India invites Chinese companies to invest in manufacturing zones

Jim Street

Country flag
The obvious question is how you exactly measure that? How you know you have succeeded or not. I noticed you didnt give any exemples either. After all you had what, 6 decades after your independence?
I mean to say, making things all by yourself which may include certain parts being imported. No country is completely 100% indigenous.

And I didn't get what example you want.

We did achieve something in defense, space, medical science, pharmaceuticals, etc etc. List is long, even after 6 decades of independence, we did achieve many things which do put us in many elite categories, we may be inferior in efficiency or overall performance but atleast we did. Do we have problems, yes we have, problems of such scale that if other nations had that, they would be in ruins right now.

I may sound like blind nationalist but I am actually talking about achieving what others achieved and becoming self sufficient. Other nations has lead over us of few decades and in some case of few centuries.
I will be happy to answer your questions, just give a list for which you need answer with more specificity.

P.S. Don't give me argument that we borrowed all those things from others. That may lead to all nations are thieves as they made aircrafts based on Wright brothers airplane on very basic level.

s002wjh

Country flag
What i am really saying is copy the existing technology and then introduce your own R&D. India is working forward to electronic chips manufacturing but that doesn't mean I reinvent the transistor or the architecture. Private companies especially the start ups are trying to innovate and make their own product. Govt. is now paying attention on R&D funding and new technological institutes. Handsome salary is also one issue. The reason Americans are innovative is their education system. We have to start top-down approach to make our education system better. Most of the top engineering and management institutes don't compromise on quality. Its damn hard for an Indian person to get a job in IIT as a teaching faculty if he has done his studies in India. They prefer those who have done it in top world universities. I am talking about current scenario.

Let me quote you an example. My professor published a paper on Artificial rain making. What did the Chinese do ? They took the concept and published another paper by using statistics etc. Now here comes the way India and China will follow. China already uses the artificial rain making process for avoiding droughts.

As a researcher we don't like Chinese, you innovate new idea, they publish 3 or more papers on our paper by adding few variables or using other methods. The benefit they get, they now know what will be the best approach or to say optimal approach. That's how they are getting ahead.

What I want is that Indian companies should maintain their reputation and business ethics but at the same time don't get to egoistical. I remember one of the high ranking Air official asking DRDO to innovate, steal or do anything but just give AESA radar ASAP.

May be we need a separate thread on Innovation, Education System and RD.
well if someone create/invent/publish something, other use the concept but with improving characters, its not acceptable? i read tons paper share same concept but has differen approach etc etc. as long its not copy and as long certain things is change its ok, it does not violate any patent or such. companys do this all the time, so does researcher.

LalTopi

i dont know about that. i know many people love tsingdao beer
Guys. If you ever travel to any Irish sector in any city in the world, for your own safety do not say the UK owns Guinness.

Jim Street

Country flag
well if someone create/invent/publish something, other use the concept but with improving characters, its not acceptable? i read tons paper share same concept but has differen approach etc etc. as long its not copy and as long certain things is change its ok, it does not violate any patent or such. companys do this all the time, so does researcher.
Yup, no problem. But buddy, ask any researcher, who can't keep up with these Chinese researchers. they work day and night, searching for ideas. they have pretty damn good in it. So these researchers get frustrated. Nothing wrong with it, they are doing more hard work but you know what I mean. It most of the times create environment of publishing with small changes and publish in journal with 0.25 Impact factor or less. Its bad for developing countries.

Another thing is citation. In Asian countries' authors, I do find lack of citations.

Coming on quality :-
If I had to read about any thing, I pick research articles of authors of US, UK, German and few other European countries (haven't followed Russian). Same in case of journals and their editors/country etc. Indians who really publish good articles are either working US, studied and worked for a long time or do collaborative work with researchers of these countries.

Last edited:

redragon

Country flag
Totally agree. But those that can afford to pay more dont buy anything Chinese. And there arent any Chinese products competing in that market. Please do not quote Lenovo as an example. It is akin to saying all steel from Arcelor Mittal or cars from Jaguar Land Rover is Indian technological expertise.
So you believe Indian are rich??? We offer you the chance to enjoy some mordern day products with a price acceptable to you, and you are whinning "it's unfair"? however, without Chinese products, you don't even have the chance, you simply can't afford those "high quality non-crap".
And by the way, you can see made in China everywhere in north america, from low end dollarama to high end furniture retail sellers, from low technology products such as clothes to high end such as telecommunication devices. And Huawei is opening a lot offices in North America, you can see it's sign on more and more class A commercial buildings. Even ICBC which had not branch 2-3 yrs earlier and now has more branches than ICICI which entered north america way earlier in some cities. Do you think people are poorer in North America than in India?

no smoking

Country flag
Just a few years ago, there is one thing that india media or friends keep pointing out: Chinese copies, indian innovate. Then 2010, bang! India was lagging behind China on international innovation list!

Now, indians starts to talk about indian companies' reputation. Wait second, what is this "reputation"? How many indian companies are selling indian products with indian brand overseas?
I am living in Australia, I can find Germany brands, Japanese brands and Korea brands. Now I can even see some Chinese brands although they are not giving you good impression.
But I have never see an india brands except indian stores unless you regard "LandRover" as an indian brands.
So, what is this reputation you talking about?

Known_Unknown

Devil's Advocate
Just a few years ago, there is one thing that india media or friends keep pointing out: Chinese copies, indian innovate. Then 2010, bang! India was lagging behind China on international innovation list!

Now, indians starts to talk about indian companies' reputation. Wait second, what is this "reputation"? How many indian companies are selling indian products with indian brand overseas?
I am living in Australia, I can find Germany brands, Japanese brands and Korea brands. Now I can even see some Chinese brands although they are not giving you good impression.
But I have never see an india brands except indian stores unless you regard "LandRover" as an indian brands.
So, what is this reputation you talking about?
Land Rover and Jaguar. How much more Indian can you get? Jeez! :p

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles