Gotabaya Rajapaksa sworn in as new Sri Lankan president

HeinzGud

Country flag
Art360? I didn't get that part,mate. I think u were referring to Art370 of J&K which was scrapped in Aug. But that ain't related remotely to SL. Afaik,our present govt is inclined towards security and stability in the region, so no, raw will not give troubles 2 u, it only does it's job. Anyways,congrats for electing a strong personality. Hope ur new govt looks at strengthening ties within subcontinent and help us in our war against Islamic terror which is hindering peace and prosperity of all nations in IOR.
Yes. Sorry it should be corrected as Article 370.

Of course A370 does not relate a bit to Sri Lanka. But, we would like to see that India would not attempt similar process in Sri Lanka to further their own agendas. I mean like Amit Shah's role in pushing A370.

@tarunraju @captscooby81

HeinzGud

Country flag
Actually SL can benefit a lot from connectivity with the rest of the world. For that first it needs to connect with India which is the door of S.Asia to the world. You can't just have a stable govt and yet don't reap benefits outta it like Burmese junta-land, closed. SL has a huge HR potential. U can have a robust services sector which makes u even richer per capita. U need to tap the adv of being in a prime location with a smaller population.
We are connected to the world. We just do not need a land connection with India.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
To be precise, Sri Lanka never undermined Indian military or strategic interest purposefully. We never welcomed Chinese, US or Pakistani military presence in Sri Lanka even during the civil war. It never occured beyond 2009 as well.

India should not be paranoid about Sri Lanka. We are no military threat to India.

However, the chance of giving Tamils more power or authority is slim to none.
After India lost a prime minster to plans hatched in Sri Lanka , I wonder if this “paranoia” argument is valid.

And also don’t forget the original target of recent church bombings was India, they changed their target later.

Saying this while recognising the mistakes made in the past.

HeinzGud

Country flag
Re: Kashmir;370.

This excuse has outlived its utility.

1. India punished you because you allowed Americans and Pakistan during 1965 and 1971 war and thereafter.

2. India has god-given right to react if you do not behave like a normal neighbour.

3. To my frustration, India helped you eradicate LTTE even when we had no compulsion to garner your support on any of our internal issues including Kashmir and we still don't care.

4. India will never interfere in your matters if the spillover does not flood our shores. This is our document of faith for all the neighbours. We do not dumb down our own conventions.

5. The reality for Sri Lanka is and it must be humbly acknowledged; no patronizing from our side. India is too big for you guys to have any chip to use. Look at our forum we always acknowledge the power and respect it while calculating our response. We do not punch above our weight this why we are acceptable to all flavours of Geo-politics. Sri Lanka can learn a couple of things from us. There is no harm being a realist.
1) This is complete hogwash. Sri Lanka never allowed any belligerent against India to use our soil.

2) India needs to adjust their scopes. Sri Lanka is not hostile towards India.

3) We acknowledge India's support. But India has leaned too much towards Tamils. Tamils are not a prosecuted minority.

HeinzGud

Country flag
After India lost a prime minster to plans hatched in Sri Lanka , I wonder if this “paranoia” argument is valid.

And also don’t forget the original target of recent church bombings was India, they changed their target later.

Saying this while recognising the mistakes made in the past.
That hatched plans has a history intertwined with your former PM as well. It was not a spontaneous incident. By the way all the perpetrators of that crime is either dead or in side jails. Why should India keep this paranoia alive so long?

How do you know that the original target was India? LTJ was a local outfit. I hardly believe that they had any capacity to operate Internationally.

Assassin 2.0

Country flag
1) This is complete hogwash. Sri Lanka never allowed any belligerent against India to use our soil.
Lie.

Pak thanks Lanka for help in 1971 war.

On a day India's top bureaucrats including the foreign secretary and national security advisor reached Colombo for a series of crucial bilateral meetings, Pakistan thanked Sri Lanka for all the help it provided Islamabad during the 1971 war against India.

Further, Pakistan made it clear that the resolving the dispute over Kashmir was essential for peace in the region.

In her speech addressed to a Lanka-Pakistan business council in Colombo on Friday, Pakistani high commissioner, Seema Ilahi Baloch said that Saarc as a regional group could become more effective for economic development if "we resolve our political issues with India including the core issue of Jammu and Kashmir."

"We hope you appreciate that just as Sri Lanka has not compromised on its integral issues of sovereignty, nor can we. We understand that to attain durable peace in our region, the Kashmir dispute must be resolved by peaceful means in accordance with the UN resolutions and the wishes of the Kashmiri people," Baloch said.

