Fresh violence between Buddhists and Muslims leaves 13 dead in Myanmar

Galaxy

Country flag
Fresh violence between Buddhists and Muslims leaves 13 dead in Myanmar

Aug 11, 2012,

YANGON: At least 13 people have died in Myanmar in fresh sectarian violence, an official said on Saturday. The violence erupted five days ago in the Kyauktaw township of Rakhine state, Xinhua reported. Over 300 houses and a rice mill were destroyed in arson.

About 3,000 people were affected. Kyauktaw is about 120 km from the state capital Sittway.

The clashes broke out between ethnic Rakhinese Buddhists and Bengali speaking Rohingya Muslims.

Authorities had imposed a dusk-to-dawn curfew in Kyauktaw Wednesday, bringing to seventhe total number of areas placed under curfew in the state.

The state has already been under a state of emergency since June 10.

The riots first broke out in Rakhine in June, when some 90 people were killed and 100 others were injured.

Fresh violence between Buddhists and Muslims leaves 13 dead in Myanmar - The Times of India

maomao

Veteran Hunter of Maleecha
Country flag
Myanmar will survive due to its bravery and realization of truth!

Can't say the same about India, if it remains secular for another 10-20 years!

drkrn

Buddhism is always a religion of peace.
if there is communal riots going to extent of killing, and fingers pointed to Buddhists,then there is some serious differences between both groups.

Rahul92

I believe it's the military which is doing this i don't believe for that matter i can't even think a monk killing a human

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
I believe it's the military which is doing this i don't believe for that matter i can't even think a monk killing a human
Then you have not seen the militant monks of Sri Lanka !

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
I thought it had abated.

This world is getting to be a dangerous place.

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
SWRD Bandaraniayeke, teh Sri Lankan Prime Minister was killed by Talduwe Somarama, a Buddhist monk.

On 25 September 1959, Somarama visited Bandaranaike at his private residence, Tintagel, in Rosmead Place, Colombo.

Somarama, being a Buddhist monk, was not searched for weapons. He was allowed in to meet the Prime Minister since it was his habit to meet monks etc.

Bandaranaiyeke got up to meet the monk and prostrated himself.

The monk plucked out the revolver hidden in his robes and fired at the prostrate prime minister.

Bandaranaiyeke died the next day in hospital.

Buddhist can be lethal too!

ani82v

Country flag
I think there is a difference.
It would be difficult for a Buddhist to find a religious justification for political violence as opposed to Islam.
And preaching peace when there is no reciprocation is a dumb Gandhian move.

The wisest worldly virtue is not meek peace, its tit for tat.

lcatejas

Hey any body know where is Mohammad Mulayam Singh...:laugh:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles