I propose to have new secret foreign policy code named :- India All Weather Friends.

Madhavbhartia

Hi All,

This is my first post...I was just wondering whats new we can contribute to the foreign policy of India...Lets come up with some new ideas.... I am very new to this forum and I have no previous experience....so I would expect people to be constructive & guide me...so that I can improve in the thought...

I believe its very important for India as a nation to have few "All Weather Friends". We have definately seen that for every nation ups & downs are there. Today India is in upwards trend....we may be downward sometime...similarily some other nation...so we need to have a group of friends who help you & you help them back...in all weathers....

1> Have atleast 1 "All Weather friend" in regional unions of nations
The reason I am saying that, no nation should be able to get a whole regional union against India if we get a strong friend in all groupings. At the same time, it gives us extra soft power to push for some resolution against our adversary or those which can benefit India economocially, militarily, or strategically. I will put just one nation which I think will be most prefered in each category. At the end we can compile a list of most prefered friends and then India can work more closely with them. <Hypothetical situation, as if I am foreign Minister...he he>
a> List of Group/unions which I can think of <feel free to add>
African Union consisting of 53 African states. The only African state not in the AU is Morocco.
In AU, South Africa will suit India the best. South Africa & India has literally no conflicts. There is a large group of South Africans of Indian descent. Mahatma Gandhi, spent many years in South Africa, during which time, he fought for the rights of the ethnic Indians. Nelson Mandela was inspired by Gandhi. Also They are close in various forums like IBSA.

ASEAN is a geo-political and economic organization of 10 countries located in Southeast Asia. Economically, culturally, militarily as well as strategically its very important for India. Also all members of ASEAN also form East Asia (EAS) also, to which India is also part of. ASEAN is one where India & China are competing for influence.
In ASEAN, Vietnam will be my Pick. As its Anti-china, miltarily capable & share some good history with India along with economical benefits. Also both are members of Mekong-Ganga Cooperation. Both India & Vietnam are already helping each other.

Cooperation Council for the Arab States of the Gulf (CCASG) comprises the Persian Gulf states of Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates. For India, its very important. More than 50% of the oil consumed by India comes from the Persian Gulf countries[181] and Indian nationals form the largest expatriate community in the Arabian peninsula.
Here I will put Qatar as most favoured. Saudi Arabia are more pro-pakistan as compared to India. Also one of the reason for Qatar is that we already have a landmark defense pact was signed, under which India committed its military assets to protect "Qatar from external threats".

Commonwealth of Independent States (CIS) + Eurasian Economic Community (EAEC) is a regional organization whose participating countries are former Soviet Republics, formed during the breakup of the Soviet Union.
Here I will put RUSSIA..=ru+, India & RUSSIA have a time tested friendship + there relationship is win-win situation in defence area.

Union of South American Nations is an intergovernmental union integrating two existing customs unions: Mercosur and the Andean Community of Nations, as part of a continuing process of South American integration. It is modeled on the European Union.
Here I will make Brazil ..=-b/ras the preferred choice. Most of the foreign policy stands matches with Brazil also both countries are already discussing in IBSA forum.

Arab League is a regional organisation of Arab states in North and Northeast Africa, and Southwest Asia.
I will prefer Egypt here as potential All weather friend for India. India & Egypt are also founding members of NAM and both have supported each other.

North American (NAFTA) Not sure whom to pick...Canada / US / Mexico....Not sure....U ppl suggest....:confused:

Pacific Islands Forum is an inter-governmental organization that aims to enhance cooperation between the independent countries of the Pacific Ocean.
Here, I will prefer New Zealand. One of the reason not to choose Australia is that ppl to ppl contact between two nations doesn't seem to be converging. I didn't choose Fiji <From groupings perspective> as its suspended now.

The European Union (EU)./e/u is an economic and political union of 27 member states[8] which are located primarily in Europe.
here I will prefer, France. --+f/rYes, you are right. France, Russia and Israel were the only countries that did not condemn India's decision to go nuclear in 1998.[164] In 2003, France became the largest supplier of nuclear fuel and technology to India and remains a large military and economic trade partner. India's permanent member aspirations in the UN Security Council have found very strong support from former French President Chirac and more recently by the current French President Nicolas Sarkozy.