Baloch made her remarks as Nirupama Rao, Shiv Shankar Menon and defence secretary, Pradeep Kumar reached Colombo to meet President Mahinda Rajapaksa and other top officials.

Earlier in her speech, Baloch said Sri Lanka's help to Pakistan during the 1971 war could never be forgotten.

"We in Pakistan cannot forget the logistical and political support Sri Lanka extended to us in 1971 when it opened its refueling facilities for us," she said.

During the 1971 war, Pakistani aircraft refueled at the Bandaranaike airport while on way to East Pakistan, which later became Bangladesh. Because Pakistani aircraft couldn't fly over India, the planes had to stop here to refuel.

Interestingly, during the same time when Pakistani aircraft were filling their fuel tanks inside the airport, a limited contingent of Indian army troops were deployed to guard airport's periphery against an attack by extreme Left insurgents.

It is widely believed that Indo-Lanka diplomatic relations were considerably soured after Colombo allowed the refueling.

"We have tried to contribute to Sri Lanka's endeavour to achieve peace for its people…," Baloch said.

During the last years of the war against the Tamil Tigers, Pakistan and China were among the top suppliers of arms and ammunition to Sri Lanka.

Baloch also spoke about a signing a Comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement (CEPA) with Sri Lanka. A similar agreement between India and Sri Lanka has been stalled because of opposition from certain political parties and entrepreneurs.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/worl...in-1971-war/story-UpZWXd0fFX5eDPac0KMIYL.html

Assassin 2.0

Country flag
In 1971.
Pakistan and US made siri lanka believe that india is invading east Pakistan. Their next target can be siri lanka too. And because of this clever game of US and Pakistan lanka felt the heat and choose to side with Rich western world and Pakistan.

Deathstar

Country flag
Past is past. Look towards the future. We have had cultural relations with SL for 1000s of years ,from the days of Ramayana. Plus the Buddhist and Tamil relation.
SL suportes us on article 370 and appreciated for creating a buddhist majority state.
Indentity of India should be Dharmic which includes Hindus , Budhhists , Jains , Sikhs

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
That hatched plans has a history intertwined with your former PM as well. It was not a spontaneous incident. By the way all the perpetrators of that crime is either dead or in side jails. Why should India keep this paranoia alive so long?

How do you know that the original target was India? LTJ was a local outfit. I hardly believe that they had any capacity to operate Internationally.
Like I said, I recognise the mistakes done in the past.

I have put forth a point of view, which is based on ground reality.

in the aftermath of church bombings, Multiple arrests have happened in India as well as part of the bombing investigation.

And don’t forget the inputs given by Indian intelligence was ignored by Sri Lankan intelligence, isn’t there a possibility that some people in your intelligence agencies have similar opinions on India just like your. Not being able to compartmentalise between regional politics and national good.

I am saying this mistrust should end.

captscooby81

Country flag
You still not explaining what does Art370 an act which is internal to india has to do with Srilanka and what kind of pushing my Amit shah . AS is india's home minister not some international minister .. still confused

please elaborate

Yes. Sorry it should be corrected as Article 370.

Of course A370 does not relate a bit to Sri Lanka. But, we would like to see that India would not attempt similar process in Sri Lanka to further their own agendas. I mean like Amit Shah's role in pushing A370.

@tarunraju @captscooby81

hit&run

United States of Hindu Empire
Mod

2) India needs to adjust their scopes. Sri Lanka is not hostile towards India.

3) We acknowledge India's support. But India has leaned too much towards Tamils. Tamils are not a prosecuted minority.
I won't contest your points.

Bygones are bygones.

All I want now is full-on economic activity between both the countries, expect SL to check on JIhadi menace and ISI operations from their country.

Sanglamorre

Country flag
You still not explaining what does Art370 an act which is internal to india has to do with Srilanka and what kind of pushing my Amit shah . AS is india's home minister not some international minister .. still confused

please elaborate
Arrey bhai. 370 is like a terror word now. What our neighbours mean is that we have the balls to remove 370 in a region of a probable nuclear flashpoint, we can thrash any in our neighbourhood as punishment when we see fir. . That's what they are afraid of.

Flying Dagger

Country flag

The history is those sitting in office decided to help Srilanka against LTTE .

Why should India keep this paranoia alive ?

Do you spell "D U M B " as your name ?

If not then throw your word after thinking.

We lost our PM because he helped you atleast you should be thankful to his support and respect the sacrifice of our martyred soldiers for you everytime it is mentioned.

You massacred Tamils based on superficial Ethnic superiority complex and religious hatred.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tamil_Genocide_by_Sri_Lanka

Both were as stupid a reason as it can be Tamils were right to fight for their rights life and respect. So be sympathetic to them for what you did and apologise.

You didn't came into Srilanka from heaven in Burak like porks in Pakistan. You both are fucking indian ethnic groups from this subcontinent the least you could have done is not fight based on ethnicity .

Remember what a pakistani cricketer said to Dilshan ?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...Vaw3l3E1HW18253ubcHsOgazL&cshid=1574130118637

But now you have moved on to China Pakistan nexus again despite all what we did for you to contain LTTE.You do understand its not 1971 and such misadventure by SL won't go unpunished,India will not let you enjoy from a balcony seat.

Bhurki

The history is those sitting in office decided to help Srilanka against LTTE .

Why should India keep this paranoia alive ?

Do you spell "D U M B " as your name ?

If not then throw your word after thinking.

We lost our PM because he helped you atleast you should be thankful to his support and respect the sacrifice of our martyred soldiers for you everytime it is mentioned.

You massacred Tamils based on superficial Ethnic superiority complex and religious hatred.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tamil_Genocide_by_Sri_Lanka

Both were as stupid a reason as it can be Tamils were right to fight for their rights life and respect. So be sympathetic to them for what you did and apologise.

You didn't came into Srilanka from heaven in Burak like porks in Pakistan. You both are fucking indian ethnic groups from this subcontinent the least you could have done is not fight based on ethnicity .

Remember what a pakistani cricketer said to Dilshan ?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...Vaw3l3E1HW18253ubcHsOgazL&cshid=1574130118637

But now you have moved on to China Pakistan nexus again despite all what we did for you to contain LTTE.You do understand its not 1971 and such misadventure by SL won't go unpunished,India will not let you enjoy from a balcony seat.
Lol, chill dude, he's not the one running the country..

Flying Dagger

Country flag
Lol, chill dude, he's not the one running the country..
I know he is a kid at best but they need to know their history . Unfortunately in their books Tamils are blamed one sided despite the fact the sinhalese did the most horrible crimes against tamils.

By conceding to them won't make them aware they need to be reminded and information put on forums so others know it too.

Bhurki

I know he is a kid at best but they need to know their history . Unfortunately in their books Tamils are blamed one sided despite the fact the sinhalese did the most horrible crimes against tamils.

By conceding to them won't make them aware they need to be reminded and information put on forums so others know it too.
India too wasn't exactly sure what to do.
They initially trained the LTTE only to kill them later.

Flying Dagger

Country flag
India too wasn't exactly sure what to do.
They initially trained the LTTE only to kill them later.
True and it created a rift inside India due to that stupidity.

Between CIA stooge Swami had some role to play in that. I don't understand that guy if he is truly changed now as he claim.

ForigenSanghi

Country flag
It means that Sri Lanka will not tolerate gimmicks like that. Backdoor deals, RAW etc.,
RAW operates in all countries of interest to India. SriLanka just happens to be one of those countries.

If Gotabaya tries to be a smart-ass like Mahinda did back in 2014, RAW will have to get to work again. The decision lies with Gotabaya if he wants to stay neutral or step on India's toes.

Europe and America are going to be hostile to Gotabaya. India can help mitigate that hostility but only if Sri Lanka keeps out Chinese navy (disguised or not).

To be precise, Sri Lanka never undermined Indian military or strategic interest purposefully. We never welcomed Chinese, US or Pakistani military presence in Sri Lanka even during the civil war. It never occured beyond 2009 as well.

India should not be paranoid about Sri Lanka. We are no military threat to India.
Its not paranoia. Sri Lanka helped Pakistan in 1971 war. It still has a lot of pakistani intelligence agents trying to destabilize South India.
If that was not enough, Mahinda also created the situation to hand over the port as a naval base to the Chinese.

Sri Lanka should work on economic development rather than getting caught up in the geo-political game between big powers like it did in the past.

Indrajit

Country flag
India was one of the original targets, that was there in the intelligence report itself. The High Commission was a prime target, didn’t happen because of enhanced security. Also the Taj Hotel escaped only because there was an issue with the bomb which went of later in a smaller place.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles