Ganesh vs. Hitler play upsets Hindus

ejazr

Ambassador
I don't understand why Aussies keep shooting themselves in the foot. There are plenty of Indians in Melbourne that they could ask on how to present Hindu icons and make sure they are not being disrespectful.

I have a feeling this may end becoming another one of those bad patches in India-Australia relations as the news spreads about this in India.

Ganesh vs. Hitler play upsets Hindus - Hindustan Times

Hindus are concerned at the play 'Ganesh Versus the Third Reich', which is having a world premiere at Melbourne Festival in Australia on September 29.

Acclaimed Hindu statesman Rajan Zed, in a statement in Nevada (USA) today, said that Lord Ganesh was meant to be worshipped in temples and home shrines and not to be made a laughing stock on theater stages.

Zed, who is President of Universal Society of Hinduism, argued that Lord Ganesh was divine and theater/film/art were welcome to create projects about/around him showing his true depiction as mentioned in the scriptures. Creating irrelevant imaginary imagery, like reportedly depicting him being tortured and interrogated by Nazi SS, hurt the devotees.

Its creator, internationally acclaimed "Back to Back Theatre", itself calls it a "strange" fable, "rambunctious". Describing the play, media release of co-presenter Malthouse Theatre says that Ganesh "seeks to go one-on-one with Hitler". It is also described by some as "wildly inventive ride through history, where sacred icons and rituals become weapons" and "brimming with humour".

Rajan Zed argued that taxpayer funded organizations like Australia Council for the Arts, Arts Victoria, and City of Melbourne; which supported this play; should be more vigilant in their selections.

Zed further pointed out that we needed to be more sensitive about the feelings of "others". Recently, depiction of Hindu Goddess Lakshmi on swimwear at a fashion event held in Sydney (Australia) resulted in worldwide protests. Popular radio host Kyle Sandilands recently made derogatory remarks, ridiculing Hindus' holy river Ganga, on Sydney's hit music station. Australian swimwear company, Sandilands and his radio station later apologized after the protests.

jamwal

Country flag
People, specially this Rajan guy should learn to relax and develop a sense of humour. He is getting really annoying with his protests at every single thing, which "he thinks" is offensive

Patriot

Country flag
Seems it has become routine practice of aussies to humiliate sentiments of Hindus by various means. It is just the symbol of bankrupt civic intellect , harmony & mutual respect in aussies. Aussies are genetically psychos. We should not expect the civilized behavior from aussies , as there ancestors were criminals, barbaric people & this country was being used by English as prison island. Crime is in there crippled genes.

Patriot

Country flag
People, specially this Rajan guy should learn to relax and develop a sense of humour. He is getting really annoying with his protests at every single thing, which "he thinks" is offensive
Jamwal Sir, playing with one's religious sentiments & devotion is not a subject of humour. There are infinite subject are there for the healthy & civilized humour. In addition , it is very much convincingly "Offensive". The Aussies are doing this deliberately again & again.

Why we should be act like spineless creature on the name of Humour, that too when our Deity is a subject for their sick humour.

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
No doubt they will use the "freedom of expression" card again.

maomao

Veteran Hunter of Maleecha
Country flag
Let then make a play and have a few laughs - Aussies/West do similar stuff with Jesus; hence this yard stick does not apply to them. If it would have been some islamists doing this then this yard stick would apply - as you do not want us top insult your religion, hence you should not insult ours. As West ridicules their own religion - this kinda give them a right to do the same with others in their territory - though an oxymoron expression of words; however, kind of logical if you think from their POV.

Last edited:

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Let then make a play and have a few laughs - Aussies/West do similar stuff with Jesus; hence this yard stick does not apply to them. If it would have been some islamists doing this then this yard stick would apply - as you do not want us top insult your religion, hence you should not insult ours. As West ridicules their own religion - this kinda give them a right to do the same with others in their territory - though an oxymoron expression of words; however, kind of logical if you think from their POV.
I dont agree.

If they rape there mothers then that doesn't mean they can rape ours.

You see its not logical anymore.

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
Rajan Zed is stupid. Aussies are stupider. 'Nuff said.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Hindus can show they are as Intolerant as Islamic fanatics and gain some good name. This is moronic to get offended when Ganesh is getting the rod but you laugh when jesus or Alla gets insulted. There is nothing wrong in pokeing fun of your faith, if your so called faith did not teach you not to get offended then it was not worth believing in it in the first place, if it can not teach you higher values of tolerant discretion then what is the need of a faith that does not make you a more evolved human being, when animals behave in the same way when you step on their territory then your faith has only turned you into an intolerant monster with some curtseys.

Last edited:

The Messiah

Bow Before Me!
Hindus can show they are as Intolerant as Islamic fanatics and gain some good name. This is moronic to get offended when Ganesh is getting the rod but you laugh when jesus or Alla gets insulted. There is nothing wrong in pokeing fun of your faith, if your so called faith did not teach you not to get offended then it was not worth believing in it in the first place, if it can not teach you higher values of tolerant discretion then what is the need of a faith that does not make you a more evolved human being, when animals behave in the same way when you step on their territory then your faith has only turned you into an intolerant monster with some curtseys.
I can see your point of view. I dismiss religion as nonsense regularly but going out of ones way to introduce a play to mock others sentiments isn't on. I didn't like it when they mocked islam and i dont like it now. light humor is one thing and ridiculing is another.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
ashdoc Happy Ganesh chaturthi everyone Members Corner 1
Hemu Vikram Aditya HAPPY GANESH CHATURTHI History & Culture 7
Rowdy Happy Ganesh Chaturthi Members Corner 8
I Ganesh Chaturthi History & Culture 8