Organisation of the Islamic Conference (OIC) is an international organisation with a permanent delegation to the United Nations, with 57 member states.
Iran :- It has proved already that it regard India as friend when it saved India when it was in a mess from Kashmir Issue being adopted in OIC. I hate to say that India voted against them for nuclear. I wish India build that relation ship back & informally apologise to Iran who has always been our friend. Strategically, Its also neighbour of Pakistan and it will help us.

2> Try to be "All Weather friend" with countries with lot of Ethnic Indians
Here my picks are
a> Mauritius :- Majority are from Indian Origin + its already very close friend.
b> Not Malaysia==no+=way== :- Wont be an all weather friend for sure...they somehow dont like India, I feel. But we need to be friend, not all weather though. Malaysia most of the times take anti India posture. So wont pick it
c> Singapore :- Strategically + Economically. Lot of PIOs are there
d> Caribbean (Guyana, Suriname, and Trinidad and Tobago) :- Miltarily + strategically not very important. But has huge Indian Origin presence.
e> Fiji :- Lot of PIOs are there. Miltarily + strategically not very important. But India needs to be friend to protect Indian Origin people.

3> Strategic allies + Misc
My Picks here are:-
Israel ..0+i=:- Lot of military training & execution can be learnt from them. Nice to be on ur side rather than against you.
Tajikstan :- India already have troops stationed there + Energy security in Central Asia.
JAPAN :- It has money + technology, India has market. Both are threatened by China. Win-win.

4> All Neighbours except Pakistan + China India needs to be close to its neighbour and somehow break the China's "String of Pearls" in Indian ocean

List of All weather Friends I propose :-
1> South Africa <Member of African Union, IBSA>
2> Vietnam < Member of Asean, EAS>
3> Qatar (CCASG, Gulf)
4> RUSSIA (CIS, EAEC)..=ru+
5> Brazil (South America)..=-b/r
6> Egypt (Arab League, African Union)
7> New Zealand (Pacific Islands)
8> France (EU)
9> Mauritius (Indian Oceans, PIOs)
10> Singapore (EAS, ASEAN, PIOs)
11> Israel (Miltarily)
12> Tajikstan (Energy, Military)
13> Iran (Energy, OIC, Militarily)
14> JAPAN (Strategically, technology)
15> SAARC countries except Pakistan

Optionals
Carribean (Optional, PIOs)
Fiji (Optional, PIOs)

What do you guys think of new Policy "Make All weather friends" ....Once we have good number of All weather freinds Enemies will have to think before taking some mischeievios steps...I know India is self sufficient, but in this world its very important to link and form strategic alliance...

But India should keep this policy secret & not reveal it...:dont20tell:

Last edited:

S.A.T.A

There are perceptibly no all weather friends,only all permeating interests.All friendship,all weather or otherwise,will be and should be sacrificed at the alter of national interest.The mother of all 'all weather friendship' was the US-UK friendship,which survived two world wars and a cold war.Even this solid friendship was put to the greats of test during the Falkland war,when USA staunchly refused to open support Margaret thatcher's military action against the Argentina over the disputed Falkland islands.Argentinian dictator president Galtieri was considered one America's closes allies against communists in Latin America and USA was unwilling to sacrifice him even for its so called 'all weather friend'.......Supporting either Argentina or UK would have impinged on US interest,hence she played neutral.

maomao

Veteran Hunter of Maleecha
Country flag
Now its no secret, our future foreign policy is out :)

civfanatic

Retired
Ambassador
Having friends is always good, but every country always puts their own interests first before others.

Right now, we have only "all-weather" friend and that is Russia, but even Russia cannot/will not do everything for us. We (India) need to be as independent and self-sufficient as possible.

ejazr

Ambassador
Well as Sun Tzu said in his famous book the Art of War, multiply your friends and divide (reduce) your enemies

Agree with SATA on the fact that there are no permanant friends, only permanant interests.

At present given the geo-potical scenario, China and Pakistan are the only two countries that we have a longterm problem with. All other countries and regional blocks, we have no direct clash with and should try to build relations with them even if they have antagonistic relations among themselves.

I take the example of the US here. The main policy aim for the US seems to be that it becomes a unipolar state. Meaning each country has a better relationship with the US rather than its neighbour. Example, Even though Japan and China are neighbours, arguably both of them have better relations with US than with each other. The same goes with India and Pakistan. India should keep this in mind and build on this stance.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles