Gagan Shakti 2018: The IAF Will Field 1,100 Aircraft For Mega War Exerc

Berkut

Country flag
I wish we had some cockpit GoPro shots and some POV shots as well

sorcerer

Country flag

WARREN SS

Country flag
Oh...! Man what an over confidence those idiots got.........
1 jF17 = 100 sukhoi's.
Pakistani's are plagued with religious fanatical bias in there military thinking wonder why they always failed.

There military itself giving support to jihadi mindset Environment over logical reasoning.It is good in long term for Us

They are in living in shell of WOW same like they use to live before 1971.

Do you really think than any sane expert will say Lightweight category fighter
Is better in terms of ops agaisnt twin engine heavy category aircraft like Su-30mki

The sheer payload capicity of Su-30MKI makes it beast to reckon with in war

Specially when you flying F-16 as your primary fighter who's maintenance and tech support is in the hands of US which known for it dubious political strings and Sanctions

Let them live in fool paradise they will realize truth when reality will hit them

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
3000 to 4000 sorties per day ?!? (0_0).. Bloody hell i'm going to be nervous looking at the news every morning until this excersice is over. This is going to be a monumental achievement if IAF gets out of this without a scratch.
It was 5000 sorties in 3 days but the only loss was a Heron drone of the Navy. To pull off that many sorties without a single casualty is record breaking for India. Even the US would lose an F-16 or something.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Those who are flying them now in Ex Gagan Shakti!

By the way, why are we spending millions on weaponizing the Hawk if they can't be used in combat? This one has been christened the Combat Hawk or Hawk-i.

Hawk-I isn’t Combat Hawk, Hawk I is HAL’s MLU of EXISTING Hawk Mk.132s, they have added some new avionics and updated the cockpit. Combat Hawk was to be a NEW BUILD modified version of the Hawk with an enhanced engine and weapons/sensor capability.

Advanced Hawk is something different still. It is a new build enchanced TRAINER that can simulate 5th gen fighter cockpits and systems.

Hawk-I is the only one of these that is a reality, the number of Hawks has not increased, IAF only want it for trainer roles.
It was 5000 sorties in 3 days but the only loss was a Heron drone of the Navy. To pull off that many sorties without a single casualty is record breaking for India. Even the US would lose an F-16 or something.
That Heron had nothing to do with this EX, it was undertaking regular surveillance ops.

pankaj nema

Country flag
Hawk-I isn’t Combat Hawk, Hawk I is HAL’s MLU of EXISTING Hawk Mk.132s, they have added some new avionics and updated the cockpit. Combat Hawk was to be a NEW BUILD modified version of the Hawk with an enhanced engine and weapons/sensor capability.

Advanced Hawk is something different still. It is a new build enchanced TRAINER that can simulate 5th gen fighter cockpits and systems.

Hawk-I is the only one of these that is a reality, the number of Hawks has not increased, IAF only want it for trainer roles.

That Heron had nothing to do with this EX, it was undertaking regular surveillance ops.
A news report said that All Trainees too have been included
and The Regular academic sessions have been stopped
As it would happen in a real war

The Trainees can fly the Hawks

The Hawks have got Range and can carry 3 tonnes of Load
even if they dont have speed

They can drop Bombs on the enemy in the Follow on Attacks
on their Air fields

My understanding is that IAF is Practicing Taking down All PAF bases in 72 hours with this Surge operations
ie High Intensity Attacks ie 5000 sorties in Three days

And when The Big Boys turn over to the China Border the Residual Work will be done by the Smaller planes like Mig 21 ; Mig 27 and Hawks

We have 100 plus Hawks ; it is better to use them in a war

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag

Are you aware that the IAF wants Brimstone & ASRAAM for its Hawk trainers, slinging six Brimstone and a pair of ASRAAMs on its over 120 Hawks? If as you say the Hawks can't be used in war, then why is the IAF wanting to arm them?

That's because there was a long felt need to stretch the Hawk fleet beyond its baseline training duties to potential war assets if and when hostilities break out.

HAL had taken up the indigenous role change development program last year to convert the jet trainer into a Combat-Ready platform. With the upgrade, Hawk-i is capable of delivering precision Munitions including Air to Ground and close combat weapons, self defence capabilities through Electronic Warfare systems, digital map generator and operational reliability through new Dual Hot stand-by Mission Computer Avionics architecture.

And these weaponized Hawks are being used in the ongoing Exercise Gagan Shakti very effectively.

So yes, the new Hawk-i ( i stands for India) are being weaponized. These Hawks would be ideal for local Air Defense and CAPs (Combat Air Patrols).

By no means is the Hawk a fighter, but when you need to throw all of your assets up in the air, this is a great fit.

Last edited:

Mikesingh

Professional
Country flag
IAF monster drill stretches right up to Malacca Straits

Indian Air Force (IAF) fighters such as Su-30 MKIs and Jaguars with help from the Navy’s Poseidon-8i maritime reconnaissance aircraft extended their dominance over the Bay of Bengal region extending up to the Malacca Straits during the last phase of Exercise Gaganshakti 2018.

This exercise by IAF is being considered the biggest in recent times. After extensive rounds of flying well into the Arabian Sea along the country’s western seaboard, IAF turned its attention to the east. While operating from high altitude landing grounds was part of the drill, so was showcasing its powers to extend well beyond the mainland to places that can pose a threat to the nation.

“Dominance over the entire extended area of the Indian Ocean Region (IOR) with the Navy’s support is being demonstrated by employment of combat enablers like FRA (Flight Refuelling Aircraft). The Su-30s and Jaguars carried potent long-distance anti-shipping weaponry. While the Sukhois carried BrahMos missiles, the Jaguars were armed with the potent Harpoon anti-ship missiles. During the exercise, the Su-30s also displayed their capabilities of operating from air bases at the extreme east to strike targets far out at sea to the west of the country using air-to-air refuelling,” an official said.

During Phase-II, all maritime assets will be based out of southern naval bases and the Andamans. Extensive missions are being flown by Su-30s and Jaguars in conjunction with Navy’s P-8is using long range weapons to practice, revise and refine tactics. The aircraft practised both offensive and defensive roles.

More...http://www.defencenews.in/article/IAF-monster-drill-stretches-right-up-to-Malacca-Straits-547716

That's some overage! This is massive!

Alfalfa

Country flag
NS is proving to be an even better Def Min than Parrikar.
What does the Def Min have to do with any of this?? Parrikar was a clown, i was told this pointblank by a serving Rear Admiral so I WILL take his word for it..All this brouhaha about being an IITian w/o even realizing he was an MTech graduate which really isnt a big deal. I don't know about her, wish her well but goddam the Bhajpa fandom here is appalling!

scatterStorm

Country flag
IAF monster drill stretches right up to Malacca Straits

Indian Air Force (IAF) fighters such as Su-30 MKIs and Jaguars with help from the Navy’s Poseidon-8i maritime reconnaissance aircraft extended their dominance over the Bay of Bengal region extending up to the Malacca Straits during the last phase of Exercise Gaganshakti 2018.

This exercise by IAF is being considered the biggest in recent times. After extensive rounds of flying well into the Arabian Sea along the country’s western seaboard, IAF turned its attention to the east. While operating from high altitude landing grounds was part of the drill, so was showcasing its powers to extend well beyond the mainland to places that can pose a threat to the nation.

“Dominance over the entire extended area of the Indian Ocean Region (IOR) with the Navy’s support is being demonstrated by employment of combat enablers like FRA (Flight Refuelling Aircraft). The Su-30s and Jaguars carried potent long-distance anti-shipping weaponry. While the Sukhois carried BrahMos missiles, the Jaguars were armed with the potent Harpoon anti-ship missiles. During the exercise, the Su-30s also displayed their capabilities of operating from air bases at the extreme east to strike targets far out at sea to the west of the country using air-to-air refuelling,” an official said.

During Phase-II, all maritime assets will be based out of southern naval bases and the Andamans. Extensive missions are being flown by Su-30s and Jaguars in conjunction with Navy’s P-8is using long range weapons to practice, revise and refine tactics. The aircraft practised both offensive and defensive roles.

More...http://www.defencenews.in/article/IAF-monster-drill-stretches-right-up-to-Malacca-Straits-547716

That's some overage! This is massive!
Well that's how you piss to show dominance in your territory. :biggrin2:

Wow this I didn't expected. IDK but for the first time we see flexibility of IAF and IN to cooperate together. Now let's put some icing on the cake and bring in the "Tri-command HQ", elect Joint Chief of Staffs and monitor the entire nation. :daru:

mayfair

What does the Def Min have to do with any of this?? Parrikar was a clown, i was told this pointblank by a serving Rear Admiral so I WILL take his word for it..All this brouhaha about being an IITian w/o even realizing he was an MTech graduate which really isnt a big deal. I don't know about her, wish her well but goddam the Bhajpa fandom here is appalling!
What does that have to do with praising the Def Min.

Alfalfa

Country flag
What does that have to do with praising the Def Min.
Why praise the DefMin when exercises like these are planned by the IAF brass and all any Def Min would do is cheerlead! Would anyone say the same if this happened when Antony was DefMin... did the IFR get any Def Min any praise?

Global Defence

New threads

Articles