Gangs of Wasseypur

ashdoc

Country flag
When a British director ( I forgot his name ) was shown the Raj Kapoor movie AAN , at the end of it when he was asked his opinion about it he answered ,'' It just goes AWN and AWN and AWN.....''

He could have well been talking about this film.....

For it certainly goes on and on and on.....

This is certainly the longest movie I have seen in some time .

And if the director wanted to show the futility of attempting revenge in a bloodsoaked dog-eat-dog land where everyone is pointlessly killing each other then he has been certainly effective in that----for the leading actor's ( such a violent character can hardly be called '' hero '' ) attempt to take revenge for a past crime is so tedious and long lasting that you will surely get convinced about its futility towards the end......especially because the whole attempt is unsuccessful in the end .

And in showing this attempted revenge the director has been successful in giving epic treatment to the movie---for the movie spans three generations.....all generations indulging in bloodlust , for such is the character of the badlands that are the coal mines of Bihar.....

The movie begins during British rule and ends in the late twentieth century.....but does it really end ??? for the director says in the end that the story is incomplete---obviously the cycle of revenge and counter-revenge and violence is going the continue , far beyond the span of the movie.....indeed it is a saga without end---the saga of Bihar/ Jharkhand......

The movie is violent , but not as violent as publicised---for in between the bouts of violence the male characters find time for romance with goodlooking women....indeed the leading character finds time to marry two women , the second one being sexier than the first....

Indeed , you cannot show violence all the time in such a lengthy movie.....and in fact all the permutations and combinations in such a long movie cannot be retold here---I am not going to agonise myself by trying to tell the complicated story here.....

What holds the film together is the bravura preformance of Manoj Bajpai---indeed its a role tailormade for his type of acting.....one cannot imagine the film without him.....

There are some killer dialogues which will win seetis and taalis , and overall the atmosphere in Bihar is well picturised in the film---but whether these things will be sufficient to take it far at the box office is something that only time will tell.....

My opinion---just about okay.....

ashdoc

Country flag
Can someone change the title of the thread to ''' Ashdoc's movie review---Gangs of Wasseypur '' . Thanks in advance .

KS

Bye bye DFI
looks like another Rakthacharitra..only this time it is not Rayalseema but Bihar...

ashdoc

Country flag
looks like another Rakthacharitra..only this time it is not Rayalseema but Bihar...
Muslim rakhtacharitra . except one gang most gangs are muslim and the community is shown to be muslim .

SPIEZ

Country flag
Lol, there's more screen space for Reema Sen's back then her front :troll:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Where the hell is this Wasseypur?

All washed up?

My wife is a movie buff and I purposely read the review of Ashdoc so as to discourage her from wasting my money at some silly movie plex!

Iamanidiot

I heard its similar to Raktacharitra except that Raktacharitra happened and is still continuing in real life

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
First half was OK but second half lost the plot and focus and there was no need for second part of this movie. They should have wrapped movie in one go with a tight script. It would have worked wonders. 2 out of 5 from me.

ashdoc

Country flag
Where the hell is this Wasseypur?

All washed up?

My wife is a movie buff and I purposely read the review of Ashdoc so as to discourage her from wasting my money at some silly movie plex!
nice to know that review helped you in you personal life :thumb:

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Okay all my friends highly recommend it. It will go down well with the younger members.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
What an amazing movie, loved the characters, loved the story and loved the gaalis !!

Galaxy

Country flag
Today, I am going to watch. :cool:

And i don't read review before i watch the movie.

Sabir

DFI TEAM
I watched it today. Nice characters, nice dialogues but what is missing......the binding of the story....

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles