France first European nation to back anti-Assad coalition

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
France has become the first Western power to recognise Syria's opposition coalition as the sole legitimate representative of the Syrian people.

The move was announced by President Francois Hollande at a televised news conference in Paris.

Syrian opposition groups struck a deal in the Qatari capital Doha on Sunday to form a broad coalition to overthrow President Bashar al-Assad.

The US and Britain have both signalled support for the coalition.

But they stopped short of recognising it as a government-in-exile.

Gulf Arab states have declared the coalition to be the sole legitimate representative of the Syrian people.

BBC News - Syria: France backs anti-Assad coalition

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
It will look like a dick move if the Syrians don't agree to it.

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Mr. Hollande is trying to punch above his weight in a hurry. Hope will not get crushed by his effort. If you ask this Syria thing is now fraught with political uncertainties especially with the rather heavy handed and brutal actions of some factions of the rebels.

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Do France, Britain and US take their position to support liberty and democracy?

(Waiting for Messiah's input here.)

indian_sukhoi

They were to first to supply weapons to rebels and the most eager one to hold a grip on country Oil exports :p

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
Nah, Syria and Iran are two safe countries. No NATO country will attack them in a hurry. The shadow of China-Russia combine protects them both. The pauper, insolvent economies of the west would think a hundred times before going beyond their silly schoolboy rhetoric.

average american

Nah, Syria and Iran are two safe countries. No NATO country will attack them in a hurry. The shadow of China-Russia combine protects them both. The pauper, insolvent economies of the west would think a hundred times before going beyond their silly schoolboy rhetoric.
I doubt if the west is afraid or worried about China or Russia, Muslims killing Muslims just does not concern the world that much any more. Neither the Chinese or the Russians have the ability to project power to that part of the world. I expect the attacks on Israel are an effort to take some pressure off of Syria.

Last edited:

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
French are major backstabbers ?

First Libya, then Syria ?

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
I doubt if the west is afraid or worried about China or Russia, Muslims killing Muslims just does not concern the world that much any more. Neither the Chinese or the Russians have the ability to project power to that part of the world. I expect the attacks on Israel are an effort to take some pressure off of Syria.
The world does not run according to your doubts and expectations.

pack leader

Professional
don't be ignorant there is normal Islam as practiced in central Asia turkey and the south Asian islands (normal people)
and there is imperialistic Islamo-Fascism as practiced by Arabs Pakistanis and the Iranian elite (not normal Iranians )

average american

don't be ignorant there is normal Islam as practiced in central Asia turkey and the south Asian islands (normal people)
and there is imperialistic Islamo-Fascism as practiced by Arabs Pakistanis and the Iranian elite (not normal Iranians )
About everywhere you look Muslims are killing some one, if its not non muslims, its muslims. It is a certain fact that not all Muslims are terrorists, but it is equally certain, that almost all terrorists are Muslims.

Global Defence

Articles