided evidence, you none, come back and quote me if you have evidence.
@pmaitra. Do blame me like in DK thread, if I start dealing with posters like them with a heavy hand.
I have been a bad moderator in the DK thread, that I gave too much leniency to one repeat offender, while not so much to others.

thethinker

Country flag
Indian grandfather injured by Madison police sues over excessive force | AL.com

Sherrod, attorney for Patel, repeatedly questioned the official version of events.

The lawsuit argues "the press release is careful not to say that Patel actually walked up to houses or onto neighbor's property, and the garages into which Patel allegedly looked are either solid or have windows that are inaccessible without a ladder."

"Was there really a call?" the suit asks. "If so, was Patel actually falsely accused of looking into garages? Was the call or the false accusation against Patel fabricated by the Madison Police Department to deflect criticism for paralyzing an innocent man?"

ladder

Country flag

American walking inside even a gated community will be welcomed for tea in every second house. Even if not invited, you shall be stared at, if you smile, smiled back and waved. Indians are not paranoid about Americans especially white. If in touristy place touts will be on your tail and you shall be the one who calls the police.

So, there is one in a million chance of this happening in India.

==============

And especially for you, you should be shot at first sight :taunt1:

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
So what jack shyt you accept??? What evidence have you provided regarding this incidence?
All you talked about was language barrier, me being an Idiot, not accepting police statement while shoving police statement in my a$$ and me not understanding monkey crap.

Spindrift

Well, first of all the Police here would have not stopped you or questioned you for just walking about.

ladder

Country flag
I have been a bad moderator in the DK thread, that I gave too much leniency to one repeat offender, while not so much to others.
No, sorry, you have done a good job there. But, my contention is just to keep Opinion and facts separate. Opinionated theories for facts are a grey area.
Please don't take otherwise.

ladder

Country flag
So what jack shyt you accept??? What evidence have you provided regarding this incidence?
All you talked about was language barrier, me being an Idiot, not accepting police statement while shoving police statement in my a$$ and me not understanding monkey crap.
Yes, precisely. It is perhaps the only post in this thread that you really understood it seems. I see no written facts in your posts so can't reply back.

Peter

Pratik Maitra
Country flag
American walking inside even a gated community will be welcomed for tea in every second house. Even if not invited, you shall be stared at, if you smile, smiled back and waved. Indians are not paranoid about Americans especially white. If in touristy place touts will be on your tail and you shall be the one who calls the police.

So, there is one in a million chance of this happening in India.

==============

And especially for you, you should be shot at first sight :taunt1:
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Unfortunately true.

Last edited:

thethinker

Country flag
World of difference between cops in India here and cops there.

This book explains why cops there are over aggressive and use excessive force.

Rise of the Warrior Cop: The Militarization of America's Police Forces | Cato Institute

Rise of the Warrior Cop: The Militarization of America's Police Forces: Radley Balko: 9781610394574: Amazon.com: Books

Today's armored-up policemen are a far cry from the constables of early America. The unrest of the 1960s brought about the invention of the SWAT unit—which in turn led to the debut of military tactics in the ranks of police officers. Nixon's War on Drugs, Reagan's War on Poverty, Clinton's COPS program, the post–9/11 security state under Bush and Obama: by degrees, each of these innovations expanded and empowered police forces, always at the expense of civil liberties. And these are just four among a slew of reckless programs.

In Rise of the Warrior Cop, Balko shows how politicians' ill-considered policies and relentless declarations of war against vague enemies like crime, drugs, and terror have blurred the distinction between cop and soldier. His fascinating, frightening narrative shows how over a generation, a creeping battlefield mentality has isolated and alienated American police officers and put them on a collision course with the values of a free society.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles