Indian Army Looking for New Assualt Rifle!!!

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Kunal Sir, I request for the comparative performance data of SCAR , MADSADA, Barret & SAR, if possible. Thanks.
Its difficult to Analise without taking it to firing range with instructors, but in therory, all the rifles mentioned above have same blow backs ( 5.56mm) and same handling characteristic except SAR-21 which is a bullpup.. ..

What counts is the rifle survivability in Indian conditions, I like MAGPUL MASADA & HK 417, Sar-21 IS ALSO GUD..

H&K 416/417

Magpul Masada (Bushmaster ACR / Remington ACR)

Last edited by a moderator:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Cz 805 bren

I forgot to mention abt CZ 805 BREN, Its cousin VZ-58 is popular here..

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
guys since IA is looking for Future rifle here is the best contenders

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
guys since IA is looking for Future rifle here is the best contenders

FELIN is a revolution in infantry C4ISR, the FAMAS is a compromise for that system. Any rifle can be fitted with the control set and scope with a quick factory modification.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
i am a little confused. recently drdo issued a statement that in the next 4-5 years indian army will have 2 future indegeneous assault rifles.so why is army issuing requirement for finsas assault rifle.do they intend to import some western rifle in use today to licence produce it and called future rifle?or will they be equipped with the multicaliber weapon that drdo is already in advanced stages of developemen?

Logan

Country flag
Beretta ARX 160, SCAR, HK G36, HK 416/417, BREN, Tavor, FN2000, MSBS Radon,Magpul Masada , SAR-21P RAIL virtually any modern weapon
Guys find out which is cheaper coz this is for whole Army..
I cannot hold back but ask a few questions
1.How can you say that it is for the whole army?
2.The DRDO has claimed to be in the process of developing 2 modern rifles for F-Insas and will be ready only by 2012,so how can they compete the RFI?
3.Some guns like the Magpul Masada aka Bushmaster ACR has interchangeable barrels to fire 7.62 and 5.56,but i doubt if any assault rifle can fire so many different calibers,so is the criteria too high?
4.In some posts you have mentioned that a reflex sight is difficult to maintain for regular infantryman then how on earth can they be given to handle such sophisticated sighting system.
5.Costs of the FN SCAR,HK416 are so high that they are used in limited numbers even by the US Army,then how can we think of equipping an entire army as huge as India's with such weapons?

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Would you please spare us the effort and hold up the essence of it!!LOL
ok, here is short cut, first RFI is issued for buying anything, then long process, firms/companies have to be register with MOD for this, then tender is open, if non registered company gives tender, they have to register, then tender is checked, they are called to display their product, then report is prepare, then price is negotiated, if require, then finally goods deliver.

about FINSAS by DRDO dont worry, DRDO is in running of this contract with OFB, BTW FINSAS is system, whereas they have only asked for the rifle. I think DRDO is front runner as it already have rifle ready, after seeing pics and video.

Logan

Country flag
ok, here is short cut, first RFI is issued for buying anything, then long process, firms/companies have to be register with MOD for this, then tender is open, if non registered company gives tender, they have to register, then tender is checked, they are called to display their product, then report is prepare, then price is negotiated, if require, then finally goods deliver.

about FINSAS by DRDO dont worry, DRDO is in running of this contract with OFB, BTW FINSAS is system, whereas they have only asked for the rifle. I think DRDO is front runner as it already have rifle ready, after seeing pics and video.
First of all thanks for the info....
I know that F-Insas is a complete system which does not depend just on the rifle and will take probably 10 years to be completely inducted maybe,but the question is that what numbers of the modern rifles being referred to are going to be procured,will it be for the entire army or just for the F-Insas project as the specifications are too hi-fi to be deployed for an entire army.Secondly according to reports the DRDO are only in the process of developing the futuristic rifle and they do not have it in ready so how can they compete for the RFI
http://www.zeenews.com/news671706.html

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Logan rifle will be develop by DRDO and will be most probably made by OFB, may be very slim chance that some private company will buy patent from DRDO and sold it to IA.

sandeepdg

My choice is for something similar to the South Korean K-11. Truly an awesome rifle system, state of the art !!

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
My choice is for something similar to the South Korean K-11. Truly an awesome rifle system, state of the art !!
mine too with Felin as Felin system has network centric, BTW cheap choice would be to have MRPS system from Israel, same can be mounted on any rifle including INSAS which will give similar capabilities as K11 or felin system put together.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I cannot hold back but ask a few questions

1.How can you say that it is for the whole army?

2.The DRDO has claimed to be in the process of developing 2 modern rifles for F-Insas and will be ready only by 2012,so how can they compete the RFI?

3.Some guns like the Magpul Masada aka Bushmaster ACR has interchangeable barrels to fire 7.62 and 5.56,but i doubt if any assault rifle can fire so many different calibers,so is the criteria too high?

4.In some posts you have mentioned that a reflex sight is difficult to maintain for regular infantryman then how on earth can they be given to handle such sophisticated sighting system.

5.Costs of the FN SCAR,HK416 are so high that they are used in limited numbers even by the US Army,then how can we think of equipping an entire army as huge as India's with such weapons?

The RFI says Infantry rifle, Now what else could that mean?
Para SF is already armed with tavor and their are no serious problems yet..

Yes, I didn't like it too, It was a surprise..

Yes, But army will chose wisely, If a rifle is good in terms of price and quality without the ability of changing barrels in middle of battlefield, can be considered..

Yes, But RFI also says flip up iron sights, Without iron sight its useless..

Well i cannot comment on this but MOD will have some solution, their are many other contenders also buying in large no with considerably in reduce price and making license production is the goal..

gogbot

DRDO already showcased one of the two new guns

I was under the assumption the carbine being developed was the

MSMC

Of course the primary F-INSAS rifle is still sitting in a lab somewhere.

captonjohn

Country flag
The possible reason for going new rifle may be that GOI want to equip its forces with better rifle as soon as possible. FINSAS would be available on 2012 and it may take 2-3 years to fully equip forces with new gun, hence they are buying these guns from market.

M

maxypan

The army has been using the indigenous 5.56mm×45mm. Indian National Small Arms System (Insas) rifle since the late 1990s, but troops have complained related to the weapons low calibre and poor reliability.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles